Anyone Else Wonder Who Abducted Our First Half Offense?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

Re: Anyone Else Wonder Who Abducted Our First Half Offense?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTPatsFan17. Show CTPatsFan17's posts

is there any truth to the rumor that Brady has elbow tendinitis on his right arm?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

If we start fast we seem to die in the second half. We can still beat most teams by producing for 2 quarters which is a little amazing and a testament to what the coaching staff has done to hold this team together through all of the injuries. I still think we are improving on offense and coming to realize what we do best. Weiss applied good pressure in the first half last night sending 5 guys on many occasions. We stuck to running the ball which is good because the running game usually pays dividends in the second half if you don't give up on it. But... To the point of the thread I'd like to see this offense be able to play solid for 4 quarters but I haven't seen that in while especially against the better defenses.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

King we did exactly what you and I wanted in the first half. They established the run first and foremost. That took a little bit to get going. That's not to mention that Brady has a bone bruise in his elbow. Those tend to restrict movement initially but as it loses up during the game less so. Hence why he seems to become more accurate as the game progresses.

To summarize:

• Established run game leading to better play action and opening up the passing game
    • Brady, bone bruise needs time to gain accuracy
    • End result is a great 2nd half O that dictates the game

I see nothing wrong with the O right now

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

It's all about the O-line.  Vollmer had a cover-your-eyes awful game.  His "ole!" on Hali's sack that forced the Pats to punt from their own end zone was one of the worst plays I've ever seen from an offensive lineman.  When they tried to run it in the first half (and they DID try), Benny got stone-walled for 0-3 yards... because the O-line was having a bad day.

You're on this kick about the spread set, and sometimes it has validity.  But last night had NOTHING to do with the spread.  The Pats offense couldn't do anything from any set in the first half, because the O-line couldn't block, either for the run or the pass.

On their first 3 drives (13 plays), Brady was in the shotgun exactly 3 times: on 2 3rd-and-8s and 1 3rd-and-7.  They ran 5 traditional runs with BJGE for 2, 3, 3, 4 and 2 yards.  Your perception of their offense in this game is wrong.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

To play that badly in the first half and still win the game convincingly is a good thing even against an inferior opponent. There's still time to get it right but to win in the playoffs the offense will need to play well for four quarters.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Are you pre-emptively calling me a liar?

I'll tell you what I was saying after those first 3 drives:  "Man, this line can't open ANY holes for Benny.  We need to mix it up."

What I was saying is they weren't IN a shotgun base!  Out of 7 drives in the first 3 quarters they only used it in TWO!  And one of them was the 2-minute offense at the end of the half!  The first 3 drives they didn't use it at all!

I'll say it slowly for you...  they... didn't... use... the... shotgun.

I would LOVE to see them pound the ball more.  But if the O-line isn't opening holes, it's banging your head against a wall.  Failing for 3 straight drives, and then mixing it up for one is exactly what they should have done.  Then they went back to a heavy set!  And it WORKED!

You asked why the offense got off to a slow start, and attributed it to the shotgun base.  You are WRONG.  They didn't come out in a shotgun base at the start.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone Else Wonder Who Abducted Our First Half Offense?:
    [QUOTE]Maybe.  He hurt that in the shotgun spread base forcing a ball, so that just proves how problematic the thing is. Did you notice when we used that last night, Brady was harrassed, sacked and had no pocke to throw from?  Gee, where have we seen this before? You see Vollmer abused by Hali, but that's because Hali doesn't have to worry about the run, obviously. Nor does he have to worry about much of anything.  It doesn't matter who on the O Line is abused. It could be Waters, Mankins, Light, etc.  Lining up over and over and over in that thing, especially with a slam dunk blueprint out is painful to watch. Unbelievable. When will it end? They get credit for going back to the traditional offense and for us to see Benny RUN ALL OVER THEM in the second half, as predicted every time this elephant in the room comes up, but they need to practice the base offense more and ditch this shotgun spread. We mess around like this next week on the road or in a playoff game, forget it. And it won't be about the D this year either. This is getting really, really old. What does the offense do all week long? 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

See this is the biggest problem with your arguments Rusty in that you just make stuff up i.e. "he hurt that in the shotgun spread forcing a ball".

For weeks you were on his case, completely unaware he was hurt.  Now you seem to know when he hurt it and that he was "forcing a ball".  Come on Man.  Oh and you can't hurt your arm throwing a ball from a standard formation???

Funny how the spread and no huddle was used exclusively in the second half of the Jets game and was THE REASON for the Pats win but now its junk this week. 

Newsflash -- Hali rushes the passer and disregards the run on pretty much every play, no matter what the formation. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone Else Wonder Who Abducted Our First Half Offense?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Else Wonder Who Abducted Our First Half Offense? : IN the 2nd qtr!! Are you ignoring what we are discussing here? For 3 straight weeks we came outin the Weis base only to ditch it by 2nd qtr! Your'e  not getting it.  DOn't force the crack pipe as a wrinkle before you get people touches! Not callingn you a liar. I want you to stop defending and spinning.  It's the concept of going away from the Weis base that is AS BAD as using the shotgun base. Did you notice how we didn't use the shotgun base out of halftime?  That's good. We need more of that, less of the 2nd qtr fiddlign with the crack pipe. Go back to the Giants game thread and you'll see me in there saying "NOO!" when O'brien goes into the shotgun base in the 2nd qtr. Note how we allow sacks, field position losses, poor clock management in the shotgun base! How can this be denied? Your premise is basically this: "We didn't run the ball well, so we should then try the shotgun base spread." Is this your premise based on the 1st qtrs of our team in the last 2 games or even 3 games? Answer this first and then we'll continue the discussion.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    So instead of lying, I'm defending and spinning?  I can't just honestly hold a different opinion than you?  Get over yourself.

I would agree with you if we went to shotgun on the second drive of the game.  Or the third.  Instead, we had THREE failed drives highlighted by truly horrible run-blocking from our O-line before we tried something different.  Mixing it up on that 4th drive isn't "abandoning" anything.  It's making an in-game adjustment.  Trying a different look doesn't mean you can never go back to a previous one.

I've said I agree with you.  I agree with you more often than not.  I hate when we come out in the shotgun to start a game.  I hate when we abandon a traditional offense too quickly.  I just don't think we did that last night.

This thread is about why the first half offense sucked.  It did not suck because we went away from the run game.  It sucked because our O-line sucked until mid-way through the 2nd quarter.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts