And we signed Fred Taylor WHY??????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from robbritt. Show robbritt's posts

And we signed Fred Taylor WHY??????

I see where once again, Fragile Fred Taylor will be sitting out yet another Patriots game. 2009 - 6 games, started 1, 63 carries, 2 receptions. 2010 - 25 carries... now he's out again, leaving us with 3 running backs. Time to cut our losses and release him or (if possible) trade him. Maroney wasn't the answer, that was clear, but neither is Taylor. Great career, best of luck to you, but adios. I don't know what else is out there but I'd rather go with an available unknown than hoping each week Taylor MIGHT be available for a carry or two.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Re: And we signed Fred Taylor WHY??????

No clue whatsoever! Lets Go Green-Ellis! Lets go Clayton! Lets go Woodhead! Lets GO PATS!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Since Corey Dillon left, we havent had a running back in 5 years. It is no coincidence in those 5 years the Patriots have declined while other rivals have improved. Some teams have 3rd string running backs that are much better than ours.  Our running backs are inacapable of making big plays and staying healthy.

We all knew F. Taylor would get hurt. Nobody could seriously sit here and say that they counted that Taylor would be playing for 16 games. He has been hurt for years!  Sammy Morris is the same story.

Now BJGE is getting hyped up as if he is the next Adrian Peterson. He had a decent game against maybe the worst team in the league. He cannot run for a 100 yards against Miami or any other decent team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: And we signed Fred Taylor WHY??????:
    Since Corey Dillon left, we havent had a running back in 5 years. It is no coincidence in those 5 years the Patriots have declined while other rivals have improved. Some teams have 3rd string running backs that are much better than ours.  Our running backs are inacapable of making big plays and staying healthy. We all knew F. Taylor would get hurt. Nobody could seriously sit here and say that they counted that Taylor would be playing for 16 games. He has been hurt for years!  Sammy Morris is the same story. Now BJGE is getting hyped up as if he is the next Adrian Peterson. He had a decent game against maybe the worst team in the league. He cannot run for a 100 yards against Miami or any other decent team.
    Posted by Spetznaz24

I agree BJGE is getting a lot of hype, but I will say I've seen guys like him do well in the past. He runs hard and low, seams to have vision and allows the blocking to set up. He will not turn the corner or bounce it outside on a consistent basis, but I have seen him do it on occasion and it catches you by surprise. Who knows, maybe he runs for 800 yards or so this year, it's not like it's hard for a back to get 1000 yards in a season anyways nowadays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotway1. Show patriotway1's posts

In Response to Re: And we signed Fred Taylor WHY?????? : I agree BJGE is getting a lot of hype, but I will say I've seen guys like him do well in the past. He runs hard and low, seams to have vision and allows the blocking to set up. He will not turn the corner or bounce it outside on a consistent basis, but I have seen him do it on occasion and it catches you by surprise. Who knows, maybe he runs for 800 yards or so this year, it's not like it's hard for a back to get 1000 yards in a season anyways nowadays.
    Posted by mthurl

If BJGE can amount 60 yards a game running and his counter part hopefully Woodhead gain another 30 to 40 then the Patriots should be doing well enough to open the throwing game and screen game into a higher gear.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

In Response to Re: And we signed Fred Taylor WHY?????? : I agree BJGE is getting a lot of hype, but I will say I've seen guys like him do well in the past. He runs hard and low, seams to have vision and allows the blocking to set up. He will not turn the corner or bounce it outside on a consistent basis, but I have seen him do it on occasion and it catches you by surprise. Who knows, maybe he runs for 800 yards or so this year, it's not like it's hard for a back to get 1000 yards in a season anyways nowadays.
    Posted by mthurl

We need an elite running back that will gain close to a 100 yds every game and stop signing old guys who cannot play.  I dont think we even drafted a running back in the last  3 years in rounds 2-5.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Have you ever actually watched Fred Taylor run?  The guy is a fabulous back. He makes amazingly sharp, efficient cuts, and always keeps moving downhill.  He's everything Maroney wasn't.  BB got him cheap knowing full well he's injured a lot.  But when he's not hurt he gives us a pretty nice option.  Yeah, because of his injury problems and his age, he's not someone you can really rely on as a number one back.  But he's a nice guy to have on your roster if he comes (as he has) cheap. When he gets hurt, you just put him on IR and bring in someone else.  Yeah, we definitely could us a better number-one back.  But that was never supposed to be Taylor's role.  That was Maroney's role.  It's Maroney who's been the disappointment. Not Taylor. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Maroney was a bust, no doubt. My question is why BB couldnt draft a running back in 2008, 2009 or 2010?  Even someone in the 4th or 5th round.  I dont know how BB could allow the Patriots to field such old and mediocre RB's.  

The Patriots have not had a RB carry the ball or more than 300 times in a season since Corey Dillon in 2005.   That says alot about the state of the RB position in NE.   The "running back by committee" has gotten us nowhere. 

How has F. Taylor not been a dissapointment? He missed most of the season last year and is already out this year.  A waste of a roster spot if you ask me.  It is not like his injuries are a surprise, it is something that was expected by everyone at some point this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Maroney was a bust, no doubt. My question is why BB couldnt draft a running back in 2008, 2009 or 2010? 

