Another dimwitted ESPN article on TB/BB and the Hernandez Situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Another dimwitted ESPN article on TB/BB and the Hernandez Situation

I won't link it for them to get hits, so here is the whole thing; it will be in the ESPN magazine

MOST DAYS, the sports industrial complex is merely nauseating, with its overheated cliches of leadership and adversity, respect and disrespect; with its inappropriate war analogies routinely transforming both the English language and any sense of perspective into self-indulgent mush.

When Aaron Hernandez was charged with murder in June, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, the public faces of the New England Patriots, initially said nothing. Belichick was on vacation. Here was the player he scouted, drafted and rewarded with a $40 million contract being connected to two shootings and three murders, and apparently the coach didn't think it was important enough to return home.

When Brady, general of the red zone, father of three, finally did speak about Hernandez nearly a month later, Bela Lugosi couldn't have made his first public comments sound more inhuman: "I've seen a lot of things over 13 years," the quarterback told Peter King of Sports Illustrated, "and what I have learned is that mental toughness and putting aside personal agendas for what's in the best interest of the team matters most … I have moved on. I'm focusing on the great teammates I have who are committed to helping us win games. The only thing I care about is winning. Nothing is going to ever get in the way of that goal."

Subsequent Brady comments, after the organization got its story straight, at least allowed that the situation was a "terrible thing," but his first, unscripted words spoke loudest. In other words, tough break, Odin Whatever-your-name-was, but Tom has game film to watch. He's moved on. Brady made a teammate's being charged with a murder while also being linked to a drive-by double murder a year earlier sound no different from overcoming Richard Seymour's being traded to the Raiders.

On July 24, with Odin Lloyd long buried, Belichick spoke for the first time, and the media, defeated and supplicant, all but tripped over themselves in lauding him for being "forthcoming," "candid" and "heartfelt."

Had it not been so disgusting, it might have been funny. All the great coach -- this molder of men -- did was finally take a few minutes out of his busy schedule, a month after Lloyd's last breath, to say he felt terrible that a 27-year-old was lowered into the ground too soon, murdered, allegedly, by one of his players. Belichick was praised for acting like a human being.

When the media were done applauding Belichick for doing the least amount possible, it was suggested that the Patriots did not owe the public a response, because it would give the impression that the 
organization was somehow responsible for Hernandez's alleged crimes.

Here's the truth: The Patriots do owe the public, because they and every other sports team in America take from the public, profit from the public, sell their name to the public. The Patriots sell their players not just as athletes but as people whose names fans should wear proudly on their backs, and it is the coach who takes the credit for his acumen when his find dances in the end zone or, as Hernandez did, makes a $50,000 charitable donation.

Teams bathe in the fiction that they value character, can spot it and develop it; yet here, when character actually mattered, the great coach and his legendary quarterback looked as small as a hash mark. Had Hernandez saved a toddler from drowning instead of allegedly putting a bullet into a friend, the Patriots would have claimed him. The hero machine would have churned, applauding itself for giving the poor kid from the tough background a chance, first to take credit for the sunshine. But since Brady, who has "moved on," values only victory, then maybe the public should not care about his golf tournaments, charity events and foundations, the image scrubbings that are part of the hero game.

As for the media, they were in effect making the argument that the Patriots have historically set the bar so low that no one expected any humanity from Belichick. That in itself is an obvious indictment. Here was a coach who talked community while disappearing from it. And if anyone was surprised that a murder could actually get his attention, maybe Belichick was never a leader in the first place.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Another dimwitted ESPN article on TB/BB and the Hernandez Situation

he answered the whole point tour the article right here;

"When the media were done applauding Belichick for doing the least amount possible, it was suggested that the Patriots did not owe the public a response, because it would give the impression that the 
organization was somehow responsible for Hernandez's alleged crimes."

damn right the Pats owe nothing to the public, if you want answers ask Aaron. Kraft privately own the Pats and can do as he wishes as it pertains to what his employees say regarding internal matters.  I don't think anyone was thinking this, what do they feed these guys at ESPN!

"Had Hernandez saved a toddler from drowning instead of allegedly putting a bullet into a friend, the Patriots would have claimed him."

