Any thoughts about Moss...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: Any thoughts about Moss...

In Response to Re: Any thoughts about Moss...:
    In Response to Re: Any thoughts about Moss... : Not using Ben Watson AT ALL is killing them as well.
    Posted by SoxinBoston

True, though I don't know how much I attribute that to bad play calling or inconsistent playing by Watson.  Probably a bit of both, I was high on Watson earlier in the year but he sure has disappeared the past several weeks. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Guys,
    From all the analyzation, its very clear that Moss aint no Andre Johnson, or Brandon Marshall. Those guys are built like a TE weighing close to 240 where as Moss is 210 or so. You cannot expect him to be physical and tackle the CB/Safety. That's why he rarely breaks tackles like the other two WR I mentioned. He is best at running deep and out jumping the defenders. That part has been terrible this year. If you look at 07 tapes, he was almost a foot higher than any CB during leaping catches. This year the gap has been closed to a few inches. Is age catching on him? Perhaps. I also feel that TB does not have the zip to get the ball quickly to him. So he ends up under throwing and getting picked.
    Moss is not going to get physical at this stage of the game. he would hurt himself badly if he tried and we would probably lose him for good!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

He is still leading the league in receiving yards despite having to face Revis twice. He might not be what he used to be, but he is still pretty darn good. On the side note, the INT in the red zone was mostly Brady's fault. He should have thrown the ball to Moss's outside shoulder, but instead he threw it the wrong shoulder which gives the DB the chance to break it or intercept it. I am not sure why he got alot of heat on that.

The play that some of you mentioned, the one that it just seem like he run out of bound without giving a try. Did you guys see the replay on that, the ball was not just overthrown but was way out of bound. He did what he could to push the CB so they can't make a play on it. He is so good at knowing where the ball will land (unique skill in tracking down deep balls), it sometimes look as he doesn't try cuz he knows he won't get there. He doesn't have wasted effort, which is why BB called him the smartest WR around. You sort of need to conserve your energy when you are running deep most of the game.

The only play I blame on him is the block that should result in first down on Kevin Faulk. Trying hard or not, you can't really tell from watching unless you are playing against him. He has always had very deceptive speed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

He's gotta fight for the ball . Should never let anyone pick the ball in the endzone.Take a penalty,knock the  guy out a bounds, tackle him do something. I think Brady has 10 picks -6 came Randy's way3-4 he could've broken up. For some reason he's not physcial. BB / Brady better start getting on his case.Wes Welker doesn't have Randy's size,speed or skills but he's a better reciver  in my opinon.With out Welker - well I don't want to think about that ,he might be the team's MVP.....ANY THOUGHT'S?
    Posted by dwhite1220
    i saw that also.he could have easily knocked that ball away.sure he is a great receiver,but if it dosent land in his hands,he will not fight for it,or try to keep a defender from getting it.but it still dosent mean he is finished or washed up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

so the guy missed one block and that means "he's packing it in" this is ridiculous!!! in moss' tenure with new england he has caught more TDs then any other receiver in the NFL... the guy gets triple effin teamed!! he has 1000 yards plus on the season and 9 TDs... nobody has the stamina to be running deep routes consistently for 60 minutes... he cant get shorter routes because by going deep he's taking the coverage with him and he can get the seperation he needs... also if yall haven't noticed the O-Line play hasn't been the same with seabass out... i mean do yall really think BB would allow him on his team if he didn't understand the intracacies of his game??... everybody talking bout he's never been trough tough times in NE remember last year??? the QB that threw him 23 TDS was injured and he still came up big... its always the same B.S "he takes plays off, he gives up" its getting real old someone with a 140 plus TDs for his carreer is not a quitter in my eyes.... his contract is up after this year so i hope he leaves N.E and maybe reche caldwell will come back and make everyone happy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

He is still leading the league in receiving yards despite having to face Revis twice. He might not be what he used to be, but he is still pretty darn good. On the side note, the INT in the red zone was mostly Brady's fault. He should have thrown the ball to Moss's outside shoulder, but instead he threw it the wrong shoulder which gives the DB the chance to break it or intercept it. I am not sure why he got alot of heat on that. The play that some of you mentioned, the one that it just seem like he run out of bound without giving a try. Did you guys see the replay on that, the ball was not just overthrown but was way out of bound. He did what he could to push the CB so they can't make a play on it. He is so good at knowing where the ball will land (unique skill in tracking down deep balls), it sometimes look as he doesn't try cuz he knows he won't get there. He doesn't have wasted effort, which is why BB called him the smartest WR around. You sort of need to conserve your energy when you are running deep most of the game. The only play I blame on him is the block that should result in first down on Kevin Faulk. Trying hard or not, you can't really tell from watching unless you are playing against him. He has always had very deceptive speed.
    Posted by pochen23

THANK YOU SOMEONE WITH SENSE AND UNDERSTANDING

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

HERE'S BRADY'S TAKE...

