Anybody else think this may be the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Anybody else think this may be the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007?

I know it's early, but after the first two preseason games, I'm thinking this is the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007.  At just about every position I see a lot of guys who are young and athletic with tons of potential.  No more old guys.  No more misfits and marginal players cut from other squads.  This looks like a team with lots and lots of upside to me . . . and at least decent quality and diversity at almost every position.  Mostly, it's a team with a lot of youth and a lot of athleticism.  

My favourite group right now is the LBs and all the edge players.  Hightower and Jones both look ready to break out.  And I just love the athleticism of Fletcher, Collins, Bernard, Buchanan, and Beauharnais.  Already we're seeing better pass rush and pass coverage from those guys.  This to me is a huge, huge improvement on defense.  

I love Kelly and Wilfork in the middle.  Worried about depth there, but that's looking like a great starting unit in the middle of the D line.  

It's hard to judge the secondary with McCourty and Dennard out, but gotta like Talib.  And while the young guys are making lots of mistakes, I'm liking the athleticism.  Harmon, I think, is gonna surprise people.  He'll be the fourth safety I think (after McCourty, Gregory, and A. Wilson, in that order)--and may start winning snaps from Gregory by midseason.  Intrigued by Justin Green too . . . . the guy's getting a lot of snaps and while he doesn't look like a great cover corner to me seems to be around the ball and seems to be quite physical.  May end up as the ninth or tenth DB. 

On offense, gotta love the RBs.  Ridley and Vereen really look like a quality NFL backfield.  As much as you gotta like the hardworking Woodheads and BJGEs of the world, those guys are really marginal starters.  Ridley and Vereen, however, bring us the kind of quality we've needed to make the running game a real part of the offense.  The back-ups are all pretty good too.  

And then there are all the new receivers.  Amendola and Brady seem to have the same chemistry as Welker and Brady, but with Amendola being bigger and faster. Then there are young, outside receivers (Dobson, Tompkins, and Boyce), who will add a whole new dimension to our offense that has been missing for years. 

The TEs are good too . . . and once Gronk is back, we'll have a nice unit there with plenty of depth.  With Hern gone, I doubt the passing offense will be quite as TE focused as it was last year, but these guys will block well in the running game and will still have a lot of receptions.  

I doubt Devlin will stick, but it was kind of nice to see a real FB in the offense . . . a guy who not only blocks and catches, but runs hard in short yardage situations . . . 

I've said for years that the Pats have done remarkably well given talent that never seemed quite up to championship quality.  I think now we are turning once again into a really talented, athletic team.  The coaching will be as stellar as ever, and with all the young, athletic football players on the team I think the Pats are in the best shape they've been in since about 2007.  

As Pete Carroll would have said . . . "we're pumped and jacked" about this year . . . 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Re: Anybody else think this may be the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007?

Yep.  Me.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Anybody else think this may be the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007?

My take on this PreSeason Game

I was very encouraged

Brady - well is, Brady - He looks as great as in any season
            He is definitely better than PM
            I heard Cosell on the Herd say that it was the 1st
            time he saw  TB live and his arm is stronger than on tape
            He now sure is as every bit as accurate as Montana - maybe more and
            i am a gigantic Montana fan -
            I ahve always thought that there is a biased to PM and now AR
            amongst the media types - too many that hate the Pats
            but every time i hear some one see Tb in person tahy always swoon
    Mallet  For the very first time I am encouraged by him- after the 1st
            series he showed touch and a strong arm. If someninbg happens to
            TB I will cringe but will be there to root him on with hope
    Tebow-  Should not be in the NFL - Right now J mcDaniels would be the
            seemingly be in line after BB - At least the offense would be
            the same and he has had HC experience - but he drafeted TT
            and tried again here - and tqht is scary

WR's    They have talent
            If Amendola stays healthy - he is better thatn WW.better
            in all ways
            The 3 rookie amigos - Speed, some size and hands - and they
            seem to get the playbook and TB has taken to them -
            They alos block!! exciting!
    RB's    WE can run - and they have a lot of tools -

TE's    Fells, Sudfeld - I feel very good until Gronk gets back
             we may even forget thqt other guy 0 as the teqm alreqdy hqs

Oline-  7 deep and we have the coach to get us to 8 deep

Overall - the potential is great - Maybe take a charge at 2007 talent
    i said b4 that i didn't think this team could aveage 30pts again- now i am not so sure. I think they will blow teams awy with there diversity - and i think with the running game TB may well be MVP  

Defense

The best thing i heard last nite was that we had coverage sacks- loved it
    I notced that they had alot of blitz packages - super

Dline - Wolfork and Kelly - are great - can we get another decent player there???

