Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Re: Business as usual

In Response to Business as usual:
    The goal of the Patriots is not to win the SuperBowl.  Kraft has said this multiple times.  The goal is to have the minimal payroll capable of winning 10 games and make the playoffs.  Every pick is designed to keep the status quo.  Solder to replace Light, Dowling to replace Bowden, Vereen to replace Faulk, Ridley to replace Green-Ellis next year, Smith to replace Crumpler next year. All save money and increase profilts. The Patriots know they can not win it without a pass rush and do not care. They can accumulate wins in the regular season because of Brady.  As long as the make the playoffs and the sellouts continue all is fine in Foxborough.  Forget about the Superbowl, once we run into a good (not great) defensive team (Jets, Steelers or Ravens) we are one and done.
    Posted by Pats10

Have you forgotten the pasting the Pats put on the Steelers and Jets late in the regular season? - Offense was not the problem last year, the playoff game notwithstanding - getting off the field on 3rd down was a problem - if you want to troll at least make sense

FYI - the Patriots have consistenly spent up to the cap each year - you do remember there is a salary cap right? - did you happen to see the contract they gave Brady?

Don't equate the Pats being unwilling to set the market on a guard(Mankins) with being unwilling to pay  - the Pats are unwilling to OVERPAY -

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ptsf. Show ptsf's posts

Re: Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush

BB has lost it ,he was never good at draft it was scott pioli who drafted brady and others from the super bowl teams . Maroney, Jonathan Wilhite, Darius Butler
    All quantity no quality getting stuff from dollar store instead of shopping for premium talent

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The problem with this draft is that it was very unspecacular, dull.  It did address some needs but because they didn't draft that OLB or DE, high needs, folks are a tad upset.  But to say this draft is a failure is not true. 

Solder and Cannon are great picks.  The rumors of cancer caused Cannon's stock to fall.  Turns out he doesn't have it.  It's a mass they found but no cancer. 

Vereen is a very good RB.  I didn't think the Pats had a shot at him because of the way I had the draft going.  If there is any excitement in this draft this is it.

Mallett.  Personally I'm very cool to this choice but where are all those "get Brady's replacement" guys?  There was a lot of this going on and none of them appear to have been excited about Mallett who comes into an excellent situation.   Powerful, powerful arm and very accurate.  Sadly, he must be put on turd watch.

Ras-I.  I'm cool on this pick too.  We have Bodden coming back and McCourty.  I didn't understand this pick.  I was hoping for Brooks Reed.

Stevan Ridley.   Didn't get this pick at all.  Seems one dimensional. 

Lee Smith is a sound pick.  Hernandez is not a blocking type TE and Crumpler may be gone after this year.  Close to retirement for him?

Markell Carter.  A lot of talk was going on about this guy.  Very big tool guy but is not strong and most of his negatives point to that along with the competition faced.  Bulking up and some coaching will help this kid.  Nice choice here.

Don't know much about the DB from TCU.  Special teams or bust. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Does anybody really know anybody that was drafted after the first round. If you do get a life and meet a girl. We won't know how this draft pans out for at least a couple of years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

In Response to Re: Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush:
    Solder and Cannon are great picks.

Agree.  Two great players that are beasts with a lot of upside. 

Vereen is a very good RB.  I didn't think the Pats had a shot at him because of the way I had the draft going.  If there is any excitement in this draft this is it
    I've been worrying about replacing Faulk for years.  He does a whole lot more for our offense than most give him credit for.  Danny alleviated some of that, but I have my concerns about him.  Vereen is a much better fit to do so IMHO and I'm really happy about this pick.  

Mallett.  Personally I'm very cool to this choice but where are all those "get Brady's replacement" guys?  There was a lot of this going on and none of them appear to have been excited about Mallett who comes into an excellent situation.   Powerful, powerful arm and very accurate.  Sadly, he must be put on turd watch.

We replaced Bledsoe with Brady.  Now we may ultimately replace Brady with Bledsoe.  Or someone who very much reminds me of him.  Big guy, laser cannon arm, rattled easily under pressure.  I'm very happy with this pick and think a couple years holding Brady's clipboard will do wonders for this kid. 

Ras-I.  I'm cool on this pick too.  We have Bodden coming back and McCourty.  I didn't understand this pick.  I was hoping for Brooks Reed.

