Apparently Reiss doesn't think BB is the greatest GM of all time.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Apparently Reiss doesn't think BB is the greatest GM of all time.

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to digger0862's comment:

How many of us are claiming that BB is the greatest GM of all time? History will decide that. Compare him to his peers and he is as good as any of them.

There are just a handful of teams including New England that manage better than others. Only one of them can win the super bowl. That isn't to say those handful of teams that didn't win it are doing something wrong which is what Babe is trying to tell us.

Or maybe Babe is just trying to get Rusty's goat.

Your last sentence says it all. Then, it's a gathering place for irrationals.  Just look at the top 4 or 5 responses. Babe,  Mt Hurl, TCal, Pezzy. All have raging man lust for Brady and think he's ben great in his last 3 AFC title games or in general very good in the postseason since 2007, with absolutely no accountability for his play.

What do any misses in a draft have to do with Tom Brady channeling Jay Cutler in SB 42, 46, AFC title games, vs the Jets looking like a deer in the headlights or completely unprepared?

Answer? Nothing!

Just utterly sad. The greatest GM of the cap era, and thus of all time, being mocked by Pats fans because Brady has choked in recent postseason games.

When BB steps down, I feel bad for the poor sap who has to sit in that seat. Going to be a long, long, long way down.

Finally, Reiss didn't start watching football until the early 1990s and just started learning about the finer points of the game until he got his job at the Globe or ESPN, too.

He's certainly a long, long way from a historian on the game.

Can you show me where I posted any love for Brady, SLIMEBALL?

BB is criticized because he has been trying to replace Assante with 106 failures,  A receiving core with 7 out 0f 7 BUSTS as picks and trading down for value for players that don't last 2 years in the NFL, for drafting oft injured players and don't even get me started on the Failed FA's and all the dead money and wasted roster spots that could have been MUCH better players.  That is why!  It has nothing to do with TOM F'N BRADY, you sick troll!

Pathological liar, delusional and paranoid schitzo is not a good combo.  Get HELP!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Babe is like Lars in that movie Lars and the Real Girl. Except the sex doll isn't a female, it's Tom Brady.

You're like Bobby Trippe in "Deliverance". You get abused so badly here each day I almost feel sorry for you. But not really.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Finally, BB does agree with my football opinion apparently. He signed Adrian Wilson and Tommy Kelly.

I'm sure he agrees the dreaded shotgun spread must go as you have proclaimed. Oops, guess he didn't hear that brilliant nugget from you dumbkoff. You are a waste of space here fool.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

maybe part of his legacy is due to a little bit of lady luck and Brady

to be fair most great legacies in the NFL and really in Life owe something to luck somewhere at some point

this doesn't diminsh the hard work, talent, creativity, abilty or even the ability to recognize good fortune and benefit from it but to deny it's existence or to deny the idea that everyone hasn't had someone in their lives at some point propel them forward or give them a hand up is untrue and not realistic

only Rusty and a few of his dwarves actually think Bill Bellichick was born as a successful GM and HC and ordained by Moses at Mt Sinai to deliver the Patriots!

Smile

Funny, I've asked many to name a better GM in the cap era with the better resume. No one can do it.

Why is that?

Case closed.

inherited great players from Parcells, has Tom Brady, plays in AFC Easy

case open  :  )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

case open  :  )

Very.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Can you show me where I posted any love for Brady, SLIMEBALL?

BB is criticized because he has been trying to replace Assante with 106 failures,  A receiving core with 7 out 0f 7 BUSTS as picks and trading down for value for players that don't last 2 years in the NFL, for drafting oft injured players and don't even get me started on the Failed FA's and all the dead money and wasted roster spots that could have been MUCH better players.  That is why!  It has nothing to do with TOM F'N BRADY, you sick troll!

Pathological liar, delusional and paranoid schitzo is not a good combo.  Get HELP!

His sickness is unmatched in the annals of football boards. Worst fool I have ever seen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

When asked about some of the poor decisions made over the years Reiss replied....

