Apologies to Ron Borges

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Apologies to Ron Borges

I've been a big critic of ol' Rotten Ron over the years. But this time, I owe him an apology. I had previously chewed him out when he alluded to Jermaine Cunningham using performance enhancing drugs, in one of his earlier report card segments. Sadly, Borges was right...and he called it nearly a couple of months in advance of the current Cunningham suspension. My bad, Ron. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Apologies to Ron Borges

TP, given his increase in size and sudden increase in production and also given the current climate in sports it was really a 50/50 shot Borges took. as JR said he threw something against a wall and this time it stuck. It just so happens this one was much more likely then others when you really take a step back and look at all the factors:

• Bubble player going into camp
    • Contract year
    • Bust label being thrown around potential leading to a short career
    • Increase in mass and speed
    • sudden increase in performance

Really if you think about it Cunningham had nothing to lose so the odds were in Borges favor that he was right

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TP, given his increase in size and sudden increase in production and also given the current climate in sports it was really a 50/50 shot Borges took. as JR said he threw something against a wall and this time it stuck. It just so happens this one was much more likely then others when you really take a step back and look at all the factors:

• Bubble player going into camp
    • Contract year
    • Bust label being thrown around potential leading to a short career
    • Increase in mass and speed
    • sudden increase in performance

Really if you think about it Cunningham had nothing to lose so the odds were in Borges favor that he was right

[/QUOTE]

All true. Nonetheless, Borges deserves some credit for calling it as he saw it, being the first to call it, and calling it right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I was frankly suspicious when I read Cunningham had reported looking bigger and stronger this year. That's always a red flag.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

You do a really good Ron Borges impersonation.  You both hate BB and the Pats with passion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Here's the part that is a bit troubling.  I love BB as much as any Pats fan, but BB could see what we all saw.  JC came to camp huge.  The likelihood was that JC cheated in some way.  BB went out of his way to compliment JC's offseason work ethic.   When one of the most respected coaches in the NFL can have "plausible deniability" it shows how far the NFL will have to go to clean up its act.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

You do a really good Ron Borges impersonation.  You both hate BB and the Pats with passion.

[/QUOTE]

You've been a busy little bee in just 3 weeks Rusty.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's the part that is a bit troubling.  I love BB as much as any Pats fan, but BB could see what we all saw.  JC came to camp huge.  The likelihood was that JC cheated in some way.  BB went out of his way to compliment JC's offseason work ethic.   When one of the most respected coaches in the NFL can have "plausible deniability" it shows how far the NFL will have to go to clean up its act.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't it possible that Cunningham was both working hard, and using PEDs? How is one to know which is responsible for his apparent increase in size and strength?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What percentage of players do you think are on PED's?  I would say a lot! Coaches know this, owners know this, but what do you expect them to do or say when one of their players looks bigger and/or improves?  Are they supposed to say I think he's on PEDs?  No, of course not, they pretty much have to go along with the drug testing policy and hope guys don't get caught, yet treat them as if they aren't using. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Borges alluded to Cunningham putting on a bunch of weight as if he was on steroids, addaroll has nothing to do with that, so no he wasn't right he was just casting a wide net with zero proof.  

If he accused Cunningham of using cocaine would he also have been correct?  By the way about 100% of the NFL use some form of steroid or growth hormone when nobody is looking...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Borges alluded to Cunningham putting on a bunch of weight as if he was on steroids, addaroll has nothing to do with that, so no he wasn't right he was just casting a wide net with zero proof.

If he accused Cunningham of using cocaine would he also have been correct?  By the way about 100% of the NFL use some form of steroid or growth hormone when nobody is looking...

RESPONSE: What proof do you have "that 100% of the NFL use some form of steroid or growth hormone when nobody is looking"? Or, is this merely the latest gossip circulating in the hallowed halls of the Ostrich Society?

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Ron Borges is an idiot, he writes so many foolish things that he is bound to get something right once in a while.

His argument for not having Gronk in on extra points was so crazy.  The odds of a player getting hurt on an extra point is so freaking small that it doesn't matter.  Unfortunatly, it happened. What bad luck!  He blocks great why not have him out there since he is already out there. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: What proof do you have "that 100% of the NFL use some form of steroid or growth hormone when nobody is looking"? Or, is this merely the latest gossip circulating in the hallowed halls of the Ostrich Society?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow tex, have you noticed a change in the make up of players from 70's on?  Not coincidentally this change in the players mirrors the advent of steroids during the same period... or do you think people naturally evolved to the point they weigh 320 pounds but still run 4.5 forty times...