I'm very happy with this pick.  A little nervous about his durability, but there's a ton of upside here and he would have gone mid 1st round had it not been for missing most of last year.  The days of needing 2 solid corners are gone.  Now you need 3.  Great round out for our secondary with Boddens return allowing us to put in some very unique cover packages. 

Stevan Ridley.   Didn't get this pick at all.  Seems one dimensional.

Morris/Taylor replacement.  We needed a ground pounder and we got one.  No flash here but it fills a void. 

Lee Smith is a sound pick.  Hernandez is not a blocking type TE and Crumpler may be gone after this year.  Close to retirement for him?

Excellent pick here.  BB LOVES his blocking TE's and we have a doozy here that should not only ultimately replace Crumpler but also gives us a nice pair of hands too. 

Markell Carter.  A lot of talk was going on about this guy.  Very big tool guy but is not strong and most of his negatives point to that along with the competition faced.  Bulking up and some coaching will help this kid.  Nice choice here
    One of those practice squad picks that keeps things interesting in camp for the OLB's and could actually be groomed into something.  He has potential.

Don't know much about the DB from TCU.  Special teams or bust. 
    Posted by garytx

Big guy with potential at both safety and corner who is a bit of a workout warrior as he lit things up at the combine.  Raw though, needs grooming and lots of it.  Should make for a solid ST player in the interim. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

What I don't like: 1.  Drafting two long shot RBs when they could have had the best RB in the draft.  If RB was a priority for BB - then why spend TWO picks on RB longshots instead of just taking Ingram at 28? 2.  Ryan Mallet.  Wasted pick.  He'll never play a down for NE in the regular season.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

Just because Ingram is touted to be the best running back in the draft does not mean he is.. A GM from Tampa said he thought Vereen was as good if not better than Jhavid Best is teammate at CAL..do some reading on these guys before you thing we blew not getting Ingram..I knew we wouldnt draft him..who was Ben Jarvis..did you know about him on college? Not bad is he..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MJKJRMRYAZ. Show MJKJRMRYAZ's posts

It is time Bill B gives up the drafting part of the game.  This draft rates a D, because who we didn't pick and who was available.  The number one RB on some boards (Mikel Lehoure) picked after we take number 8, Shane Vereen.  Then, why the 2nd RB?  BB said 2 weeks ago the winners of this draft will be judged by how well they draft defensive lineman.  Bill, grade F.  Why a Tight End.  We had the number 3 WR there with 4.40 speed, again passed him.  This draft was atrocious.  Yes, I like Solder, Dowling, and Cannon, otherwise, 6 wasted picks.  I am beginning to think Scott Pioli was the real mastermind.  Can anybody logically explain to me why a poor defensive team, goes almost all offense, and then takes players rated #76 at their Pop Warner position?  This draft was his worst and there have been many of them.  57% of the top 100 NFL players (voted by the players) were number 1 draft picks, 75% were drafted by the second round.  Only one pick came from the 6th round  (Tom Terrific) and only 2 from the 7th.  Doesn't say, better to trade up once in  awhile.  BB really should be relieved of draft responsibilities.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanFLA. Show PatsFanFLA's posts

I totally disagree with most of the comments here....Think about it, the Pats are getting back Ty Warren, that will allow Wilfork to go back to his nose position and they added Marcus Stroud (yes a bit long in the tooth) but a help in the run stopping game..then they have guys like Cunningham (a year under his belt), Mayo and a healthier Banta-Cain coming back. I see a better pass rush because they can use guys like Cunningham to rush the QB's. Had the injuries not happened maybe the rush would have been better.  As to the RB selections, we have a speed back who can catch the ball (to replace Faulk) and a bruiser back for between the tackles..couple them with Lawfirm and Woodhead and that's decent. The reason they picked 2 backs is for depth and realistically, do any of you think Woodhead is a long term guy?  The OL pick was obvious...gotta protect TB and to guard against Light or Mankins leaving.  The DB pick was for size as receivers are also getting bigger. IF BB had thought the guys he didnt pick were going to help, he would have drafted them.

