ANDREW LUCK: ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AND MVP?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: ANDREW LUCK: ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AND MVP?

Yeah there is no way Luck wins MVP.  He shouldn't even with ROTY because of RG III who is putting up ridiculous numbers without the benefit of a first ballot hall of famer at WR.  Look at the receivers on the Redskins and tell me who comes even close to scaring you.  Garcon is the best receiver they have by far and he's been injured most of the year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I lean toward RGIII as ROY, especially if Washington ends up making the playoffs, but Luck has had a great season too.  Nice to see two top picks living up to the billing.  I like them both.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Don't get me wrong I think Luck has shown he could be really good, but I don't think a guy leading the league in turnovers should sniff MVP.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

RG3 will get rookie of the year.  While both these QB's have done great this season I think RG3 deserves the rookie of the year.  As for Luck, I think he will have the better over all career when all said and done.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah there is no way Luck wins MVP.  He shouldn't even with ROTY because of RG III who is putting up ridiculous numbers without the benefit of a first ballot hall of famer at WR.  Look at the receivers on the Redskins and tell me who comes even close to scaring you.  Garcon is the best receiver they have by far and he's been injured most of the year.

[/QUOTE]

No, Luck shouldn't win MVP, but to suggest he's not worthy of ROTY is ridiculous.  I don't care who the competition is. 

Here's what the colts have - exactly one player on offense of ANY note.  Most people can't even name another player on the colts offense beyond Luck and Wayne.  Some might recall Donald Brown, but those are only the people who know football and their recollections of Brown in the Pros isn't positive.  Many have labeled him a bust. 

On defense, the colts have Freeney and Mathis which many on this site said preseason that they were over the hill.  Who's that leave?  Antoine Bethea is the ONLY other player of note, although it looks like rookie GM grigson may have picked a good lineback in Freeman out of the CFL. 

But yeah, Luck's got that ONE all-pro Wideout.  Larry Fitzgerald is a surefire hall of famer, but he doesn't seem to be having such a good year.  If that's all that's required, wouldn't we see much more from Phonix's QB's?

As for what RGIII has - he has the monster in Garcon that Manning helped create.  He's got Santana Moss, who may be getting old, but don't say he's not a quality receiver.  That's one more than the colts.  He's also got breakout RB Alfred Morris who's gone for over 1100 yards in just 12 games. Morris alone is within 200 yds of the entire colts team rushing totals.  Beyond that he's got a hall of fame Head Coach, and a vet GM behind him, while Luck's got a rookie HC who's got cancer and a rookie GM. 

Further, Football outsiders currently ranks the colts defense 31st up one from last place for the first time in weeks. 

This isn't to disparage RGIII.  This is simply to say, that the hand that Luck was dealt was not much better than an off suited 2 and 7 (hold em).  I'll go so far as to say Griffin could have a better career than Luck, and yes, he's been fantastic, but Luck deserves to be in the conversation every bit as much as anyone else.  The colts are 8-4 and Andrew Luck has a lot to do with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know Luck will get some very stiff ROTY competition RG3-who is fantastic-and I know some will cite numbers like QBR, TDs vs INTs, etc...but to me, if the Colts get 10-11 wins and Luck plays at the same level-including directly winning a couple like vs Detroit, I say the MVP has got to get serious consideration.

To be honest, just the hope and excitement he brought with him is worth MVP consideration.

[/QUOTE]

You have got to be joking.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Although a little behind those 2, I would say Russell Wilson is a beast as well; and he's only 5'11!

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

People need to learn what MVP is....

It IS NOT "most valuable to their team!"

It is.......

"most valuable player: the man or woman judged to be the outstanding player in a sport during a particular season or championship"(http://dictionary.reference.com)

"most valuable player - the player judged to be the most important to the sport. (thefreedictionary.com)

And Andrew Luck sure as hell is not that.

