Anyone else annoyed at how the Jets keep winning games they likely shouldn't?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Anyone else annoyed at how the Jets keep winning games they likely shouldn't?

In Response to Re: Anyone else annoyed at how the Jets keep winning games they likely shouldn't?:
    [QUOTE]Dropped TD by Crumpler and Brady's awful INT as they steamrolled down the field. That's 14 points, worst case, 10. Did Rex magically wave a wand when Crumpler try to catch a wide open pass or did he put a hex on Brady on that pass to BJGE? At some point, there is a lot of luck involved and it's not impressive, it's just luck, and it happens to the Pats too.   Good for them, but stop acting like they are some juggernaut team.  It's becoming annyoing. I was kidding about them throwing the game. Put it this way, if you are  Cowboys fan watching your refurbished, new atttitude team play an almost perfect road game for 56 minutes, you'd be annoyed your team flat out handed it away. Very quietly, Buffalo has readjusted and Miami isn't as bad some claim.  The Jets get this hype because they  have all told us how great they are.  The question is, are they really? When you watch them, are they really this unstoppable team or are they pretty much in a deep mix of borderline playoff teams? Buffalo just BLASTED an up and coming KC team at one of the most difficult places to play in the NFL. Everyone here gave credit to NY last year in the playoffs. They won the game, made more plays and executed better.  But, that's over. Their mad dash to win it all into the lockout failed and you can't have watched last night's game and thought either their O or D was as impressive as it had been in recent years. Jax will give them problems next week.   Much better secondary and a good D as well.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I'm not acting like they're a juggernuat, nor have I stated as much and frankly they're not built to be a juggernaut, they're built to be a hardnosed run oriented ball control AFC North team that rely's on thier defense to keep games close. Frankly they're built very similar to the the dynasty Patriot teams and the Ravens...unfortunately for them them their more in the mold of the recent versions of the Ravens and Sanchez is no Brady...put Brady on the Jet's and they win at least one of the last two ACF championship games and probably the Superbowl last year...

What the Jet's do have is...

Offensively
    1) A stout O-line...
    2) very good skill players at TE, WR and RB

What they lack is a QB that can sit in the pocket and beat teams with his arm... 

Defensively,
    1) They're a top 3 or 4 in yards allowed from scrimmage...
    2) They have the best cover corner tandem in the game with Revis and Cromartie. Which allows them to play more man coverages freeing them up to gamble with both run and pass blitz packages with their safties and linebackers...
    3) Head Coach Rex Ryan....is among the best Defensive minds in the game...

What they lack is proven front line...time will tell if they can replace Ellis's leadership....

You don't have to be a football genious to arrive at the conclusion they're a good football team...and until we show that we can beat them when it matters...I will continue to give them their due

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Re: Anyone else annoyed at how the Jets keep winning games they likely shouldn't?

Why so concerned about overrated?  Rated by who?  Who cares?  Here's what we know.  The Jets won 9 games in 2009 and then a couple of road playoff games and lost to one of the superbowl teams.  Then in 2010, 11 wins, a couple more playoff wins and lost to one of the superbowl teams.  By my math, that puts them at either the #3 or #4 team for the past two years.  It is just that easy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone else annoyed at how the Jets keep winning games they likely shouldn't?:
    [QUOTE]MNP3a, Honestly, if they weren';t so mouthy about what they were doing and were intelligently going under the radar, I would. Until they win a division and win an AFC title, we're not seeing anything different.

Well said.

don't  know about their defense, yet: preseason was too short, every team will have issues. but i think they'll be good.

for me, the problem is: can the Pats raise their game come the playoffs? now we __know__ the Jets will.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

The funny thing here is that over in Green Gang land they have a thread entitled, "If The JETS were the PATS", the basic premise of which is that if the PATS had won against the Cowboys last evening in the same way, they would not have been called lucky or have it said that the Cowboys handed the game to them.  This thread is the mirror image of that but instead the fan angst is PATS angst.  Frankly its all to silly for me.  They won, sobeit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else annoyed at how the Jets keep winning games they likely shouldn't? : Look, generally speaking we agree. Just don't call me impressed after seeing our formula work here to the tune of 3 SBs and 4 SB appearances. The biggest claim to fame is Brady went down in 2008 and NY got some positive momentum after firing Manboobs. Ok. You mention their stout O LIne. I don't think it's that great. Mangold is, but Woody retired and Slauson is nothing more than average in between the overrated D'Bustashaw and Mangold. So, they have some issues at RT and health is in question. Ferguson and Wayne Hunter were abused pretty good last night.  Just like they are against good Front 7s like Pitt, Balt, GB, etc.   They're not that great. Mangold was injured in preseason as was Moore, and that's their two best O Linemen. We'll see if they are still as dominant as they were in 2009 and 2010. Cotchery and Edwards developed a rapport with Sanchez by last year and now Derrick Mason looks like an old man, who probably isn't an upgrade over Cotchery. They have questions.  Lots of em. On defense, losing all those key veterans they had to start last year may hurt them.  Depth is clearly an issue for them, especially at DE, OLB and CB. When Kyle Wilson is your first choice off the bench, you have issues against good offenses. Then, the Special Teams.   Their punter is arguably as bad as Weatherford. Losing Brad Smith hurts their Special Teams group as well whether they want to admit that or not. So, it's a different team than the one that was built to win it all last year. We agree they are a good team.  I never said anything different. I think it's weak, arrogant and flat out disrespectful for them to be yapping every year, pretending they are entitled to win the SB. We can all name 4 or 5 teams, if not more, in the AFC, which would give NY a problem if not a better team than they are. You and others claim I am giving them no credit, which is untrue.  I just don't feel like they are this infallible team because of how they talk in the press.  How they look doesn't quite match up to what they say. And Michael Fleger with Tony Mazz probably aren't the best sources for analyzing an NFL team, either. The hypocrisy is amazing. Let's pretend NY has built a winner and matched NE, but let's be overly dramatic that NE hasn't been to a SB in 3 years, one of them because Brady went down. The latter is this oversold notion by the anti-BB media. Look at Peter King with the "window closing" junk when he just spent 2 pages telling us how things look good for Gomer Manning and the Colts after this season. I am not buying it. I go by my eyes and facts.   Jets fans will lean on last year's playoff win, apparently, for the rest of their lives.  They'll milk that out until NE wins another SB. And if NE does win a SB before them, I guess we can expect a Jim Jonesque style group suicide, because they've built up this idea that they are destined.  They're like the Cameron Frye of NFL fans.  They're virgins to the idea what it takes to win and to see a team built to win. Show me a SB appearance AT LEAST and I'll come right out and acknowledge they are the real deal. Until then, they are Miami and maybe even Buffalo, as challengers in the division, just recently making their best push to put their team over the top.

