Anybody else think this may be the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Anybody else think this may be the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007?

Offensively this team has the potential to be scary-good.  Like the potential of the passing game.  Run game should be strong.

I have 2 questions on D: 

Depth at DT (fixable I'm sure when teams cut down)

Secondary in general.  Talib and Dennard at the corners with Arrington covering slot should be solid. Depth there is the queston IMO.  Safety is another matter.  I need to see more - probably after McC returns.  Potential is there.

This may very well be the most talented team the Pats have fielded since 2007.  Overall I'm quite optimistic about the year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Anybody else think this may be the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007?

The big difference I'm seeing this year compared to recent years is we're not having to rely on so many marginal guys like Ocho and Haynesworth and Burgess and Woodhead and Branch to be starters at key positions.  There are still question marks about some of the young guys, but at least they are young guys with potential and not guys who have no upside if they don't work out immediately.  That to me is reassuring.  I'd rather see Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce out there than Branch, Stallworth, and Ocho.   The latter three have no upside because their careers are winding down, so if they fail, there's really no hope.  The former may not have proven anything yet, but they have already shown a lot of potential, and if even just one of them lives up to his potential, we'll have a better receiving corp than any we've had since Moss and Welker were tearing things up in 2007. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

The big difference I'm seeing this year compared to recent years is we're not having to rely on so many marginal guys like Ocho and Haynesworth and Burgess and Woodhead and Branch to be starters at key positions.  There are still question marks about some of the young guys, but at least they are young guys with potential and not guys who have no upside if they don't work out immediately.  That to me is reassuring.  I'd rather see Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce out there than Branch, Stallworth, and Ocho.   The latter three have no upside because their careers are winding down, so if they fail, there's really no hope.  The former may not have proven anything yet, but they have already shown a lot of potential, and if even just one of them lives up to his potential, we'll have a better receiving corp than any we've had since Moss and Welker were tearing things up in 2007. 

I agree...said the same thing right after the season ended. Get young guys in here at the receiver position and make Brady have to throw to them, because he'll get some of them to develop and I like the thought of these guys having young legs...the ability to physically do it. The mental stuff will come.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

no - but I would LOVE to be proven wrong. 

I don't take the preseason seriously and am surprised by those who do.

Well, I don't care about preseason results. Case in point, the Lions went 4-0 the season they lost all 16.  I take nothing from the fact that a group of semi-regular Patriots beat a group of semi-regular Bucs. The scores mean nothing, but individual performances are important.

Other than veterans who have already made the roster, it's a bunch of guys trying to make the team or make another team, so they're busting their butts and you're getting their max.

Or a guy like Mallett who otherwise never plays so you can at least get some idea if the guy has any poise, can make NFL throws, etc.  Even seeing how Brady works with his new receivers is of interest.

So, the game's are something to pay attention to, just not the results. Now the fourth game is a complete waste of time and shouldn't happen. It's just an opportunity for guys to get hurt. Anybody remember when Tippett, Veris and Lippett all went down for the season in the last fake game years ago?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

I know it's early, but after the first two preseason games, I'm thinking this is the most talented team the Pats have had since 2007.  At just about every position I see a lot of guys who are young and athletic with tons of potential.  No more old guys.  No more misfits and marginal players cut from other squads.  This looks like a team with lots and lots of upside to me . . . and at least decent quality and diversity at almost every position.  Mostly, it's a team with a lot of youth and a lot of athleticism.  

My favourite group right now is the LBs and all the edge players.  Hightower and Jones both look ready to break out.  And I just love the athleticism of Fletcher, Collins, Bernard, Buchanan, and Beauharnais.  Already we're seeing better pass rush and pass coverage from those guys.  This to me is a huge, huge improvement on defense.  

I love Kelly and Wilfork in the middle.  Worried about depth there, but that's looking like a great starting unit in the middle of the D line.  

It's hard to judge the secondary with McCourty and Dennard out, but gotta like Talib.  And while the young guys are making lots of mistakes, I'm liking the athleticism.  Harmon, I think, is gonna surprise people.  He'll be the fourth safety I think (after McCourty, Gregory, and A. Wilson, in that order)--and may start winning snaps from Gregory by midseason.  Intrigued by Justin Green too . . . . the guy's getting a lot of snaps and while he doesn't look like a great cover corner to me seems to be around the ball and seems to be quite physical.  May end up as the ninth or tenth DB. 