"I think what is most frustrating for many is that these defensive issues are the same things we've been talking about for the last few years"

"What I would propose is hiring a consultant like Jimmy Johnson".

"I think the drafting can be better"

"I think some of the recent personnel moves warrant scrutiny."

(quotes from ESPN)

it seems to be heresy to poitn out any mistake or shortcoming in judgement or prgram re bb. kind of like not noticing if the king is nto wearing any clothes. thankfully someone has the intergrity to observe what is and have an opinon that maybe bb is human liek everyone else. and maybe him trying toi do it alonoe is a weakness to teh organization. somethigh ive talked about for years. the best thing for bb and the patriots woudl be to have a whole organization, wiht elite gm, scouts, staff and coaches top to bottom. he would be less of a monolithic figure but woudl be beter off fro it as woudl that pats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

agree with some of babes point in original post (and reiss) and some of mthurls post about soem of brady's playoff perf's. havent got to the rest of the posters yet. perhaps durign the week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well I think he's no better and no worse than anyone else...he's made mistakes over the last five years that I think cost us a Super Bowl, but he is the best coach I've ever seen. I think this whole organization has gotten caught up in the "we are smarter than you" mind set, when they really aren't. Brady has given them all huge egos and false senses of security, without him we'd be in the same boat as everyone else. I imagine little Jonathan Kraft will find that out soon enough.

RESPONSE:

Yes...all GMs make mistakes. You're absolutely right about Brady's greatness, and BB's greatness as a coach, camoflauging his drafting mistakes. Check out this graveyard list of high draft choices that BB has squandered since 2006:

RB Laurence Maroney (21st overall, 2006), WR Chad Jackson (36th overall 2006), TE David Thomas (86th overall 2006), S Brandon Meriweather (24th overall 2007), CB Terrence Wheatley (62nd overall, 2008), LB Shawn Crable (78th overall, 2008), QB Kevin O'Connell (94th overall, 2008), SS Patrick Chung (34th overall, 2009), DT Ron Brace (40th overall, 2009), CB Darius Butler (41st overall, 2009), WR Brandon Tate (83rd overall, 2009), LB Tyrone McKenzie (97th overall [pick, 2009), DE/LB Jermaine Cunningham (53rd overall pick, 2010), WR Taylor Price (90th overall pick, 2010), CB Ras-I Dowling (33rd overall pick, 2011), SS Tavon Wilson 48th overall pick, 2012), and DE Jake Bequette (90th overall pick, 2012).

How many years has it been now that the Pats have been trying to fix their secondary? The homers here bash me because I am critical of BB's drafts. But, if you're a true fan of this team, how can you not be critical?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'd put a lot of the blame on the scouting staff.  That's their one job after all.

As did I, initially. But, BB runs the whole show. Several years ago I called for the revamping of the scouting department. As far as I know, no changes have been made. If the scouts aren't getting it done...can them, and find guys who can.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

to be fair most great legacies in the NFL and really in Life owe something to luck somewhere at some point

this doesn't diminsh the hard work, talent, creativity, abilty or even the ability to recognize good fortune and benefit from it but to deny it's existence or to deny the idea that everyone hasn't had someone in their lives at some point propel them forward or give them a hand up is untrue and not realistic

only Rusty and a few of his dwarves actually think Bill Bellichick was born as a successful GM and HC and ordained by Moses at Mt Sinai to deliver the Patriots!

Smile

Funny, I've asked many to name a better GM in the cap era with the better resume. No one can do it.

Why is that?

Case closed.

