Anyone else concerned about the offensive line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Anyone else concerned about the offensive line

4 straight weeks of Brady getting beaten up.

I wasn't overly concerned earlier because MIA usually gives us trouble, Watt is a beast, and that was a very good front 7 for the 49ers, but the Jags??? They have 15 sacks on the season,  they got 3 today...

We've seen what this offense is capable of when Brady has time. But we've also seen how it can struggle when Brady is under pressure (MIA, 1st half and two of the last three drives in SF, and today). This offensive line has had a history of not being at its best come playoff time. Also, what happened to the pass/run balance?

I still like the Pats chances of representing the AFC in the Super Bowl...but I'm starting to get a little worried that this team is falling into similar habits that have led to this team falling short in recent years.

Whether or not you trust Ridley, this offense is completely different when there is a running game to rely on, especially if the Oline continues to struggle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Anyone else concerned about the offensive line

I have been concerned, as I have repeatedly stated since training camp, with the Oline. I do think they were assuming a Waters return, pushing Wendell to interior depth. Waters not reporting weakened 2 spots, making the Pats undersized at G and C. Wendell has played well, but he does not have the size to be a starting NFL C and he does have 1-2 mistakes each game allowing a free pass at Brady up the gut. 

As the running game becomes less and less of a factor, when it should be more and more, makes the posters on this board point to Brady, BB and McD, while the real culprit is the OL, simply not creating the holes to run. 

Welkers catch total is the creation of a poor running attack, as Welker on a 5 yard pass play is the Pats best run option when the OLine in not creating holes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I'm concerned if they play like yesterday, how can't you be? The real thing that pisses me off though is Ridley was getting some huge chucks of yardage pretty consistently and they take it out of his hands?? Why? He only had like 18 carries for 80 something yards. They could of ran him 30 times yesterday for 150 yards...easy. Brady wouldn't of gotten crushed and we would of moved the ball - and heaven forbid it would of opened up play action and slowed down the rush. Just dumb coordinating by a guy that will probably get another head coaching job and totally ruin another franchise. Dumb. Seriously, how is McDanials being considered for another gig?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Even after this preseason I was confident about the O line. And while I think we have a good line and good depth I do think the pass blocking breaks down too often against good schemes. THis happened in each of the losses including late v SF with the game on the line. Break dows have come from each part of the line. But I think I see more breakdowns inside at center and RG than anywhere else. I think - and I did even at the start of the season - that they need another interior lineman to start at either C or RG and I assume Connolly will play one of those spots depending on who we get (draft or FA).

I also want to see the tackles step their games up at list another uptick for the playoffs when they will be severely tested.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I'm a bit concerned about the O-Line because honestly...whether some like it or not, they're going to live and die by Brady's right arm.  The WR group is showing to be a pretty poor group for one reason or another.  They're not getting separation and Brady is waiting for something to be available.

What I don't like is that there is no checkdown for Brady to go to.  RBs are either staying in to block or they simply aren't being targeted by Brady.  I think Vereen and/or Woodhead need to be the checkdown guys....not RB running pass patterns...i mean, staying close to the play.

As for the line...they're not exactly lighting things up for run blocking...and their pass blocking seems to be getting worse (and as mentioned, some of that is on Brady and the WR).  I can't imagine that Gronk is the key to everything working normally.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yep.  O line has me concerned, both in the running game and passing game.  The answer isn't putting Brady under center and not subbing running backs.  It's better blocking, pure and simple. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yep.  O line has me concerned, both in the running game and passing game.  The answer isn't putting Brady under center and not subbing running backs.  It's better blocking, pure and simple. 

[/QUOTE]

^

The whole team hasn't been executing the last few weeks. The offense was a bit better against SF than  the D but, and vice versa against the Jags. 

The execution is regressing at a time when the team is usually peaking. 

Missing Gronk, who facilitates the running and passing game equally, is huge.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Vollmer almost got Brady killed again yesterday. I guess the Pats got lucky Brady only got slammed in the head.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NO

Top 5 O line in the league. Period.  Two great tackles, nice Center, two good Guards and some nice backups who can fill in anywhere.

Stop making excuses for Brady. They came out flat vs SF and Jax and paid for it.  Go ask Brady why he looks flat. There are plenty of times in these games where he's bobbing up and down in the pocket, scouring the field for 5-7 seconds and still gets hit because he's waiting for a route to open.

Stop subbing RBs in and out and get him back under center!  

