Another too early crack at the 53 Man Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Another too early crack at the 53 Man Roster

QB: Brady, Mallett 

RB: Ridley, Vereen, Washington, Bolden, Blount

WR: Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater, Harrison

OL: Solder, Vollmer, Mankins, Wendell, Connelly, Svitek, Cannon, McDonnald

TE: Gronk, Hooman, Sudfeld, Ford

DE: Jones, Nink, Francis, Bequette, Buchanan

DT: Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Vellano

LB: Hightower, Mayo, Spikes, Collins, Beauharnis, Fletcher

S: McCourty, A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon, Ebner

CB: Dennard, Talib, Dowling, Ryan, Arrington

ST: Mesko, Ghost, Aiken

I know it's ridiculously early for these type of projections, but this board has been totally dead the past few weeks. What do y'all think? I can't see there being a spot for Tebow on this roster. Thompkins, Cunningham, Cole, Fortson, Winn, Grissom, Ballard, Rivera & Stankevich would all make it before Tebow, IMO.

PUP: Ballard

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Another too early crack at the 53 Man Roster

I think Harrison is a very, very long shot. I still think Jones is on the team if he is healthy

I do think Fells is on the team and I do think Ballard is on the team assuming he is healthy

I see you have Gregory not making the team. If you have Fells and Gregory not making the team, which you have both off, that would make last years free agency crop an unmitigated disaster. 

PI like Cunningham on he team for his versatility. He could play 3 positions on this defense and play ST.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Nice try to get a football discussion going, but like you say it's way too early.  Need at least a little data from camp and/or preseason games to even hazard a guess, especially in positions like WR and TE. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I know it's ridiculously early for these type of projections, but this board has been totally dead the past few weeks. What do y'all think? I can't see there being a spot for Tebow on this roster. Thompkins, Cunningham, Cole, Fortson, Winn, Grissom, Ballard, Rivera & Stankevich would all make it before Tebow, IMO.

Gronk PUP, Ballard makes the team. Ford makes the team only if Fells can't play STs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Also, cut Bolden and add Cole... 

STs gives him a spot, Bolden/Blount are competing a spot. Highly unlikely both make the team.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think Harrison is a very, very long shot. I still think Jones is on the team if he is healthy

I do think Fells is on the team and I do think Ballard is on the team assuming he is healthy

I see you have Gregory not making the team. If you have Fells and Gregory not making the team, which you have both off, that would make last years free agency crop an unmitigated disaster. 

PI like Cunningham on he team for his versatility. He could play 3 positions on this defense and play ST.

Why keep bad players just because you're afraid to admit a mistake?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Nice try to get a football discussion going, but like you say it's way too early.  Need at least a little data from camp and/or preseason games to even hazard a guess, especially in positions like WR and TE. 

Disagree, this is exactly what this board needs at this time of year. Thanks Whatzu.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Better than Tebow and Hernandez talk

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Also, cut Bolden and add Cole... 

STs gives him a spot, Bolden/Blount are competing a spot. Highly unlikely both make the team.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

I think you could be right about this.  Cole is a guy who I have a tough time projecting to be cut because of his ST value.  I really think that our offense will feature a heavy dose of the run game this year, and that is why I included both Blount and Bolden.  I could easily see one or the other being cut though...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

I welcome ANY new posts on here at this point. The same 15-20 have been floating for days. Most about the same 2 or 3 topics. We sure do new some new stuff to chew on fellas. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

WR: Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater, Harrison, Jenkins

TE: Gronk, Hooman, Sudfeld, Ford, Ballard

DE: Jones, Nink, Francis, Bequette, Buchanan, Vega

DT: Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Vellano, Forston

I know it's ridiculously early for these type of projections, but this board has been totally dead the past few weeks. What do y'all think? I can't see there being a spot for Tebow on this roster. Thompkins, Cunningham, Cole, Fortson, Winn, Grissom, Ballard, Rivera & Stankevich would all make it before Tebow, IMO. - agree

I have a couple of changes but overall I agree with your roster.

Red - players I'd remove

Blue - players I'd add

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Just curious why you guys think this UDFA Vellano makes it? Seems undersized at 285. Are they that thin (so to speak) at DT?

