Any realistic trade options out there? Who would you target?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Any realistic trade options out there? Who would you target?

If they trade for a receiver, who goes? Boyce, Slater? Do they go with seven? I don't see that happening. I'd drop Slater, but he has photos or something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

If Carter has gas in the tank and assuming Siliga can clog up the middle on running downs and preserve Chris Jones  (who played a good game and is a good 1rst down and passing down NT). I tihnk they have shored up the defensive line wihout too much expense. 

If they were going to get one impact player...a LB with good lateral range might be good.

How about Brandon Graham from Philly as an OLB?, they need a backup RB for Lesean McCoy and the Patriots are  not bad in that dept but which one would the Pats part ways with? or maybe a Draft pick that can be used by Philly ot shore up there needs. He is supposed to be explosive but they are kind of dow on him there.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/10/17/4848122/will-the-eagles-be-involved-in-a-trade-deadline-deal

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

if i had to take anyone on that list i would take Timmons or Posloszny. we need a cover LB more than anything else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

if i had to take anyone on that list i would take Timmons or Posloszny. we need a cover LB more than anything else.

and with good range.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

ya, having a 270 lb LB on a 30 yd sprint cover is not going to do it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

and with good range.

true and runs faster than a 5.0 40

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

You can't just pick names that you think they should be available because their teams are out of it. There's this pesky salary cap thing.

Case in point, Posluszny and Timmons have untradeable contracts. Besides, Pittsburgh is going to help the Patriots? In what universe does that happen?

Think a London Fletcher maybe, if Wash were to give up.  Problem is with two wins they're contenders in that division.

There really isn't much out there to trade for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

Hard to say but since they are going nowhere yet again, and no real end in sight in the next few years, I'd give Arizona a call and see what it would take to pry Patrick Peterson away. Another shutdow corner to pair with Talib would be pretty sweet. He's still on his rookie deal as well for the next couple years. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to AFNAV130's comment:

Hard to say but since they are going nowhere yet again, and no real end in sight in the next few years, I'd give Arizona a call and see what it would take to pry Patrick Peterson away. Another shutdow corner to pair with Talib would be pretty sweet. He's still on his rookie deal as well for the next couple years. 

You can't do that.  Cap is flat through next season and he will command 10-14 million per in 2015.

Ain't happening here.

Not true from what I can see.  His cap number is a pro rated 5 and then 5.9 next year.  I'm sure some massaging could be done with an extension or whatnot. Anything is possible when you are at that number. 

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Patrick%20Peterson&Position=CB&Team=Cardinals

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

....Slightly disagree about the trade volume. It really depends on which teams see themselves as playoff contenders and who doesn't.

The cap remains flat next year, so it will create an even larger trade deadline bulge and flat FA market this offseason.

Basically, if you have a ton of cap space after this season, you're in trouble because of the soft market.

It should play into the hands of GMs who have already built the base of their teams with any player over the age of 30, with an expiring deal this year or next, as available.

There will be some players available, but as you said they have to be expiring contracts or low 2014 cap hits on teams that are out of it or that have expendable depth. That really limits the volume. London Fletcher would be a possibility, because this is his last year and his team stinks. But at 2-4 they're one game out in the loss column, so they probably aren't going to deal him.

Findng a guy with the right contract at the right position on one of the few teams willing to deal, there just won't be much action. I'd guess maybe four total trades league wide by the deadline. Last year there were two (including Talib to the Pats), so I'm being optimistic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

There is zero chance that Arizona trades their best player (yes, better than Fitz). Trade him for what, a pick at the end of the first round? What are you smoking? By the way, at 3-4 they're one game out of the playoffs if the season ended today.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

The rare case where a teams draft picks developed faster than they thought and they have an abundance at one postion and a severe deficiency at another. 

In this case even a contender might make a trade. 

I consider the PAts to have good overall depth at running back but they are using all their depth due to injury. Anyone feel comfortable trading a RB?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

We need to carry over all the cap space we currently have into next season if we are going to resign Talib because the combination of that jack off Hernandez's dead money and the increased cap hits for all of our highest paid players will put us pretty close to the cap with who we already have under contract if it stays flat.  It is highly unlikely we are trading for anyone that has a large cap hit this season or will be a FA next season imo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

The rare case where a teams draft picks developed faster than they thought and they have an abundance at one postion and a severe deficiency at another. 

