Antonio Appleby starting ILB in 2010?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Antonio Appleby starting ILB in 2010?

Here's some info on this guy, can he improve enough to take over the inside job for next year or will be cut before he has a chance.  He has the messurables to play in the inside at 6'4" 250 and according to most reports I've seen he can hold his own on coverage.  I like his attitude and he has something to prove that never hurts with these undrafted guys.  I like this addition the best, with the addition of McKenzie who can play both ILB or OLB we should be good for years.  It will be fun to watch these LBs, Bata Cain better come in knowing he needs work harder than these guys who will fight for a spot.  Nothing gets the most out of players than competition we have 4 or 5 fighting for two starting spots should be good. 

Anyone see this guy play?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/47615.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/142812-virginias-antonio-appleby-hopes-hard-work-pays-off

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Antonio Appleby starting ILB in 2010?

He has a chance. I definitely saw him as an ILB pick for the Pats in the mid-round area.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I dont think he has a chance at beating out Guyton, or Tyrone M. I bet he is a practice squad guy for this year and then maybe he is a depth guy once Bruschi hangs um up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Yeah, McKenzie has a much, much better chance of taking over that spot.  Appleby is intriguing, but he'll have his work cut out for him just to beat out Guyton as a backup.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Of course he's fifth on the ILB depth chart. That doesn't necessarily mean he won't make the team. The Pats could carry 9 or 10 LBs and he'd have a good chance of making that team especially if it's determined that some of those ILBs can play on the outside, Appleby, Guyton, and/or McKenzie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I think I like this problem better than the one we've had for the last few years which is calling guys out of retirement to play because we don't have anyone else.

LBs are my favorite group in a football team and I love what we are putting together here.  I think we are just missing one vet to serve as a mentor (Taylor and don't count Willie out).  We now have the depth and options in such a wide variety of abilities and what guys are very good at that our D can stay active and not fall apart in 4th quarters or towards the end of the year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm going to tell you guys a bedtime story.Once upon a time Teddy Bruschi came to the New England Patriots,he was an under sized Defensive End so when he got here a guy named Bill decided to teach him a new position ILB and he became the scourge of the AFC!!! well after several very good years and 4 Super Bowl appearances it finally has come full cicle,the little Defensive end who could is running out of time so now another guy named Bill has to decide whether Bruschi has enough left to take a roster spot on this years roster.I like most Patriots fans am hoping for him to get one last shot at the Brass Ring,but I hope that if he sees a significant drop off in his play that he does the right thing and retires rather than force BB to trade or outright release him,this time is coming soon!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i don't really know what will happen with appleby, but i think that the fact that ruud got released today means that he is the current developmental prospect at the position (mckenzie will clearly start camp with a leg up on him just because of his draft status). but as we saw last year, if he shows something in camp he will have an opportunity to play. but clearly they think he has more to bring to the tabe than ruud, which means between he and mckenzie we have 2 extra layers of talent at the position than we did last year. however, i think that the team has very high hopes for guyton at the position, and i wouldnt be surprised to see him playing a much higher percentage of snaps by midseason that bruschi. mckenzie will start out as special teams only and will hopefully start to see some snaps with the regular defense by the end of the season. i think he will need next off season to work on his body and add size, along with learning the system, similar to what guyton is doing now. i think that guyton is going to be a major contributer at the position this year. the speed that he and mayo bring to the middle of our defense is something i don't think we have seen from the pats in a long time, maybe ever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Memo to late round rookies and FA's: 

If you get a little boo-boo....man up and play anyway.

Ruud, just like Oscar Lua a couple years back....couldn't get on the field and therefore was released.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

BB is just getting more options in here.

I knew Ruud was gone anyway,but Appleby is a nice pickup like Guyton was.

The kid is big for an ILB like Phipher and Ted Johnson. Which I like.

He has the size and speed to be an outside/inside flex player like Phipher, Vrabel and Adalius which is great, and BB loves those guys. I think that is how good his upside is for an undrafted player.

I liked McKenzie better coming in because I think he is a starting ILB in the NFL. He can do so many things well and is a signal caller. That is tremendous.

There are potentially roles for all of these guys. But three or four ILBs (discounting the thrid stringers) isn't anthing wierd. Ne has usually kept that many or more on the roster. And traditionally they have used three.

It is good to keep a few guys who do different things well. I liked Appleby as a prospect before the season. And I think it is an awesome pickup.

Hopefully between Guyton and those two they can find one starter and a couple sub-package players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I like Mckenzie on as ILB but has the ability to play out unlike Appleby.  If and for now a big IF Appleby develops nicely I can see McKenzie kicking out to the outside and Appleby take that ILB.  A 6'4" 250lb thumper next to Mayo that's a receipy for success.  He's not slow either for his size so can drop to cover TEs.

I like both the pickup and the release of Ruud.  Get players that will play.

Sections
Shortcuts