Another too early crack at the 53 Man Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: Another too early crack at the 53 Man Roster

Scratch Dennard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I think people are putting far too many rookies at the offensive skill positions. Guys like Harrison, Winn, Sudfeld and Ford are all more likely to be on the practice squad than the 53 man roster unless they think other teams want them. On the defensive side, I would say the same about guys like Beauharnais and Vellano.

The reality is that until camp starts, trying to nail down the last 10-15 guys on the roster is really just guess work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I think people are putting far too many rookies at the offensive skill positions. Guys like Harrison, Winn, Sudfeld and Ford are all more likely to be on the practice squad than the 53 man roster unless they think other teams want them. On the defensive side, I would say the same about guys like Beauharnais and Vellano.

The reality is that until camp starts, trying to nail down the last 10-15 guys on the roster is really just guess work.

I share those sentiments. These are bubble players that could ultmately be cut before they play a game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

true but who are you replacing them with? For the most part the guys they are competing against are either JAGs or injury prone. If given a choice I'd rather have a young player with upside over a JAG or a player who can't stay on the field for more than a handful of games

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

[QUOTE]

QB: Brady, Mallett 

RB: Ridley, Vereen, Washington, Bolden, Blount

WR: Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater, Harrison

OL: Solder, Vollmer, Mankins, Wendell, Connelly, Svitek, Cannon, McDonnald

TE: Gronk, Hooman, Sudfeld, Ford

DE: Jones, Nink, Francis, Bequette, Buchanan

DT: Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Vellano

LB: Hightower, Mayo, Spikes, Collins, Beauharnis, Fletcher

S: McCourty, A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon, Ebner

CB: Dennard, Talib, Dowling, Ryan, Arrington

ST: Mesko, Ghost, Aiken

I know it's ridiculously early for these type of projections, but this board has been totally dead the past few weeks. What do y'all think? I can't see there being a spot for Tebow on this roster. Thompkins, Cunningham, Cole, Fortson, Winn, Grissom, Ballard, Rivera & Stankevich would all make it before Tebow, IMO.

PUP: Ballard

that is one unimpressive group of WR...if Amendola doesn't stay healthy all year- wow

[/QUOTE]

Was Brady's arsenal in 2006 impressive?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

QB: Brady, Mallett 

RB: Ridley, Vereen, Washington, Bolden, Blount

WR: Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater, Harrison

OL: Solder, Vollmer, Mankins, Wendell, Connelly, Svitek, Cannon, McDonnald

TE: Gronk, Hooman, Sudfeld, Ford

DE: Jones, Nink, Francis, Bequette, Buchanan

DT: Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Vellano

LB: Hightower, Mayo, Spikes, Collins, Beauharnis, Fletcher

S: McCourty, A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon, Ebner

CB: Dennard, Talib, Dowling, Ryan, Arrington

ST: Mesko, Ghost, Aiken

I know it's ridiculously early for these type of projections, but this board has been totally dead the past few weeks. What do y'all think? I can't see there being a spot for Tebow on this roster. Thompkins, Cunningham, Cole, Fortson, Winn, Grissom, Ballard, Rivera & Stankevich would all make it before Tebow, IMO.

PUP: Ballard

that is one unimpressive group of WR...if Amendola doesn't stay healthy all year- wow

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was not, that is why they were 7th in scoring and 11th in yards that season. They also had the second rank defense in the NFL that year to compensate. I am not sure this year's D is up to that level yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

true but who are you replacing them with? For the most part the guys they are competing against are either JAGs or injury prone. If given a choice I'd rather have a young player with upside over a JAG or a player who can't stay on the field for more than a handful of games

[/QUOTE]

I think you replace them with guys who have some experience and also contribute on special teams which is tough to pinpoint until they start practicing.  To think they are going to carry six wide receivers with three of them as rookies (especially since Slater is really a special teams player) seems like a stretch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

It was not, that is why they were 7th in scoring and 11th in yards that season. They also had the second rank defense in the NFL that year to compensate. I am not sure this year's D is up to that level yet.