On offense, gotta love the RBs.  Ridley and Vereen really look like a quality NFL backfield.  As much as you gotta like the hardworking Woodheads and BJGEs of the world, those guys are really marginal starters.  Ridley and Vereen, however, bring us the kind of quality we've needed to make the running game a real part of the offense.  The back-ups are all pretty good too.  

And then there are all the new receivers.  Amendola and Brady seem to have the same chemistry as Welker and Brady, but with Amendola being bigger and faster. Then there are young, outside receivers (Dobson, Tompkins, and Boyce), who will add a whole new dimension to our offense that has been missing for years. 

The TEs are good too . . . and once Gronk is back, we'll have a nice unit there with plenty of depth.  With Hern gone, I doubt the passing offense will be quite as TE focused as it was last year, but these guys will block well in the running game and will still have a lot of receptions.  

I doubt Devlin will stick, but it was kind of nice to see a real FB in the offense . . . a guy who not only blocks and catches, but runs hard in short yardage situations . . . 

I've said for years that the Pats have done remarkably well given talent that never seemed quite up to championship quality.  I think now we are turning once again into a really talented, athletic team.  The coaching will be as stellar as ever, and with all the young, athletic football players on the team I think the Pats are in the best shape they've been in since about 2007.  

As Pete Carroll would have said . . . "we're pumped and jacked" about this year . . . 

On paper, the Patriots go into this season with the most talent that theyve ever had on a single PATRIOTS team. The question is whether or not the first and second season guys perform up to measurables and exceed normal expectations. Regardless, i have never been more certain going into a season that they have enough depth and QUALITY NFL talent two deep across the board To win another trophy. Barring a catestrphic loss, this team will do things that will make this a very SPECIAL YEAR!..........Even for the New England Patriots. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

Lloyd was a system guy who produced.  Ochocinco didn't work but that was 2011. Aren't we over the idea that Brady and Welker choked in SB 46 again? Just get over it.  Welker was wide open. Brady took that Safety when he didn't have to.  He threw that INT for god knows what reason. But, it's over.

Burgess hasn't been here since 2010. Burgess? Really, dude? Going to troll your own thread now aka scour to find ways to deflect from our QB's poor play in recent postseasons scannign for Welker and Gronk, only, as spoiled as he was?

Also WOodhead was never a starter and never should have been give the amount of playing time he had. BJGE could catch just fine, but Brady wanted to run more shotgun spread and Woodhead was his preferred RB in those formations. We've been over this. We never lost a game when BJGE was our feature RB in 2010 or 2011. Think about that. Never lost a game.  So, you tell me.

You lost the debates. You did. I kept giving example after example after example and you still want to scrambel back to deflect and scapegoat others who had nothing to do with Brady's poor play. You're even so desperate to do it within his brilliant rebuild into the dangerous lockout that you mentioned Derrick Burgess from 2009. lol 

BB gave Brady every possible available system binky for Brady for YEARS now. Since 2010. No more. No more.

What I am relieved with is Brady in here this offseason for the first time in YEARS. YEARS. Lowering that drawbridge for Amendola in LA this offseason and being forced to throw to all these rookies. THere is no other way.

Thank you, BB.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Rusty.  I just keep forgetting that the only thing wrong with the Pats is Brady and the fact that Belichick can't pull away all his "binkies" fast enough and can't stop him from lining up in the shotgun.

Of course.  That explains everything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

Lloyd was a system guy who produced.  Ochocinco didn't work but that was 2011. Aren't we over the idea that Brady and Welker choked in SB 46 again? Just get over it.  Welker was wide open. Brady took that Safety when he didn't have to.  He threw that INT for god knows what reason. But, it's over.

Burgess hasn't been here since 2010. Burgess? Really, dude? Going to troll your own thread now aka scour to find ways to deflect from our QB's poor play in recent postseasons scannign for Welker and Gronk, only, as spoiled as he was?

Also WOodhead was never a starter and never should have been give the amount of playing time he had. BJGE could catch just fine, but Brady wanted to run more shotgun spread and Woodhead was his preferred RB in those formations. We've been over this. We never lost a game when BJGE was our feature RB in 2010 or 2011. Think about that. Never lost a game.  So, you tell me.

