Another Call Goes Indy's Way

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

Another Call Goes Indy's Way

Did anyone else check out the last punt return from Indy's game.  Ed Reed trying to lateral, doesn't execute, Indy recovers a fumble as called on the field.  After reviewing, it's apparent his lateral was actually a forward pass - but the fumble ruling stands.  Indy escapes (actually they did deserve to win - Ravens utterly failed all day in the red zone).  A question to those who saw it (I'm far from an expert on the rules) - why was that not called an illegal forward pass - with Baltimore retaining possession?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Re: Another Call Goes Indy's Way

it was a fumble, his arm wasn't coming forward even if the ball was slightly.  i tried every way imaginable to convince myself of the same but couldn't

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

In Response to Re: Another Call Goes Indy's Way:
    [QUOTE]it was a fumble, his arm wasn't coming forward even if the ball was slightly.  i tried every way imaginable to convince myself of the same but couldn't
    Posted by pauldeba[/QUOTE]

I agree the ball was out, of course whether I agree or not is immaterial - but didn't the ball go forward?  Sure looked like it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

The ball definitely went forward. I still think it was a fumble. Reed was running forward got hit and tried to lateral. During the lateral motion he got hit again and the ball's direction changed from a lateral to forward. Don't really know what the refs said to one another or if this is what they saw, but thats how I saw it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

"but didn't the ball go forward? 

if his arm isn't going foward and the ball is, it is a fumble, not a legal lateral, not an illegal lateral

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

colts lucked out on ravens missing an easy fg plus an interception near the 10 yard line late in the game. they have a good chance to go 16-0 but will probably lose to the chargers, patriots or someone their first playoff game. manning is a great qb but  they have had some big breaks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

[QUOTE]"but didn't the ball go forward?  if his arm isn't going foward and the ball is, it is a fumble, not a legal lateral, not an illegal lateral
    Posted by pauldeba[/QUOTE]

Ah, now it makes sense.  Thanks.  Oh well, in the grand scheme of things, it's probably better for us that Baltimore didn't win.  Picked up a game on them in case it comes down to a battle for the wild card.  But geez, I can't stand Indy (don't care for the Ravens much either - LOL :))

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

How about some in depth reporting from the Globe on the refs and Indy?????
    Personally I don't care if the Ravens win.....I do want to know if there is any trend showing in how the Colts are being called in games..and not just against the Pats. Reed's knee was down on that call......but Ravens blew it on the silly INT anyways...........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Watched most of the game and didn't really notice calls going one way or the other. I personnally thought it was a fumble. When Reed's knee was down, even though he still had the ball in his hand, it didn't look like he had control of it. As for whether or not his arm was moving forward, it was tough to tell. Looked to me like the contact from a Colt's player was the cause of the ball going forward.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Ultimately what he was or was not trying to do doesn't matter.  Even if they had called him down and no lateral.  They had 12 seconds to complete 3 plays without a timeout.  1.  down the field pass. 2.  spike the ball 3.  kick the field goal
    Posted by underdoggg[/QUOTE]

Why do you think they would have had to spike the ball. It could be a sideline pass. 

Oh, wait, are they now letting Colts FANS in on the calls before the game, too?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

What I thought was really funny about that game was how wildly the Ravens fans clapped every time that they drove downfield and had to settle for a field goal instead of a touchdown. The only way you beat the Colts is by scoring touchdowns. They should have been booing their team to put them on alert that settling for field goals against the Colts is unacceptable. The Ravens deserved to lose. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I thought about that too - I thought it was a forward pass.  If you watched the game, there were quite a few close calls that went against the Colts.  Most notably the Ravens fumbled the kickoff following the Colts' opening drive TD.  It was called a fumble, recovered by Indy, on the field.  The replay was as close as the 4-2 call against the Pats.  Oddly, the refs overeturned it, which was somewhat surprising.  I'm not sure what I'd have called, but I think the refs might have gotten it right.  Another call went against the Colts: a fumble call late in the game in which the Colts ripped the ball out of a Raven's hand, the ball went backwards about 15 yards where the Ravens recovered it.  The refs overturned that too, it was ruled not a fumble and gave the Ravens the ball where the ball carrier lost it.  I kind of agreed he was down, but it was very close.   The final call went the Colts' way, but let me tell you that there weren't many close calls that went the Colts' way...but over-all it was a well-called game (just like last week).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I thought about that too - I thought it was a forward pass.  If you watched the game, there were quite a few close calls that went against the Colts.  Most notably the Ravens fumbled the kickoff following the Colts' opening drive TD.  It was called a fumble, recovered by Indy, on the field.  The replay was as close as the 4-2 call against the Pats.  Oddly, the refs overeturned it, which was somewhat surprising.  I'm not sure what I'd have called, but I think the refs might have gotten it right.  Another call went against the Colts: a fumble call late in the game in which the Colts ripped the ball out of a Raven's hand, the ball went backwards about 15 yards where the Ravens recovered it.  The refs overturned that too, it was ruled not a fumble and gave the Ravens the ball where the ball carrier lost it.  I kind of agreed he was down, but it was very close.   The final call went the Colts' way, but let me tell you that there weren't many close calls that went the Colts' way...but over-all it was a well-called game (just like last week).
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Still in denial about last week. What a maroon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Call Goes Indy's Way : That's too bad Root.  You'll get over it. 