Really? They don't claimBrady for working with autistic kids, they claim him for being a football player and leader of the team. Thus guy is definitely on something!

"Here was a coach who talked community while disappearing from it. And if anyone was surprised that a murder could actually get his attention, maybe Belichick was never a leader in the first place." 

He runs a football team as a coach, he is not a Mayor. I am sure every coach in the NFL would set this guy straight if he said this person to person. Whole article is like reading a whinny housewife who didn't get juicy details from her more popular friends.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

I won't link it for them to get hits, so here is the whole thing; it will be in the ESPN magazine

MOST DAYS, the sports industrial complex is merely nauseating, with its overheated cliches of leadership and adversity, respect and disrespect; with its inappropriate war analogies routinely transforming both the English language and any sense of perspective into self-indulgent mush.

When Aaron Hernandez was charged with murder in June, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, the public faces of the New England Patriots, initially said nothing. Belichick was on vacation. Here was the player he scouted, drafted and rewarded with a $40 million contract being connected to two shootings and three murders, and apparently the coach didn't think it was important enough to return home.

When Brady, general of the red zone, father of three, finally did speak about Hernandez nearly a month later, Bela Lugosi couldn't have made his first public comments sound more inhuman: "I've seen a lot of things over 13 years," the quarterback told Peter King of Sports Illustrated, "and what I have learned is that mental toughness and putting aside personal agendas for what's in the best interest of the team matters most … I have moved on. I'm focusing on the great teammates I have who are committed to helping us win games. The only thing I care about is winning. Nothing is going to ever get in the way of that goal."

Subsequent Brady comments, after the organization got its story straight, at least allowed that the situation was a "terrible thing," but his first, unscripted words spoke loudest. In other words, tough break, Odin Whatever-your-name-was, but Tom has game film to watch. He's moved on. Brady made a teammate's being charged with a murder while also being linked to a drive-by double murder a year earlier sound no different from overcoming Richard Seymour's being traded to the Raiders.

On July 24, with Odin Lloyd long buried, Belichick spoke for the first time, and the media, defeated and supplicant, all but tripped over themselves in lauding him for being "forthcoming," "candid" and "heartfelt."

Had it not been so disgusting, it might have been funny. All the great coach -- this molder of men -- did was finally take a few minutes out of his busy schedule, a month after Lloyd's last breath, to say he felt terrible that a 27-year-old was lowered into the ground too soon, murdered, allegedly, by one of his players. Belichick was praised for acting like a human being.

When the media were done applauding Belichick for doing the least amount possible, it was suggested that the Patriots did not owe the public a response, because it would give the impression that the 
organization was somehow responsible for Hernandez's alleged crimes.

Here's the truth: The Patriots do owe the public, because they and every other sports team in America take from the public, profit from the public, sell their name to the public. The Patriots sell their players not just as athletes but as people whose names fans should wear proudly on their backs, and it is the coach who takes the credit for his acumen when his find dances in the end zone or, as Hernandez did, makes a $50,000 charitable donation.

Teams bathe in the fiction that they value character, can spot it and develop it; yet here, when character actually mattered, the great coach and his legendary quarterback looked as small as a hash mark. Had Hernandez saved a toddler from drowning instead of allegedly putting a bullet into a friend, the Patriots would have claimed him. The hero machine would have churned, applauding itself for giving the poor kid from the tough background a chance, first to take credit for the sunshine. But since Brady, who has "moved on," values only victory, then maybe the public should not care about his golf tournaments, charity events and foundations, the image scrubbings that are part of the hero game.