You lost the debates. You did. I kept giving example after example after example and you still want to scrambel back to deflect and scapegoat others who had nothing to do with Brady's poor play. You're even so desperate to do it within his brilliant rebuild into the dangerous lockout that you mentioned Derrick Burgess from 2009. lol 

BB gave Brady every possible available system binky for Brady for YEARS now. Since 2010. No more. No more.

What I am relieved with is Brady in here this offseason for the first time in YEARS. YEARS. Lowering that drawbridge for Amendola in LA this offseason and being forced to throw to all these rookies. THere is no other way.

Thank you, BB.

[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Obviously beyond the realms of what conventional mental health care can accomplish.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

Thank you, BB.

Obviously beyond the realms of what conventional mental health care can accomplish.

Look, I know you can't counter due to the embarrassment of making a fool of yourself here for like 2 years straight as the Brady/Welker offense let us done in Januarys or Februarys, but it's over.

You lost.

All those words you typed to try to get fans to not look at the reality of why we were losing were all for naught.

Brady 8 TDs and 9 INTs in his last 3 home AFC title games with Welker here in the shotgun spread base scheme.

Note how Gronk, Welker and Hernandez aren't here and Brady looks better than ever. Why?  BB has forced Brady to spread the ball around, not playing favorites and not ignoring the open guy. Do you think Brady winning the offseason award is some mystery or accident? It's the first one he's won in YEARS.  I want action from Brady, not talk.

That's why he looks better than he has in years.

Welcome back, Tom Brady, pre-2007.  I would have paid money to hear the discussion between BB and Brady at the end of the year. I doubt Brady was thrilled. Whether he knew BB was walking from Welkie or not, we'll never know.

Again, thank you BB. I could not take another home playoff loss where moron fans race in to blame a 6th DB or a reserve player on D that is a JAG as Brady and Welker choke it down right in front of the entire country on national tv.

Again, obsessed with your own delusions is not good!  Shock therapy a must!

Hey !  Did you hear that no team in the history of the NFL has ever won a SB with a pass defense as bad as the 2011 Pats had?

Never have and never will.  Offenses can't score from the bench.  It's impossible!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Thank you, BB.

Look, I know you can't counter due to the embarrassment of making a fool of yourself here for like 2 years straight as the Brady/Welker offense let us done in Januarys or Februarys, but it's over.

You lost.

All those words you typed to try to get fans to not look at the reality of why we were losing were all for naught.

Brady 8 TDs and 9 INTs in his last 3 home AFC title games with Welker here in the shotgun spread base scheme.

Note how Gronk, Welker and Hernandez aren't here and Brady looks better than ever. Why?  BB has forced Brady to spread the ball around, not playing favorites and not ignoring the open guy. Do you think Brady winning the offseason award is some mystery or accident? It's the first one he's won in YEARS.  I want action from Brady, not talk.

Welcome back, Tom Brady, pre-2007.  I would have paid money to hear the discussion between BB and Brady at the end of the year. I doubt Brady was thrilled. Whether he knew BB was walking from Welkie or not, we'll never know.

Again, thank you BB. I could not take another home playoff loss where moron fans race in to blame a 6th DB or a reserve player on D that is a JAG as Brady and Welker choke it down right in front of the entire country on national tv.

Hey !  Did you hear that no team in the history of the NFL has ever won a SB with a pass defense as bad as the 2011 Pats had?

Never have and never will.  Offenses can't score from the bench.  It's impossible!

The Giants in SB 25 won vs the Bills. They leaned on OJ Anderson. We leaned on Brady and Welkie to eat clock. We failed. Guess who drew up that gameplan which basically mirrored BB's in SB 46?  lol

BB was carried off the field in SB 25 and should have been in SB 46, barring Brady's meltdown with his Kentucky Derby buddy, Welkie. Did you even see that 4th qtr? lol

You can't win by taking Safeties to start the game, missing wide open WRs late in the game or throwing INTs on 1st downs in 4th qtrs. That's really where you'll never see a team win a SB.

Christ, Pittsburgh was awful vs Seattle in SB 40, but somehow mysteriously managed to win that game.

Well,  BB needs to retrieve that playbook because Coughlin apparently hasn't forgotten it.

Or maybe he just had a better defense?

Ya you can win by taking a safety the same way you can win by allowing a TD or a FG on the first play.

Normally you would have 12 other possessions to make up for that but ......OH, SNAP, there were only 8.   Wonder what happened to those other 4 scoring opportunities?

Coughlin knows and so does anyone else with a lick of sense.