Dline and Lb's - So many interchangeable parts - strength and speed and some tough guys

DB's - I like them very much - not sure yet on the otehr saftey

i think we may see BB once again out scheme other coaches and qb's

S Teams - Better than average - ever since Gost had the leg injury he has not been the same - maybe he gets it all back this year / Coverage was spotty/ still waitng on returns

Overall

This years schedule is tougher than we have had - The Pats have to play tough too
    but i think i see 12 wins

I think the Talent is as high as we have ever had , but has to be proven with a SB

its going to be a fun ride

<br/>Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Almost without a doubt.

There is so much to be excited about I can't type fast enough to put all down.  You guys pretty much nailed it anyway.

I don't know about the Superbowl but the future is looking pretty bright.

There's obviously alot of players on this team that just love to play football.

Youth, speed and enthusiasm.  Mix that with some veteran experience and leadership and you got a good formula for success.  

I think BB the coach and GM know's a little about what he's doing even if some people here don't think so.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Not sure if they're as good as 07 team but this team has lots of young talent. I think the thing that excites me most about this team is the ability to run the ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Not sure about the top level talent but if you are talking about the entire 53 man roster this team may end up with more depth than the 07 team.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'm particularly excited about the TE grouping myself.

What the fans are seeing now, because they are missing Gronk, isn't likely what they will see down the road.

NE has run 2TE as its base offense for three seasons now, and I don't think that will change. The question of Sudfeld/ Ballard, though answers itself. Sudfeld isn't a tremendous blocker, but Gronk is. When they are healthy, Sudfeld offers you another tall/long target with speed/quickness metrics that make him a matchup problem.

Couple that with the fact that the defense will already be devoting their best Safety/LBer at coverage to containing Gronk, and Sudfeld will see a lot of opportnities against players that just are not suited to be coverting a player with his frame.

He won't be the dynamic RAC threat Hernandez was, but he could (and has) be dominant in the seams like Gronk is. That is a nightmare for defenses.

Total talent is tough to judge. 2007 was the waning year for a lot of older, but HOF caliber defensive players -- while this team defense has more holes/question marks, so it's tough to relate the two to each other. SS is still a question here until someone emerges in camp (or not) to look the part. That 2007 team didn't really have that hole. Harrison was a bit slow, and Hobbs, as always, was a mismatch against anyone taller than 6'1" but they were basically covered without a glaring weakness. There is some talent in the DB crew that hasn't been there in years past now, but a.) it's thin, and b.) SS worries me right now. I want to see more of Harmon, Wilson and Wilson, and will be watching them keenly as camp goes on. 

They had Moss in his prime, and Welker in his prime ... but I don't think the offense was as round. Maroney, BJGE, et al, wouldn't find a roster spot in this stable, nor would Watson or any of the TEs.

One area, though, that up until the injury to Neal in the opening moments of the big game, the interior offensive line was better than it is now. Yes, Kazcur was not nearly as good as Vollmer, but he also wasn't the liability that Connoly has been at RG. Kazcur was just the kind of player who would be overmatched sometimes in pass-pro, while being a good "mauler" type running RT. They've been getting average run blocking and a sub-par pass protection out of RG, and it's evident against defenses with a decent interior rush. 

Neal was criminally underrated as a RG, and was a real difference maker for those 2000s teams. I still don't think they've replaced him adequately, as decent as Svitek has looked. I'm really hoping a healthy Cannon can be the solution. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

OK everything written so far is from an optimistic point of view, and views that I pretty much agree with.  

So let me bring up some concerns...

My concern is if any starting D player goes down there could be trouble.  I am not sold on any safety player to be honest at the moment.  McCourty is solid no doubt... but not an all pro game changer, so I think we should understand what he is to this team.  So who plays SS.  A Wilson may be that guy but after him it's the same old story.  It seems like every other player at that position is lost.  

I am beginning to wonder about T Wilson.. I stayed optimistic about that selection but it seems to becoming more of a head scratcher after all.  

There has been a few to bring up the D line as well... There really is no depth on the interior at the moment outisde of Forston.  I am assuming released players will round out this position as well as the health or Armstead, who is still an unknown.  

As far as starters go though, this maybe the most talented team since 07...  I am just worried about Safety, and dline.  We need McCourty, Jones and Wilfork to stay healthy for this D to florish.  Kelly is the difference maker coming in that really needs to stay healthy as well...  

Maybe I've been thinking about the negative too long, but I would be lying if I can't easily look past some starters and see where this could be.  

