Anyone concerned that Dennard may end up in jail.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Re: Anyone concerned that Dennard may end up in jail.

The trial will not be over today as someone suggested, the defense will present it's side next week. Lets hope Dennard does not have to serve time, the defense does need him.

For those of you who want to follow what's happening--

http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/alleged-victim-testifies-dennard-shouldered-him/article_2996f4f8-fd85-5391-abd0-d1dc186983d6.html

comments from defense attorney taken from article-

Dougherty said the whole thing didn't amount to anything but a pushing match until Kopsa came up behind Dennard and grabbed him.

He said Dennard didn't know the person who grabbed him was an officer and reacted by raising his arm and elbow and swinging around to break free.

Up to that point, Dougherty said, Dennard did nothing wrong.

"He didn't know who was behind him, and he thought he was being attacked," he said.

Personally I believe  Dennard-He never had any trouble until that night, why would he suddenly start punching cops?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

In response to WeDerrWEBACK's comment:

In response to WeDerrWEBACK's comment:

Barring a disturbance at venue, I am not a fan of bicycle cops roaming around public places looking to start problems at 2 AM.    This is the kind of stuff that can happen.  For those of us who actually leave our homes, we can vouch for it. lol

The trial is over tomorrow.  Like I said, I expect a fine and community service tied to resisting arrest.

Always entertaining rusty.  those pesky bicycle cops starting trouble, everybody vouch for rusty.  no? he must be referring to the royal "we".

When you leave your basement let me know when you a pack of bicycle cops roaming around a venue at 2AM.

Not the best idea, as suggested by this incident. We have one cap, clearly bored, looking to make arrests for no reason. There was no fight, nothing wrong, but the cop made something go wrong, didn't he?

"fighting stance". lol

All I can think of is that movie Men At Work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5SxhL-QVU0

I have done my share of clubs, tampa's ybor district is lots of fun, but I am happy to have any/all police presence.  Then again, I wasnt part of the shady element down there. If you fear law enforcement, you obviously have something to hide.  I always make sure to thank an officer even when being given a driving citation.  I guess I am one of those people that respects a person that puts their life on the line for the safety of others.  Seem to be in the minority here...

I don't disagree, troll. I think cops have difficult jobs, I respect them and don't envy them. But, the smaller town cop attitude does exist and those are the ones who usually seem to have the problems. It's very rare big city cops or the professional state troopers find themselves in these kinds of he said/she said situations. They have other things to worry about. Like, real crimes.

Drunk kids outside of a club isn't something new.  Cops looking to make arrests are usually the ones who have the problem, not the citizen.  They should be out fighting other battles on the taxpayer's dime.

Sending in bike cops sounds incredibly dumb to me.  I live in a city and see bike cops but you never see them circling around a bar at 2 AM, bored, looking to provoke an arrest.

Bike cops are good for creating a street presence, not for making sure drunk kids leave the bar quietly at 2 AM. Dumb.

what do you suggest(cant beleive I am asking you this...)?  Watch Denard beat someone to a pulp?  He wasnt hanging out/loitering.  When an officer gives you an order to stop, you stop. He isnt going to grab denards hand and make him punch someone.  Werent you the one that was saying it was okay to not obey the officer because he was a plain clothes officer?  Maybe that was another ignorant bastid on this board, maybe rickey retardo.

I'll be honest, if I heard someone say stop late at night outside a club, I am not sure I do stop especially if I am minding my business which I do. What is this Nazi Germany with a halt call in the alley?

Like I said, the probable cause aspect by the cop sounds weak to me. A "fighting stance"? I mean, seriously? Who gets into a stance if they're involved in a fight?  It sounds fabricated.   And if there was no fight, why is there an arrest?

We'll see. There was no fight according to witnesses from what's been reported. Alos, the person who threw the punch wasn't reported to definitively be Dennard either.

Lots of inconsistencies in what happened.

Normally, an assualt on a police office is on camera, tons of witnesses confirm it or there is physical evidence like sratches, bruises or other injuries.

Sounds like a resisting of being cuffed to me with a cop trying to be a big shot.

