...and we thought NFL players were greedy!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

...and we thought NFL players were greedy!!

I know this is off football topic, but, how about the NBA player demands?  The average salary in the NBA is $5 million per player!!  Granted, there may be more players below the median line, where ever that is.  Still, there are some outrageous contracts out there in NBA land that far surpass any NFL contract for player value versus pay.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re:...and we thought NFL players were greedy!!

AGC - guaranteed contracts AND 57% of the revenues.  NBA players are flush.  This will be changing.  I read today that NHL players ended up take a 24-28% in salaries to resolve their lockout.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

From 2005-06 to 2008-09 Raef Lafrentz made 8 figures a year. Not bad for a guy who averaged > 10 ppg and > 5 rpg. Sign me up

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I rarely watch pro basketball anymore - Haven't really followed since the likes of Julius Erving, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson era. IMO, the game has changed into a "look-at-me" game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Greg freakin' Oden just got $9 million.

Darko Milicic, a pronounced bust many, many times, got $20 million for 4 years.

It's egregious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Are they hiring?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Never thought the NFL players were all that greedy. In fact, compared with NBA players, football players are probably underpaid . . .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

pro -staying true to himself.  And yes, compared to NBA players they are underpaid, but I think we are going to see a change to this in the future. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"IMO, the game has changed into a "look-at-me" game"

Hmm well you missed a great playoffs where a genuine TEAM triumphed over some look-at-me stars. It was a great storyline. 

Having said that the NFL has a much better economic system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerice50. Show jerice50's posts

In Response to Re:...and we thought NFL players were greedy!!:
    I rarely watch pro basketball anymore - Haven't really followed since the likes of Julius Erving, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson era. IMO, the game has changed into a "look-at-me" game.
    Posted by anonymis

Totally agree!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

The NBA is screwed......60maxpowero for good Pats coverage

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Fans pay the freight for all this excess. Until fans smarten up and realize the more players make, the more they pay, it will remain the same.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Posted by anonymis

i still like the celtics.... but the refs and the league are dirty...they seem to "help" teams win in games... I just cant stand it... so i dont follow either

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

I have never purchased a ticket to a professional game to watch an owner perform.  Yes, we can easily harp on players with big salaries who spend a lot of time on the bench. However, I long for the day when a major professional league opens its financial books completely (and I mean completely with clear transperancy) so we can determine the actual income of owners - via the teams.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

They need to get rid of the guaranteed contracts. Teams get these lemons who cost too much and they have to make strange deals sometimes with other teams to unload them. The NBA puts a poorer product on the court as a result. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

AGC - guaranteed contracts AND 57% of the revenues.  NBA players are flush.  This will be changing.  I read today that NHL players ended up take a 24-28% in salaries to resolve their lockout.
    Posted by UD6

NBA players won't go that low

I've heard 60-40 and 50-50 tossed around

the big issue seems to be a hard cap, which may mean that they'll need to reconcile with existing bloated contracts.  Owners apparently need a hard cap to protect themselves from... themselves.

Unlike the hockey players who don't make nearly as much or the NFL players who seem to be well-prepared, the NBA is filled with showboats who will probably spend their way out of the lockout.  It's what happened last time and despite effort to prepare this time around I imagine that a lot of guys are still living paycheck to paycheck

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I don't think NFL players are greedy. Come on, you go out and bang up your body for 16 games a season and see if you deserve a good piece of the pie. The NBA is a country club compared to the NFL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

NBA is the worst by far ... lol in everything. I mean the contracts are just terrible , tried to go global to fast , before taking care of business at home and the preception of the league has really taken a downward spiral over the past 10-12 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

If they had 53 players on their roster plus 8 practice squad players to pay they would not have such big salaries.  They're in a great situation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm not a big fan of guaranteed contracts.  I have no problem with players making a lot of money--but I don't think it makes much sense to have to pay someone big bucks who isn't performing or who no longer fits with your team. 

Of course, in high-paid jobs, guarantees (or guaranteed severance payments) are common. CEOs get fired all the time--and end up with multi-million dollar severance deals as they walk out the door.  It's nice to have uncommon talent that's in high demand, since you can negotiate all sorts of things that the average, easily replaceable guy would never get. I'm not sure players are any greedier than anyone else who has scarce, in-demand talent. If you were in a similar situation, you'd negotiate for the big bucks and the guarantees too. It would be stupid not to. 

But I guess if I were an NBA owner, I'd fight pretty hard to end or limit the guarantees because I think they really constrain a team's flexibility to improve in significant ways. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

What Caraway said. 

People don't get paid by what they contribute to society, or how hard they work.  If that were the case maybe Doctors and teachers and ditch diggers would be the highest paid jobs and pro athletes would make minimum wage.  It's how much revenue you can make.

They only have 12 players and they have 82 games to create revenue.  Plus their absurd 7 game series, 3 month long playoffs.  It's all about how much money you can create, the NFL puts out the best product and any one NFL game has more viewers than an NBA or MLB game but with only 16 games, there's a limit to how much they can make and they have to pay 5 times as many players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Basketball is PHONY..... They could just as well have the globetrotters play the Celtics and the outcome would be as real.

I gave up on this leage when Michael Jordan was allowed to pick up the ball run in from half-court without as much as a single dribble and dunk... they they would call the defense for a "Slapping" foul and just ignore the TRAVELING X8.  You have overpaid- overhyped thugs that own the league and bind their teams from being able to make any moves.  You have officials who admit to fixing games (and claim others did the same).  You have players who are paid by multiple teams to do nothing.  You have the BS that happened a couple years ago when Cleveland traded a player to another team for a higher quality player.  The center Ilgauskas(?) was then cut by the team trading for him, walked right back and was on the Cleveland roster less than a week later- at a ton lower salary with a better player on the team via the trade.....

SORRY, but this leage is not any better than the US gov't.... they are Crooked to a fault.... and that is the way it has been for about 20 yrs.....

Sections
Shortcuts