Anyone else concerned by Gostowski?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Anyone else concerned by Gostowski?

Great win yesterday but Gostowski is still struggling to hit field goals as consistantly as he usually does. Hopefully he can get it together before the playoffs.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Anyone else concerned by Gostowski?

I lost confidense in the guy the same time BB did, 2007 Super bowl.  At the beginning of the season I listed my 2 concerns as being 1-DB's and 2-Ghost.

Seems Talib has beefed up the back end.  Jet were afraid to throw at him and Dennard is learning the position well.

Yet Ghost is still regressing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Gost has shown some inconsistency, which is troubling, but I thought the hold was bad on that kick yesterday.  Seemed like the ball wasn't held straight up, but on a pretty steep angle. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

YES

I am done with it. Flat out unacceptable behavior It's a lack of focus.  He needs to adjust his "stroke", so to speak.

It's no different than a baseball player or a golfer, maybe a tennis player. He gets his distance from a longer kick stroke, but he needs to shorten the area from where he delivers the kick. In other words, in the contact zone, be quicker and shorter to the ball. It's not hard. He's not just taking it seriously, because he keeps doing it.

It would reduce the ridiculous lack of control. Last night, he simply over-kicked the ball.

Infuriating and unacceptable for the highest paid kicker in the league. It will also make BB make decisions to go for it when he shouldn't have to.

They've had kickers in for a look, but I think the only thing keeping him here is his touchbacks.

[/QUOTE]

As a kicker myself, I can tell you that there is a lot at play during a field-goal, and the sole blame shouldn't always fall on the kicker himself.

The hold has to be correct. Generally speaking, there should be a slight tilt on the hold, with the tilt being towards the holder.

In terms of shortening his stroke, that isn't necessarily the best idea either. You get your height and control from a solid follow-through. If you 'punch' the ball, you lose control and often the ball takes off at a lower trajectory. When I first started kicking, I did exactly what you were recommending -- I would 'punch' the ball. I had a shorter stroke, less of a follow-through, and I approached the ball at a sharper angle. I've since adjusted my stroke and approach. I now approach the ball more straight on (at less of an angle), and I now have more of a follow-through, and find that I'm getting more height and control on my kicks. 

It's easy to blame the kicker, and in most cases it is his fault, but it isn't always that simple. What exactly is wrong with Ghost? I don't know, but I still have faith in him. If it continues down the stretch then I'd start looking at FA's, but for now I'm okay with a 'wait-and-see' approach.

Perhaps he should visit kicking guru, Coach Zauner.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

yes. He has been consistent in previous seasons - but has missed some this season.  Is it in his head, his leg, or both?  I don't think he's been the same since ripping his quad muscle in his kicking leg. Shorter kickoffs and inaccuracy the result?

BB either drafts another kicker/punter this upcoming draft or picks up a different player in off season.

Just hope he doesn't lose a game for the team during the playoffs. Get the yips out of the way now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Count me in also. Evry time he lines up fo a kick, I immediately assume he is going to miss. If a game is ever on the line and it takes a field goal to either win or tie, BB should just go the the TD. I have no faith in this dude.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

I actually thought the kick was close enough to be called good

(at the very least it was as good as this season's Ravens gamewinner )

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

I'll be the first to admit that Ghost makes me nervous, and has for some time. But last night's miss wasn't his fault, or at least not all his fault. The biggest problem was that the hold was late, because the trajectory of the snap was too far to the right, causing the holder to have to make a big sweeping move to place the ball.

This was true even on two of the extra points, though not as egregious. It doesn't seem Ghost has the strongest mindset to begin with, so he really needs to have solid mechanics from the snapper/holder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I don't have much faith that he would be able to win a playoff game with a game winning or tieing fg. We need to think about making a change before it costs them a season. He's not there mentally.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

A change to what? All those pro bowl kickers just lying around ready to be had for cheap?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I lost confidense in the guy the same time BB did, 2007 Super bowl.  At the beginning of the season I listed my 2 concerns as being 1-DB's and 2-Ghost.

Seems Talib has beefed up the back end.  Jet were afraid to throw at him and Dennard is learning the position well.

Yet Ghost is still regressing.

[/QUOTE]

YES. This play kills me. Rather than kick the 47 yard field goal...BB went for it on 4th and 13. If you can't trust your kicker to make a 47 yard field goal indoors, why is he on the team?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

Infuriating and unacceptable for the highest paid kicker in the league.

[/QUOTE]

8th highest.

He's not having his best season, but I'm still good with him.  A 39 yarder is makeable, but not a chip shot; it was inches outside the upright.  He is 13/15 inside of 40 yards this season.

The only really bad miss he's had was the potential game winner vs. the Cardinals; a game that saw him go 4/4 on his other field goals, including 46-, 51- and 53-yarders.  He made up for it in my eyes with TWO clutch kicks vs. the Colts.

No kicker is going to make 100% of his kicks.  Even the great Adam V. has missed several clutch kicks in his career.  Ghost will be fine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Very concerned. I see a nightmare coming in Feb. TFB marches us down the field for the game winner, and Ghost botches it like he did aganst Arizona.

BB shoulda kept AV

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, then about 7 kickers must have gotten some raises in recent years, because before the 2010 season, Gostkowski's first contract post rookie deal, made him the highest paid kicker in the game at that time.

What is your source?

Here's mine:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/25/patriots-sign-stephen-gostkowski-to-four-year-14-million-deal/

[/QUOTE]

Nothing in there says he was the highest paid kicker at the time.  And he wasn't.  In fact, Sebastian Janikowski signed a 4 year/$16 million deal 6 months prior.

Base salary for 2012: http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/kicker/

Cap hit for 2012: http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/cap-hit/kicker/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

No. He missed a field goal, oh the horror.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Infuriating and unacceptable for the highest paid kicker in the league.

[/QUOTE]

8th highest.

He's not having his best season, but I'm still good with him.  A 39 yarder is makeable, but not a chip shot; it was inches outside the upright.  He is 13/15 inside of 40 yards this season.

The only really bad miss he's had was the potential game winner vs. the Cardinals; a game that saw him go 4/4 on his other field goals, including 46-, 51- and 53-yarders.  He made up for it in my eyes with TWO clutch kicks vs. the Colts.

No kicker is going to make 100% of his kicks.  Even the great Adam V. has missed several clutch kicks in his career.  Ghost will be fine.

[/QUOTE]

Well, then about 7 kickers must have gotten some raises in recent years, because before the 2010 season, Gostkowski's first contract post rookie deal, made him the highest paid kicker in the game at that time.

What is your source?

Here's mine:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/25/patriots-sign-stephen-gostkowski-to-four-year-14-million-deal/

[/QUOTE]

You want a source to backup the statistics that he laid out in front of you? Seriously...? Do you really think he made up all of that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Worried about Gost not really. He is still better than most in the NFL. Has been one of the more consistent kickers since he started.

He is 23 for 25 with all 5 from beyond 35. He is currently at his normal averages for his career. He has actually had two years worse than this year so far.

He is still better than Vinateri is and his numbers are as good as Vinateri's when he was here and most hated to see him go.

Sections
Shortcuts