Another Peyton CHOKE!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: Another Peyton CHOKE!!!!!!!

Really pathetic BADAZZ. Whats next? Pats won with kicking? Guess what! Brady got his kicker within field goal range and he made the kicks. Manning on the other hand can't do it then gets mad at his kicker for missing a 51 yard kick. Manning doesn't even have the stones to man up and take his share of the blame for the loss. Manning, the Colts and their fans' sense of entitlement is sad. They're all so twisted angry because they didn't get their usual bogus interference calls. It's hillarious

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm surprised that I haven't heard anybody mention what seems very obvious to me in all this "Peyton choked again" talk -- the Colts went to one of their bread-and-butter plays on third and five and the Saints knew what was coming. They sent the pressure and Porter was right where he was supposed to be and he took the ball from Wayne and the Saints took the game from Indy right there. Is that Peyton Manning choking, or is that good preparation and execution?

Manning's problem is that the media looks at his flashy (but ultimately meaningless) regular season numbers and builds him up into this irresisitible force that simply cannot be contained, and then when he goes out against quality oppostion and is merely mortal, he is then labeled a choker for failing to single-handedly defeat the Mongol horde (so to speak).

Don't get me wrong, I love to watch Peyton and the Colts crumble under adversity (almost as much as I love watching them flat out quit), but most any other quarterback throws that pass and it's great defense. It seems as if the "choke" label comes out for Peyton more quickly than anyone else not simply because he's never really delivered on the big stage (unless you count that pre-packaged victory Rex Grossman hand delivered three years ago), but also because the media so desperately wants to make him into something he clearly isn't.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Andydest. Show Andydest's posts

Bye Bye Peyton Goodbye

Bye bye Choker don't cry

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Good post p-mike. I agree all the way.

Clearly the media has an unhealthy obsession with jughead manning. I think its somehow connected to the talking skeleton known as tony dungy who, as a member of a privileged class, has always enjoyed guaranteed immunity from any form of criticism and will continue to do so till the end of time.

I think there's some sort of psychological transferance going on here where dungy's sainthood has been bestowed on manning, in the eyes of the media.

In any case, it was a wonderfull thing to see, but I expect by next season the sports media will be right back in their accustomed place, worshipping at the alter of saint manning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Hey, 1000 posts!

Do I get a plaque or something?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

Peyton is not a choker....his team was beaten by a better team yesterday.  Don't be biased because of your allegiance to Brady whom noone would argue is a great QB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

As much as I am gloating over the Colts loss, I have to agree with pmike.  The defense read that play all the way.  They sent pressure on Manning and Porter jumped the route.  Although after looking at it several times it seems that it wasn't a great throw either.  Given the chance again,  I think Manning would of wanted to throw a little more to the outside of Wayne. 
    Unfortunately the Colts are not done.  They still have the same receivers, the same qb and OL.  They'll still be there next year.  Their problem is that the Pats should be improved.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

Encinitas & Patsfansince1966-You both make some good points & I agree with Evil2010 that it was terrible to see him clearly frustrated after the kicker missed from 51yds. Maybe you guys are right.  A 51 yd field goal is a pretty tough kick for most kickers, and your also right that If Peyton & the offense would have gotten one more first down, the kicker probably makes the kick. Drew Brees may now be the second best QB, behind a healthy Tom Brady. San Diego should have never left him go! I tip my hat to the Saints, they have a pretty solid team, with a lot of weapons.
    Thanks again for another good year on your forum,  and for alot of interesting & sometimes funny post's. See you guys next year, and good luck to your Red Soxs. My niece just loves the Boston Red Soxs, and one of these days I'm going to take her to Fenway to see them play. I won't wear no Steeler-shirts so I get out of Boston alive!(lol)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

pmike - I mentioned this earlier.  Porter spoke of it after the game.  When Collie montioned inside of Wayne they knew what play it was.  They said it is one of the colts favorite plays and had seen it frequently.  Its a timing play, so its seems clear Manning wasn't overly concerned about Porter.  Regardless, excellent play.  Here's my thoughts on why it happened and this is also a response to some on possibly why Manning was mad about the missed fg. 

