Any realistic trade options out there? Who would you target?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Any realistic trade options out there? Who would you target?

In my opinion these guys are all possibilities and Pats should stongly consider them. lots of two guys on same team combo's from clubs with no shot of contending this year. 2nd/3rd rd picks should def be in play for these players.

Phillip Taylor

Linval Joseph

Hakeem Nicks

Paul Posluszny

Tyson Alualu

Lawrence Timmons

Chad Greenway

Kevin Williams

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Any realistic trade options out there? Who would you target?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports "at least three teams" have contacted the Browns regarding a trade for Josh Gordon.

Per Schefter, two clubs have standing offers of a "high pick and a player." It's unclear if Schefter means one team has offered the high pick and the other has offered the player, or if both organizations have offered a high pick and a player each. For now, the Browns are "balking" at trade offers for arguably their best player. If Cleveland continues to lose games with Brandon Weeden under center, it may have to consider a deal for Gordon. The trade deadline is eight days away. Gordon will be a hot name for the next week.     If he get's traded I think Pats should go hard at Phil Taylor, and transform the D into a 3-4... 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

I'm expecting Bill to bring in a new receiver.  There is this one guy who used to play in the CFL on the BC lions 4 or 5 years ago.  He looked pretty good back then.  But a couple years ago he was in a skiing accident, got frostbite on his hands and lost 2 fingers on his left hand and 3 fingers on his right hand.  He used to play safety but Bill thinks he can bring him in and convert him to receiver.  Yay buddy!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

I would take Kenny Britt on a one year rental for a low RD pick.  A MLB with some speed would be nice though. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm expecting Bill to bring in a new receiver.  There is this one guy who used to play in the CFL on the BC lions 4 or 5 years ago.  He looked pretty good back then.  But a couple years ago he was in a skiing accident, got frostbite on his hands and lost 2 fingers on his left hand and 3 fingers on his right hand.  He used to play safety but Bill thinks he can bring him in and convert him to receiver.  Yay buddy!!

[/QUOTE]

Time to let it go.  It'll be all right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rico is a Jets troll

I too would trade a 5th or 6th for Kenny Britt if Amendola doesn't show up healthy by the deadline

???

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sadly, I expect the Pats too do nothing by the deadline.  Maybe I'll be surprised, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.  I won't speculate on players like Hakeem Nicks, it will only depress me when it doesn't happen.

[/QUOTE]

things could be so much worse.  I hear you about disappointment tho.  Haven't watched the red sox since the buckner let the ball go between his legs...lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports "at least three teams" have contacted the Browns regarding a trade for Josh Gordon.

Per Schefter, two clubs have standing offers of a "high pick and a player." It's unclear if Schefter means one team has offered the high pick and the other has offered the player, or if both organizations have offered a high pick and a player each. For now, the Browns are "balking" at trade offers for arguably their best player. If Cleveland continues to lose games with Brandon Weeden under center, it may have to consider a deal for Gordon. The trade deadline is eight days away. Gordon will be a hot name for the next week.     If he get's traded I think Pats should go hard at Phil Taylor, and transform the D into a 3-4... [/QUOTE]

I'd happily give our 1st for Taylor. Now with Wilforks injury it's more critical then ever to get a good NT to eventually take over for Wilfork. The Browns won't pay Taylor to retain him, the Pats can with a little bit of creative cap work. The thing is how this DL is shaping up they will have to draft a DT next year or go into the open market to get one. Looking at the draft there are a couple of DT's I like but none the capabilities of Taylor so it's comes down to dollar cost again. A pick adn the price to resign Taylor might be too much for BB (though for a DL anchor imo it's worth the cost) so I can't see BB doing it. But, Taylor this year and next year with Wilfork together would be a dream come true

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agree with the Phil Taylor trade though it isn't likely to happen, how many years left do Kelly and Vince have?  

But at the end of the day you'd rather fill that spot with a rookie contract where you can get first round production for peanuts instead of another high priced free agent.  We have to wait for Kelly to come back and where the heck is Armstead, we could sure use him in place of Vellano?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Per Schefter, two clubs have standing offers of a "high pick and a player." It's unclear if Schefter means one team has offered the high pick and the other has offered the player, or if both organizations have offered a high pick and a player each. For now, the Browns are "balking" at trade offers for arguably their best player. If Cleveland continues to lose games with Brandon Weeden under center, it may have to consider a deal for Gordon. The trade deadline is eight days away. Gordon will be a hot name for the next week.     If he get's traded I think Pats should go hard at Phil Taylor, and transform the D into a 3-4... [/QUOTE]

I'd happily give our 1st for Taylor. Now with Wilforks injury it's more critical then ever to get a good NT to eventually take over for Wilfork. The Browns won't pay Taylor to retain him, the Pats can with a little bit of creative cap work. The thing is how this DL is shaping up they will have to draft a DT next year or go into the open market to get one. Looking at the draft there are a couple of DT's I like but none the capabilities of Taylor so it's comes down to dollar cost again. A pick adn the price to resign Taylor might be too much for BB (though for a DL anchor imo it's worth the cost) so I can't see BB doing it. But, Taylor this year and next year with Wilfork together would be a dream come true

[/QUOTE]

I get what your saying...but,

1. Taylor is an important building block for Lombardi ...why trade him? Money? 

2. If the pats get creative with the cap to pay taylor and Vince we can kiss Talib good bye. I would rather pay for Talib and draft the best DT we can

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Haven't watched the red sox since the buckner let the ball go between his legs...lol

[/QUOTE]

Too bad that you missed out on 2 world series championships in 04 & 07.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

please, before opining on trades, please check the cap predicament this team is in...