I do see where you all are upset about not drafting a stud DL or OLB but give the Pats some credit..they WERE 14-2 last year and if not for turnovers and blown chances on offense, they would have beaten the Jets.  Give guys like Cunningham, Brace and Co a chance with more experience and with a healthier D-line, OK? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VaSawksFan67. Show VaSawksFan67's posts

Ok I can see the Cannon pick....good QB's usually have good OL's
    but after that alot of ??????? If you are going to have someone as a long term project or a long shot gamble at least draft in your needed areas

At pick 159: BB gets a LB but I would have taken the DE Carter and convert to OLB

And with 194 & 219:  Try DT Guy, DE/OLB Mathews, or DE Beal

Another freakin' TE and an unknown CB

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanFLA. Show PatsFanFLA's posts

Totally agree!  I wanted another WR and a pass rusher, but Pats did address quite a lot and are set for next year.  I believe the return of Ty Warren and the addition of Stroud will allow Wilfork to go back to the nose and we'll have a good line. It will also allow the LB's to rush more and I think Cunningham will have a more productive year.  I was pleased with the RB drafted players.
    If they dont have a rush this year then with all the other positions dealt with this year, next draft the Pats will get the DL and LB squared away. If those guys they didnt draft were so good, BB would have taken them.  To me a 14-2 team is now stronger with more depth.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: Business as usual

In Response to Business as usual:
    The goal of the Patriots is not to win the SuperBowl.  Kraft has said this multiple times.  The goal is to have the minimal payroll capable of winning 10 games and make the playoffs.  Every pick is designed to keep the status quo.  Solder to replace Light, Dowling to replace Bowden, Vereen to replace Faulk, Ridley to replace Green-Ellis next year, Smith to replace Crumpler next year. All save money and increase profilts. The Patriots know they can not win it without a pass rush and do not care. They can accumulate wins in the regular season because of Brady.  As long as the make the playoffs and the sellouts continue all is fine in Foxborough.  Forget about the Superbowl, once we run into a good (not great) defensive team (Jets, Steelers or Ravens) we are one and done.
    Posted by Pats10

So now you're going to provide the quote where Kraft said that right?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

What I don't like: 1.  Drafting two long shot RBs when they could have had the best RB in the draft.  If RB was a priority for BB - then why spend TWO picks on RB longshots instead of just taking Ingram at 28? 2.  Ryan Mallet.  Wasted pick.  He'll never play a down for NE in the regular season.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

You know these RB's more than BB????? This is you...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rapdoo. Show rapdoo's posts

EXACTLY!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In Response to Re: Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush : Just because Ingram is touted to be the best running back in the draft does not mean he is.. A GM from Tampa said he thought Vereen was as good if not better than Jhavid Best is teammate at CAL..do some reading on these guys before you thing we blew not getting Ingram..I knew we wouldnt draft him..who was Ben Jarvis..did you know about him on college? Not bad is he..
    Posted by BS10FAN

I guess you missed Ingram's Heisman season.  Wake up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

ANOTHER TE THAT WAS HUGE NEED W T F
    Posted by Harleyroadking-11

Is Crumpler going to be there forever?  He was a huge HUGE part of Benny getting 1000 yards.  This TE is going to replace Crumpler for his blocking capabilities.. Roto said this guy loves to mix it up and try to lay people out.  You don't think we need players like that.  We ahve one true TE is Gronk, and then  Crumpler for blocking duties.  Lee Smith is a blocker first and that' what he wwas brought in to do.  We now have 4 RB's, two which pound it, and 2 homerun hitters.  BB also drafted OL, one is 1st round beast, and the other that was supposed to be a first rounder. 

Why are you confused?  Pass rush....?

There was only 3 givens about the pass rush, the rest is speculative.  There are also busts all over the place.

You look at this draft and believe BB took the best people available.  Isn't Floy Reese still around?

Oh there you are:

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

What do I think of BB's 2011 draft? Seems like every year we keep added 4-5 good football players to this team via the draft.  

