Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush

If we only took Bowers with #33 and the best OLB available instead of a second running back...  we're gonna regret passing on Bowers.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogi3333. Show yogi3333's posts

I can only assume that BB is planning to trade away one of his young TEs and RB (Woodhead)- presumably for a veteran defensive pass rusher or two...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from merlinnh. Show merlinnh's posts

Baffled by this draft. Another TE and 2 RB's instead of choosing the best RB of the draft in the first round? Besides Solder, critical needs on this team were ignored. Free agency maybe, dont know???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bv9495. Show bv9495's posts

why why why  did Mr. ego let so many players of need for players that make no sense tight ends  no pass rushers or lbs why? why ? why ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush:
    Now check this out.  Matt Light moves to guard or is kept at tackle.  Mankins leaves evetually.  We now have the pieces to retool the line immediately even if Kazur cannot come back. Now BB picks up at least a supplimental pick, or, trades Mankins.  Yes, I do believe we need a pass rusher and I hope, hope and hope that need is correctly addressed.  Understand BB retooled the defense last year.  they got better as the year went on.  Hopefully, they will continue to improve generate a pass rush with Ty Warren and Vince stopping the run.
    Posted by drno1

Mankins they'll keep...but Light will be gone.They'll pay Mankins top dollar. He'll be the stabilizing veteran, and leader of the OL. Some team will give Light a 3 year deal, for decent money. But, the Pats won't.

Also, keep in mind that Light is the Pats' player rep.. The Pats' player rep before him was Mike Vrabel...and you remember what happened to him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jessue. Show jessue's posts

This sounds more like the SHAFT than the DRAFT !  Normaly I have faith in the Patriots leadership but in all honesty , I can find nothing positive about their selections ! Hopefully the jury is still out and  those of us who are disappointed WILL ALL BE PROVEN Wrong ! Go Patriots ! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush :           Also, keep in mind that Light is the Pats' player rep.. The Pats' player rep before him was Mike Vrabel...and you remember what happened to him.
    Posted by TexasPat3

It's absurd to think the team let Vrabel go because he was the players rep and are now going to let Light go for that same reason.  Both players are on the downside of their careers . . . that's the only reason the Pats let Vrabel go and the only reason they might let Light go. It has nothing to do with their status as player reps.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

I can only assume that BB is planning to trade away one of his young TEs and RB (Woodhead)- presumably for a veteran defensive pass rusher or two...
    Posted by yogi3333

and why would you assume this? yeah he struck gold on woodhead last year, same with the TE's...all are young, inexpensive, and productive. if he wouldnt use a 3rd or 5th round pick on a defensive player, why would you assume that means he is gonna trade away his proven bargain producers?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

I'm completely confused with this draft. I thought the main purpose was to fix plug your biggest holes. In BB we trust, but sometimes he causes me to second guess his draft strategy.
    Posted by TucsonSoxFan

The purpose of the draft is to help your team improve not to pick any player just for the sake of plugging a hole.  You draft quality not quantity.   Drafting one exceptional backup (i.e. Mallet) is better than drafting 100 Crables.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from costpet. Show costpet's posts

What's wrong with everyone here?  In case you didn't notice, this is a GREAT draft.  Here's what they did:

1. Got an LT to take Light's place for the next 10 years.
    2. Got a DB to compliment McCorty on the other side.
    3. Got a RB that catches out of the backfield to take Faulk's place.
    4. Got a RB that can run between the tackles.
    5. Got a RG to take Neal's place.
    6. Got a TE to take Crumpler's place.
    7. Got an ungrade at backup QB who may take Brady's place in 4 years or injury.
    Only 2 pieces were missing: A speedy WR and a pass rushing DE.  You can't plug every hole in a single draft, but they plugged most of them.  When they are allowed to trade, they have some nice chips in next year's draft that could be dealt.  I say it's a teriffic draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

But for Solder, this just might be the lamest draft class in the history of this organization. Honestly, this team drafts as if it had no needs whatsoever.
    Posted by Gaucho55

If it weren't for last year, I would think this years fairweather Pats fans were the worst, whiniest fans in the NFL! On top of that so many of them are NY Times empkoyees and Jets fans it is incredible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