They scored 37, 24, and 34 points, respectively, in their 3 playoff games.  If our offense could do that this year I would be estatic.  I don't really care what their ranking was in the regular season; I want to see how they perform when it matters in January and February.  The Pats are a given to make the playoffs every single year so I'm not too concerned about regular season stats.

That 2006 team would have EASILY won the Super Bowl that year if our defense didn't suck donkey d*ck in the 2nd half against the Colts in the AFC Championship game.  They couldn't stop a freaking nosebleed.  That 2006 team would have manhandled that pathetic Bears team.  The 2006 Bears team might have been the worst team to participate in a Super Bowl in the past 15 years.

Lastly, we will see how the defense stacks up this year.  I'm excited to watch that young core progress like they have for the past couple of seasons.  Add in Wilson, Kelly, Armstead, and a few rookies and I think we have a unit that will surprise a lot of people and end up winning games for us this year.  We can hope.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think you replace them with guys who have some experience and also contribute on special teams which is tough to pinpoint until they start practicing.  To think they are going to carry six wide receivers with three of them as rookies (especially since Slater is really a special teams player) seems like a stretch.

Why is it a stretch though? Other than Edelman none of them have played with Brady yet so we don't know how any of them will actually perform and what we know about the "experienced" players (Hawkins, Jones, Jenkins) is that they haven't shown much more than JAGs or been on the field long enough to show they can be effective. In Hawkins and Jones case especially, they are just as big of unknowns as the rooks are at this point. Outside of Edelman and Amendola there are serious question marks at every single WR currently on the team, so unless there is a hidden FA gem out there the rooks have just as good of a shot to make it as the "experience" guys and more than likely the rooks are more willing to do the little ST duties than some of the more experienced guys. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

They scored 37, 24, and 34 points, respectively, in their 3 playoff games.  If our offense could do that this year I would be estatic.  I don't really care what their ranking was in the regular season; I want to see how they perform when it matters in January and February.  The Pats are a given to make the playoffs every single year so I'm not too concerned about regular season stats.

That 2006 team would have EASILY won the Super Bowl that year if our defense didn't suck donkey d*ck in the 2nd half against the Colts in the AFC Championship game.  They couldn't stop a freaking nosebleed.  That 2006 team would have manhandled that pathetic Bears team.  The 2006 Bears team might have been the worst team to participate in a Super Bowl in the past 15 years.

Lastly, we will see how the defense stacks up this year.  I'm excited to watch that young core progress like they have for the past couple of seasons.  Add in Wilson, Kelly, Armstead, and a few rookies and I think we have a unit that will surprise a lot of people and end up winning games for us this year.  We can hope.

You need to look at those games more closely. Asante Samuel had interception returns for TDs in both the Jets and Colts games (the two where the cracked 30 points). The also took advantage of a lot of short fields (thanks to the defense). Against the Chargers, three of their five scoring drives where 33 yards or less. If San Diego does not turn the ball over four times (and miss a FG at the end of regulation) the Patriots never even see the Colts.

In the AFC Championship game that year, the Patriots were dominated in the second half on both sides of the ball. The were outscored 32-13. The longest drive is was 34 yards and that was the last one and it ended in a pick. The only second half TD was set up by an 80-yard kickoff return. 

I totally agree on playoffs being more important than the regular season. That team was not good enough to win in the playoffs. They were lucky to get past the Chargers, and it took the Colts a half to wake up and realize that they were the better team. 

I think the young defense for the Patriots this year can be good, but if the offense is what it was in 2006, I doubt it can be good enough to carry the Patriots very far.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

You need to look at those games more closely. Asante Samuel had interception returns for TDs in both the Jets and Colts games (the two where the cracked 30 points). The also took advantage of a lot of short fields (thanks to the defense). Against the Chargers, three of their five scoring drives where 33 yards or less. If San Diego does not turn the ball over four times (and miss a FG at the end of regulation) the Patriots never even see the Colts.