Also, 10 DBs (5 safeties?) seems like too many. Is that normal?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Im not gonna take a stab at the roster, being at like 90 something and no look anyone but I am concerned about so much stock being put into this Ballard kid. I mean I know we have other depth but I keep hearing posters say things like "thank god BB got Ballard" but from everything Ive seen, this guy is just average. Sure he is a big body guy, but so was Rod Rutledge. My point is we only saw him play with the Gaints and he had some moderate success vs us but mainly a hobbled P.CHung.(not impressive) and he has never been fast and was reportedl still limping heavily in minicamp.  So I pose this question not to be negative but as a concern. Was the little succes Ballard had in NY due to Eli having 3 Strong WR options to go to in Nicks, Manningham, and Cruz?? I mean would be he lumbering down the middle of the field wide open HERE seeing as we have NO outside threats? I think its a diff. dynamic. N.Y. had LEgit outside weapons which allowed a mediocre TE to get loose and make some plays. Here, we HAD 2 Dynamic TEs that allowed our less talented outside threads to catch a few balls but for the most part we just DIDNT UTILIZE THEM. So Im asking with unproven outside threats and a slower TE who was already slow coming off injury, are we really counting on or expecting much from this guy? Im not. I would rather bank on Hooman and Fells. Ballard has been severely overated here IMO.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

TE: Gronk, Hooman, Sudfeld, Ford, Ballard

I know it's ridiculously early for these type of projections, but this board has been totally dead the past few weeks. What do y'all think? I can't see there being a spot for Tebow on this roster. Thompkins, Cunningham, Cole, Fortson, Winn, Grissom, Ballard, Rivera & Stankevich would all make it before Tebow, IMO. - agree

I have a couple of changes but overall I agree with your roster.

Red - players I'd remove

Blue - players I'd add

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

Good stuff Eng.  Yeah, I agree that Jenkins has the inside track on making the team over Harrison because of his veteran leadership.  I really like Harrison's skillset, though.  The guy is big, fast, and talented and I think he has a chance to suprise some people and make this team if he can get healthy and pick things up quickly.  He has the potential to be the big-play WR that we have been lacking for a while.  I'm pretty interested in seeing him in camp.  The Fortson/Beauharnis swap could totally happen too, especially if they feel that they can get Beau. through to the P.S.  I like both young players.  As for the TE position, things are clearly up in the air as far as Gronk's week 1 availability and Ballard's health.  I do really like Ford's potential.  He is another guy who is really talented and will be interesting to watch in camp.  Like Harrison, he needs to get healthy and learn the system quickly but he has a chance to impress.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

QB: Brady, Mallett TEBOW

RB: Ridley, Vereen, Washington, Bolden, Blount, WINN

TE: Gronk PUP, Hooman, Sudfeld, Ford, Ballard

Red - players I'd remove

Blue - players I'd add

add Tebow.  BB/kraft will keep him just for the positive publicity and practice QB and hopefully he will develop into a solid back up QB/HB/TE. bolden traded for a 7th. Harrison on the PS. Winn will be a surprising camp talent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Am I the only one that thinks Ballard will be cut even after all they did to get him due to guys being healthier, younger in front of him. I mean why wouldnt they roll with Sudfeld. Ballard hasnt played here yet to have a leg up on him and is still hobbled and was slow to begin with. Outside of a redzone target, I dont get the fascination.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

Red - players I'd remove

Blue - players I'd add

add Tebow.  BB/kraft will keep him just for the positive publicity and practice QB and hopefully he will develop into a solid back up QB/HB/TE. bolden traded for a 7th. Harrison on the PS. Winn will be a surprising camp talent.

I like Winn as a sleeper too. Not really buying Vega, and definitely not buying Tebow. If we're going to keep a guy just because he has a good image, we might as well just sign the Pope. He can probably throw a better spiral than Tebow too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I am glad to see some onfield discussion coming back into the forum. 

I think people are pretty close with there predictions. I am not sure I see Winn or Harrison make the active roster. They both seem like candidates for the practice squad. I cannot imagine that they would carry three rookie WRs (Boyce, Dobson, Harrison) plus Amedola and Edelman as the receiving corps (Slater is really there for special teams).

Same thing with the idea of Ford and Sudfeld. One of them will be practice squad. If Gronk or Ballard starts on PUP, two rookies out of four TEs sounds like a high ratio.