Thoughts?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

On defense, yes  offensively?  no, Brady was lights out in 2011 when he won his second MVP. No chance Brady surpasses that season.

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

OK everything written so far is from an optimistic point of view, and views that I pretty much agree with.  

So let me bring up some concerns...

My concern is if any starting D player goes down there could be trouble.  I am not sold on any safety player to be honest at the moment.  McCourty is solid no doubt... but not an all pro game changer, so I think we should understand what he is to this team.  So who plays SS.  A Wilson may be that guy but after him it's the same old story.  It seems like every other player at that position is lost.  

I am beginning to wonder about T Wilson.. I stayed optimistic about that selection but it seems to becoming more of a head scratcher after all.  

There has been a few to bring up the D line as well... There really is no depth on the interior at the moment outisde of Forston.  I am assuming released players will round out this position as well as the health or Armstead, who is still an unknown.  

As far as starters go though, this maybe the most talented team since 07...  I am just worried about Safety, and dline.  We need McCourty, Jones and Wilfork to stay healthy for this D to florish.  Kelly is the difference maker coming in that really needs to stay healthy as well...  

Maybe I've been thinking about the negative too long, but I would be lying if I can't easily look past some starters and see where this could be.  

Thoughts?

That's about it.

Questions at SS (though I think DMC a very good FS) are still really pressing.

Although they have talent up front CB and DT are each an injury away from being major weaknesses.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Not sure about the top level talent but if you are talking about the entire 53 man roster this team may end up with more depth than the 07 team.

Overall roster, and since 2007, but not including 2007, which was an extremely talented team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I understand the concerns with safety, but I think a rotation of Gregory and A. Wilson  is passable next to McCourty.  I also really believe Harmon is going to turn out better than expected.  T. Wilson I'm afraid is just a guy to cover TEs.  Don't think he'll ever play deep effectively.  

Depth in the middle of the D line is a concern, but I expect BB to either strengthen depth there with an aging veteran that is cut late in preseason or use guys likr Francis creatively in the middle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agree Prolate,

The first unit offense, defense and special teams is as good as we've had since the glory years, even the 2nd unit on is rife with talent... the injury bug is the great equalizer, but if we avoid injury this team is dominant.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yes. Our GM really knows his chit.

"Defense Wins Championships"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I know it's early, but after the first two preseason games, I'm thinking this is the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007.  At just about every position I see a lot of guys who are young and athletic with tons of potential.  No more old guys.  No more misfits and marginal players cut from other squads.  This looks like a team with lots and lots of upside to me . . . and at least decent quality and diversity at almost every position.  Mostly, it's a team with a lot of youth and a lot of athleticism.  

My favourite group right now is the LBs and all the edge players.  Hightower and Jones both look ready to break out.  And I just love the athleticism of Fletcher, Collins, Bernard, Buchanan, and Beauharnais.  Already we're seeing better pass rush and pass coverage from those guys.  This to me is a huge, huge improvement on defense.  

I love Kelly and Wilfork in the middle.  Worried about depth there, but that's looking like a great starting unit in the middle of the D line.  

It's hard to judge the secondary with McCourty and Dennard out, but gotta like Talib.  And while the young guys are making lots of mistakes, I'm liking the athleticism.  Harmon, I think, is gonna surprise people.  He'll be the fourth safety I think (after McCourty, Gregory, and A. Wilson, in that order)--and may start winning snaps from Gregory by midseason.  Intrigued by Justin Green too . . . . the guy's getting a lot of snaps and while he doesn't look like a great cover corner to me seems to be around the ball and seems to be quite physical.  May end up as the ninth or tenth DB. 

On offense, gotta love the RBs.  Ridley and Vereen really look like a quality NFL backfield.  As much as you gotta like the hardworking Woodheads and BJGEs of the world, those guys are really marginal starters.  Ridley and Vereen, however, bring us the kind of quality we've needed to make the running game a real part of the offense.  The back-ups are all pretty good too.  

And then there are all the new receivers.  Amendola and Brady seem to have the same chemistry as Welker and Brady, but with Amendola being bigger and faster. Then there are young, outside receivers (Dobson, Tompkins, and Boyce), who will add a whole new dimension to our offense that has been missing for years. 

The TEs are good too . . . and once Gronk is back, we'll have a nice unit there with plenty of depth.  With Hern gone, I doubt the passing offense will be quite as TE focused as it was last year, but these guys will block well in the running game and will still have a lot of receptions.  