[/QUOTE]

i know your not a Pats fan because no real Pats fan hates Brady. Who do you really root for, the Dolphins. In the seventies did you say the Bruins would be better if that prima donna Orr would just stay back and stop bringing the puck up. Did you say his astronomical +/- was a product of the defender on his line and not the other way around.  Thank goodness you were not in charge of the Bruins in the 70's or the Celtics in the 80's (Celtics would win more if Bird would dish it off more often to the open Chris Ford or Danny Ainge and stop trying to get his 25 points a night).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

NO

Top 5 O line in the league. Period.  Two great tackles, nice Center, two good Guards and some nice backups who can fill in anywhere.

Stop making excuses for Brady. They came out flat vs SF and Jax and paid for it.  Go ask Brady why he looks flat. There are plenty of times in these games where he's bobbing up and down in the pocket, scouring the field for 5-7 seconds and still gets hit because he's waiting for a route to open.

[/QUOTE]

It may be a top 5 oline in the league, but Brady is a top 3 QB. Both did not play well, those INTs were mostly Brady's fault.

However, JAX had 15 sacks coming into the game and got 3 on sunday. Brady was also under constant pressure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leonard15. Show Leonard15's posts

In the Divisional round in Devner the Broncos will tee-off on Brady and once again we come up empty handed since 2004. Another epic post-season fail and more proof that the magic of 01/03/04 is all but gone!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Yes.

But I am more concerned about Ghost, than I am about the OL. The OL figured things out against Houston. They did also in the second half against SFF. Tehy play well against good teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes.

But I am more concerned about Ghost, than I am about the OL. The OL figured things out against Houston. They did also in the second half against SFF. Tehy play well against good teams.

[/QUOTE]

I expect Ghost to miss at least one. The Pats can usually survive that but Baltimore, Denver and the Texans can all really get at the QB when their defenses are healthy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

NO

[/QUOTE]

It may be a top 5 oline in the league, but Brady is a top 3 QB. Both did not play well, those INTs were mostly Brady's fault.

However, JAX had 15 sacks coming into the game and got 3 on sunday. Brady was also under constant pressure.

[/QUOTE]

I do not think it is a top 5 o-line in the league. At least not the last couple of weeks when what is supposed to be the "real" starting five have been together again.  Three sacks by the 49ers was one thing (they average just over per game), but three sacks and nine QB hits by the Jags is a terrible performance (they literally have the worst pass rush in the NFL).

Not to mention the yards per carry have been down. I believe the Jets game was the last time the managed over 4.0 yards per carry as a team.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

4 straight weeks of Brady getting beaten up.

I wasn't overly concerned earlier because MIA usually gives us trouble, Watt is a beast, and that was a very good front 7 for the 49ers, but the Jags??? They have 15 sacks on the season,  they got 3 today...

We've seen what this offense is capable of when Brady has time. But we've also seen how it can struggle when Brady is under pressure (MIA, 1st half and two of the last three drives in SF, and today). This offensive line has had a history of not being at its best come playoff time. Also, what happened to the pass/run balance?

I still like the Pats chances of representing the AFC in the Super Bowl...but I'm starting to get a little worried that this team is falling into similar habits that have led to this team falling short in recent years.

Whether or not you trust Ridley, this offense is completely different when there is a running game to rely on, especially if the Oline continues to struggle.

[/QUOTE]

ive only been writing about it here since before last draft.

we are getting brady beat up unnecessaRILY and risking his career. i would have gotten help in the draft or fa.

next draft its crucial  (o line)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last 3 weeks Team Avg. 47 Pass Attempts. a GAME! Very Very hard for O-line to take that much abuse. The Coaching Staff better start realizing this. What did Mark Schlereth said, it feels good to do the punching instead being punched. Run the Ball more!! This O-Line must be tired and beat up, keep Passing like this and O-Line will be dead by time of Play-offs.

[/QUOTE]

could not agree with you more.

the way josh gameplans it does nto suggest teh threat of the run making an offense like our more dangerous, furhter it tells the other team to rear back and go for the qb on every play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^

The whole team hasn't been executing the last few weeks. The offense was a bit better against SF than  the D but, and vice versa against the Jags. 

The execution is regressing at a time when the team is usually peaking. 

Missing Gronk, who facilitates the running and passing game equally, is huge.

[/QUOTE]

if we had a good (better) o oline, we woudlnt need gronk to bnlock as much and teh offense woudl be better

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

It's the twists and stunts by the D-Line that seems to be baffling to the interior line.  A couple of times the Center went to assist a Guard too quickly, leaving a huge hole up the middle.

It's strange,  because the interior played great in the Houston game, and were complimented by the announcers