And the New England Patriots Select...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: And the New England Patriots Select...

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select...:
    In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : And my point is they'll take the best talent available regardless of position and WR will certainly be in the discussion.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

That's the bottom line isn't it, to all this draft discussion?  If Tate is higher on their board than Graham or some other DL/OLB, they'll pick him or trade down.  Trading down is not out of the question, nor should it be.  Trading down in the past hasn't been the problem with their recent drafts, it's been picking the wrong guys when their turn came up.

Also, someone earlier lumped Terry Glenn and Irving Fryar in with Hart Lee Dykes.  Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good rant, but Fryar, like him or not, is a HOFer stat wise.  Has better numbers than some guys who are in the Hall, including 13th all time in receiving yards, more than Art Monk and Michael Irvin and a whole bunch of other guys who are in and comparable overall numbers to Steve Largent.  Glenn, while not in that class, had some productive years and was certainly not a bust like Dykes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : And my point is they'll take the best talent available regardless of position and WR will certainly be in the discussion.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Not if the position is filled....they would likely trade out of the position than take a position that they don't need.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

mb I got a name for you in late rounds, Kelton Tindal.  This is a guy who would need 2 years under a good coach to become a good receiver but could be a KR/PR next year. Not saying he would be a #1 or 2 or even a 3 but this guy has some speed with size.  If he's there in the 7th I would throw a pick to get him and bring him in to the practice squad for a year and teach him the game. If the Pats do not grad Tate or another WR in the first two rounds I would like in the 6th Marcus Easley.  http://www.rookiedraft.com/?p=947   Another late round (one that's further along than Easley) is Alric Arnett.  This kid has wheels and also has good hands.  Can improve his route running but so most of college kids coming out.  He's projected as a 6th rounder but if he has a good combine he could move into the 5th or 4th.  He is 6'2" 190lbs runs a 4.4 I agree with you, we need to find Moss replacement this year.  Any of the kids that I shared have size, speed, hands to possibly develop into a #1 but will need work. 
    Posted by Pats7393

He is saying to use a 1st or second round pick on WR....You would do that?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : That's the bottom line isn't it, to all this draft discussion?  If Tate is higher on their board than Graham or some other DL/OLB, they'll pick him or trade down.  Trading down is not out of the question, nor should it be.  Trading down in the past hasn't been the problem with their recent drafts, it's been picking the wrong guys when their turn came up. Also, someone earlier lumped Terry Glenn and Irving Fryar in with Hart Lee Dykes.  Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good rant, but Fryar, like him or not, is a HOFer stat wise.  Has better numbers than some guys who are in the Hall, including 13th all time in receiving yards, more than Art Monk and Michael Irvin and a whole bunch of other guys who are in and comparable overall numbers to Steve Largent.  Glenn, while not in that class, had some productive years and was certainly not a bust like Dykes.
    Posted by Muzwell

Muzwell,
    Indeed, I don't buy into the philosophy of drafting a guy at a specific position just because there is a need there, I prefer them to take the best available talent (and believe that is NE' philosophy today) regardless of position to ugrade the roster. 

I agree about your comment in regards to them trading down, it has more to do with who they drafted vs. when they drafted. 

Yeah, I don't put much into the argument of well X result happend when we drafted X position in X year before so lets do it (or not do it) again.   Each individual player and draft is different and can't really be compared. 

Agreed on the Fryar, Glenn and Dykes comment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : He is saying to use a 1st or second round pick on WR....You would do that?
    Posted by m1021us

I'm not high on the idea but certainly I would, Tate is the only guy I would think about doing this with for a number of reasons.  A number of reports came out last year about BB targeting Percy Harvin and how the Vikes pulled a fast one by selecting him the pick before (#22 last year).  This is why NE moved out of the 23rd spot and traded with Baltimore.

Tate is a similar player who played in a similar system the patriots run.  With tha been said I would grab Graham or Spikes with the 22nd and hope Tate is there in the second (he won't be) but I also won't be upset if Tate is the pick at 22.

There are number of pass rushers available in the 2nd there are not a lot of Tates available.  If you pass on pass rush to take tate you can still get a good 34 LB in the 2nd.  I won't name them all but I'm high on Austen Lane.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Posted by mbeaulieu07

i think you're on to something here. i believe this is the year that bb changes his draft philosophy. in previous years, he believed that there few holes that need to be plugged. it made sense to target specific candidates and trade down if needed to avoid reaching. (i hope) bb realized from the past year that has too many holes to fill to even think of playing the draft that way. he needs to bring in top talent, a lot of them, to fill not just this year's needs but emerging needs in years to come. this year he will draft the best available on the board, and not trade down where he thinks his plug will be.

Sections
Shortcuts