And then Brady said...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: And then Brady said...

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

I think people need to chill a bit.  We don't really have a sense for what kind of team we have until about 5th or 6th game.  We are 2-0, ugly as that might be in terms of how we got them.

When the schedule came out, most prognosticators had the Pats at 3-3 or 2-4.  They have a good shot at going 4-2 after six games, even with the raw rookie WRs.  Just think about it, give Brady more time with the young receivers and we may see something magical in the second half of the season.  

I have no crystal ball (nor does anyone else the last time I looked) but I can see a much stronger team on offense as the year goes on, and the W-L record is not going to be badly affected by nurturing the receivers who will likely form the nucleus for a long time! 

Agree!

Wouldn't it be nice if TB had the same set of receivers for the rest of his career? Not having to break in new guys every year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Imagine Pay-me-a-ton Manning facing what Brady is having to face now!!

Granted, he has played for only two franchises, but, both tinkered with their offensive personnel to satisfy Manning.  No such thing for Brady.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

I think people need to chill a bit.  We don't really have a sense for what kind of team we have until about 5th or 6th game.  We are 2-0, ugly as that might be in terms of how we got them.

When the schedule came out, most prognosticators had the Pats at 3-3 or 2-4.  They have a good shot at going 4-2 after six games, even with the raw rookie WRs.  Just think about it, give Brady more time with the young receivers and we may see something magical in the second half of the season.  

I have no crystal ball (nor does anyone else the last time I looked) but I can see a much stronger team on offense as the year goes on, and the W-L record is not going to be badly affected by nurturing the receivers who will likely form the nucleus for a long time! 

Agree!

Wouldn't it be nice if TB had the same set of receivers for the rest of his career? Not having to break in new guys every year?

I beleive that was the plan as soon as they worked out his extension which will keep him here 5 more years.

They had gronk & hern already locked up. They traded in welker for DA (5 year deal) and addressed the WR's in the draft.

The hern thing blindsided them but hopefully Sudfeld will ease that sting a little.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Team player!  Team leader!  Trying to take some pressure off the rookie WR's who have the deer in the headlight looks on their faces going into the past two games.

He should be publicly questioning why he wasn't given any talent to work with.  Why did he do a contract restructure for a steak dinner and only got a hamburger.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

He put pressure on them with his sideline antics.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

[QUOTE]

Agree!

[/QUOTE]

You know what dude or lady? 

You claim to be an optimist but some how seem to like to get digs in at TB, just like a certain troll. 

Why the hell would an optomist or fan make a comment like that?

Do you want your team to win?  Which team is that?

How about TB breaks in 1 new receiver, a year, over 4 years?   Instead of 4 in one year.

Make sense?

Then when that  (one) new #5-6 receiver fails or isn't ready, he doesn't have to start and the O doesn't have to rely on 4 new guys in the most important offensive positions, to WIN YOU GAMES. 

La dee da, dee dumb!  UGH!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

[QUOTE]

Team player!  Team leader!  Trying to take some pressure off the rookie WR's who have the deer in the headlight looks on their faces going into the past two games.

He should be publicly questioning why he wasn't given any talent to work with.  Why did he do a contract restructure for a steak dinner and only got a hamburger.

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

[/QUOTE]

His sideline antics were directed at Edelman, not the rookies. 

These rookies, not ready to start, are being hurt more by being thrown in there to sink or swim.

I'm sure those 10% completion percentages and drops after drops are doing wonders for their confidence.

Hopefully they improve, but there's no guarantee of that.  Hopefully, it doesn't take 5-8 years to fix the O, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

I attribute Brady's reactions on Thursday night to the fact that he is one of the most competitve human beings on this planet. He is also no dummy and realized that his injury-riddled squad would be in for a fight against the hated Jets. Therefore, every opportunity to put points on the board would be critical, so near misses were that much more frustrating and worrisome. 

Translate his responses as, "These are the #@!@# JETS! We CANNOT lose to the Jets at Foxboro ... it is just NOT ACCEPTABLE!". This is actually the very thinking that we want the young guys to adopt as it will accelerate their progress.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

These rookies, not ready to start, are being hurt more by being thrown in there to sink or swim.

I'm sure those 10% completion percentages and drops after drops are doing wonders for their confidence.

Hopefully they improve, but there's no guarantee of that.  Hopefully, it doesn't take 5-8 years to fix the O, too.

[/QUOTE]

No, the cursing was directed at Edelman, who, if Tom wants to yell at he should since Edelman is in his 3rd year in the system. But the helmet throwing and yelling was directed at Dobson, why do you think he's apologizing for his behavior? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

that wouldonly hurt the team and Brady wouldn't nor should he ever do something like that. Brady was exactly right in what he said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

Brady makes the Oline look better than they are because he has the quickest release time in the NFL.  

