Anyone feel bad for Seymour, Vrabel and Cassel?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notanegativefan. Show notanegativefan's posts

Anyone feel bad for Seymour, Vrabel and Cassel?

I mean they could all still be on this team and contributing(except Cassel), but instead they are on the worse teams in the leauge. Its just kind of strange since they were Pats there whole career.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

Re: Anyone feel bad for Seymour, Vrabel and Cassel?

I don't feel bad for Cassel at all, he was a system QB (which he is demonstrating rather nicely in KC) and he got paid.  I feel bad for the Chiefs FO more so than for Cassel.

I truly do feel bad for Seymour and Vrable though.  Frankly Vrabel deserved better than this.  I understand that it's a business and that he was coming off of a bad year and had a rather large cap hit for his productivity.  That being said, he was a class act while in New England and I wish him the best in all of his future ventures.  It's unfortunate that at his age he won't have the opportunity to land a big contract that he has deserved, but passed up to remain with the Patriots and be on a winning team.

As for Seymour, he wasn't one of my favorite players on the team by any means and he had held multiple holdouts; however, I wouldn't wish going to the Raiders on anybody.  He has a chance to get paid next year though.  Good Luck Seymour!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Why would you feel bad for any of them. I feel bad we didn't get a little bit more in return trading Cassel and Vrabes to KC. I mean we did get pretty good value with the 34th pick after watching how the two of them are performing, but at the time I thought we should have gotten a few picks. Say first and third.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I wonder if those multi-millionaires ever feel bad for us.

I do wish we had been able to keep Vrabel in the stable instead of Crable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

These people put in their time and were rewarded with huge payday contracts, real money that they get to keep.  They are x-millionaires because they started with just the right team (or were picked up in Vrabel's case).  Cassel in particular could have been an undrafted rookie for, say, Oakland, and could have then washed out in training camp and had a nice job selling cars all his life because he hardly made a dime in the NFL.  Vrabel was cut by Pittsburgh once.  Seymour started with a good contract befitting a #6 pick.

Better a guy making $16 million a year on a 0-16 NFL team than a guy making $50,000 a year on a championship Canadian Football League team (or selling Chryslers).  Celebrate the end of the 0-16 with a big party!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone feel bad for Seymour, Vrabel and Cassel?:
    [QUOTE]Better a guy making $16 million a year on a 0-16 NFL team than a guy making $50,000 a year on a championship Canadian Football League team (or selling Chryslers).  Celebrate the end of the 0-16 with a big party!
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

In my experience, you can't really put a price on winning.  Sure there is a huge different between the 16M and 50K, but if it was between 2M and 16M I would take the 2M and a winner any day.  I've played on some bad teams where over the course of 2 seasons we won a single game, this season we're in the playoffs and just knocked off the #2 seed today.  Granted we aren't getting paid (College Rugby team) but it's alot more gratifying when you win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I feel bad for the 15 year old girl in California who got gang raped for 2 hours after a school dance. 

I don't feel bad for millionaire athlete's who are getting paid to play a game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]I feel bad for the 15 year old girl in California who got gang raped for 2 hours after a school dance.  I don't feel bad for millionaire athlete's who are getting paid to play a game.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

~I know this is sick and twisted to chuckle at...but Kmax's post kinda does put it all into perspective-homeless, starving, abused kids who don't have the energy to blink in order to get a malaria-ridden fly off of their eyeball, and RICHARD SEYMOUR's tearducts welling for a different reason: his sleep has been bad because his mansion is undergoing a northwest-wing expansion, his maserati is in the shop yet again (and his 2007 Benz is "too outdated"), his girlfriend just called hasseling him because they're running out of the red caviar, and finally That Morning, the owner of his new team called him a "fuddy-duddy" and threw machsticks at him (Seymour would later find out that Undead-Al-Davis was whacked-up off of ether in his latest attempt to cheat death)...   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

I know that I'm going to sound cold hearted in saying this, but I honestly don't mean to belittle rape.  I would like to point out however that things in life are relative to what we consider the norm for ourselves.  In Seymour's case, he was told he was moving out west going to a team that was one of the worst in the NFL over the past 5 seasons leaving behind one of the elite franchises over that time frame.  Point being, that Seymour's experience is also traumatic.  Again this is nothing compared to being raped, and I don't mean to belittle that at all, I'm just saying that our experiences are relative.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lastat. Show Lastat's posts

I understand and agree that things are relavint to the individual but come on Seymour didnt have this kinda of life always did he? NO, he understands and knows what reality is..and to be honest if he didnt hold out so often for bigger contracts he would most likely still be a Patriot..he has nobody to blame for being a Raider but his own greed, sorry I cant feel bad about that..live by the sword and die by the sword.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Yeah, I guess I have a hard time feeling bad for a couple of people with millions of dollars and a few SB rings! 