The previous series to the pick six was the missed FG series.  And Manning haters listen up, because imo this is where I most commonly find fault with him.  In that previous series (the missed fg series), Manning had 3rd and 11 from the 33.  Manning went deep to Collie for an incomplete pass near the goal line.  If manning screws up generally, these are the situations.  He went for it all on that play (when he may not have needed to) and came up short.  I don't know if anyone was open underneath, but he needed only 5 yards.  If he gets the 5 yards, then the Colts have a 4th and 6 from the 28 and now the colts can decide if they want to go for it (more manageable) or kick a significantly more possible 46 yd FG.  Everyone knows Stover can't hit from 50+.  So, in my opinion, that's where manning skrwed the pooch. 

If Manning gets enough yardage to make stover comfortable and stover hits the FG, Colts are up 4.  Even if the Saints score a TD, they don't go for 2, get 7, and the colts are down 3 and can play a little differently. 

However, this may be how the pick six happened.  So, on the previous series Manning went for it all when (imo, and maybe others, or even his) he shouldn't have.  So now the colts are down 7 at approximately the same spot on the field (31 yd line) as the last series and a better 3rd dn situation - 3rd & 5.  Go for the bread and butter. Get the short yardage to help the fg or if fortunate get the 1st and move on.   Saints saw the play, jumped it, and the Super bowl was history.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

It was a great defensive play by Porter. The Saints' defense isn't top notch by the rankings, but they were the best at taking the ball away. And they managed to keep the Colts off the scoreboard after their first drive of the second half. So call it a "choke" or not, the end result is the same. Once again the Colts come up short in the postseason. Deion Sanders hit the nail on the head. The game was destined to come down to which guy made a mistake. Brees was calm and collected, Manning threw an ill advised pick. I think the whole point Prime was trying to make was that there's no way you can call Manning the "greatset ever". Despite all the stats and regular season wins, the goal of playing the game is to bring home the Lombardi. When guys like Montana are 16-7 with four rings, and Brady is 14-4 with three, how can you put Manning ahead of them with only one ring and a .500 postseason record? The talking heads were all ready to crown Peyton had he won last night. So call it what you will, the facts are indisputable. Manning simply cannot play in the postseason as well as he does through December. Coming in second in the NFL only wins you the #31 pick in the draft! Nobody tries to put Marino on the same level as Montana, why should Manning be any different, one SB notwithstanding. There is a pattern with Peyton which goes all the way back to Knoxville. So while I'd not dispute him being Canton material, there's no way he's on the level of guys like Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, or Brady.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The problem is how the media likes to depict Manning. They want him to have Marino stats and Montana's rings so that they can proclaim him best QB of all time and no one could really dispute them (if he actually had the rings). I won't say Manning is a choke artist, he is simply not the player that is so often depicted. This is obviously due to lack of post-season success. He is .500 QB in the post-season and that doesn't put you close to the "best of all-time" fallacy.

Brees played better than Manning in the 2nd half and he deserves all the accolades he gets. It always bothers me when some one insists so and so lost and so and so won. Teams win. Teams lose.Yeah, Manning lost, but see the game for what it is: New Orleans played great for three quarters and the Colts played good for one. Better team won. Porter read that play perfectly and it was only a matter of time before the Saints DBs starting jumping all over the Colts short routes, trying for the pick. Randall Gay has as many rings as the Manning Bros.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

EVIL 2010: STOP DWELLING IN THE PAST. IT'S TIME FOR NEW DYNASTIES JUST OVER THE HORIZON. I COACH AND I NEVER USE EXCUSES PRESENT OR PAST. LIVING VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOUR TEAM AND COMPLAINING ABOUT ANY POSSIBLE THING NOT IN YOUR FAVOR IS CHILDISH. I'M WORKING ON MY 12TH STATE CHAMPIONSHIP NEXT YEAR AND I ACCEPT DEFEAT LIKE WINNING. THAT DOES SOUND LIKE WHINING. I SEE ALL THE RETICENT VERMIN OF LAST WEEK COME OUT OF THEIR CAVERNS TO WREAK DISPARAGING CRITICISM THIS WEEK BECAUSE BRADY'S LEGACY COULD BE THREATEND. HIS LEGACY IS IN PLACE. STATS ARE FOR LOSERS BUT THEN I'M SURE YOU WEREN'T ROOTING FOR RECORDS TO FALL TO THE PATS. SOUR GRAPES. COACHES IN MY LEAGUE WITH SOUR GRAPES ARE IGNORED AND OSTRACIZED BY OTHER COACHES. GEAUX PATS!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J.Bolt. Show J.Bolt's posts

REX GROSSMAN

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

Womanning chokes...gotta love it!  The media will blame the int on Freeney's ankle.

