AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CLASS OF 2007 AND MOST OF 2006-2008?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CLASS OF 2007 AND MOST OF 2006-2008?

Brandon Siler, C. Stuckey. Alan Ball, Jason Snelling, Ahmad Bradshaw, C.Ndukwe, all pretty decent players were picked in the 7th round of the 2007 draft AFTER we picked up these guys in the late 6th and early 7th... Justice Hairston, Corey Hilliard, Oscar Lua(looked ok, till knee inujury)...so I mean, did Bill just pick names out of a hat, cuz he knew they wouldnt make the team??  These guys we picked are ALL out of football and were never in it for that matter, they were CUT and not picked up by anyone else and never played a down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CLASS OF 2007 AND MOST OF 2006-2008?

So your point is . . .  what?

If you had a time machine you could draft better than all the NFL gm's?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Ignore the facts all you want....if they wanted Goldson so bad a few weeks ago...trade down as you always do and get your man...and besides the 1st round, I listed every other round with contributing players versus none making the team for us....you still gonna just point out what you want, so why even bother chiming in if you aint gonna speak on all the rounds and what Ive listed...just admit Bill missed on all those players...up until round 7 guys are still playing...so stop it with the 1-15 picks...I listed every round didnt I  ???

But im insecure right? and irrational...those words cant mean all you make them to mean...I just layed out the facts for you....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

My point was there was Talent in the 07' draft. Top to Bottom.  I am not saying Bill should have , or could have, this was a response to the idiots who say..."Bill didnt like that draft, there were no players that year"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I can't stand these CC posts where you claim some kind of false high ground because AFTER the fact you pointed out the bloody obvious. This isn't your best work. Bringing the Red Sox into it clouds whatever flimsy point you were trying to make.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Jon Randle was an undrafted rookie free agent.

Peyton Manning is a first ballot Hall-of-Famer. Ryan Leaf is the single biggest draft bust in NFL history, probably; and yet going into the '98 draft, no one really knew who the Colts were going to take with the first overall pick until probably the morning of the draft. The competition was THAT close between those two guys, and there were plenty of "pundits" who felt that Indy had made the wrong choice that day.

That's all you need to know about how much of a crapshoot the draft is.

BB's draft record is better than most. That's simply a fact, and yet I'm still pi$$ed at him for drafting Daniel Graham over Ed Reed in 2002....hey, it happens. Who knew the Ravens were getting a HOF'er when they took Reed? Not even Ozzie Newsome knew it at the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

How UNBelichickian to spend time counting beans we already spent.  We play with the team we have now, the purpose and intent of the draft is to build teams, we have a great team, ergo, the drafts were good.  Sorry we don't win the Superbowl every year, and we have lost a few playoff games lately.  That shouldn't happen.  Most of the other top teams win the superbowl EVERY year and never lose in the playoffs at all, do they?  Stupid premise entirely.  But you guys act like its the end of the world.  I don't care, and YOU and Babe are both losers.  You would rather root around in a pile of trash than enjoy the season.  I'm putting you both on mental /ignore.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

As I posted earlier, the point of this thread is what, exactly?  That BB didn't draft some players that are now still playing and playing well in the league? OK, that's probably true but, again, so what?

Egad, for the life of me I don't get these second-guessing threads 4 years post-event.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CLASS OF 2007 AND MOST OF 2006-2008?:
    My point was there was Talent in the 07' draft. Top to Bottom.  I am not saying Bill should have , or could have, this was a response to the idiots who say..."Bill didnt like that draft, there were no players that year"
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Rusty, please read this again, above. I am not saying this or that...just pointing out there was talent as a lot people made  the excuse of it not being talented draft ,   and to point out who was on our roster doesnt change the fact that all of Bills players were out of football THAT year from the 07' draft, so to say Ahmad fumbles...I mean he is a NFl player who has had success..instantly making him better than any one we picked, besides the trade for Wes and Moss

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

By your theory Russ, just because Bill traded for Wes and Moss meant he didnt have to come away with squat for the rest of the 7 or so picks....I mean you are still expected to try and get players or else trade the pics.

Some of these guys in 07' werent on anyones radar, I am just curious as to who scouted that year...seems we were in a flux after the 06' season...I mean Justin Rogers out of S.M.U....thats a head scratcher you have to admit....

its one thing to miss on a Darius Butler who was hyped but to pick guys from StoneHill College is puzzling to me...thats all, but I like the past 2 years so far

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Just to add a little context, listed below is the entire 1981 draft board for the NY Giants (all 12 rounds).

Not much after that first round pick, right? Byron Hunt, the 9th rounder, was a pretty good "depth" linebacker on their playoff teams later in the 80s--wasn't a starter, I don't believe, but he was a decent 3-4 LB.

They drafted a LOT of players that day, but only Taylor really stands out.

Do you think Giants' fans would like to go back and have a "do-over" on that one? Do you think they sit and stew over the fact that of the 14 or so players picked that day only Taylor and Hunt stuck around for more than 2 or 3 years? Or do you think they still consider drafting one of the greatest players of all time, and not much else that day, a pretty good draft haul?