I consider the PAts to have good overall depth at running back but they are using all their depth due to injury. Anyone feel comfortable trading a RB?

blount? sure. yes

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Yes, Blount to anybody who asks. For a bag of footballs, box of tape and a plane ticket.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Yes, Blount to anybody who asks. For a bag of footballs, box of tape and a plane ticket.

lol yesss!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

There is zero chance that Arizona trades their best player (yes, better than Fitz). Trade him for what, a pick at the end of the first round? What are you smoking? By the way, at 3-4 they're one game out of the playoffs if the season ended today.

I'm here in AZ. They are both as good to the team offensively and defensively.  Things are not good for them, as they have the Seahawks and the Falcons coming up. They have no quarterback.  They will be mired in la la land just high enough to compete, but never low enough to get a top QB. Plus he'll be pricing his way out. Trust me, I watch the local sports shows and Carson is not doing them any favors. How they are currently constituted they wony be able to compete in the NFC West. And the season doesn't end today, and they will be 8-8 or 9-7 by the end of the year. So smoking? Maybe, but it never hurts asking.  Fitzs cap hit is prohibitive but Petersons isn't. They'd be better off long term shedding some to rebuild. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

We need to carry over all the cap space we currently have into next season if we are going to resign Talib because the combination of that jack off Hernandez's dead money and the increased cap hits for all of our highest paid players will put us pretty close to the cap with who we already have under contract if it stays flat.  It is highly unlikely we are trading for anyone that has a large cap hit this season or will be a FA next season imo.

True I don't think we'd trade for someone with a high cap hit next year but resigning Talib might not be a priority with his nagging injures and if he demands too high of a contract. Heck his market might not be there next year either. It wasn't this past offseason as his off the field issues will scare some teams away and his injury his will scare others away. We might be overvaluing what Talib can get in the open market. But, for the last point if the Pats can get an expiring contract and they feel that the player gives them a shot at the SB this year I can see them doing it. Looking at the current roster projection and cap hits next year they can free up to ~18mil with extensions, cuts, and reworks. Of course this is worst case but realistically I see them freeing up  ~12mil. Take off 5mil for the rooks 2-3mil for inseason adjustments and you might be looking at around 5-6mil or so to play with (if they don't carry what they have forward). That's enough to resign Talib and a couple other fringe starter quality guys or 1 quality starter. Given how many people they currently have signed add in the draft picks that seems to fit well to fill up the 53man so it's not out of the realm of possibility to spend some of the current cap space now for help this year and still have ways to get enough funds next year to retain Talib and a couple other additions

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

1.  Phil Taylor

2.  Patrick Peterson---he moves to #1 if it is even remotely possible that they would trade him.

3.  Britt--he should come the cheapest

4.  Graham--another one that should come cheap

5.  One of the Williams from the Vikes

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

A couple names I wouldn't mind taking a look at is either Cullen Jenkins or Shaun Rogers from the Giants. Rogers is a very low cost option that most likely won't be back next year for the Giants and could be a bigger body run stopper for maybe a 7th round pick or 6th at most. Jenkins is a little more at 3 for 8 but only 3 was guaranteed and most of that the Giants already paid for so he's one you could keep next year as another vet type of player or dump with almost no downside. He'd most likely cost a 6th or 5th at most. Both would help the DL a lot this year and hardly effect the cap situation moving forward. I would take a hard look at either right now as I think both would be quality upgrades over what we currently have or at the very minimum upgrade or run defense on early downs

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Didn't Rusty tell us that Belichick was brilliant because the Pats are going to trade for Tony Gonzalez?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So Poz is too expensive?

Phil Taylor and Josh Gordon for Mallett, Boyce and a #1 would be incredible

No GMen are going to be available?

if the only thing this team does is trade a late pick for London Fletcher and give Jay Ratliff a shot if he passes a physical it would still be more than most of us here expect.

Sections
Shortcuts