Wow.  Russ the civil libertarian.  Never knew you were that person.  You a member of the ACLU?

But hey, if Ray Lewis can get off, surely Dennard can, right?

Nah, but we've all seen corrupt cops before or heard the stories.  Dennard has admitted to resisting arrest already.  I doubt he gets off if he admitted to that. Fine, community service.

[/QUOTE]
    Russ you could use one of those cop bikes right now. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Most cops that I've known on a personal basis are some of the worst people I've ever had the displeasure of knowing.

This cop acts like Dennard knocked his teeth out or something.  What a puss!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

police are a joke now.....it used to mean something when you were a cop. now it means absolutely nothing....most of them now are corrupt and do nothing but eat donuts and get fat all day. and they wonder why some of the fugitives get away. the fat a.ss cops cant catch em! this isnt all cops, there is still plenty who do a terrific job....but i wouldnt say this cops' actions surprise me one bit.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

police are a joke now.....it used to mean something when you were a cop. now it means absolutely nothing....most of them now are corrupt and do nothing but eat donuts and get fat all day. and they wonder why some of the fugitives get away. the fat a.ss cops cant catch em! this isnt all cops, there is still plenty who do a terrific job....but i wouldnt say this cops' actions surprise me one bit.

To be fair, not all true. I actually think the bice cop thing is very effective in the day and good for a presence effect.

If they really wanted to show force at that bar, they'd have a paddy wagon sitting out there as kids were going into that bar.

Don't just show up on freaking bikes after kids have been drinking, etc, where it's more likely to have a confrontation.  Just dumb management.

I actually prefer a police presence because it keeps he riff raff out and things go peacefully.  Everyone has a good time, no issues, etc. 

i guess, i mean i dont mind police being around....but it just seems like there have been too many cases where police have just been made to look fools and/or bullies.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

To be fair, not all true. I actually think the bice cop thing is very effective in the day and good for a presence effect.

If they really wanted to show force at that bar, they'd have a paddy wagon sitting out there as kids were going into that bar.

Don't just show up on freaking bikes after kids have been drinking, etc, where it's more likely to have a confrontation.  Just dumb management.

I actually prefer a police presence because it keeps he riff raff out and things go peacefully.  Everyone has a good time, no issues, etc. 

i guess, i mean i dont mind police being around....but it just seems like there have been too many cases where police have just been made to look fools and/or bullies.

Depends on how well department is run. If it's run well, you don't see this kind of stuff occurring.  If it's not run well, you see stuff like this. It almost smells like this is a known Husker bar, they send out some officers at closing time and look to get some notoriety.

And I am not absolving Dennard here either. No need to be overreating in a crowd after some drinks. 

absolutely, hes not to be excluded from any guilt here. i dont expect him to get anything serious though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

It sounds like there's already roon for some doubt as to what transpired just based upon the prosecution's case.

It doesn't sound like the victim's evidence helped the prosecution but perhaps they felt his evidence was important enough to the overall narrative that they had to put him on the stand.

Assuming Dennard testifies, as long as he comes across okay, in terms of appearing to have just reacted to a fluid and spur of the moment situation, you'd have to think he's at least then got a good argument for a lenient sentence.

It's not like he and the cop had some lengthy verbal back and forth and then Dennard punched him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

They will fine him plenty.  Two weeks of court to pay for.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

i hope his defense team is better than the one he plays for...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Don't know which department you're referring to nor what level of exposure you've had to law enforcement and therefore I'll state that up front.  What I do know is what my experience has been as someone who works in partnership with law enforcement on a daily basis.  And my experience is totally inconsistent with what is in the above post.  Are there bad cops?  Absolutely. However, most of the ones I work with are highly professional, decent men and women and are not at all like what you describe.  Just my perspective.