Except for 2006, BB has consistently come away from the draft with at least one very good player--either via trades, as in 2007, or by drafting them. Those criticizing even the 2008 draft have to realize that picking Mayo makes it a good draft, even if all of the other picks are gone by next year's training camp.

Round - Pick (Overall Pick)
    1-2 (2) - Lawrence Taylor, North Carolina, LB  
    2-4 (32) - Dave Young, Purdue, TE  
    3-3 (59) - John Mistler, Arizona State, WR  
    4-2 (85) - Clifford Chatman, Central State (OK), RB  
    5-4 (115) - Bill Neill, Pittsburgh, DT  
    6-7 (145) - Mel Hoover, Arizona State, WR  
    6-27 (165) - Edward O'Neal, Tuskegee, RB  
    7-2 (168) - Louis Jackson, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, RB  
    8-4 (197) - John Powers, Michigan, G  
    8-14 (207) - Mark Reed, Morehead State, QB  
    8-28 (221) - Bill Ard, Wake Forest, G  
    9-3 (224) - Byron Hunt, Southern Methodist, LB  
    10-2 (250) - Mike Barker, Grambling, DT  
    12-3 (307) - Mike Maher, Western Illinois, TE  

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The only logical conclusion that can be drawn from any of this is that maybe the draft isn't all that important after all, despite what all the "experts" tell us.  So the Pats had some crummy drafts, you certainly wouldn't know it by their record over the years.  I'm surprised the great contrarian didn't come up with this?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The draft matters to those teams who need players....The 07' team was stacked , So I get that we didnt need the players...As for me,  the things I posted was just to show there were players in the 07 draft, a bunch of them....but I  am not questioning the crap shoot,....but rather why people say "Bill didnt like this crappy draft" 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

If the Jets had done the exact same thing as we did in our 07' draft, Russ would be all over the board, talking about these players not even seeing the field ever, but since its the Pats, he writes it off w/Moss and Wes and points to players that Bill didnt like..so like I said, did he jsut pull names out of hats, cuz he had a full roster, or did he actually think out drafting those duds.

I mean besides Meri, none of those guys were around more than a month..thats pretty bad, even if only one year...I didnt even get into the 08' draft cuz the post is mainly about 07'.  So my response was to the guys that say "show me the other teams that did better"  well in 07' , every other team..if you take out Moss and Wes, and NO they were not drafted,...we had draft pics we used..so Yes, You HAVE to count those too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CLASS OF 2007 AND MOST OF 2006-2008?:
    ...So my response was to the guys that say "show me the other teams that did better"  well in 07' , every other team..if you take out Moss and Wes, and NO they were not drafted,...we had draft pics we used..so Yes, You HAVE to count those too.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I'll stipulate that the Pats "lost" the 2006-08 drafts.  You win on that point.  So what?  They've done nothing but win during those years and thereafter.  Why do people wring their hands about what happened years ago in a draft?  Why does it matter how they acquired their players, as long as the players are talented and team performs well?     

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CLASS OF 2007 AND MOST OF 2006-2008? : I'll stipulate that the Pats "lost" the 2006-08 drafts.  You win on that point.  So what?  They've done nothing but win during those years and thereafter.  Why do people wring their hands about what happened years ago in a draft?  Why does it matter how they acquired their players, as long as the players are talented and team performs well?     
    Posted by Muzwell

Well, I don't consider a draft that produced Jerod Mayo and a 1,000 yard rusher (BJGE) as a "lost" draft. True, they missed on a lot of picks that year, and the Wheatley-McKenzie-O'Connell troika in rounds 2 and 3 were especially bad picks.

But any time you get a guy like Mayo, and then tack on a very good UFA like Green-Ellis, the draft can't be graded a failure.

C-minus, given all the picks they had? Perhaps.

But not a failure...and if Mayo makes it to 8 or 9 Pro Bowls, even if no one else remains with the team from that draft, the grade has to climb up into the "Bs" at least. (See that 1981 Giants draft board that I posted earlier---LT and a bunch of nothing, but my guess is that Giants fans are still happy with that draft.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Because in 06 we lost to an inferior Colts team that we had on the ropes. In 08' we didnt make the playoffs and in 07' we rocked the NFL in the regular season and fell flat in the SB.  Having a better draft, maybe even just one player could change the outcome of these games....

Im sorry but when you have the unquestioned Best Qb and Coach in the league with muiltiple high picks, its SB or Bust , IMO...and Im not happy contending every year, in fact it is worse to me to dominate the regular season and be one and done than to not make it at all...atleast to me...I could have done w/out watching the B-More game in 09' or the Jets last year!  Was I supposed to be happy just making the playoffs.  Esp. a bye week too!, in the B.B. era should atleast get you to the AFCCG, not the gawd dam Jets!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

And if my grandmother had balls she'd be my grandfather.  Egad what a pointless thread!

Sections
Shortcuts