BB knows too.  Unfortunately he was defenseless (pun intended) to stop it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

Probably, but not necessarily vs. 2001-2004 Patriots.  Offense is better vs. 2001-2004, but not the defense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Thank you, BB.

You lost.

The Giants in SB 25 won vs the Bills. They leaned on OJ Anderson. We leaned on Brady and Welkie to eat clock. We failed. Guess who drew up that gameplan which basically mirrored BB's in SB 46?  lol

BB was carried off the field in SB 25 and should have been in SB 46, barring Brady's meltdown with his Kentucky Derby buddy, Welkie. Did you even see that 4th qtr? lol

You can't win by taking Safeties to start the game, missing wide open WRs late in the game or throwing INTs on 1st downs in 4th qtrs. That's really where you'll never see a team win a SB.

Christ, Pittsburgh was awful vs Seattle in SB 40, but somehow mysteriously managed to win that game.

Well,  BB needs to retrieve that playbook because Coughlin apparently hasn't forgotten it.

Or maybe he just had a better defense?

Ya you can win by taking a safety the same way you can win by allowing a TD or a FG on the first play.

Normally you would have 12 other possessions to make up for that but ......OH, SNAP, there were only 8.   Wonder what happened to those other 4 scoring opportunities?

Coughlin knows and so does anyone else with a lick of sense.

BB knows too.  Unfortunately he was defenseless (pun intended) to stop it.

No, the gameplan was to keep the plays in front of the D and to hold them to FGs. They accomplished that.

End of story.

Our offense had FOUR DRIVES in the 3rd and 4th qtr which didn't even get us 1 FG in a dome with a kicker who has a big leg.

How is that any different than last year in Seattle where our offense went 5/6 in the red zone???!  It's the same thing.

You can't just have an offense show up for a half or half the game or whatnot, make a few eyepopping plays and then wash your hands and say "our job is done here". No, it's not Brady!  60 minutes!

Any honest Pats fan will say our D outplayed our own offense in the 2011 postseason, which simply cannot happen if our offense is the better unit, which it clearly was.

FAIL

Tom Brady doesn't get 20 million in 2011 to make the mistakes he made in SB 46. 3 collossal mistakes for the ages.

WRONG  They scored on the first possession in the 3rd,   Any one who thinks 75% scoring allowed in the second half, no ints, no fumble recoveries, 26 1st downs allowed in 8 possessions and a drive average of almost 5 minutes which ate up 4 whole possessions, is out playing ANY ONE.  is beyond delusional.

Oh, did I forget to mention giving up the lead in the last few seconds in 2 consecutive SBs.

Been on vacation, just watching the bucs game.  That blown coverage in the ez for the easy TD was  scarey awesome!    Is that what you mean by keeping the play in front of them?   Seems they forgot to do that on 2 of 4 scoring drives then, too.   DE JA VU....  UGH

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Offensively this team has the potential to be scary-good.

Nobody is afraid of an offense that can't run when they need to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Tom Brady doesn't get 20 million in 2011 to make the mistakes he made in SB 46. 3 collossal mistakes for the ages.

WRONG  They scored on the first possession in the 3rd,   Any one who thinks 75% scoring allowed in the second half, no ints, no fumble recoveries, 26 1st downs allowed in 8 possessions and a drive average of almost 5 minutes which ate up 4 whole possessions, is out playing ANY ONE.  is beyond delusional.

Oh, did I forget to mention giving up the lead in the last few seconds in 2 consecutive SBs.

Been on vacation, just watching the bucs game.  That blown coverage in the ez for the easy TD was  scarey awesome!    Is that what you mean by keeping the play in front of them?   Seems they forgot to do that on 2 of 4 scoring drives then, too.   DE JA VU....  UGH

Good to see you back Pezz. Dumbkoff has missed being bludgeoned by you daily. LMAO

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yes, I am really concerned about a blown coverage in preseason between our 5th CB and a rookie. Oh no!

That's what preseason is for, dummy.

Leave it to you to be so miserable as a human that you can't even enjoy all the positives with our team right now.

Funny how "it's just pre-season" when it undermines whatever stupid claim you are making dumbkoff. But it's chiseled in stone truth if it looks to support your spin (even though it is pre-season). You are a lying phoney through and through.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Leave it to you to be so miserable as a human that you can't even enjoy all the positives with our team right now.