For all you folks crying about the pick of Ras-I, go back and look at how many opponents third downs turned into first downs because the opposing QB threw the ball OVER the Pats shorter DB's. They did it a lot last year. If Ras-I can play, that won't be happening anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

What's wrong with everyone here?  In case you didn't notice, this is a GREAT draft.  Here's what they did: 1. Got an LT to take Light's place for the next 10 years. 2. Got a DB to compliment McCorty on the other side. 3. Got a RB that catches out of the backfield to take Faulk's place. 4. Got a RB that can run between the tackles. 5. Got a RG to take Neal's place. 6. Got a TE to take Crumpler's place. 7. Got an ungrade at backup QB who may take Brady's place in 4 years or injury. Only 2 pieces were missing: A speedy WR and a pass rushing DE.  You can't plug every hole in a single draft, but they plugged most of them.  When they are allowed to trade, they have some nice chips in next year's draft that could be dealt.  I say it's a teriffic draft.
    Posted by costpet

But...But...But....A pass rusher was not picked, until pick 194.....LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

What I don't like: 1.  Drafting two long shot RBs when they could have had the best RB in the draft.  If RB was a priority for BB - then why spend TWO picks on RB longshots instead of just taking Ingram at 28? 2.  Ryan Mallet.  Wasted pick.  He'll never play a down for NE in the regular season.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

Ryan Mallet gives us so many options, we groom him behind brady and he is his succesor. or we trade Hoyer this preseason, for more picks in 2012, if Mallet turns into trade bait after a few year (like matt cassell) we will get more draft picks.

I too liked Ingram, but BB obviously didnt like something about him or he would of drafted him. Then 2 guys we did draft are good fits for our team. Faulk is old ans vereen will replace him and is more of a 3down back. and the other RB is a hard nose , run down your throat back to comliment vereen. and with woody mixed in thats a decent backfield...that is if they pan out of course.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Ok so Cannon must be a terrible player because he was only a third team all-american OT,Solder was a consensus first team OT All- american,Vereen was a stud for the Cal Bears and Ridley was never tackled for a loss in his career at LSU. Then there is the mecurial QB Mallett who by all accounts was the most pro ready QB available and they used a third round pick on him. I don't claim to be a seer but from what I can tell the Patriots have had a good draft,and they did draft an outside linebacker for all the worry warts in New England,Markel Carter from Central Arkansas there is still one more selection for the Patriots so maybe they will thrill everyone and select Herzelich.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

What's wrong with everyone here?  In case you didn't notice, this is a GREAT draft.  Here's what they did: 1. Got an LT to take Light's place for the next 10 years. 2. Got a DB to compliment McCorty on the other side. 3. Got a RB that catches out of the backfield to take Faulk's place. 4. Got a RB that can run between the tackles. 5. Got a RG to take Neal's place. 6. Got a TE to take Crumpler's place. 7. Got an ungrade at backup QB who may take Brady's place in 4 years or injury. Only 2 pieces were missing: A speedy WR and a pass rushing DE.  You can't plug every hole in a single draft, but they plugged most of them.  When they are allowed to trade, they have some nice chips in next year's draft that could be dealt.  I say it's a teriffic draft.
    Posted by costpet

Im with you buddy...i like this draft. people get so caught up on thier FAV draft picks and if the Pats dont take them, they get the BIGGEST poopy diapers EVER.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from barrister28. Show barrister28's posts

I'm just going to throw this theory out there.  Solder not withstanding, did Belichek maybe go for a DB and two RBs because with potentially not much of an offseason and Mallet isn't going to see the field this year anyway, RBs especially and less so CBs who don't call the defenses like the safeties do can actually help the team without having to have too much knowledge of the offesne or defense?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats10. Show Pats10's posts

Business as usual

The goal of the Patriots is not to win the SuperBowl.  Kraft has said this multiple times.  The goal is to have the minimal payroll capable of winning 10 games and make the playoffs.  Every pick is designed to keep the status quo.  Solder to replace Light, Dowling to replace Bowden, Vereen to replace Faulk, Ridley to replace Green-Ellis next year, Smith to replace Crumpler next year. All save money and increase profilts. The Patriots know they can not win it without a pass rush and do not care. They can accumulate wins in the regular season because of Brady.  As long as the make the playoffs and the sellouts continue all is fine in Foxborough.  Forget about the Superbowl, once we run into a good (not great) defensive team (Jets, Steelers or Ravens) we are one and done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