(sorry, pet peeve)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Colts actually have some talent. They were just in the super bowl 3 years ago and they won that division 2 years ago. If someone other than Peyton Manning had gotten to choose the back up QB in Indy before this season the Colts could have been competitive last year. It wouldn't have hurt to have a head coach with a pulse also last year.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People need to learn what MVP is....

It IS NOT "most valuable to their team!"

It is.......

"most valuable player: the man or woman judged to be the outstanding player in a sport during a particular season or championship"(http://dictionary.reference.com)

"most valuable player - the player judged to be the most important to the sport. (thefreedictionary.com)

And Andrew Luck sure as hell is not that.

(sorry, pet peeve)

[/QUOTE]

yeah well even u would admit this is usually NOT the criteri when they-at least not in a looong time

[/QUOTE]

It has always been the best player in the league. The "most valuable to their team" concept is purely a fan delusion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Colts were in the playoffs 2 years ago, SB 3.  Luck is the most overrated player of all time.  His numbers are nearly identical to Mark Sanchez.  

Luck- 55.5% comp, 17TD, 16INT, 76.1 passer rating

So, that's 2nd in most pass attempts, 32nd in completion percentage, 14the most TDs, Leads the league in INTs, and is 29th in the NFL in passer rating.

If that's MVP numbers, how about Palmer, same number of passes, completed a higher percent, threw more TDs and less INTs for the 20th best rating.

Sanchez- 55% comp, 12 TD, 13 INT, 71.4 rating. (numbers nearly identical to Luck)

Heres what an MVP line looks like

Brady 65.8% comp, 25TD, 5 INT, 102.6 rating

I know, Luck had a couple of comebacks, but he wouldn't have to come back if he didn't keep stinking it up in games.  

MVP is going to come down to Brady, Manning, or Rogers.

ROY should go to Griffin

Griffin- 67% comp, 17TDs, 4INTs, 104.4 rating.  

So what logical reason should Luck get either award?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Luck's certainly in the conversation for both the MVP and the ROY. The kid is asked to shoulder a much greater burden than most rookie QB's are asked to do and while he may not win either award? He'll be near or at the top of the ROY vote and likely finish in the top 5 in MVP based on his teams ability to finish the deal and secure on of the wild card spot. What no one can argue is that of the three top ROY candidates Luck got the toughest draw...both the Seahawks (Wilson) and the Redskins (RGIII) came to the dance with good defenses and strong running games.

The ROY IMHO is a two horse race between Luck and RG III with Wilson from Seattle a distant 3rd (and closing...). If the season ended today, based on their respective stats it's hard to argue against RG III winning it. Clearly he's having the best individual season of the three. Where Luck might have a slight advantage over both is based on his perceived value to his team and that his name is in the MVP conversation. In the end how much weight will be given to value to his teams fortune vs individual performance will ulitmately decide who gets the trophy. Frankly Luck's not even a strong consideration for league MVP. Where both Brady and Manning in the AFC are in the hunt. When compared to either of them Luck's a distant 3rd....The front runner IMHO is the kid in Atlanta Ryan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

RG III or Doug Martin for ROTY, J.J. Watt or anyone not named Peyton Manning for MVP. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

I know Luck will get some very stiff ROTY competition RG3-who is fantastic-and I know some will cite numbers like QBR, TDs vs INTs, etc...but to me, if the Colts get 10-11 wins and Luck plays at the same level-including directly winning a couple like vs Detroit, I say the MVP has got to get serious consideration.

To be honest, just the hope and excitement he brought with him is worth MVP consideration.

[/QUOTE]

if the redskins play well the rest of the way, you have rg3 (who i would take over luck if he continues to peform like he has and wash. surprises in the next several games), and there's watt who is one of teh best players on defense in the league right now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Although a little behind those 2, I would say Russell Wilson is a beast as well; and he's only 5'11!

