Anyone Starting To Believe We Might Have A Really Good Defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Anyone Starting To Believe We Might Have A Really Good Defense?

The last two games our defense has played solid against two teams with talented offenses.  Our defense isn't dominating like the Ravens, Jets, Steelers, but we has some good speed on it and they're young, and clearly they young players are learning the system.   Our secondary and pass rush is still a concern, but if we continue to play the run like we have the last two games and we stay healthy, we're going to be in every game.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Anyone Starting To Believe We Might Have A Really Good Defense?

On the "really good defense" I wouldn't go that far yet.  It looks promising though.  Seems to be a better tackling team for sure.  That is something that this team hasn't had in a while now.  While we seem to be doing okay without Ty Warren the Pats do miss Bodden.  Bummer.  Arrington is getting picked on but he looks like he has a lot of fight in him.  Unlike Butler who looked completely lost at times. CB is going to be a problem down the road.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I am not there yet, and I tend to be a glass half full type.  I do believe they are not as bad as the numbers suggest, and that they will probably trend toward the middle of the pack at season's end.

The secondary, or CB more specifically, needs someone to show that they know how to cover in key situations (i.e. 3rd down).  I know they lost Bodden, Wheatley is hurt, Butler, Arrington and McCourty are young, etc.  For this D to approach "good", there needs to be some improvement there. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

yeah if we had bodden or butler plays better. holding the dirty birds to three yards a carry was great dough

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

They look very good, considering they started 4 rookies . Deadrick,Cunningham, Spikes, and McCourty. The front seven could become a dominate unit, Cunningham could be the answer to the pass rusher, he has a high motor as does Spikes. Lots of upside potential there. Corners , time will tell, they look like a deer in the headlights on one play and all pros on the next, which is actually encouraging, shows they don't look in the rear view mirror, and they stay positive, credit the coaching staff keeping them motivated. Safeties look solid, Chung could be all pro , in a year or two. All in all they have a very bright future. IMHO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotway1. Show patriotway1's posts

A really good defense? No, the Patriots have a defense in the works. Peolpe ar estarting to stand out such as CHUNG! (I had my doubts about him last season but he as been a huge upturn)
    J Cunningham looks like he will be a very good player, if BB can add another to play with him then the Patriots will have what could be constant pressure on the QB.
    Wilfolk is huge, again if BB can add a few more components to this defense, then they Patriots will have a very good defense, but thankfully they seem headed in the right direction, and yesterday proved they are getting better.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

the makings of a very good defense, maybe. if we use those high picks on defense again, bodden and warren come back healthy, the young players continue to grow, and we sign some good veterans...this could be a top defense in 2 years. right now we are rebuilding on the fly, and doing a pretty darned good job of it all things considered. every other team seems to bottom out and then rebuild other than maybe the steelers who seem to be able to reload on the fly as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Their a long way and a few players from being really good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

They're no longer a 'long way' from being really good but they may be a player or two away from being a GREAT defense. Come December they will have enough time together and if BB addresses any shortcomings in the draft they could be the top D in the league by the 2012 season. I know this doesn't satisfy the instant gratification crowd but tough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone Starting To Believe We Might Have A Really Good Defense?:
    [QUOTE]Their a long way and a few players from being really good.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

When it counted down the stretch they were pretty good. Flacco isn't chopped liver either.  On the flip side they had forgettable moments earlier in the game, one of which was that catch the TE caught delaying over the middle.....wide open.....both linebackers shifted to the viewers left (outside) and the TE ran what looked like a mini post shifting to the viewers right (inside).  Stuff like that gets fixed watching film.

If they were bad the would have lost in OT..but they held them three times ..not to mention that three and out right after the tying FG.  Lots of teams would have lost it right there. 

Anyone figure out why they let the clock run down to /16 right before OT...had they had a few more seconds they may have had the one (or two ) extra plays to attemp the FG instead of the hail mary.  Anyone remember this?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

W.I.P...  Week to week.  I like to watch it comeing together though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

They are well on their way to becoming a really good defense. Sometimes they play like what they are: young and inexperienced. Other times, mostly in the last two games, they have showed flashes of greatness. I think they will be much, much better and consistent by the end of the season with more experience playing in the NFL and together as a unit. In the next couple of years there is a good chance they will be a top defense. Some players are really coming around and it seems as if almost every defensive pick in the last two years is beginning to play very well. I haven't given up on Butler yet, either.

I really don't know what to make of them right now. During the first half of last game I remember noticing Flacco was 20/23 with over 200 yards and two TDs, but they made up for it in the second half. They still have some major issues they need to fix, but after yesterdays game they could have more confidence and swagger.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

No, I believed they were the best defense in the NFL from the beginning.  Sunday we got the proof.  Every other defense in the NFL gives up a field goal on the first possession in overtime.  Ours forced punts over and over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Grow you own Killa

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I disagree, I think we have a darn good defense. When you consider all the rookies an second yr players and they shut down the (supposedly) top defense when it counted most, in OT. Next yr at this time they will be the top D.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

21st overall so plenty of room to improve statistically, but they've come a long way in toughness, speed to the ball, and hitting people again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm going to say they have the possibility of being great this year.  They get better each week.  The Ravens were a challenge, and although they were scary at times, this has been a function of Patriot defenses that were considered "great".  Its a system that seems to get run over, then stops.  Problem last year and early this year, they didn't stop.  I'm seeing a good foundation here.  Hopefully the Offense can do a better job getting a lead early to protect them a bit more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They looked very good against the run yesterday, particularly after the first drive of the game. I think the jury's still out on whether they can defend an elite passing attack though.  The Ravens aren't the best test of that. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

They are starting to "Get it".....let's just hope that Merryweather decides to start tackling with his shoulder pads and not his helmet......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Some of us believed in this defense all along. They are playing much better than I thought they would be playing at this point in the year and I have to admit that even I'm impressed how well they've progressed. 

Can you imagine next year's defense? New Dynasty coming to New England really soon! 

Can't wait for Warren and Bodden to come back. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm starting to think we are getting better. Cunningham is an upgrade and I can't wait to see him at the end of the year. I'm a lot more optimistic this year than I was last year.We should be pretty good by Playoff time if we keep improving at this rate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

They gave up 76 yards on 21 plays from the start of the 4th quarter to the end.  That speaks to the youth of this squad, it was the achilles heel the last few years, trying to hold the lead.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

some of us knew they had to potential to become better, baltimore was a statement game by shutting down the run, now they need to work on the passing.

it just got terrible though with all the gloom and doom dolls on here crying and whining like girl scouts that the defense suckked every five minutes. and then to see them posting the same crap over and over on the game threads is another sign they're nothing but trolls and pink hatters 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Just finished re-watching the game and really pleased with our D stepping up. Growth is there for all to see, not there yet but we all knew it was going to be a work in progress and it is, but the progression is very visible.
    I am a huge fan of Cunningham and I have sung his praises on other threads, however one great "play" he made was key. On the Ravens last attempted drive in O/T, McClain (33) was flagged 15 yards for pushing our #96 over. It was a result of something #96 said to him and the #33 Bird lost it. That really killed whatever hope that drive had. Exciting times ahead.

Sections
Shortcuts