On the defensive side, I think people are pretty spot on. Assuming McCourty is now a fulltime saftey on this team (which will cost him $$$ in free agency some day), I don't see room for Gregory counting $2.2M against he cap (they can save about $1M of that cutting him).

For guys, like Vega, Vellano, Beauhmis, and Fortson I think camp will be needed to sort them out.

I do not get the whole Rutgers thing. There are 8 guys on the 90-man roster including 5 rookies. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay only brought in 2 rookies from the Scarlet Knights. You would think that Schiano himself would know best if these guys were NFL prospects.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Am I the only one that thinks Ballard will be cut even after all they did to get him due to guys being healthier, younger in front of him. I mean why wouldnt they roll with Sudfeld. Ballard hasnt played here yet to have a leg up on him and is still hobbled and was slow to begin with. Outside of a redzone target, I dont get the fascination.

If Ballard is healthy by week 1, I think he will be on the roster and be an effective weapon for NE. I do share your concern about his health, though. That is why I projected him to start on the PUP list. I like Gronk's chances to be ready for week 1 better than Ballard's at this point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Red - players I'd remove

Blue - players I'd add

You can't use a 53 man spot just for a practice player nor that you are hoping he can develop into a hybrid player. He has to provide something. Think of all the development players they've had and all but the primary backup QB did at least one thing on the team even if it's just a gunner. Unless Tebow can provide something on the ST then I can't see him making the team

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Red - players I'd remove

Blue - players I'd add

You can't use a 53 man spot just for a practice player nor that you are hoping he can develop into a hybrid player. He has to provide something. Think of all the development players they've had and all but the primary backup QB did at least one thing on the team even if it's just a gunner. Unless Tebow can provide something on the ST then I can't see him making the team

Exactly.  BB won't keep Tebow around just because he is a "great guy."  The only way he makes this team is if he improves as a passer to the point where he makes Mallett expandable.  This is highly unlikely.  Don't hold your breath on Tebow being a Patriot come September.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

that is one unimpressive group of WR...if Amendola doesn't stay healthy all year- wow

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Just curious why you guys think this UDFA Vellano makes it? Seems undersized at 285. Are they that thin (so to speak) at DT?

BB usually carries 9 or 10 DBs.  A lot of them have roles on special teams.  I think five TEs is too many. In fact, five TEs, five RBs, and six WRs seems unusual to me for BB.  BB tends to go for a total of about 13 or 14 players in those three positions.  I guess I could see 15, but 16 would surprise me. I also see eight O-linemen as light.  I'd expect nine or ten. Front seven usually has 15 or 16 players, so that's about right.    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

BB usually carries 9 or 10 DBs.  A lot of them have roles on special teams.  I think five TEs is too many. In fact, five TEs, five RBs, and six WRs seems unusual to me for BB.  BB tends to go for a total of about 13 or 14 players in those three positions.  I guess I could see 15, but 16 would surprise me. I also see eight O-linemen as light.  I'd expect nine or ten. Front seven usually has 15 or 16 players, so that's about right.    

I agree that I can't see them going 5 RBs, and 5 TEs but I think one position or the other they will carry 5 and maybe both will for the start of the season. For TE it might be a case where Gronk won't be ready until game 2/3. If that's the case you don't want to PuP him and lose even more games than you need him to. You just put him on the 53 man and maybe go a little lite on the OL. When Gronk gets back you release the 5th TE or 5th RB and pull a 9th OL (who generally isn't game day active to begin with) from the PS. The one benefit they have is they have playerss in Cannon, McDonald, and Connelly who can play multiple positions on the line so they don't have to carry as many OL.

Personally give the team specific inexperience at the WR core I think they will have to carry extra TEs this year and run more TE heavy plays. The RBs though... you are looking at a case in which 4 seems about right and I think it comes down to Bolden or Blount. If Bolden can get back to pre PED suspension form it's him but if Blount can be a goal line power back and not have the fumbles it would be hard to turn him away

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

At this point I am not sure why Ballard would be left off and I am not sure why Blount would be picked over Bolden. I am, not a fan of Blount. He has never been a player who lived up to his ability nor is he a multi talented player (at least I have not seen it).

So I would remove Blount, add Bolden, add Ballard. Remove Gronk who starts on the PUP.

Sections
Shortcuts