Any chance getting Josh Gordon or Phil Taylor

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Any chance getting Josh Gordon or Phil Taylor

I can see the Pats tradiing for Taylor, but I don't see the Browns wanting Mallett. Clearly, they want to draft a franchise QB next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Okay Muzz I can buy that somewhat. assuming Lombardi would trade, what would you think bb would give? A 1st? I would be prepared to give a 1st Given his production and what might be available in the draft next year. I still however don't know why Lombardi would trade him given the rebuilding effort and Taylor being a key piece....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Okay Muzz I can buy that somewhat. assuming Lombardi would trade, what would you think bb would give? A 1st? I would be prepared to give a 1st Given his production and what might be available in the draft next year. I still however don't know why Lombardi would trade him given the rebuilding effort and Taylor being a key piece....

Well, they wouldn't give him away, that's for sure. But clearly Lombardi is not tied to the players he inherited from the prior regime and would seem to be prepared to deal. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Josh Gordon no way, he is playing on his rookie contract for peanuts, no reason to trade away a piece for the future like Lifer says above.  

Phil Taylor I'd love to have, but the Browns have one nose tackle behind him with only 2 years experience, they'll either franchise tag him or try to extend him, it's not as though he's been bad.  

Also why sign him if we can wait until he walks and negotiate with him then, assuming he just doesn't want to be in Cleveland, but even then he will probably be out of our price range with Vince on the books already.

The Browns aren't having a fire sale anyhow, they made one smart trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

It's worth a try picking up someone that would help us, DB or DE.

I don't think they would want mallet since the Browns will get a shot at Teddy Bridgewater, Tajh Boyd, Marcus Mariota or Johnny Manziel. Maybe they want Spikes (AND, we'll throw in Mallet for "free").

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Brady2Welker47

I wouldn't call it a fire sale...but they have giving up on 2013 with that trade

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

hasnt anyone been watching? Taylor will want to be paid for future potential production. BB doesnt pay for that type of player unless they are current Pats.

Well then what? Get one off the scrap heap and complain all season about  It?   If we don't get more help for Vince other then Kelly, the poor guy will wear down or break. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Brady2Welker47

Mallet learning curve way ahead of a rookie from college...just my opinion

very funny

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Not happening.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree Eng...but why would Lombardi want to trade a key piece to his rebuilding effort? He must know there is no way the browns do anything significant this year. And, they are primed for 2 frst round selections next where they can get their QB of the future plus another key piece. Seems like Lombardi is in a position of trade strength here, and I don't think bb likes dealing in those situations. It's not like Lombardi is al Davis. 

The only reason I can see is that they are looking to load up on draft picks and do a complete rebuild with the understanding it will be 2-3 years before this up coming draft start to perform up to standards and they don't want to pay Taylor that much during that period

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Josh Gordon no way, he is playing on his rookie contract for peanuts, no reason to trade away a piece for the future like Lifer says above.  

Phil Taylor I'd love to have, but the Browns have one nose tackle behind him with only 2 years experience, they'll either franchise tag him or try to extend him, it's not as though he's been bad.  

Also why sign him if we can wait until he walks and negotiate with him then, assuming he just doesn't want to be in Cleveland, but even then he will probably be out of our price range with Vince on the books already.

The Browns aren't having a fire sale anyhow, they made one smart trade.

The one thing is it helps the team this year to do it. Right now there is no one behind Wilfork and you can't ride him all year this hard, he'll break down. So if you can make a move this year with the intention of retention of the player why wait for next year, unless you value the pick more than you feel that player will help this year.

As for the Browns, they might like that 2 yr player as a building structure. You have to figure if they are loading up for the upcoming draft and the following draft you are looking at 2-4 years before those picks become top end starters. In 2-4 years Taylor might walk for a contract so unless you are convinced you can resign him it's better to get the pick now and start the rebuild process than to potentially lose him for nothing during the rebuild.

Not saying it is going to happen but both sides would have reasons for the trade this year.

Sections
Shortcuts