Actually, I believe the proper target is Adam Vinatieri. I kid, I kid.

There's no denying it. Peyton Manning single-handedly (and quite literally) threw away Super Bowl XLIV. Does that sound like something the greatest QB ever would do?

Of course not!

Brady definitely ascended the list of greatest QBs to play the game. Manning's latest folly demonstrates just how hard it is to lead a team to a comeback win in the Super Bowl. Brady did it twice, and went on to repeat as a champion the following year. Manning can have his stats. Brady will gladly accept three (or more) rings for not as gaudy numbers (although, he's doing just fine in that department lately as well).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

wonder if Saturday Night Live might do a parody about the queen of the chokersLaughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrue. Show mtrue's posts

Peyton Manning is still a great quarterback -- he made a mistake --  a very costly mistake -- it could happen to anyone (I'm glad it happened to him).  But the thing is to me -- How about Drew Brees!!?? -- was he magnificent or what?  The guy was on the money all day.  I thought that the Pats should have (could have) beaten the Colts this season -- but against the Saints we had no shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeDS. Show JoeDS's posts

In Response to Re: Another Peyton CHOKE!!!!!!!:
    [ Brady would have never tossed such a careless ball like that with plenty of time left on the clock nearing the red zone.]

No he would have just dropped it into the defensive man's hands like he did against the Ravens.........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeDS. Show JoeDS's posts

In Response to Re: Another Peyton CHOKE!!!!!!!:

"Amazon.com was offering advance sales of a book written by The Boston Globe sports staff, "19-0: The Historic Championship Season of New England's Unbeatable Patriots," for $14.95.

New England is only 18-0 going into the showdown with the Giants, who are 12-point underdogs.

The books were no longer listed late Tuesday."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Brady threw a very costly INT in the SB vs the Panthers. He threw it near the goalline and it ignited the Panthers and the game became a shootout.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomSinMA. Show TomSinMA's posts

It seems to me that Manning can never win the big game-------  except one time!!  That goes back to college! He is a great QB and will probly break all the passing records before he's done. But, like Marino, he'll be known as not einning the big one! Winning is the name for the game---  NOT stats!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodsport. Show goodsport's posts

Please let's not compare Peyton's regular season's stats against Brady's!  I would be shocked if PM did not retire with the best regular season stats in the NFL.  He plays 8 games every year in a dome.  He plays at Houston, Tenn and Jacksonville every year.  And some of the remaining 5 games are against othere teams are played in Sept. and Oct.  Gee!  How many games does he actually play in wind, snow, cold weather and rain?  Maybe, at best, one or two!

What do you think Brady's stats would be under the same cicumstances, or fot that matter, any other great QB?  Brady has won SB's with "no clear first round receivers", He won one with "no top notch cornerbacks" and for the most part he has not had to work with great RB's!

I am sick and tired of seeing PM in all of his reciculous commercials, I am sick and tired of hearing about his regular season stats!  9-9 in playoffs says it all!

The real reason they did not go for an ubdefeated season is that the coach did not want to put added pressure on him because it is obvious how he performs under pressure!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoneEdgeAdamLarry. Show BoneEdgeAdamLarry's posts

I'm not a fan of the Colts or Pats, and I was happy to see the Saints win, but Manning's interception in no way elevates the status of Brady.  It may be tough for Pats fans to hear, but Brady is clearly one of the most overrated QB's ever.  Excellent?  Yes.  HOF-worthy?  Sure.  Greatest of all time?  Sorry - no.  Definitely not top 5.  Probably not even top 10. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodsport. Show goodsport's posts

Bone   Real thoughtful post!  You can't fool me!  You are a Colts fan! Too bad!  If you say that Brady might not even be in the top ten you are a fool!  Manning's interception does not raise Brady's status, it just puts Manning further behind Brady!  Not even top ten?  Wow, very thoughtful!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/kerry-byrne/2010/02/10/manning-far-greatest?page=0,0..... 

Sections
Shortcuts