I like the idea of adding the RB's. The backfield gets faster and younger. The OL first rounder fills a need. The new QB adds talent to the position.  The rest of the picks will be a wait and see. Normally, under BB the wait and see is worth the wait.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In Response to Re: Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush : You know these RB's more than BB????? This is you...
    Posted by Getzo

Check back during the season when BJGE and Woodhead are the best backs on the team, Ridley has been cut and Vereen is covering Kickoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

BB has lost it ,he was never good at draft it was scott pioli who drafted brady and others from the super bowl teams . Maroney, Jonathan Wilhite, Darius Butler All quantity no quality getting stuff from dollar store instead of shopping for premium talent
    Posted by ptsf

I know, the draft last year really stunk! - Or maybe you think Pioli told BB to make all those picks from KC?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

First: 4/20/2009
    Last: 4/30/2011
    Some thoughts on this years draft which was unique because of the non-CBA.

1. Some picks were made because some wink-wink -nudge -nudge agreements were made ( philly, Oakland?). NOT FORMAL because they suposedly cant do that...but just maybe  mallett and  one of the RBs will be going some where in a trade .. WHEN they are legal!
    2. RasI in the second ... Samuel wasnt a starter in year 1 ..I believe he was the nickel cover and evolved into a pro- bowler CB. He was also pretty good in that role .. SB #2team  and maybe #3 and of course after that.
    3. No game break WRs  .. i think we have that guy  Aaron Hernandez ( whats the diff between a WR and when they go to the 2 TEs?  doesnt one usually spread out?)and thus the pick of Lee Smith..
    4. Cannon with the medical concerns.  if he can play .. what a steal!  but moreover , with his condition he can go PUP or IR and wont have to clear waivers for practice squad and would be good to go in 2012

I could be all wet ..usually am when trying to predict/ figure out the draft . But all in all ,I like what BB has done. The Pats could have the most dynamic balanced offense in the NFL in 2011. And I think in the second half our D was good enough to go 7-1. Was anyone better? The loss to the Jets in the playoffs wasn't a defense shortcoming.

Thoughts?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Having passed on Clay Mathews, if Cam Jordon becomes NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and Mark Ingram the Offersive Rookie of the Year (neither far-fetched), can we pass a law removing the "genuis" from Belichicks name?

Pats last won a playoff game...when?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

or genius....sorry

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I don't call him genius.  He doesn't either.  He's just Bill Belichick.  I like him, and he continually manages to keep the team stocked.  I thought he should go with some pass rush also, but since he didn't, he must not think he needs to.  Last years defense was WAY better than the year before, given that we had major injuries on the line and Leigh Bodden was out.  Like to see some pressure, but heck, I have ALWAYS thought we needed more.  I like the draft.  A potential line guy who can play some tight end (goal line package anyone?)  couple of RB's, a CB (playing for Butlers job, I assume) and a pure blocking TE.  OK, last years guys really added a bunch, so I'm good waiting for the season before I say this is bad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ozstryker. Show Ozstryker's posts

The Jets beat the Pats in the playoffs with mega CB packages that shrouded our WRs and gave time to the DEs to get to Tom.  Adding Dowling makes a ton of sense in that regard. Dowling, McCourty, and Bodden will do better locking down the WRs as a group.

With stouter OL (Cannon 6'5 350#) at guard, he will plug one hole. Matt Light - I see him probably resigning for 1 or 2 more years while Solder learns better technique and gets time in the Pats weight room. It took a season + for Vollmer to get up to NFL speed. Light has been a liability the last few seasons in playoffs.

Replacing aging RBs with very tallented younger versions makes tons of sense. You have to remain dynamic. I hope they can resign BJGE and keep Woodhead for another 6 years.

Really a drag Bill didn't take Brooks Reed or Houston, or similar. A lot of you liked Odrick last year too. He didn't even show up last season for Miami. Knocked out for the season in the 1st game with an injury. Maybe the late round OLB they did take will end up contributing like Cunningham. Not someone everyone was talking about kind of guy who seems to be pretty good. We'll have to wait on that scenario.

I'd give this draft a B, for not getting one of the better DEs/OLBs. But a B draft for an A team is still a good draft. (Someone make a Mr. T joke out there? Thought I heard something.) If we can find a field stretcher in WRs Price or Tate this year, and maybe find a way to get Edleman more passes thrown his way to keep him involved/relevant to the team, the Pats should have a better season this year, making it past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Let's just watch the Pats have another great season. Patriots ROCK! The cry babies need to get a thicker skin about the draft. The Patriots will kick some butt this season.

Sections
Shortcuts