Unfortunately not being able to make a hole for running backs can't be massaged by the running backs.  So if the Oline can't block everyone says the running backs suck.

Rushing yards Bucs vs Jets 25-65-1 vs Saints 33-160-0
    Rushing yards Pats vs Jets 24-54-0 vs Bills 35-158-0

I see a pattern. It seems some of us have vastly underrated the AFC East.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to FrankDooley's comment:

Pezzy, you are the one who roots openly against BB and our D. You're the troll, Patricia.

Really, Brady basher?   Come again?

Biggest troll alive.    Are you alive?

Panther fan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Give it time,  yes it's ugly but they are 2-0 and will get better. Brady is a competitor and was frustrated with the sloppy play of the entire offense. In all of their struggles Brady still doesn't turn the ball over, watch guys like Eli and others who kill their teams with bad decisions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

In response to fanonymost's comment:

I attribute Brady's reactions on Thursday night to the fact that he is one of the most competitve human beings on this planet. He is also no dummy and realized that his injury-riddled squad would be in for a fight against the hated Jets. Therefore, every opportunity to put points on the board would be critical, so near misses were that much more frustrating and worrisome. 

Translate his responses as, "These are the #@!@# JETS! We CANNOT lose to the Jets at Foxboro ... it is just NOT ACCEPTABLE!". This is actually the very thinking that we want the young guys to adopt as it will accelerate their progress.

Well said

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Brady should have yelled at dobson. Not everyone here gets a trophy. What was he doing Venis de Milo impersonation? ( no arms or hands...  get it? )When its all over and done Brady wont be telling his grand kids... "I played with Arron Dobson", it'll be Dobson telling his grandkids "I played with Tom Brady, he even yelled at me once!".

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Tom Brady is lying.

And he hates Bill Belichick. He agrees with texas pat, pizza, hurtl, prolate, and the guy that works for BDC with the Parelli avatar, that BB wouldn't know talent if it challenged him to a game of ball bag tag.

brady knows that BB keeps getting scrubs like:

Himself

Seymour

Wilfork

Branch

Givens

Ted washington

Ty warren

Jarvis green

Bobby hamilton

Bryon cox

Dan graham

Fauria

Patton

Phifer

T-buck

A smith

Matt light

Dan koppen

Stephen neal

Corey dillion

Rodney harrison

Mke vrabel

Larry izzo

Randy moss

Wes welker

Donte Stalworth

Rosie colvin

Ben watson

Asante samuel

Tyrone pool

Eugene wilson

Brian waters

Mankins

Connoly

Julian edelman

Nate solder

Volmer

Ridley

Vareen

Gronkowski

Hernandez

Woodhead

Bjge

Mayo

Nink

Dennard

Arrington

Collins

Amendola

Brandon lloyd

Ghost

Mesko

Spikes

Chandler jones

Devin mccourty

Aquib talib

Andre carter

Tommy Kelly

Hightower

I mean look at this list of hacks. Brady has never had help, and BB is just lucky he was drunk on draft night and drafted Brady by mistake.

"Defense Wins Championships"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think we all need to cut him some slack. QBs are notorius for being prima donnas. Brady is in his 14th year? Dealing with a whole new rebuilt cast of Rookies and Special teamers. He is putting in the work and not seeing immediate results. Thats gotta be frustrating. He is still human though right? So of couse he looked frustrated after the game. Probably at his weapons, at his coach(why all the deep shots) and at this GM(this is what u give him) and so all that and he cant Vent? I hear folks saying he was too hard, he shouldnt yell??  This  IS the NFL right? Im not feeling sorry for the rooks.

A better game plan and a run game will help as well. Brady is the Man. He will right the ship cuz he is not going out like a chump. Wozzy looks Like I was wrong about Dobson. He finally showed his speed but now I have to ask,. What was his wonderlic. People bragged about him not dropping a ball ALL senior year. Well that was college. Here he has to start over, but I like his skillset. Needs to focus more. Brady needs to  have a better gameplan. Let them get acclimated with shorter routes first.

I don't blame Brady for anything, I love his passion.

As far as the rookies go, both Dobson and Thompkins dropped a couple of easy ones, but the more glaring mistakes weren't drops but rather plays where they didn't get their head around in time and the ball sailed right by them, or other instances where they were supposed to cut the route short and comeback to the ball and they reacted too slowly.  All of this can be fixed with reps and time.

[/QUOTE]

Good post. 

I don't mind the drops, if they get on top of them. OR the routes, because (presumably) those will fix in time.

It looked like they were losing Dobson mentally out there last game (the play where he wasn't even looking for the ball). 