"He [Moss] definitely wants to be a part of the game," Brady said regarding his talented wide receiver. "Sometimes it’s easier to get the ball to him than others, and when they really focus on him, it’s hard, you don’t want to really fire the ball into double coverage all the time, especially when you have someone like Wes, who is able to work the inside part of the field which he did a great job of yesterday, and Aik made some really good plays. Even on the touchdown play to Aik, if you see it, it’s man-to-man coverage but the safety is on Randy, he’s basically standing over Randy, so we’re not going to throw him the ball, you just don’t have much of an opportunity to complete the ball, so when Randy gets his opportunities he makes the plays and other times, they do a good job of focusing on him and I told him we’ve got to get the balls to other guys.”

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Blame Moss for a pass Brady shouldn't have thrown yesterday which is 4 in the last 2 games? A FG alone would have made it a touchdown game let alone the the idiotic  Belichick move choosing not to take 3 points before halftime. There is plenty of blame to go around. Moss has played better than Brady has considering he's missed him at least 5 times for TD's this year let alone another 3-4 to various other recievers this year. Nobody should get a free pass. They are all underacheiving.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Blame Moss for a pass Brady shouldn't have thrown yesterday which is 4 in the last 2 games? A FG alone would have made it a touchdown game let alone the the idiotic  Belichick move choosing not to take 3 points before halftime. There is plenty of blame to go around. Moss has played better than Brady has considering he's missed him at least 5 times for TD's this year let alone another 3-4 to various other recievers this year. Nobody should get a free pass. They are all underacheiving.
    Posted by tompenny

Well said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NotOver. Show NotOver's posts

Moss isn't the problem.   where's Watson?  Why'd we think we could get rid of so many guys and wind up ok?  I would take Gaffney right now.  Heath Evans out of the backfield, or to power for that yard.
    yeah, O line .  need more guys like Vollmer. 
    No more end zone piks please. period.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

We need Watson and Baker in to help block a three man rush! What a JOKE,seven guys can't protect Brady.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Randy Moss is the second best receiver I've ever seen ( Lance Alworth ).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I remember him having some sort of back injury, early in the season, and since that point, I haven't seen him out jump a defender for the ball.

He seems fine running straight, but he seems reluctant to go up for the ball in jump ball situations. This is leading to INTs, where before it lead to spetacular plays. Maybe the back is a lingering issue, he's not admiting?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I just read through all the posts on this and I don't think anyone is saying he s*cks. He's a HOF receiver that we're lucky to have and draws double maybe triple coverage sometimes so a third receiver is a big problem. 
    If we had a Gaffney, Caldwell or even an Edelman (sp) right now it may be a different story for the passing game. 
    We also have some problems with the O-Line. I've seen Maroney getting slammed for not being able to get positive yardage and the O-Line not even being mentioned. We look the other way and call it a pass first offense so we'll use the running game to "just keep them honest". Now TB isn't getting the time he needs to let his "two receivers run their routes and the problem is clear.
    As patsfancy points out Mosses efforts today were weak at times. That lack of an attempt to spring Faulk is inexcusable. A simple block would have given him what he needed for an important first. The play in the end zone is on TB but Moss made no effort to help him out whatsoever. He threw it because he had hope that Moss could go up and make a play but all he did was make TB look bad with a lack of effort to break it up.
    jedinate has an interesting point but then why would TB be forcing it into him like that? 
    It's clear that they have some big problems 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

In Response to Re: Any thoughts about Moss... : Not using Ben Watson AT ALL is killing them as well.
    Posted by SoxinBoston

I agree, where are our TEs?  Brady is getting decked every game when we play a good defense, if they are not blocking they should be running a check down route, give us 3 yards instead of an incomplete or a duck ball easily intercepted. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

you guys do realiaze that MOSS is 1st in the league in receiving yardage and second in receiving touchdowns right?, so i know sometimes the defense takes him away but he is still an elite receiver.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

In Response to Any thoughts about Moss...:
    why does he disappear. Any feedback besides "He's double-teamed" would be interesting.
    Posted by touchdownpats

I have mixed feelings on Moss. When he is on he is a beast. The last couple games what stands out to me is his poor blocking. The one play Faulk should have had a firstdown  as he totally gaffed his block. Sometimes the effort isn't there I guess...........just my view thats all

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

With little or no running game Moss remains the top offensive weapon on the team and most opposing defenses want to make him a non-factor. Even Belichick himself would look to take Moss out of the game from a defensive standpoint. No one wants to put their DB in single coverage with Moss because that usually means you get lit up on the deep ball and that means TDs are being scored. Moss and Welker are complementary based on who gets the most coverage..you can't have one without the other. Deep routes take more time to develop than the dink and dunk stuff so Brady needs some extra protection for those plays to happen and he hasn't been getting it as often as he has in the past. Also, when the team is down a TD or two the offense becomes predictable and when that happens you get nickel and dime packages to stop the big play and keep the Pats O to FGs not TDs. All this and Moss is still one of the top receivers in the game; it's unrealistic to think that he'll put '07 numbers when the key to beating the Pat O is to take away his game.

Sections
Shortcuts