Another Vince thread... forgive me.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Another Vince thread... forgive me.

Two things I wanted to bring up...

1.) If this is indeed a ruptured achilles, don't be surprised if that was Vince's final game. At 325 lbs (likely more), an achilles could very well end his career. Considering the fact that he's 32 years-old, that may be all she wrote for Vince. With that said, the fact that he walked off the field, and was walking under his own power following the game (albeit in a walking-boot), would lead most to believe that it isn't a full rupture. A partial tear seems more likely, and that can be recovered from. 

2.) I'm texting with my old-man, and these his thoughts on the departure of Vince:

"Honestly, though it may sound a bit callous, I'm thinking this is not as great a loss as some are making this out to be. Personally, I'd be much more concerned with the loss of Mayo or Talib or even McCourty than Vince. He's not an every down player at this point in his career (not sure if he ever was), and they need pressure on the QB more than anything (that's been their biggest deficiency, IMO)."

Not sure I agree with EVERYTHING he said, but there's certainly some truth to his words. Between Hightower, Mayo, and Spikes, I think this team has enough beef in the middle to stop the run. If you add a veteran, 2-down run-stopper at DT, I think his (Wilfork's) loss will be minimized. I suppose there's an argument to be made for the fact that he eats blocks and opens up opportunities for others in the pass-rush, but after his departure last night, the pass-rush didn't drop off at all... it may have even improved. Not sure I buy that argument entirely (the block eating argument).

We'll see what happens, but I'm not overly concerned. Vince will still provide leadership for this team, and although he will be missed, I don't see it as a *HUGE* deal. 

If I'm wrong, I'll happily eat some crow. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Re: Another Vince thread... forgive me.

Agree with your thoughts on moving forward without Vince. Difficult to see him go down and out. I keep hearing that he provides a lot of intangibles to the team on and off the field. He looked off this season, not sure he was playing at 100%.  Wishing him a speedy recovery, but I do think the Pats can move forward with a continued much improved D this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

He was carted off the field and was limping pretty bad, which probably had more to do with putting 300 pounds on it... but I really think he comes back...  he loves the game too much to walk away right now.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

He will be missed. Eats up space in the middle, occupies multiple blockers making the LB's look good. Vince was never a big stat guy but his impact in a game was something that could not be over looked.

Edit: he could actually dominate a game with out it showing up on the stat sheet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

I've had a coplete tear about two years ago. I could not put any weight on that foot so it tells me that Vince does not have a complete tear. It is possible to fully recover from this injury, I play soccer and tennis with no issues and I am older than Vince :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

He also has diabetes, which can both slow down the body ability to recover from an injury and quickly add on weights if he is not as physically active while he is recovering.  I do not think yesterday was  his last game, but it will not be easy for him to return to his previous level of dominance. I am crossing my fingers and wishing him the best though.

Living well is the best revenge.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

question is..........if he does come back......what is his rehab and offseason program going to be?..........He may increase his weight if he has to spend too much time off  his feet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Two things I wanted to bring up...

1.) If this is indeed a ruptured achilles, don't be surprised if that was Vince's final game. At 325 lbs (likely more), an achilles could very well end his career. Considering the fact that he's 32 years-old, that may be all she wrote for Vince. With that said, the fact that he walked off the field, and was walking under his own power following the game (albeit in a walking-boot), would lead most to believe that it isn't a full rupture. A partial tear seems more likely, and that can be recovered from. 

2.) I'm texting with my old-man, and these his thoughts on the departure of Vince:

"Honestly, though it may sound a bit callous, I'm thinking this is not as great a loss as some are making this out to be. Personally, I'd be much more concerned with the loss of Mayo or Talib or even McCourty than Vince. He's not an every down player at this point in his career (not sure if he ever was), and they need pressure on the QB more than anything (that's been their biggest deficiency, IMO)."

Not sure I agree with EVERYTHING he said, but there's certainly some truth to his words. Between Hightower, Mayo, and Spikes, I think this team has enough beef in the middle to stop the run. If you add a veteran, 2-down run-stopper at DT, I think his (Wilfork's) loss will be minimized. I suppose there's an argument to be made for the fact that he eats blocks and opens up opportunities for others in the pass-rush, but after his departure last night, the pass-rush didn't drop off at all... it may have even improved. Not sure I buy that argument entirely (the block eating argument).

We'll see what happens, but I'm not overly concerned. Vince will still provide leadership for this team, and although he will be missed, I don't see it as a *HUGE* deal. 

If I'm wrong, I'll happily eat some crow. 

Vince currently does not look like weighs only 325 - more like 340-345 now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Oh and with lack of mobility... he will soon be 340-350 if he's not right now

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I agree somewhat only because this a passing league. We came into last nights game ranked 6th vs the pass and 26th vs the run. That is a change from the norm and a good one as the most dangerous teams pass the ball. So we were already giving up more run yards than usual so losing Vince can be minimal in the fact that now we will look like more of a Giants or Colts D line. Thinner and faster which bolds well for pass rush and not so much running. If Spikes is needed, I trust him to offset the loss vs Run teams and Gregory has supported the run well so far. I def. think he be will missed as a leader and his experience in invaluble but I agree on him not being the make or break player. THAT discinction will have to go to "PAy Da Man"  A.Talib!

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

teams adapt to weaknesses.......might be a PASSING league......but as soon as they figure they can run it on you......they will do it all day.