That is something to think about. It tells you something about a guy when he uplugs while the going is tough. 

Does it mean I know exactly why he did that? No. But that is what it looked like. It's very rare that a WR isn't looking for the ball at the termination of his route. And when the do, it looks like they are going through the motions. 

After all is said and done, I think that bears monitoring. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's way too early to tell. 

"Brady has completed 65 percent of his throws elsewhere, but he wouldn't pin the offense's deficiencies on the rookies."

That is a telling stat. If it were 10% to the rookies I wouldn't be surprised. And I don't blame them ... they are coming along (or not) at their rate. And I don't blame Brady, because he can't make them run the routes correctly. 

I blame the situation. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Good post. 

I don't mind the drops, if they get on top of them. OR the routes, because (presumably) those will fix in time.

It looked like they were losing Dobson mentally out there last game (the play where he wasn't even looking for the ball). 

That is something to think about. It tells you something about a guy when he uplugs while the going is tough. 

Does it mean I know exactly why he did that? No. But that is what it looked like. It's very rare that a WR isn't looking for the ball at the termination of his route. And when the do, it looks like they are going through the motions. 

Maybe you're right. OTOH on the second to last drive, Dobson caught a ball over the middle, converting on 3rd down. With about 6 or 7 minutes to go that was a really good time to step up. I get that he dropped some passes, but I like to look at his performance with my rose colored glasses on. And with those on, I see 3 receptions, 56 yards, 1 TD, and another converting on 3rd down. This from a guy playing his very first game in the NFL, after having been hampered for some time with a minor injury, and knowing there was Edelman , Thompinks, himself and nobody else, with the best QB in the history of the game under center. Talk about pressure.

Those receptions were important in winning the game. Now, I'm not saying he was MVP of the game, but I think a lot of people are throwing Dobson under the bus way, way too fast. There is talent there.

The problem with the situation isn't who is playing and who is not playing af WR. It is the total lack production in the passing game from RB and TE (after the loss of Vereen).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Tom Brady is lying.

And he hates Bill Belichick. He agrees with texas pat, pizza, hurtl, prolate, and the guy that works for BDC with the Parelli avatar, that BB wouldn't know talent if it challenged him to a game of ball bag tag.

brady knows that BB keeps getting scrubs like:

Himself

Seymour

Wilfork

Branch

Givens

Ted washington

Ty warren

Jarvis green

Bobby hamilton

Bryon cox

Dan graham

Fauria

Patton

Phifer

T-buck

A smith

Matt light

Dan koppen

Stephen neal

Corey dillion

Rodney harrison

Mke vrabel

Larry izzo

Randy moss

Wes welker

Donte Stalworth

Rosie colvin

Ben watson

Asante samuel

Tyrone pool

Eugene wilson

Brian waters

Mankins

Connoly

Julian edelman

Nate solder

Volmer

Ridley

Vareen

Gronkowski

Hernandez

Woodhead

Bjge

Mayo

Nink

Dennard

Arrington

Collins

Amendola

Brandon lloyd

Ghost

Mesko

Spikes

Chandler jones

Devin mccourty

Aquib talib

Andre carter

Tommy Kelly

Hightower

I mean look at this list of hacks. Brady has never had help, and BB is just lucky he was drunk on draft night and drafted Brady by mistake.

"Defense Wins Championships"

Yep....fire BB....guy doesn't have a clue!! LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I think we all need to cut him some slack. QBs are notorius for being prima donnas. Brady is in his 14th year? Dealing with a whole new rebuilt cast of Rookies and Special teamers. He is putting in the work and not seeing immediate results. Thats gotta be frustrating. He is still human though right? So of couse he looked frustrated after the game. Probably at his weapons, at his coach(why all the deep shots) and at this GM(this is what u give him) and so all that and he cant Vent? I hear folks saying he was too hard, he shouldnt yell??  This  IS the NFL right? Im not feeling sorry for the rooks.

A better game plan and a run game will help as well. Brady is the Man. He will right the ship cuz he is not going out like a chump. Wozzy looks Like I was wrong about Dobson. He finally showed his speed but now I have to ask,. What was his wonderlic. People bragged about him not dropping a ball ALL senior year. Well that was college. Here he has to start over, but I like his skillset. Needs to focus more. Brady needs to  have a better gameplan. Let them get acclimated with shorter routes first.

I don't blame Brady for anything, I love his passion.

As far as the rookies go, both Dobson and Thompkins dropped a couple of easy ones, but the more glaring mistakes weren't drops but rather plays where they didn't get their head around in time and the ball sailed right by them, or other instances where they were supposed to cut the route short and comeback to the ball and they reacted too slowly.  All of this can be fixed with reps and time.