As for the media, they were in effect making the argument that the Patriots have historically set the bar so low that no one expected any humanity from Belichick. That in itself is an obvious indictment. Here was a coach who talked community while disappearing from it. And if anyone was surprised that a murder could actually get his attention, maybe Belichick was never a leader in the first place.

as much as this article is BSPN self important bs as usual Brady does come across cold and callous here...to be honest i always thought derek jeter was not so "classy' as cold and aloof but i never thought that of brady...this makes me think twice

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Bradys response was to a question about 'his reaction to Hernandez being arrested and cut and how will this affect your offense'?, not 'can you give me your personal thoughts and feelings about what is heppening with Aaron Hernandez and Odin Lloyd'? Totally used out of context in the ESPN article. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Moving on...Brady has no strong feelings towards Aaron's dilemma. So what? Aaron isn't a child, he's not Brady's responsibility. I stood up for him and hoped he was innocent, but the evidence against him seems solid. I still wish he didn't do it, not because I want him on the team that badly, but because he threw away his life and left his kid without a father. I think Brady, and the other Patriot leaders, did the right thing in holding their words.

Belichick's words were more important, he came across as a disappointed father to me. There was nothing BB could do for Hern if he came back, he had to let the justice system run its course. Staying on vacation was neither the right nor wrong decision, it was just a decision.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

was that article republished in it's entirety? It seems that many things were taken out of context.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

was that article republished in it's entirety? It seems that many things were taken out of context.

It doesn't change the fact that the author believes they are entitled to more than they deserve. It doesn't change the fact that the author wrote a smear piece on the Pats. It doesn't change the fact the Pats took the authors binky sometime in their life and they are still jealous and it has ruined this authors journalistic integrity. This is what you get when you have a generation growing up thinking the National Enquirer is the epitome of journalistic integrity. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

When Patriot players start being called to testify in the AH case, they will be damn glad they kept their mouths shut. I'm sure the organization's legal counsel has informed all that "anything you say---" Kraft has to protect his organization to the best of his ability, whether the media likes it or not.  How long before the Odin family sues the Kraft family for Hernandezs actions. $50,000? my butt they re going to be looking for $50 million.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow.  It's reads as if Brady and Belichick paid Hernandez for the hit.

Stupid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Oh gee....another useless article trying to gain hits & attention. Seriously, is there anyone left in the sports media with half a grain of integrity anymore? Just add the author of this pile of dog-doo to the giant gathering of idiots trying to make a name for themselves....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Cue rkarp coming in and defending this piece of garbage and deeming the writer very "credible and intelligent".

ESPN is becoming more and more like TMZ with each coming day.  No facts; quotes taken out of context; just trying to entice dumb readers into getting clicks by posting some dramatic title.  Pathetic.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wow, pretty disgusting article, if I'm the Pats I make it very hard for ESPN to cover this team going forward. I will admit I thought Brady's comments at the time were cold - someone said earlier that it was a question regarding the offense - but still it was on the day "Brady and Belichick were going to speak for the first time regarding Hernandez" - and those were the quotes we got out of him. The writer even made Belichick look bad for doing a good job answering questions regarding Hernandez. I guess it didn't really matter how the Patriots handled this thing, they were going to take the blame and be linked to this thing forever.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

When it comes to a murder investigation/case....why is it so hard for these brain dead reporters to understand that EVERYONE within the organization has been instructed by legal council to keep their mouth shut? I swear these sport writers (if you can call these hacks that) can't get this through their thick skulls.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

A nasty article written by ESPN about the Sons of Belichik and this surprises anyone?

They just plain bite...ESPN is a joke...frontrunners and backstabbers...they are the TMZ of the sportsworld except TMZ doesn't take themselves seriously...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

There are all too few professional journalists who write about sports.  This smoldering lump of bat guano isn't worth the time of day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I blame ESPN for inflating Hernandez's ego.  ESPN was showing AH football highlights onTV back when he was seventeen.  If he became a megalomaniac as a result of the media glorifying his football exploits, isn't ESPN complicit in this?

Shame on you ESPN.  Making kids think they are so special that the rules don't apply to them.  ESPN is the root cause of these character flawed athletes.  The Patriots are a victim.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

And we are suppose to take this espn author seriously!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/howard-bryant-arrested-espn_n_828927.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

I blame ESPN for inflating Hernandez's ego.  ESPN was showing AH football highlights onTV back when he was seventeen.  If he became a megalomaniac as a result of the media glorifying his football exploits, isn't ESPN complicit in this?