We will get over it after a healthy Patriots team with weapons at the wr position and youth on defense for the first time since 04 beat manning into submission in the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Call Goes Indy's Way : Oh we're going to talk injuries now?

Oh wait. Here it comes.

The rant about the injuries. The other rant about the roughing of the receivers.  And, the funniest one of all, the rant about the calls the Colts don't get.

You are extremely defensive for a fan of a team that has gone 10-0 *, don't you agree? It is like you don't believe they got there fairly yourself.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agent56. Show agent56's posts

The colts have the greatest weapon and most impossible man to cover in NFL history....Bill Pollian.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Another Call Goes Indy's Way:
    [QUOTE]Did anyone else check out the last punt return from Indy's game.  Ed Reed trying to lateral, doesn't execute, Indy recovers a fumble as called on the field.  After reviewing, it's apparent his lateral was actually a forward pass - but the fumble ruling stands.  Indy escapes (actually they did deserve to win - Ravens utterly failed all day in the red zone).  A question to those who saw it (I'm far from an expert on the rules) - why was that not called an illegal forward pass - with Baltimore retaining possession?
    Posted by simroy[/QUOTE]

I actually just looked up the rule.

Rule 8 Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble

Section 1 Forward Pass

Supplement 5 An intentional fumble forward is a forward pass.

Now, I saw the play and it was definitely intentional. And it definitely went forward. And it was definitely ruled a fumble and not a forward pass.

I am no longer amazed that the refs forget the rulebook when the Colts take the field.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Call Goes Indy's Way : Thanks for joining our injury discussion.  I've moved on from SPOTGATE.  Call me Belichick.

You have?

I find that hard to believe since you have now named it. You also keep bringing up how it was the right call as if repeating it will make it true. That doesn't seem like you've moved past it. You seem pretty stuck.

Since you say you are past it, care to weigh in on yet another incorrect call from the refs to benefit the Colts? I mean the rulebook even clarifies the situation about intentional fumbles that go forward being forward passes. 

How do they manage to keep getting it wrong to benefit the Colts? You would think someone wold notice by now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sodiumpentothal. Show sodiumpentothal's posts

In Response to Another Call Goes Indy's Way:
    [QUOTE]Did anyone else check out the last punt return from Indy's game.  Ed Reed trying to lateral, doesn't execute, Indy recovers a fumble as called on the field.  After reviewing, it's apparent his lateral was actually a forward pass - but the fumble ruling stands.  Indy escapes (actually they did deserve to win - Ravens utterly failed all day in the red zone).  A question to those who saw it (I'm far from an expert on the rules) - why was that not called an illegal forward pass - with Baltimore retaining possession?
    Posted by simroy[/QUOTE]

This wasn't the one that cost them the game, that came on the interception.  Baltimore's LT clearly moved before the ball was snapped and there was a NON CALL that ultimately cemented the game for them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Another Call Goes Indy's Way : This wasn't the one that cost them the game, that came on the interception.  Baltimore's LT clearly moved before the ball was snapped and there was a NON CALL that ultimately cemented the game for them.
    Posted by sodiumpentothal[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not even the refs could have foreseen that an interception would happen. 

It does make you wonder if there would have been a late flag if the Ravens had scored a TD. (Well, no it doesn't. They would have thrown the flag.)

I find it interesting that the rulebook clearly states that an intentional fumble that goes forward is a forward pass but they still ruled it a fumble.

I wonder how Ron Polian Pereira will explain that one this week.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sodiumpentothal. Show sodiumpentothal's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Call Goes Indy's Way : Yes, but not even the refs could have foreseen that an interception would happen.  It does make you wonder if there would have been a late flag if the Ravens had scored a TD. (Well, no it doesn't. They would have thrown the flag.) I find it interesting that the rulebook clearly states that an intentional fumble that goes forward is a forward pass but they still ruled it a fumble. I wonder how Ron  Polian  Pereira will explain that one this week.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]
    Your right.  I've seen the same type of play before and the ball is marked dead and a penalty is assesed for the  "illegal forward pass".  Good eye... I trust we may hear something this week about that...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Call Goes Indy's Way : Your right.  I've seen the same type of play before and the ball is marked dead and a penalty is assesed for the  "illegal forward pass".  Good eye... I trust we may hear something this week about that...

I wonder if we will hear about it. I should send Ray Ray a note so he can complain about it tomorrow. Does anyone have his email?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sodiumpentothal. Show sodiumpentothal's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Call Goes Indy's Way : I wonder if we will hear about it. I should send Ray Ray a note so he can complain about it tomorrow. Does anyone have his email?
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

If I did,  you'd be the first to get it.  I'm sure you all would spark up some interesting conversation LOL...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Call Goes Indy's Way : If I did,  you'd be the first to get it.  I'm sure you all would spark up some interesting conversation LOL...

I don't think he would like me calling him Ray Ray, first of all. And I would throw in that I never went to his super luxurious rib joint that recently folded. Then i would remind him that Brady rushed for a TD over him this year just so he knows where I am coming from.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

The GAME was lost with the stupid, fkun Flacco thowing the ball in triple coverage from the 14 yard line with under 3 minutes left when a field goal would have been most likely good-enough to win.

Another case of the Raven's coaching staff being losing their football common sense over Manning and throwing the game away in the end.  The ball should have NEVER been put in the air.

Sections
Shortcuts