Good post. 

well now we know why our highest pick was 3rd on the depth chart behing an undrafted guy. Im not saying the guy isnt good, but I would ask what his wonderlic was, you know what im saying? Some here pointed to him not dropping any balls in college but this is the NFL. He will be a good player once he settles in. I believe that. If he doesnt, Brady wont be throwing to him. This I know. Most I can say now is that the Amendola injury Could be a blessing. The 1st game, Danny hauled in 10 passes in Limited action. The Rookies would never have got ALL these looks in a game as long as Amendola was on the field and getting open and dont we want Brady to develop other options so we arent easily defended in January?  I have no problem with these guys. A LOT is being asked of them and they are doing FINE as long as they dont check out. I noticed Dobson not looking back for the ball. I would chalk it up to him just having an up and down 1st game. I wouldnt look too much into it unless it kept happening. 1st game??  Ill give him a pass. Remember what David Givens looked like Rookie Year? He developed into a solid # 2.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

Like Brady, I have had time to reflect on thoughts-----I was critical of him as a leader for throwing those tantrums.  I do understand now the feelings.  But, as a leader, when your followers see you losing it---what do they normally do?  They become fearful.  Fearful people very rarely succeed at things.  I do recognize now the burden of losing to the Jets at home was probably overwhelming in some aspects---but this was not all the receivers fault.  No running game---no blocking for the running game---no tight end involvemen---tough weather conditions.  A lot to account for.  I commend TB for coming out w/these comments--because he takes responsibilities for his actions and also reassures his teammates.  The reality is---they will all get better.  Seriously, how many times in the past few years do we remember wide receivers on our team getting behind defenses consistently?  Gronk --yep, but not really the receivers unless it was a gimmick play.  These guys will force teams to account for the deep ball---and that will also take time for Tom to adjust---he hasn't had to make that many types of throws in the last few years (since the "real 81") left.  But, we have to get the running game going again. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

Z you're right that there is no excuse for Dobson not getting his head around, beyond being a rookie with first game jitters, Thompkins looked a smidgen better than he did in game one, but all the receivers outside of Edelman looked spooked.

I have to stand by the notion this will improve with time and real games, there will be an "a ha" moment with these guys, hopefully sooner than later.  I hope all this week they have been a point of focus during practice and it shows on Sunday, but it may take until midseason before they really get it.  

Either way, nobody should have assumed we would win every game.  That's why most of the moaning about "Belichick is a bad GM" is just entitled, cry baby talk... we're still 2-0 and have room to lose a few.

Just for a moment take a leap of faith and assume these guys work out and stay healthy, with this crew of receivers it will be the best collection of talent Brady has worked with since 07.'  We would actually have a full cadre of receivers that can beat you deep or underneath, we haven't had that since Moss and Welker were together, but we'd actually have more depth.  

It takes a little imagination now, but I'd call it foresight not fantasy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Let me add this to this discussion, one thing Brady has not really talked about, and that is about the defense of the Pats since 2006.

Since 2007, the offense of the Pats has gone off setting all sorts of records.  Conversely, the defense went down hill.  In the AFCCG of 2006, SB of 2007 and the SB of 2011, the Pats had leads late in each game and the D gave it up.  When Brady sits on the bench after getting the team the lead late in a game, only to watch helplessly as the D gives up big play after another to see the opponent grab the lead, must have been frustrating.  Even though the O did get the ball back, with not much time left, the fact is, for most of the game the D kept the other team in check only to crumble late in the game.  Yet, Brady does not say word one about the failure of the D to keep the lead.  Yes, we can say something about the offense not having scored "enough" to win, ( read = it didn't score 30 points ), but, in a close game, the D has to at least do its part and not think the O will bail it out by scoring a ton of points.  There are games in which the opponent's D played real well. ( read = Giants of SB 42 and 46 ).  Rusty makes it all about Brady, Brady makes it all about TEAM and he does not point fingers. 

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Let me add this to this discussion, one thing Brady has not really talked about, and that is about the defense of the Pats since 2006.

Agree, but I would say it wasn't just the defense that regressed, the offense also went downhill after 2008, they became smaller, more finesse, could beat you in fewer ways, couldn't sustain a small lead by playing keep away or a ball control style of play and had no receivers who could beat you over the top or on the edges.  

Overall the team was in need of a huge rebuild, 2007-08' was the last hurrah for the oldschool vets on the team, that's why they went for it all in 07.'  I still think in 08' with a healthy Brady they had a shot to win it all, even with Cassel if there hadn't been that early learning curve they could have made noise in the playoffs.  

That the team even made the playoffs from 09'-2011 is a testament to Belichick and Brady's greatness along with Vince, McCourty, Mayo, Mankins etc... who covered up huge deficiencies in the depth chart.

Sections
Shortcuts