By the way you're a plumber and you blow out your ACL at work, but you're covered by your health plan so guess what the doctor will prescribe to make you heal... steroids.  

The question isn't whether the players take steroids, the real question is why we should care?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Nope Ron is still wrong. He blindly threw out something in the preseason and three months later Cunningham got busted for Adderall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Ron Borges is a plagarizing d0uchebag. I dont even read the fool. He got caught stealing columns from other writers and he should not be employed by any major Boston papaer. For him to break the rules of his own profession, get caught, then write about palyers breaking the rules and talk sh!t about them is the ultimate in hypocrisy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow tex, have you noticed a change in the make up of players from 70's on?  Not coincidentally this change in the players mirrors the advent of steroids during the same period... or do you think people naturally evolved to the point they weigh 320 pounds but still run 4.5 forty times...

RESPONSE: Err...weren't steroids banded and tested for at the turn of the century? So...what does what happened in the 70s , 80s, and 90s have to do with anything? 

By the way you're a plumber and you blow out your ACL at work, but you're covered by your health plan so guess what the doctor will prescribe to make you heal... steroids.

RESPONSE: No...I'm not a plumber. But, I have a cousin who is. What's your point? How does this prove that 100% of the NFL players use roids when no one is looking? Is it that important to you to try to minimize what Cunningham did, in true homer fashion...by making the claim that everybody does it?  

The question isn't whether the players take steroids, the real question is why we should care?

RESPONSE: No. You stated that all NFL players (100% means all) use 'roids. I asked if you had any solid evidence to back this up. THAT is the question. Evidently, you have none...other than personal observations made from the irrelevant 70's, 80s, 90s, to now...when 'roid use has been outlawed.  Thank you for usual homespun, homer input. 

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Have blown out both of my ACL's and was never prescribed steroids to help me heal.  I am not a plumber. Maybe that's the difference.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I wouldn't say 100% of the players use some type of PED but I'm under no illusions that plenty do that just have not been caught or may never get caught. 

The testing policy used by the NFL leaves alot of room for taking the risk.  I'm sure for some players the risk is well worth the reward.  Some guys may not be playing if it weren't for PED's.

Of all sports, football is probably the most competitive when it comes to strength and speed.

Some players are instructed to bulk up in the off-season.  That's not to say they're told to use steroids to achieve that but alot of players making that transition from college to pros may have to get bigger, stronger and faster to compete or even make the team.  That goes for every team.  

So, believe me if you don't think that every team dosen't have players on it that are using some kind of PED you're naive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from laxnpats. Show laxnpats's posts

Was it even steroids?? The way bill talked it didnt seem that serious. PEDs dont have to be steriods take adderall for exampe it s PED but doesnt make you bigger physically. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Hoan about giving me some credit.  I accused Borges of being a plagarist and I was right.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You've been a busy little bee in just 3 weeks Rusty.

[/QUOTE]

Accusing Mighty of being Rusty?  Way off.  9 times out of ten he gets banned for telling Rusty to F off.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Let me think, I can take testosterone/aderral/HGH/designer steroid x and make myself, bigger, stronger, healthier and better able to: (a) make the roster, (b) withstand the rigors of an NFL season and (c) increase my chances at making significantly more money for my family, and way more likely than not, never get caught and if on the off chance I do, get off with a minimal suspension as a first time user, hmmm, tough call.

If anybody thinks that the vast majority of players in the NFL (and MLB, NHL, NBA, etc.) aren't using something, you are fooling yourselves.  Guys like Cunningham and Talib and Bolden were just careless enough or unlucky enough to get caught.  Just look at these guys, do you think you can achieve that sort of mass with whey protein shakes? Get real.

I maintain that the NFL should embrace this stuff and make it as safe as possible. There's clearly a benefit to using it, it makes them better football players. Don't we want better football players?  I think team doctors should be prescribing the stuff and making sure it's taken properly.  Same with baseball and other sports. What's wrong with it?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think you owe me an apology as well. I remember you jumping down my throat for saying JC certainly looked like he gained 25 #s of muscle and I wouldn't doubt he is on the juice.

I'll wait for your sincere response!

Sections
Shortcuts