In the AFC Championship game that year, the Patriots were dominated in the second half on both sides of the ball. The were outscored 32-13. The longest drive is was 34 yards and that was the last one and it ended in a pick. The only second half TD was set up by an 80-yard kickoff return. 

I totally agree on playoffs being more important than the regular season. That team was not good enough to win in the playoffs. They were lucky to get past the Chargers, and it took the Colts a half to wake up and realize that they were the better team. 

I think the young defense for the Patriots this year can be good, but if the offense is what it was in 2006, I doubt it can be good enough to carry the Patriots very far.

[/QUOTE]

All very good points.  I'm not one to take sides and blame one side of the ball over the other (like 90% of the board) but I have been one to say that the two sides need to work more cohesively.   There will be spurts in the game where the O is continuously scoring and the D comes out, doesn't get ANY pressure and then gives away all momentum.  Then there will be times when the D is continuing to get 3 & outs giving the offense short fields, and the O ends up punting after a 3 & out.  

I think 2006 was a perfect example of both sides doing their job more often than not which leads to a more cohesive and efficient team.  You don't need to have the most talented players or the best overall team.  What you do need is for the D to get turnovers and play consistently, and the offense to lead sustaining drives that lead to some kind of points.  That has been lacking over the past few seasons.  I really do think this year will be the year that we revert back to the 2006 type team.

But all of this stemmed from Jints being his usual d00sh self.  The offense still has many more weapons this upcoming season than they did in 2006; I was just using 2006 as a reference to the "nobodys" at WR.  Gronk will eventually be back.  Vereen will be unleashed more, whether it be in a scatback role or put out in the slot where he can use his athleticism.  Our RB core is much better than it was in 2006.  Overall, I'm not worried about the offense.  Brady will make it work with the weapons he has.  You can take that to the bank.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

Why is it a stretch though? Other than Edelman none of them have played with Brady yet so we don't know how any of them will actually perform and what we know about the "experienced" players (Hawkins, Jones, Jenkins) is that they haven't shown much more than JAGs or been on the field long enough to show they can be effective. In Hawkins and Jones case especially, they are just as big of unknowns as the rooks are at this point. Outside of Edelman and Amendola there are serious question marks at every single WR currently on the team, so unless there is a hidden FA gem out there the rooks have just as good of a shot to make it as the "experience" guys and more than likely the rooks are more willing to do the little ST duties than some of the more experienced guys. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this and that's why I didn't hesitate to put some undrafted rookies in over some of our journeyman receivers we have signed this offseason. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Tompkins or Harrison could make it over Hawkins Jones or Jenkins. Like Eng said, it's all about talent and who can jive with TB. I think our rookies have plenty of talent, even undrafted ones, and as far as developing chemistry with Brady I think everyone is trying to do that at this point. Most years I would agree that it would be crazy to project three rookies on the roster but I could actually see it happening this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this and that's why I didn't hesitate to put some undrafted rookies in over some of our journeyman receivers we have signed this offseason. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Tompkins or Harrison could make it over Hawkins Jones or Jenkins. Like Eng said, it's all about talent and who can jive with TB. I think our rookies have plenty of talent, even undrafted ones, and as far as developing chemistry with Brady I think everyone is trying to do that at this point. Most years I would agree that it would be crazy to project three rookies on the roster but I could actually see it happening this year.

[/QUOTE]

You are right that if there was ever a year that it could happen this would be the season especially at WR (with Welker, Lloyd, and Branch all leaving). I still would not be surprised to see a guy like Kamar Aiken make the team after spending last season on the practice squad.

When you throw in a bunch of other rookies, like Winn making it over Bolden, or Sudfeld and Ford making the roster but Fells not, I start to think we may be over rating undrafted rookie FA's. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Tebow will make the team by default.