LMAO@U You mean like our #1 positive, Brady, you dumbkoff?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Yes, I am really concerned about a blown coverage in preseason between our 5th CB and a rookie. Oh no!

That's what preseason is for, dummy.

Ummm, That is their depth?    Will Edelman, Slater, play safety/cb, this year too?

It's also been what they have been doing for several years now.   Scary=Bad!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, in this case, preseason doesn't count.  Only thing that matters is one man trying to carry a 31st ranked defense and a 27th ranked special team in a SB and failing.

What a dope!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, in this case, preseason doesn't count.  Only thing that matters is one man trying to carry a 31st ranked defense and a 27th ranked special team in a SB and failing.

What a dope!

[/QUOTE]

But Rusty will tell you how our D is great because it keeps the score low by being unable to get off the field and limiting the total number of possessions. LMAO

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Towelie-Toke's comment:

Probably, but not necessarily vs. 2001-2004 Patriots.  Offense is better vs. 2001-2004, but not the defense.

Agree. Those defenses in the early part of the 2000s were exceptional and the offenses were pretty good too.  The offense arguably peaked in 2007 (while the defense was still decent).  But after 2007, you had a declining defense and an offense that was still potent, but suffered a bit from one-dimensionality.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

FACT:

THe weakers part of of our team (the defense) outperformed the stronger part (the offense) in the 2011 postseason.

Wrong. One interception in 3 games isn't outperforming anybody.

Hey, grammar gestopo, what does "weakers part" mean?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

FACT:

THe weakers part of of our team (the defense) outperformed the stronger part (the offense) in the 2011 postseason.

No one cares where someone is "ranked" once the postseason rolls around either. It's a round robin tourney.

Christ, you people are morons. No one cared where our 25th ranked D was ranked in 2001 either.

Stop pointing to stats and rankings as if it means someone for that one gameday where you need to play your best. Brady has not been his best for a LONG time in the postseason. Since 2006. One great divisional game in 2007, 2011 or 2012 ain't cutting it. It has to be the WHOLE way through. And, our D shouldn't be expected to be All World for all those games either, especially when the offense isn't helping at all. Turnovers, poor game management, bad decisions from our QB, bad execution, etc, etc.

13, 14  or 17 points ain't winning playoff games in this era.

Get over it once and for all just purge yourself from your delusions and mental illness on this topic.  You'll feel a lot better once you say "TOm Brady has got to be a better QB for our team".

The weaker part of the team was EVEN WEAKER as I don't recall one RS game where they failed to get a turn over or a 3 and out or stop the other team in their own territory, even once, where they allowed a QB 75% completion and took 5 minutes a drive and 38 minutes on D.

Then again, it's hard to do worse than 31st. Unfortunately they did.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It's like you're openly rooting against our younger players,

This is just another example of why you are sooooo dense and stupid dumbkoff. Nobody is rooting against our players; quite the opposite. But unlike you we don't say they did well when they didn't. But you are so clueless you conclude in that disheveled mind that saying they suck is hoping they suck.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If our D can't get off the field then the score will be lower. Even a simpleton like you should be able to understand that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

FACT:

No one cares where someone is "ranked" once the postseason rolls around either. It's a round robin tourney.

Christ, you people are morons. No one cared where our 25th ranked D was ranked in 2001 either.

Stop pointing to stats and rankings as if it means someone for that one gameday where you need to play your best. Brady has not been his best for a LONG time in the postseason. Since 2006. One great divisional game in 2007, 2011 or 2012 ain't cutting it. It has to be the WHOLE way through. And, our D shouldn't be expected to be All World for all those games either, especially when the offense isn't helping at all. Turnovers, poor game management, bad decisions from our QB, bad execution, etc, etc.

Get over it once and for all just purge yourself from your delusions and mental illness on this topic.  You'll feel a lot better once you say "TOm Brady has got to be a better QB for our team".

The weaker part of the team was EVEN WEAKER as I don't recall one RS game where they failed to get a turn over or a 3 and out or stop the other team in their own territory, even once, where they allowed a QB 75% completion and took 5 minutes a drive and 38 minutes on D.

Then again, it's hard to do worse than 31st. Unfortunately they did.

No. No one cares about rankings. INdy's 32 ranked run D in 2006 was terrible, but they turned it on in the SB.

They won. WHy? 

[/QUOTE]

Because our D folded in the second half of the AFCCG dumbkoff.

Sections
Shortcuts