It really is that easy.  I was a doubter in 2009.  They made a slew of personnel changes, then they did it again in 2010, it didn't seem to hurt them.  What we have is two years of actual proof of where the Jets finished... it was 3rd or 4th best.  It seems like you are absolutely positive that changing a kick returner and a couple of lineman will be the demise of the Jets.  I just don't feel that way.  I have seen what that team is capable of.  I have seen that they can overcome the loss of free agents, controversy, big mouths and poor play from their QB.  At some point, you need to face reality and realize that they will likely be in the playoffs again and maybe go deep again.  Predicting a dismal outcome because of some personnel changeover would be like ignoring the last two years.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

YES!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

They shouldn't have beat Dallas?

Home opener, in NY, on the anniversary of 911, Div champ vs 6-10 team. 

They should win their first 3.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]The funny thing here is that over in Green Gang land they have a thread entitled, "If The JETS were the PATS", the basic premise of which is that if the PATS had won against the Cowboys last evening in the same way, they would not have been called lucky or have it said that the Cowboys handed the game to them.  This thread is the mirror image of that but instead the fan angst is PATS angst.  Frankly its all to silly for me.  They won, sobeit.
    Posted by Dessalines[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I think most Pats fans would say the Pats were lucky. Much like last year how they were lucky to beat SD. They didn't deserve to bet SD much like the Jets didn't deserve to beat Dal last night. Listen if the D wins the game they win the game, that's not luck. However, when the opposing team is about to deliver the final blow then all of a sudden hands you the ball and crawls into the fertile position well that's luck. Now, of course luck alone doesn't win the game and the Jets needed to take advantage of the bad play of Romo and just plain bad coaching but they were basically gift wrap a game they should have lost.

If the same thing happened to the Pats I will be the first to admit the Pats got lucky and didn't deserve to win the game as I'm sure most die hards on here would

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

I think maybe you just don't know what luck is.  Romo tried to make something happen.  The receivers were covered, it was third down, he tried to run it in so that they could get more than 3 points from first and goal.  Then luck happened?  Actually, he got hit hard and fumbled the ball.  It happens.  It happens to some guys more than others.  Then sometimes, an opposing player  is responsible for that fumble... still not luck.  Luck is pure chance. 
    That play where a Jet fumbled, it rolled forward right into another Jet who not only covered it up, but for a first down.  That's luck. 
    Do you think Bill refers to this stuff as luck?  I don't.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else annoyed at how the Jets keep winning games they likely shouldn't? : I don't know. I think most Pats fans would say the Pats were lucky. Much like last year how they were lucky to beat SD. They didn't deserve to bet SD much like the Jets didn't deserve to beat Dal last night. Listen if the D wins the game they win the game, that's not luck. However, when the opposing team is about to deliver the final blow then all of a sudden hands you the ball and crawls into the fertile position well that's luck. Now, of course luck alone doesn't win the game and the Jets needed to take advantage of the bad play of Romo and just plain bad coaching but they were basically gift wrap a game they should have lost. If the same thing happened to the Pats I will be the first to admit the Pats got lucky and didn't deserve to win the game as I'm sure most die hards on here would
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Would you say that pick against Manning in the 4th quarter was luck?  He sort of threw it right to McCourty (I think it was McCourty). 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else annoyed at how the Jets keep winning games they likely shouldn't? : The last thing you want to do in that situation is turn the ball over, professor. Don't you get this? Doing what he did was way too risky, hence why the fumble should never have happened. Get it? Eat the ball!  Run out of bounds!  Throw it away!  Slide! It's like the cardinal sin of being a QB in that situation. Get over it, Bob. You are starting to sound like a Jets apologist and you know what that means around here. You have 60 posts in a less than a week as a new fan here, claiming to be from a suburb of Boston. A little suspicious. Just saying. You seem to have a lot vested in defending the Jets.

It started off by defending Romo.  Then someone started in with this whole luck thing, which I consider bogus.  Teams create there own luck.
    Of course fumbling is the last thing you want to do.  Do you think Romo wanted to do that?  Tie game, 3rd and goal, pressure is on, receivers covered... what just go down and kick the field goal?  No, you go for the endzone and hold onto that ball like it's attached to yours. 
    I just happen to think that Romo is a decent QB who made a few bad plays.  He also made a lot of really good plays.  He's no Brady or Manning, but Romo is a good QB.  He put up 24 points against what has been a very good pass D.  Sure, maybe he could have tacked on another 3-10, but when you put up 24 points against the Jets, you should win.