Shame on you ESPN.  Making kids think they are so special that the rules don't apply to them.  ESPN is the root cause of these character flawed athletes.  The Patriots are a victim.

you got to be kidding me...this is weak in the extreme

i have been corrected that this was tongue in cheek-my apologies

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I guess they expected Brady to form a lynch mob right then and there to show how much he cared.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

as much as this article is BSPN self important bs as usual Brady does come across cold and callous here...to be honest i always thought derek jeter was not so "classy' as cold and aloof but i never thought that of brady...this makes me think twice

That doesn't show Brady as cold and aloof. It shows him proclaiming he won't get sucked into the media drama and drawing a line in the sand to keep these gluttons at bay. After those ground rules were set he was able to be more forthcoming.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

how could anyone even read that article? oh yeah, everyone just did....

when is anyone on this board going to realize that the business of media is just that, a business, and the main goal is to not write gospel, but to make money?

you have the option to read, click or turn away..if you dont like it, dont open it up or dont read it...if you do read it, kaching....more money, more money...

please realize, the purpose of any business including media, is to make money, not to appease certain sports fans.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

please realize, the purpose of any business including media, is to make money, not to appease certain sports fans.

So are you supporting the media when they report complete BS nonsense just to get their hits and "make money"??

What ever happened to integrity in this country? Shouldn't the public be able to rely on the media to do their job of reporting the TRUTH? I understand all businesses are in business to make money...but at what expense?

Todays media is a complete circus, and they have lost the trust of the public in a big way. But hey, anything to make a buck right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

When one can be shown crying about his football slights as he came up the ranks, but then not acknowledge the tragic awfulness of the death of someone by someone you work with on a daily basis, it bathes Brady in a pretty bad light. 

I am want to give Brady the benefit of doubt, because I think Belichick has pounded the "you give the media nothing" message into his head so many times, but you've got to be able to turn that off at the appropriate times, and this was one of them. 

The story is right that Belichick shouldn't have been praised as much as he was.  He's like Obama, he's got the media in the palm of his hand. 

But that said, its not his place to publicly raise up his players when they do great things off the field - or even on the field, and Belichick rarely does that.  That's what the org does.  But every org does that, and they should.  Promotion is a part of building a brand and profits.  That said, when the isht does hit the fan, the proper response should not be to say you were duped. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

[QUOTE]

Shame on you ESPN.  Making kids think they are so special that the rules don't apply to them.  ESPN is the root cause of these character flawed athletes.  The Patriots are a victim.

you got to be kidding me...this is weak in the extreme

[/QUOTE]

Go back to high school english class and learn what parody is.  

Embarrassing.

Well done, bostate.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

When one can be shown crying about his football slights as he came up the ranks, but then not acknowledge the tragic awfulness of the death of someone by someone you work with on a daily basis, it bathes Brady in a pretty bad light. 

I am want to give Brady the benefit of doubt, because I think Belichick has pounded the "you give the media nothing" message into his head so many times, but you've got to be able to turn that off at the appropriate times, and this was one of them. 

The story is right that Belichick shouldn't have been praised as much as he was.  He's like Obama, he's got the media in the palm of his hand. 

But that said, its not his place to publicly raise up his players when they do great things off the field - or even on the field, and Belichick rarely does that.  That's what the org does.  But every org does that, and they should.  Promotion is a part of building a brand and profits.  That said, when the isht does hit the fan, the proper response should not be to say you were duped. 

Belichick has the media in the palm of his hand?  Come on UD.  You know damn well the media cannot stand BB.  The fact that they gave him respect for his press conference speaks volumes.  Now Obama on the other hand, I completely agree.

Also, in your opinion, what should have Brady said?  He said the situation was terrible and he felt compassion for the victim.  He then went on to mention that there is a legal process so he wouldn't shed too much light on the situation, although he stated that he had personal  feelings when it first happened.  Personal as in he doesn't want to share them with the media just to satisfy a bunch of annoying little reporters who can then go and twist his words to get hits.  I don't see how anybody can take issue with what Brady, BB, or Kraft said.  They sent condolences to the family, said how disappointed/shocked they were, and then said they would respect the legal process that is ongoing.  I'm really confused as to what else they should have said.

Sections
Shortcuts