[/QUOTE]

yeah steven, ive been on him since preseason wathing their games. few were in agreement till now.

wilson has teh hihgest qbrating in the leage since nov 1 (i posted a thread that didnt get much atention, but did get some "hate".

if wilson continues, i have him ahead of luck,  not that luck has nto been great. they ask him to put it up a whole lot which adds to his ints.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RG3 will get rookie of the year.  While both these QB's have done great this season I think RG3 deserves the rookie of the year.  As for Luck, I think he will have the better over all career when all said and done.

[/QUOTE]

rg3 is a better talent and if healthy i think gives more to his team. i think luck will have more around him (team/org/etc)  and therefore may look better as a result.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Colts were in the playoffs 2 years ago, SB 3.  Luck is the most overrated player of all time.  His numbers are nearly identical to Mark Sanchez.  

Luck- 55.5% comp, 17TD, 16INT, 76.1 passer rating

So, that's 2nd in most pass attempts, 32nd in completion percentage, 14the most TDs, Leads the league in INTs, and is 29th in the NFL in passer rating.

If that's MVP numbers, how about Palmer, same number of passes, completed a higher percent, threw more TDs and less INTs for the 20th best rating.

Sanchez- 55% comp, 12 TD, 13 INT, 71.4 rating. (numbers nearly identical to Luck)

Heres what an MVP line looks like

Brady 65.8% comp, 25TD, 5 INT, 102.6 rating

I know, Luck had a couple of comebacks, but he wouldn't have to come back if he didn't keep stinking it up in games.  

MVP is going to come down to Brady, Manning, or Rogers.

ROY should go to Griffin

Griffin- 67% comp, 17TDs, 4INTs, 104.4 rating.  

So what logical reason should Luck get either award?

[/QUOTE]

I would never suggest that he get MVP, but he certainly has to be in the conversation for ROY. 

I'll use one of the very basic (and Patriot fan friendly stats-which I don't always subscribe to)  Wins.  He's got more wins than the others.  That's what Pats fans always used to say when comparing Brady and Manning.  As I said, however, I don't really subscribe to that but I'll use to support my further comments. 

1.  He has more wins with less talent.  Currently both Sea and Wash have top 10 RB's according to Football Outsiders but Indy doesn't have one in the top 20. 

2.  Football outsiders actually has Sidney Rice AND Golden Tate ranked higher than Reggie Wayne.  Griffin has Garcon back and Santana Moss is only a few slots below Wayne.  

3.  Rotoworld ranked the colts offensive line 31st in the preseason and Profootball focus has them most recently at 26th below all others. 

4.  Football outsiders has just ranked the colts defense 31st, climbing out of the cellar for the first week in many weeks while Seattle ranks 6th and Washington ranks 20th.

The point I am trying to make is that the colts just aren't very good, and many here know I mean this because I've said it countless times.  Has Luck made plenty of mistakes?  Sure, but look at what he has around him.  He presses which sometimes results in mistakes, because he has to press.  I remind all that Luck actually put the colts in position to win one of their games only to have it lost in the last minute on a 1st play from scrimmage 85 yard touchdown by the Jags.  And with only :45 left almost won that game too.  Otherwise, they'd be 9-3. 

Given the talent and experience (or lack therof) on this team, they should not have nearly the record they have.  In fact, most were predicting somewhere in the 3-4 win range. 

There is nothing else anyone can point to for this team's success than Luck.  Yes, you could include Wayne, but Luck has to throw him the ball, and its not as if Wayne is a breakaway receiver. 

No running game.  No oline.  No defense.  8-4 and currently holding down the top wild card position. 

He deserves consideration. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Adrian Peterson

Unlike the QB's who rely on varying degrees of help from their o-line and WR's, AP is getting help from no one.

Since Harvin got hurt the Vikes have zero passing game and a relatively poor o-line.

AP, coming off an ACL, is on pace for almost 2,000 yards despite facing 8 or 9 men in the box every game.

He's the single best player in football right now because he's doing it by himself.

Sections
Shortcuts