Any News on Armond Amstead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fravitch. Show fravitch's posts

Any News on Armond Amstead

Given the Pats needs on the Defensive Line I am wondering if there has been any news on Armond Amstead. He has been on the NFI list, so needs to be activated by week 11 if the Pats are going to use him. Has anyone heard if he still recovering from the surgery for the infection? He is a big guy the Pats could us up front if he is healthy and the Pats think he can learn the defense well enough to contribute this year. Just curious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Re: Any News on Armond Amstead

Reiss gave that a "no" maybe if I'm not mistaken...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Not much out there but I did find this from Chat with Mike Reiss,

Pete NYC [via mobile]

I've been waiting since march to hear something on armond armstead can we expect to see him make his debut in practice after this week or is this disclosed surgery for an illness going to keep him out this year?

Mike   (11:04 AM)

Pete, he has two more weeks to start practicing before we can close the book on him playing this year. So if he isn't on the practice field by the time the Patriots are preparing for the Broncos, then we'll know he is out of the mix.

Mike   (11:07 AM)

A quick Armstead story: He has been in the locker room a little bit more in recent weeks at the time reporters are present. I was walking in and sort of taking stock of the scene when he reached his hand out and said, "Hey Mike, how's it going?" I was surprised, in part because we've really only talked once or twice. I took that brief encounter as one that reflected a player who pays attention to details. The Patriots school their players on this stuff, and he seems like a sharp kid.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49357/patriots-with-mike-reiss

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I'm beginning to think no one exists named Armond Armstead.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

We won't see him this season.  Waste.  Could have brought someone else in instead of him.  There was a reason he was in the CFL and no the NFL.  Stop trying to be smarter then everyone else.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We won't see him this season.  Waste.  Could have brought someone else in instead of him.  There was a reason he was in the CFL and no the NFL.  Stop trying to be smarter then everyone else.

[/QUOTE]

There was a reason...it was his heart.  Apparently, it is totally unrelated to why he has been sidelined, up to this point.  I don't see how this has been a waste.  It could still work out very nicely for the Patriots.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't see Armstead as a waste or mistake, unless Belichick was really depending on him to play. He came cheap, so he's not a big hit on the cap and, since he's on the NFI list, he's not taking away anyone's roster spot.  At this point, if he ends up being able to play, he'll be a boost to a depleted line.  If he can't play, it's no big loss. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the other problem regarding Armstead - beside the injuries - is that we have no idea if he can play...and it's not like you'd be dumping him into the second half of a preseason game to get his feet wet, this is the real deal now. I can't picture it happening, but we are desperate for defensive line help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

...Stop trying to be smarter then everyone else.

[/QUOTE]

In other words, stop pretending to be something you're not, right Rico?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see Armstead as a waste or mistake, unless Belichick was really depending on him to play. He came cheap, so he's not a big hit on the cap and, since he's on the NFI list, he's not taking away anyone's roster spot.  At this point, if he ends up being able to play, he'll be a boost to a depleted line.  If he can't play, it's no big loss. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with the exception that if, like many on this board, they thought he was an extra draft pick and didn't make an extra move to add depth to the line because of him or decided not to draft a DT in a very heavy DT draft then I do think it did hurt them. It's hard to believe though, that they would go into it both the offseason and draft believing that he's an answer but so many around here most certainly did so maybe they did.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with the exception that if, like many on this board, they thought he was an extra draft pick and didn't make an extra move to add depth to the line because of him or decided not to draft a DT in a very heavy DT draft then I do think it did hurt them. It's hard to believe though, that they would go into it both the offseason and draft believing that he's an answer but so many around here most certainly did so maybe they did.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why they shouldn't have thought he was an "answer"?  He was a player who had potential like any college player, except he also had a year of playing professionally in Canada to bolster his case as a guy who could help.  I don't think anybody thought he was Reggie White, but how is it unreasonable for them to think he could contribute? Just like they would with any first year player acquired in the draft.

It hurt them because he got infected, an impossible thing to predict or plan for. Had he been a draft pick and gotten infected, it would be no different. Stuff happens that can't possibly be accounted for.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True, but I suspect the Pats weren't counting on an unproven player to necessarily be a big contributor in his first NFL season.  I'm sure they figured there was some probability (and probably a fairly high one) that he wouldn't work out, given that he had never played in the NFL before.  I'm sure they envisioned Kelly and Wilfork as being the two guys with the highest probability of contributing and then all the other guys as players who would compete for the third and fourth spots, without assuming any one of them in particular would work out.  Now, the presence of Armstead may indeed have meant the Pats didn't worry too much about picking a late round DT for depth.  But they got that late round depth in Jones and Verrano a different way.  His presence probably did affect their decisions about depth during the draft and prior to camp, but once it was clear he was doubtful for health reasons in the preseason, I'm sure they constructed their final roster knowing there was a very high probability he might not contribute at all. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

BB is saying it is unlikely that Armstead will suit up this year.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/11/bill_belichick_says_armond_arm.html

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/11/bill_belichick_doesnt_sound_optimistic_about_armond_armsteads

"During a conference call Monday, Belichick said that it “looks less likely now with each day that goes by” that Armstead returns and noted that the defensive tackle is running out of time."

Unfortunately the anticipation will probably not work out , kind of like waiting for Ballard.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Now, the presence of Armstead may indeed have meant the Pats didn't worry too much about picking a late round DT for depth.  But they got that late round depth in Jones and Verrano a different way.  His presence probably did affect their decisions about depth during the draft and prior to camp, but once it was clear he was doubtful for health reasons in the preseason, I'm sure they constructed their final roster knowing there was a very high probability he might not contribute at all. 

[/QUOTE]

This I agree with. I do think having Armstead might have made them decide not to go DT in the draft which only time will tell if that was the right move but coming from a personal perspective I would have liked to see them double dip early and hedge their bets. In this case I think they put to much faith into a CFL guy that other teams didn't really much a push for and it could still pay off but the only thing I would hesistate about is we wouldn't even be talking about it if they had a bit more depth but to go into a season. Basically it was your starters and no one behind them I think is more of the issue than signing Armstead himself. To me Armstead was a no risk signing unless they were counting on him to contribute right away, considering the lack of depth I do wonder if that's what they were expecting and after he went down they just ran with what they had.

Sections
Shortcuts