We very well could get Ingram in the Draft but that won't help this year. You guys are overreacting, Taylor has a toe injury, not a torn ACL, i bet he will be ready to go after the bye week. And when he does come back he will be a very effective runner. Sorry but he isn't done yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

My question is why BB couldnt draft a running back in 2008, 2009 or 2010?  Even someone in the 4th or 5th round.  
    Posted by Spetznaz24

The answer, basically, is we had too many needs and too few picks.  BB is trying to patch a lot of holes, and he's only going use any specific draft pick on a RB if he feels the RBs available at the time of that pick are the highest value for the team.  If he thinks a DB (also a big need in the past few drafts) has higher value than the available RBs at the time of the pick, he's going to choose the DB over the RB and try to fill the RB need some other way (picking up free agents--rookie or veteran).  

Also, late round picks are just crap shoots. Look at the fourth round running backs from 2007-2010:

Michael Bush (third string)
    Antonio Pittman (waived)
    Dwayne Wright (waived by an Arena team this year)
    Le'Ron McClain (pro bowler, but a fullback)
    Tashard Choice (third string)
    Mike Goodson (5 yards career rushing through 2009)
    Tony Fiammetta (fullback, hasn't played much)
    Andre Brown (back up, hasn't played much)
    Gartrell Johnson (waived by a bunch of teams)
    Joe McKnight (not playing)

Fifth rounders are even worse.  Most aren't even in the league now.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Anybody listen to NFL on Syrius / XM radio? Pat Kerwin suggested the Panthers trade Deangello Williams or J Stewart for draft choices . We have them   could a # 2 get one of these guys next week?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Why? Because he's good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

"Time to cut our losses and release him or (if possible) trade him. "

I luv this, release the best back on the roster or trade him. =D

I'm sure the market is hankering for a 36 year old RB that everyone knows is very injury prone. =D

Thank God some of you don't call the shots around here. Release him, then what? Who plays RB? Belichick? =D

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

I luv this, release the best back on the roster or trade him. =D
    Very sad that he's our best back

I'm sure the market is hankering for a 36 year old RB that everyone knows is very injury prone.=D
    No, not unless your BB I guess. He picks him up to be our #1 guy. The rest of the football world wouldn't sign him to their practice squad 

Thank God some of you don't call the shots around here.
    Yeah, maybe if someone else called the shots we'd have someone who could run the rock, someone else who could rush the passer, along with an offensive coordinator who could at least fool my 8 year old kid and a defensive coordinator who would have our guys stop playing 8 yards off the line and plug the middle of the field

I sincerely hope BB uses all our high picks next year without trading them all down for a hundred worthless 4th - 6th rounders

Posted by 49Patriots

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

"Time to cut our losses and release him or (if possible) trade him. " I luv this, release the best back on the roster or trade him. =D I'm sure the market is hankering for a 36 year old RB that everyone knows is very injury prone. =D Thank God some of you don't call the shots around here. Release him, then what? Who plays RB? Belichick? =D
    Posted by 49Patriots

You hit the nail on the head, an yes thank God they don't call the shots!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Taylor is awesome ... when he's healthy, but that's the rub. Morris is the same way just not half as awesome and still always hurt. 

You won't see Morris or Taylor back next year that much is certain. 

BJGE just isn't a number 1 guy so we are definitely drafting a back next year in the first round. I'm thinking our top first round pick will likely be a running back.

We are going to have a major problem if BJGE goes down. In my opinion we should have kept Maroney. You all hate him, but Taylor and Morris are pretty much useless and BJGE needs a backup. Let's hope BJGE stays healthy. He's young and seems less prone to injury than the lot.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

In Response to Re: And we signed Fred Taylor WHY?????? :
    Posted by hang3xc

The only sad part about Fred Taylor being one of our better players is the fact that he picks up nagging injuries almost every other year. He is a legitimately sound starter and one of the better tailbacks in the NFL. Without his dominant raw speed and power that he had even three years ago when he was 33 years old, Fred Taylor is perfect for the offense the Patriots have in place. He is still a big factor when he is on the field.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In Response to Re: And we signed Fred Taylor WHY?????? : The only sad part about Fred Taylor being one of our better players is the fact that he picks up nagging injuries almost every other year. He is a legitimately sound starter and one of the better tailbacks in the NFL. Without his dominant raw speed and power that he had even three years ago when he was 33 years old, Fred Taylor is perfect for the offense the Patriots have in place. He is still a big factor when he is on the field.
    Posted by Brendon-Patrick

I agree, the problem is he isn't on the field much. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Morris and Taylor still contribute more being injured than Maroney ever did healthy.

Prolate hit the nail on the head with his analysis. There wasn't anyone worth taking in the middle and late rounds for RB's the past couple years. We had more pressing concerns. Rebuilding a secondary is more important than drafting a marginal RB at best. There are many more options via free agency to help with the running game and very few options via the same route for DB's.

I keep hearing "We should have kept Maroney". Why? To take up a roster spot? We could have promoted someone off the practice squad that would contribute at least as much, or as little, as Maroney ever has.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to And we signed Fred Taylor WHY??????:
    I see where once again, Fragile Fred Taylor will be sitting out yet another Patriots game. 2009 - 6 games, started 1, 63 carries, 2 receptions. 2010 - 25 carries... now he's out again, leaving us with 3 running backs. Time to cut our losses and release him or (if possible) trade him. Maroney wasn't the answer, that was clear, but neither is Taylor. Great career, best of luck to you, but adios. I don't know what else is out there but I'd rather go with an available unknown than hoping each week Taylor MIGHT be available for a carry or two.
    Posted by robbritt

As a practice cadaver for the medical crew.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

That was one pick up, where we didn't need hindsight to be 20/20.

I called it from day one, that he would never see the field enough to be a factor.

He has shown flashes of his great talent, but I'll be surprised if he comes back for any length of time before receiving a more serious season ending injury.

Sections
Shortcuts