Re: Business as usual

In Response to Business as usual:
    The goal of the Patriots is not to win the SuperBowl.  Kraft has said this multiple times.  The goal is to have the minimal payroll capable of winning 10 games and make the playoffs.  Every pick is designed to keep the status quo.  Solder to replace Light, Dowling to replace Bowden, Vereen to replace Faulk, Ridley to replace Green-Ellis next year, Smith to replace Crumpler next year. All save money and increase profilts. The Patriots know they can not win it without a pass rush and do not care. They can accumulate wins in the regular season because of Brady.  As long as the make the playoffs and the sellouts continue all is fine in Foxborough.  Forget about the Superbowl, once we run into a good (not great) defensive team (Jets, Steelers or Ravens) we are one and done.
    Posted by Pats10

Thanks for this very valuable insight.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

ANOTHER TE THAT WAS HUGE NEED W T F

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Business as usual

In Response to Business as usual:
    Posted by Pats10

Very intelligent post!  Enlightening!  

wGo to fullsize imagewww.blingcheese.com/image/code/37/laughing jesus.htm" width="120" height="160" />

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Posted by costpet

Agree with this post wholeheartedly.    I disagree with us not having a pass rushing DE though.  Mike Wright is our rusher and was having a lot of success putting pressure on the QB and tallying 5.5 sacks before his concussion and then missing the last 7 games.  Really looking forward to seeing him this year with Warren and Wilfork tying up the blocks and double teams.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

why take some DB with the last pick that has 0 chance of making the team over herzlich? that really bothers me. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: Another bewildering draft and again no pass rush : Agree with this post wholeheartedly.    I disagree with us not having a pass rushing DE though.  Mike Wright is our rusher and was having a lot of success putting pressure on the QB and tallying 5.5 sacks before his concussion and then missing the last 7 games.  Really looking forward to seeing him this year with Warren and Wilfork tying up the blocks and double teams.
    Posted by agill1970

You make a great point about Warren as well - in the past I never thought the Pats had great "prototype" pass rushers - I thought they had the best interior line combo( Wilfork/Seymour/Washington) who took up their guys and others and made it easier for the linebackers to get to the QB - if Warren is 100% or Deadrick(maybe Brace, but I doubt it) make progress in their development their D line will be stout - couple that with now having 3 very solid CB's (McCourty, Bodden and Dowling) it should make things easier for the OLB's - I like Cunningham - he should improve here in his 2nd year - though the Pats could stand to upgrade on Banta-Cain/Ninkovich side

What they did in the draft was show a real commitment to getting back to the tough, smashmouth offense that carried them to 3 SB's - while having the personnel to air it out as well

Let's see what FA moves that make and revisit the complete roster in July - assuming they play football this year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from corky333. Show corky333's posts

I was confused by this whole draft and the Pats lack of action on the front 7 and then the move was made that brought sense to it all.....

They swap 193 for 194 w the Eagles to keep the streak alive !!! No not to trade up or down to get the player they covet...It was the all important 12 consecutive draft day trades w Philadelphia streak that needed to stay intact!!! Now it all makes sense....This organization and BB in particular are more concerned about bs analytical details like this than the ones staring them directly in thier face. Is it ego ? Is it too smart for their own good?  Is it all the above ??

All that is undeniable is they were the WORST team in the league against the pass on 3rd downs last yr...Another CB (one whose injury history dates to HS) isnt going to fix this...They need a pass rush..It was evident 2 yrs ago and more so last year (how does 2 straight playoff losses at home taste??)...They had ample opportunities to grab a DE/OLB but decided 2 RB (who may be no more than special team players) were the better value..PLEASE...and oh by the way, ther are no "quality" DE/OLBs to be had via free agency so get ready to sign/cut/sign/cut Shawn Crable and the like for another 16 games next year...

In Bill the COACH we trust.....In Bill the personnel guru we fail !!!

Sections
Shortcuts