It is what it is.  Do I wish they were still Patriots? Sure - but I don't feel bad for them. 

There was no electricity or hot water in the trailer I shower in this morning!  Feel bad for me!!!  LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Possibly their immediate families feel bad for them but I don't even think their wives or girlfriends are complaining about the paychecks that are still coming in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"I feel bad for the 15 year old girl in California who got gang raped for 2 hours after a school dance.  
    I don't feel bad for millionaire athlete's who are getting paid to play a game."

As someone once said in a movie...
    "You see the padre on your way out...he'll punch your ticket"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

These are personel decisions not personal decisions. We all knew Cassel would struggle with a bad team ditto for Vrabal and Seymour. Granted these guys are getting huge paychecks, but their careers could be over in five years or less and I don't begrudge a player wanting a ton of money because their careers in the NFL are notoriously short. Vrabel could be done after this year. At some point the Pats braintrust has to eliminate the emotional element and make the right decisions for the franchise for the long term. They did. I wish the departed players luck and prosperity, but I don't feel bad about the decisions the Pats brass made.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]I don't feel bad for Cassel at all, he was a system QB (which he is demonstrating rather nicely in KC) and he got paid.  I feel bad for the Chiefs FO more so than for Cassel. I truly do feel bad for Seymour and Vrable though.  Frankly Vrabel deserved better than this.  I understand that it's a business and that he was coming off of a bad year and had a rather large cap hit for his productivity.  That being said, he was a class act while in New England and I wish him the best in all of his future ventures.  It's unfortunate that at his age he won't have the opportunity to land a big contract that he has deserved, but passed up to remain with the Patriots and be on a winning team. As for Seymour, he wasn't one of my favorite players on the team by any means and he had held multiple holdouts; however, I wouldn't wish going to the Raiders on anybody.  He has a chance to get paid next year though.  Good Luck Seymour!
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

A system QB? What exactly is that supposed to be?

I feel bad for cassell because he's on a crappy team with no o-line to protect him. I also feel bad for vrabel because he deserved better than being sent to a botom feeder, we could have used him here and I can't believe the deal wouldn't have happened without him.

Sey I have no sympathy for. He was dogging it here for the last two years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

By system QB I mean a QB that is able to work effectively within a given system, but outside of that system he is not nearly as productive.

Example: Kyle Orton of the Broncos.  He was a part of the offensively dreadful Bears teams, and spent a good amount of time as a backup there because he couldn't out perform Grossman (although he did have 15 starts in 2008). http://www.nfl.com/players/rexgrossman/profile?id=GRO597298

In Josh McDaniels system (the same one Cassel thrived under) Orton's passer rating has rocketed up 20 points. http://www.nfl.com/players/kyleorton/profile?id=ORT716150

You could take the easy way out and blame it on the receivers in place, but lets take a look at how Jay Cutler is doing in Chicago compared to his career marks. http://www.nfl.com/players/jaycutler/profile?id=CUT288111 Jay's Rating has only dropped 3 points since moving to Chicago.