I doubt Devlin will stick, but it was kind of nice to see a real FB in the offense . . . a guy who not only blocks and catches, but runs hard in short yardage situations . . . 

I've said for years that the Pats have done remarkably well given talent that never seemed quite up to championship quality.  I think now we are turning once again into a really talented, athletic team.  The coaching will be as stellar as ever, and with all the young, athletic football players on the team I think the Pats are in the best shape they've been in since about 2007.  

As Pete Carroll would have said . . . "we're pumped and jacked" about this year . . . 

I do like what I see so far but in no way am I ready to say Amendola and Brady have the same chemistry as W.W. and Brady did. We'll see what happens when the games matter. Amendola is fragile and injury prone and nowhere near as durable as W.W. Mr. Amondola has some very big shoes to fill.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I think this looks like the best team since 2007 as well.

Brady IS Brady.

We have Gronk when he gets back and Sudfeld looks better than AH. Sudfeld has great hands and is not a bad blocker. AH dropped his share and was not as strong a blocker. Plus we have a choice of Ballard, Fells, etc.

This is the best GROUP of RBs we have had in the BB era. None are Corey but as a group this is the best. I think this is a top 3 running team. Plus depth plus Vereen is a matchup monster in his own right.

This is looking like a really great and even deep group of WRs. DA is tremendous. Edelman is solid. The three rookies all look like they are gettin git and all have their strengths. Two of them, Dobson and Boyce, are deep threats and DA is much more a deep threat than WW was.

The oline looks very solid and deep as usual.

We have a very good KO returner and a very good P returner.

It all comes down to D. And that is looking up. Vinny and Kelly are a realllllly good team in the middle of the line. They each are more effective with the other on the field with them. Jones is the real deal. Nink is a decent player especially if he is in a rotation. Not sure about the player who will rotate with him though.

Spikes has great instincts and is a hitter. Mayo is a stud. Hightower is - I think - a Willie McGinest in the making.

Talib is solid. Dennard is solid as a second CB. McCourty is a good S. So the questions are STAR (Arrington seems decent there), the second S and depth. A Wilson will help but we need more along coverage lines.

THere is also the rookie Collins who seems like he will have an impact.

Bottom line on the D is (1) pass rush.. is the team pass rush good enough to be a GOOD pass rushing unit? and (2) S, STAR, cover LB, (3) health/depth

If the D questions are answered in a reasonable way this team would compete with 2007. Not better but competative... especially with the TEs and running game both being significant imporvements.

I guess there is one last question for the team as a whole: DOES THIS GROUP HAVE THE CHARACTER TO TAKE THE BIGGEST GAMES IN HAND AND WIN THEM?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

That can not be.... I have read on here many times that everyone on this team is barely mediocre except for Brady and Gronkowski.

How dare you suggest they have some talent. I will simply assume you mean they are closer to mediocre than anytime since 2007. ;-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

19-0

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Three key guys for me on defense are Jones, Hightower and Dennard. It's pretty rare for rookies, especially D-line and LB to have much impact. Jones and Hightower had their moments last year, but they were inconsistent and faded, which is to be expected. Dennard was pretty steady and solid.

I don't think they need to take any sort of leap, they just need to progress as you would expect talented young players to do. Jones and Hightower were not really impact players last year, they should be this year. Dennard should be that much more comfortable and from what we've seen already, he has Pro Bowl potential.

If those guys just progress (and don't get thrown in prison or suspended...), this defense has a chance to be very good. By next year, when Collins is in his second year, that much better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elendil. Show elendil's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

19-0

Come on now.... I see 23-0 morelikely!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know? I think Dennard, Talib and maybe McCourty at safety should be a better start than what we saw last year and we added Kelly. Maybe Collins comes in and gives us a little of that pass rush (or Bennard) that Anderson did off the edge a few years ago, but at least you can look at Collins and say...maybe this guy is going to develop into an outside linebacker. And that's good.

I like the young receivers, but let's be honest...we all know how few receivers come right into the league and are able to put up big numbers. There is going to be games where they disappear. Having Brady sure helps though and if we get back Gronk and if Amendola stays healthy it won't matter much.

I wish they had done more at the defensive tackle position. And I wanted them to sign Dashon Gholdson - those were the two positons I thought they absolutely had to improve in and I don't know if they have. To me that's the big question.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to edsam44's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

might as well just cancel the season and bring the lombardi trophy to foxboro today!

Undecided unreal

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

no - but I would LOVE to be proven wrong. 

I don't take the preseason seriously and am surprised by those who do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I think the defense is becoming better, and with the young WRs the offense is. But some still think Wes Welker is the key to the offense.