Anyone Else Notice the Chemistry-Building?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Anyone Else Notice the Chemistry-Building?

I've listened to the conference calls with all the Patriots picks thus far and there's are all sorts of connections I'm seeing; I don't know if you guys have read about these elsewhere but this is the first I've heard of it. After what happened in the locker room last year (players laughing after division losses and other players packing it in mid-season), you'd think it was an emphasis for Bill this year.

Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes are best friends. Since Mayo is a hard-working player with high character, it has to say something about Spikes as well. I'm sure Bill spoke with Mayo and Urban Meyer in detail about Spikes character and work ethic. Mayo knows what's expected of Patriots players so I'm sure that went a long way in helping Bill make this call.

Then, you have the Spikes connection to Doc Rivers (he dates his daughter). I may be reaching here (then again, almost everyone on this board does) but if Rivers has met Spikes and spent time with him, I'm sure Bill would speak with Rivers to get a scoop on Spikes, the regular guy off the field.

Then, Spikes also roomed with Cunningham for some time at Florida so they're going to be coming in with each other.

If this works, it's got the makings of a very physical, intelligent defense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Anyone Else Notice the Chemistry-Building?

I have noticed that they are picking team leader types this year, that can also play well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Don't forget the school connection in McCourty and both McCourty and Price being very intelligent people (Price being a 4.0 GPA player) and not one major off the field issue while all the players are listed as hard workers that don't take a single play off. Wow talk about seeing how the locker room metality fell apart last year and drafting to fix this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

I think there is absolutely a connection building between the LBs and coach BB. 

im excited to these guys play. especially Spikes. I have been high on drafting him for 2 years. He is a champion, leader, and play making defender.  Much like McClain, but won't cost us our franchise lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Great thread, very good information! 

The locker room problem last year was very disappointing to hear about as the season went on.  Hopefully this won't be an issue this season and by what you point out on this thread is very good news.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

smart smart smart. McCourty, Gronk, and Price all extremely intelligent players who have legitimate skill. i cant wait for the spikes and mayo tandem! this draft has been great so far.  where are all of those who were complaining after thursday night now?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Drafting good characters is only half the battle ... we need to purge the locker room of the bad apples ... AD, Maryweather, Mcgowan, Maroney.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

Meriweather and McGowan I'd keep, getting rid of Thomas and Maroney, I'd be all for that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

How is Maryweather, Mcgowan, & Maroney bad apples...? This is the first i am hearing of this... Maroney has not panned out like we wanted but that doesnt make him a bad apple... There is a huge difference... Think a little before talking...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I noticed the link between Spikes and Cunningham.  I think it will be easier for them to adjust to being in a new city together.  I'd hate to show up by myself in a new, strange city where I didn't know anybody and a few guys thought I was there to take their job.

Also, I think the smart guys understand how things work and how to stay in line better than a dumber, more immature athlete.  They understand that they can be successful if they do what they're told because the coaches know what they're doing.  Furthermore, smarter people get along with each other better because they're more perceptive to the fact that their actions have consequences.

I also think that chemistry helps on the field in ways you can't imagine.  Yes, I played hard on every play.  Was I more effective my senior year of high school in fall 2005 playing for a Bishop Stang High School team where I was friends with almost everyone on the team than I was when I played for Old Rochester Regional High School in fall of 2004 on a team where the coaches favored the "popular" kids who went out of their way to demean me whenever they could?

F*CK YES.

I was willing to lay it on the line for every man in Maroon in Grey.  We also knew each other well enough so that we knew what each man was doing on each play.
    -> communication is better among friends. 
    -> film sessions are more fun and more manageable among friends
    -> lifting is more palatable among friends

While I only gave up two sacks that season playing right tackle as one of the fastest 10 runners in the SCC (yup, #20 in the 300m dash in the state, and I played right tackle so the jocks could play RB), I wouldn't back up 3/4 of them in a fight, and I didn't.  I was friends with the right guard and the center.  That's it.

Yes, I know I shouldn't talk about my playing days.  I'm NOT that big of a deal.  I'm just using my experience on two VERY different teams to highlight the importance of chemistry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from totalcarnage. Show totalcarnage's posts

With Cunningham and Spikes comming in together itll make the whole adjustment alot easier for them no doubt.The spikes connection to Mayo is huge too. i like it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I think were reaching a bit here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Kaczur was chemistry building with the oline.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

F*ck the draft.

I want to hear more of Nick's autobiography.Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone Else Notice the Chemistry-Building?:
    F*ck the draft. I want to hear more of Nick's autobiography.
    Posted by p-mike

F*ck you!  lol

I just wanted to speak on behalf of players who know what locker room dynamics are like first hand.

P.S. - where have you been?  We need as many reasonable voices as possible in light of all of the hooligans coming out of the woodwork this draft :-/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone Else Notice the Chemistry-Building?:
    How is Maryweather, Mcgowan, & Maroney bad apples...? This is the first i am hearing of this... Maroney has not panned out like we wanted but that doesnt make him a bad apple... There is a huge difference... Think a little before talking...
    Posted by Coolguy55220

My bad ... I saw Maroney tiptoeing up to the line like a little girl and noticed how it was turning all the other players into little girls so I posted without thinking. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Familiarity isn't quite the same thing as chemistry and/or leadership.

I think the familiarity will certainly help transition rookies to the pros, but that's as far as it will go.

Leadership was an issue by the end of last season.  BB has obviously told players like Wilfork and Mayo to state that they were committed to leading the team more actively this coming year. My guess is that was a deliberate move on BBs part to placate the media (and fans too).

Sections
Shortcuts