Anyone still think Wes Welker is not important to this Team and it's future.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Anyone still think Wes Welker is not important to this Team and it's future.

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Welker nine catches today for well over a hundred yards on top of a very good game last week. Anyone still think we should replace him with Edelman ? His last three games, 22 catches for over 350 yards. Yeah he must be getting old. BULL

Hetchinspete

[/QUOTE]

I love Welker as a player, but I question keeping a slot guy around at max dollars when your base set is 2TE.

He had a great week, but he is almost a spare part when Hernandez is healthy. 

They would be better off, (IMO) using that money toward a competent backup for Hern and a quality outside WR.

Welker is awesome, but really, going down the road ....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Anyone still think Wes Welker is not important to this Team and it's future.

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why would you trade Welker for Revis?  Revis can't play offense!!  Other then Brady, Welker makes this offense go!!

Only reason you would want to trade Welker is if you don't want to see the SB again.

[/QUOTE]

So, folks like Gronk and Lloyd and Ridley and Bolden don't make the offense go?

Revis does play D; coincidently, in an area where the Patriots are arguably at its worst.

[/QUOTE]

Another appropriate response would be that the defense is terrible compared to the offense. New England would be served well getting rid of one offensive star for a defensive star. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

At his point though, I think the talent at WR would be very thin without Welker.  I think you'd have to replace him with someone with wideout speed and quickness. As great as the TEs are, they aren't quite as fast as true wideouts (not even Hern), and having that speed keeps defenses honest. They can't completely ignore the deep game and focus on the TEs.  I think Welker was a big part of the reason the Bills stuck with the nickel defense even though they were getting burned by the run.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

At his point though, I think the talent at WR would be very thin without Welker.  I think you'd have to replace him with someone with wideout speed and quickness. As great as the TEs are, they aren't quite as fast as true wideouts (not even Hern), and having that speed keeps defenses honest. They can't completely ignore the deep game and focus on the TEs.  I think Welker was a big part of the reason the Bills stuck with the nickel defense even though they were getting burned by the run.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Jints how can you say that offering a guy 16M guaranteed for 2 years as a low ball? How much would you offer him if you were in that position?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

What we are seeing is a guy that is on the same page as Brady. He would not be worth as much on any other team. Welker could play 5 more years here, 3 anywhere else, but seriously he's got to come down a bit on his price.

Branch is another example of someone getting his carreer extended becasue they could be trusted to run routes just as Tom expects.

Not saying Wes' skills have gone down much..a little..if not being able to catch the ball quite as consistantly as he used to is a sign of that. Next to go will be not getting separation as easily.

The Pats will have to look for a precise route runner / on the quick side / does not have to be big in the draft over the next few years..these guys lurk around round 4-7, should not be too hard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

When WELKER isn't on this team anymore we'll all see what a difference it will be in this offense. Brady won't have his bread n butter when they need those crucial first downs, on the road, in hostile environments.  Their timingtogether is like no others!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice thread. It's laughable to think that people think you can replace him with Edelman..the guy was as good as anyone on the field today.

[/QUOTE]

ive not met those who think that, but it sure looked to me that bb was looking to see if he couldl make that happen for next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hrm this is a hard question to answer. Are we talking with or without Hern on the field truthfully. If Hern is on the field and Fells shows he can handle being the 2nd TE next to Gronk then Welkers importance is minimized. However, if Fells can't perform as the #2 TE or Hern isn't on the field then Welkers importance increases. Short of Hern there is no one who can replace Welker, however, that 9mil can be better spent in other places if Hern is healthy and on the field

[/QUOTE]

good post.

however i will add to your line of thought, bb made shiancoe his short term return ir player that we are allowed (1). so it seems to follow the thought you posted above.

i too, beginning last year, said i think bb might improve the team more by spending 10 mil elsewhere (this year and or next)

we'll see what he does when hern and edelman get healthy (whether he reduces welker's role to see if he has something he can use to replace welker next year-which seemed to be what he was doing before these injuries).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm with you on that. Welker is very good but he's not going to be the reason they win the Super Bowl . they haven't won with him in the 5 years that he's been here and you could say that he cost the Patriots last years Super Bowl. Again , I'm saying welker is a very good. 31 year old slot receiver, that's  what he is, a slot receiver playing with a great qb. I'm all for running Ridley all day. 

[/QUOTE]

exactly

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why would you trade Welker for Revis?  Revis can't play offense!!  Other then Brady, Welker makes this offense go!!

Only reason you would want to trade Welker is if you don't want to see the SB again.

[/QUOTE]

So, folks like Gronk and Lloyd and Ridley and Bolden don't make the offense go?

Revis does play D; coincidently, in an area where the Patriots are arguably at its worst.

[/QUOTE]

Another appropriate response would be that the defense is terrible compared to the offense. New England would be served well getting rid of one offensive star for a defensive star. 

[/QUOTE]

i agree with your last 2 posts adn have been sayng such since last year

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When WELKER isn't on this team anymore we'll all see what a difference it will be in this offense. Brady won't have his bread n butter when they need those crucial first downs, on the road, in hostile environments.  Their timingtogether is like no others!  

[/QUOTE]

if bb chooses to try  edelman or  hern to fill a loss of welker andit does not work, many have been of teh mind that amendola could be an option- much cheaper.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It may sound like a crazy trade, but if it were possible to trade Welker (I don't know all the rules), why not trade for Revis?  The Jets desperately need a WR and the Patriots eventually need to shore up the secondary.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

not now not ever Bub, torn acl and a rotten attitude makes him not Patriot worthy.