Also, lets face it, BB has attracted a lot of criticism as a GM here on the board, but when was the last time he made a dumb trade? Trading a high draft choice for 8 games of Nicks is dumb. Ditto Britt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2. If the pats get creative with the cap to pay taylor and Vince we can kiss Talib good bye. I would rather pay for Talib and draft the best DT we can

[/QUOTE]

Clev has a couple younger DT's that they have under control for a couple more years and with a 1st they can grab another so the one thing the Browns don't do is pay olayers coming up on deals. The other thing to think about is they are about to go through a rebuild with a new QB and need to build some positions up. It doesn't make much sense to pay top dollar for a DT when you have ready replacements and you are about to go into a rebuild. That money could be better used somewhere else. Not to mention the Browns want ammo to move up and grab the top QB in the draft. Having that extra 1st makes sense in that means. Not saying they would but that does give motivation to move forward without Taylor.

As for the cap hit. I think they do have room for Taylor, Vince, and Talib. One thing to note is the vast majority of Wilforks contract next year is base salary. Provided an extension you could easily turn that base into bonus and extend over 3-4 years along with extra money to make Vince want to sign, think what they did with Brady. That could free up 6mil in room give or take. With creative salary workings you could minimize the cap hit for both Taylor and Talib going into the next year where in the following year (provided you stop making dumb dead space signings) you would have over $8mil coming off the books in dead cap space and the cap is raising (est by $15mil last I heard). That gives you wiggle room to fit both. Then you cut some players (A. Wilson, Gregory as examples) to give room to fit the rooks in. I'd even take a hard look at a Mankins restructure if possible. But they have some room, not a ton but some room to fit both guys in.

The other thing to look at is I hear you that Talib is very important to the secondary but I always feel D starts in the trenches and a great pass rush can make up for weaker secondary but not the other way around. So if I had to put a priority list together given Talib hasn't made it through a full season and has hip issues already I might but a bigger emphizes on a long term anchor on the DL over a CB who might have injury issues long term moving forward, but that's just personal preference.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Clev has a couple younger DT's that they have under control for a couple more years and with a 1st they can grab another so the one thing the Browns don't do is pay olayers coming up on deals. The other thing to think about is they are about to go through a rebuild with a new QB and need to build some positions up. It doesn't make much sense to pay top dollar for a DT when you have ready replacements and you are about to go into a rebuild. That money could be better used somewhere else. Not to mention the Browns want ammo to move up and grab the top QB in the draft. Having that extra 1st makes sense in that means. Not saying they would but that does give motivation to move forward without Taylor.

As for the cap hit. I think they do have room for Taylor, Vince, and Talib. One thing to note is the vast majority of Wilforks contract next year is base salary. Provided an extension you could easily turn that base into bonus and extend over 3-4 years along with extra money to make Vince want to sign, think what they did with Brady. That could free up 6mil in room give or take. With creative salary workings you could minimize the cap hit for both Taylor and Talib going into the next year where in the following year (provided you stop making dumb dead space signings) you would have over $8mil coming off the books in dead cap space and the cap is raising (est by $15mil last I heard). That gives you wiggle room to fit both. Then you cut some players (A. Wilson, Gregory as examples) to give room to fit the rooks in. I'd even take a hard look at a Mankins restructure if possible. But they have some room, not a ton but some room to fit both guys in.

The other thing to look at is I hear you that Talib is very important to the secondary but I always feel D starts in the trenches and a great pass rush can make up for weaker secondary but not the other way around. So if I had to put a priority list together given Talib hasn't made it through a full season and has hip issues already I might but a bigger emphizes on a long term anchor on the DL over a CB who might have injury issues long term moving forward, but that's just personal preference.

[/QUOTE]

I think Talibs number will depend on his health. If he gets back on the field, and stays on the field, he is making himself a lot of money. Ditto McCourty, making himself a lot of money. Vince is on the books next year at $11.6M for his 32nd year age. Extending him into his 35th or 36th year seems very un-BBish. Taylor is signed thru next year, and will then look for a big contract. I simply don't see BB offering a #1 for 1.5 years of Taylor AND then signing him to top $$$.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

???

[/QUOTE]

What ???  This doesn't sound like a Bill Belichick signing?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

What player on the Pats would be of interest to another team in a trade and who the Pats are willing to give up?  Many here talk about the Pats being a young team to build for the future and I see so many posters here call for trades to satisfy the present and not the future.  What do you want?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

An cerebral position is a no.

QB, WR, TE, MLB.

It's not an easy system to master.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why trade for anyone?

There are plenty of terrible football players out there that weren't drafted that the Pats can have for free.

Oh, wait.  Is that only a solution for the summer?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

First. No draft picks for one year rentals...unless the Pats think they can pay them long term.

Cleveland smartly realizes they will keep building and pushing back the date to 'peak' as a team until they get a franchise QB. Every team should realize this because it is rare for teams now to go anywhere with non-elite QB's. In this mode they might be willing to trade players that will be coming off contracts, older players and expensive players for draft picks. Gordon and Taylor are certainly possible. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Gordon will do fine. Try to add some defensive depth if possible. Like that kid Gordon what the browns want and tne pats offer is another story.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Don't think any AFC team is going to help Pats out.  Look in NFC folks....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't think any AFC team is going to help Pats out.  Look in NFC folks....

[/QUOTE]

true..unless they have given up on this year and are looking to next,

Sections
Shortcuts