With respect to the Dennard matter, I think anyone that's been in a crowded bar at closing time knows how occasionally chaotic it can be and that's what appears to have been the case here.  I would also add is that often one man's punch is another man's shove. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

if you live in a little suburban town where the cops are the same color as the citizens and most people share the same beliefs then you probably has a positive outlook on police... now if you're a minority and/or have lived in a large city then you will have a much different outlook. 

there is a powerful minority within the police force who are the most aggressive/violent/corrupt.. then there are the silent majority who while they may be decent people out of uniform are cowardly enablers while in uniform. these are the officers who aren't brave enough to engage in the violence or corruption but neither will they call out fellow officers and report fellow officers for misconduct and corruption. to me that's even worse.

overall you have be extremely naive to not realize that the culture of modern police forces are going down hill. if we were to sit here and examine police around the country on a case by case basis you will see that overall cops are paranoid and irrational. 

Perspective noted.  I trust it is based on direct experience and not merely trendy stereotype.

My current professional experience (i.e. I work with them every day) is with two jurisdictions in Connecticut's capital city:  the Hartford Police Department and the Connecticut State Capital Police.  If you know anything about Hartford's demographics then I'm sure you'll understand that it is hardly suburban and is particularly multi-cultural.

And now, in order to forestall any thread hijacking, intentionally or otherwise, I'll stop posting here.  I fully recognize that there are those who will view this as me cutting and running and not wishing to engage in further debate.  To them I would say this:  select a political forum of your choosing (not a football forum) and I'll be delighted to debate any and all of what appears here with you.  But, in fairness to the other posters, I'll not do it here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Don't know which department you're referring to nor what level of exposure you've had to law enforcement and therefore I'll state that up front.  What I do know is what my experience has been as someone who works in partnership with law enforcement on a daily basis.  And my experience is totally inconsistent with what is in the above post.  Are there bad cops?  Absolutely. However, most of the ones I work with are highly professional, decent men and women and are not at all like what you describe.  Just my perspective.

With respect to the Dennard matter, I think anyone that's been in a crowded bar at closing time knows how occasionally chaotic it can be and that's what appears to have been the case here.  I would also add is that often one man's punch is another man's shove. 

true, obviously not everyone's experience/view on cops will be the same. if you have dealt with highly professional cops, than thats great. i havent had any run ins with the law per say, but just seeing things happening around me makes me wonder how clean they really are. obviously, as rusty stated above, it depends on the department.

and @godverment, i am white and live in a suburban area. i still dont like the way some police conduct themselves. so i mean, there are exceptions in what you said in the first paragraph.

as far as the dorner case goes, the LAPD should be ashamed of themselves. shooting up innocent civilians, offering a non-existent reward, burning down the cabin, etc. they conducted themselves like they were playing a war game on the computer. just shooting anything that moved. dorner is no saint, but he was absolutely right to be upset. he is still a murderer and i dont agree with killing cops, but what happened to him just shouldnt have gone as quietly as it did until he started killing cops.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

It's not as easy an issue to assess as it might seem. And, as others have stated, maybe a football forum isn't the best place.

On the one hand cops are in a position of trust to society and so should be held to a higher standard in terms of integrity.

But they're also in a very unique position job wise, as their lives are on the line potentially.

For most of us, if we have to testify in Court with the result that a co-worker is exposed, we aren't going to work the next day potentially needing that co-worker to save our lives.

It's a very different dynamic and the view from the outside will inevitably be a lot different than the view from the inside.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:

true, obviously not everyone's experience/view on cops will be the same. if you have dealt with highly professional cops, than thats great. i havent had any run ins with the law per say, but just seeing things happening around me makes me wonder how clean they really are. obviously, as rusty stated above, it depends on the department.

and @godverment, i am white and live in a suburban area. i still dont like the way some police conduct themselves. so i mean, there are exceptions in what you said in the first paragraph.

that's true. the overall consensus is never absolute. but in general the community of LA has a much more negative outlook of law enforcement than say those of tilton, NH. same for dorchester, brockton vs weston/sidbury. 

that is true, but the LAPD hasnt exactly given the residents any reason not to question their tactics. regardless of what races live i LA, id say they would have a right to be displeased with the LAPD. so would any area if their police conducted themselves like the LAPD.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

i hope his defense team is better than the one he plays for...

you a s s you re funny!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Alfonzo Dennard says he did not intentionally hit a police officer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/15/alfonzo-dennard-says-he-did-not-intentionally-hit-a-police-officer/