So what we see here is a 17 point difference in passer rating that is not accounted for by the change in receiving corps in a 5th year player.  The most logical explanation for this change is the system in which Orton is playing, transitively Cassel is a system QB.  His passer rating has dropped 16 points, his TD/INT ratio has changed (from 21-11 to 8-5).  http://www.nfl.com/players/mattcassel/profile?id=CAS541133
    We'll know more about Cassel after next season once he has learned the system he's working in, but at this point, with what we have to go on, it seems apparent that he is a system QB who benefited from the likes of Moss and Welker.  KC already has Bowe to take over the Moss role, now they need to find a Welker.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]By system QB I mean a QB that is able to work effectively within a given system, but outside of that system he is not nearly as productive. Example: Kyle Orton of the Broncos.  He was a part of the offensively dreadful Bears teams, and spent a good amount of time as a backup there because he couldn't out perform Grossman (although he did have 15 starts in 2008). http://www.nfl.com/players/rexgrossman/profile?id=GRO597298 In Josh McDaniels system (the same one Cassel thrived under) Orton's passer rating has rocketed up 20 points. http://www.nfl.com/players/kyleorton/profile?id=ORT716150 You could take the easy way out and blame it on the receivers in place, but lets take a look at how Jay Cutler is doing in Chicago compared to his career marks. http://www.nfl.com/players/jaycutler/profile?id=CUT288111 Jay's Rating has only dropped 3 points since moving to Chicago. So what we see here is a 17 point difference in passer rating that is not accounted for by the change in receiving corps in a 5th year player.  The most logical explanation for this change is the system in which Orton is playing, transitively Cassel is a system QB.  His passer rating has dropped 16 points, his TD/INT ratio has changed (from 21-11 to 8-5).  http://www.nfl.com/players/mattcassel/profile?id=CAS541133 We'll know more about Cassel after next season once he has learned the system he's working in, but at this point, with what we have to go on, it seems apparent that he is a system QB who benefited from the likes of Moss and Welker.  KC already has Bowe to take over the Moss role, now they need to find a Welker.
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

I think "system QB' is an overworked cliche. Its synonymous with "good team".

If you replaced the word "system" with the phrase "good team", in your post, the meaning would not change a bit.

Was cassel doing better playing for a good team in the pats than he is now in KC? absolutely.
    Is cutler doing better playing for the bears than he was in denver? NFW.
    Is orton doing better playing for a good team in denver instead of the bears? absolutely. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

The point is that Cutler isn't playing worse in Chicago on a team with a worse supporting cast, while Orton is playing better with the weapons Cutler used to have.  The other difference between these two teams is the offensive system, which McDaniels implemented in Denver with great success so far.  This is the same system that Cassel came from in NE and now he isn't performing as well outside of that system.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

Of course there is a relationship between QB play and if a team is good or not, but that relationship is lead by QB performance with team success as a result.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm GLAD for Vrabel.  Instead of getting cut by us, and having to sign a minimal contract, oh, and us taking the cap hit, he got PAID his 5 million dollars.  And he is free to leave, or be traded, later.  5 million is alot of bucks, and 3 superbowl rings are already in the safe at his house.  Cassel got what he wanted, a chance to start, and a bunch of money.  Seymour, well, he enjoyed talking brash, he was leaving anyway, and Al Davis will pay him big money later.  Also he has the rings.  So no, I dont feel bad.  AND our defense is better.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

P.S. My eyes told me last year that Cassel is a good QB, and can do well if he has good pieces around him.  He was killiing it the last half of the season.  So KC did ok, they just need some work or maybe a better coach.  Josh McDaniel would have done good with him in Denver.  And all QBs are "system" QBs, just some of them, like Farve and Cutler, the system is "try this and if it doesnt work, run around and do whatever you want, if you heave a stupid interception its ok, because you are super wonderful".  Not my kind of system there.  TB was considered a "system" QB his first few years.  Worked ok for me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

I'm not knocking system QB's, I mean winning is winning.  That being said there is a difference between an elite QB such as Brady and a run of the mill system QB.  Brady has worked under many different systems and has excelled, where as Cassel has had success under a single system and starting doing terrible once he left that system.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

You're kidding, right? Hard to feel sorry for anyone making million$ playing pro sports.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Look, every job has it's downsides. How many people are transferred by their companies to places they really don't want to go? It happens all the time. And most of us aren't making tens of millions of dollars when we're shipped to Dubuque or wherever. The NFL ain't high school, it's work. Playing NFL DL or LB is a job, and jobs have various downsides. One of the downsides of being a pro athlete is being traded. If you don't like that, choose another job . . . . 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not knocking system QB's, I mean winning is winning.  That being said there is a difference between an elite QB such as Brady and a run of the mill system QB.  Brady has worked under many different systems and has excelled, where as Cassel has had success under a single system and starting doing terrible once he left that system.
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

That's my point. You can also say that cassel started doing poorly when he started playing for a poor team, with no weapons, no protection and no defense. 

Sections
Shortcuts