From Adam Schein at NFL.com.  It's a pretty subjective opinion, of course, but many would agree with Schein that Newsome has been the best GM in football for quite some time:

The reason the Ravens are a contender every year is that they back up a great coaching staff with the best front office in the NFL. Ozzie Newsome is the best general manager in football. He's been doing it at a high level for a long time, building teams that produce double-digit win totals, make the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl, year after year. Newsome believes in building through the draft and supplementing via free agency. It's clearly a philosophy that works. And Newsome also believes in surrounding himself with bright people and creating dialogue. Eric DeCosta has been Newsome's right-hand man for years, formerly as the stellar head of college scouting and now as the powerful assistant general manager. They work incredibly well together, forming the best 1-2 front office punch in the NFL, and bright football people/scouts want to work for them. Many teams crave a chance to make DeCosta their general manager, but he has legit power with Newsome, and owner Steve Bisciotti makes sure he's happy. Speaking of Bisciotti, he is fantastic. He's created a stable environment that's conducive to success.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

By the way, you'd be crazy to say BB is not a good GM.  His brilliance is in assembling teams that work together well, even if all the individuals aren't top players.  I've always thought BB's particular genius is his flexibility--his ability to adjust his schemes to fit the players he has and to find players who will complement the other players on his team if he makes the right adjustments in scheme.

Where BB can be questioned as a GM is:

1. Talent evaluation--I think he's good, but given some of the major misses, it's hard to say he's clearly at the top here.  

2. The value strategy--this approach has both upside (ability to create good depth, flexibility to move players in and out without having significant cap problems) and some downsides (lack of top talent at some positions and sometimes big holes in even mid-level talent at certain positions).  I remain distinctly undecided on the value strategy--seeing both good and bad in it and not really having enough data to make up my mind one way or the other.  I cannot say, however, that the case is closed on this.  There are lots of question marks and it is possible to argue that the value approach is the reason the Pats have stayed remarkably competitive for so long but also the reason they haven't been able to dominate in the playoffs in nearly a decade. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Smile

Why is that?

Case closed.

From Adam Schein at NFL.com.  It's a pretty subjective opinion, of course, but many would agree with Schein that Newsome has been the best GM in football for quite some time:

The reason the Ravens are a contender every year is that they back up a great coaching staff with the best front office in the NFL. Ozzie Newsome is the best general manager in football. He's been doing it at a high level for a long time, building teams that produce double-digit win totals, make the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl, year after year. Newsome believes in building through the draft and supplementing via free agency. It's clearly a philosophy that works. And Newsome also believes in surrounding himself with bright people and creating dialogue. Eric DeCosta has been Newsome's right-hand man for years, formerly as the stellar head of college scouting and now as the powerful assistant general manager. They work incredibly well together, forming the best 1-2 front office punch in the NFL, and bright football people/scouts want to work for them. Many teams crave a chance to make DeCosta their general manager, but he has legit power with Newsome, and owner Steve Bisciotti makes sure he's happy. Speaking of Bisciotti, he is fantastic. He's created a stable environment that's conducive to success.

Subjectivity noted but Schein makes a pretty fair case.  Now, given his criteria you can make that very same case for Belichick: building teams that produce double-digit win totals, make the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl, year after year
    Is that not what Belichick has done since he got here?  No, I am not suggesting that BB is better than Newsome; only that if the criteria is applied the Pats meet it as well.

I'd also add that if we add the ultimate criteria: SB appearances/won in the last 10 years, BB comes out on top.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Smile

Why is that?

Case closed.

Subjectivity noted but Schein makes a pretty fair case.  Now, given his criteria you can make that very same case for Belichick: building teams that produce double-digit win totals, make the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl, year after year
    Is that not what Belichick has done since he got here?  No, I am not suggesting that BB is better than Newsome; only that if the criteria is applied the Pats meet it as well.

I'd also add that if we add the ultimate criteria: SB appearances/won in the last 10 years, BB comes out on top.

Sure, I'd agree with that. All I'm arguing against is the hyperbole.  BB has done a very good job, but there are a number of other good GMs around too who have done comparably good jobs. Newsome is one, but Thompson, Reese, Colbert, etc., have done pretty well too.  And in judging BB as GM you need to take into account his bad moves as well as his good ones.  You also have to consider the fact that he has (in my opinion) the league's best coach working for him and one of the league's top QBs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Smile

Why is that?

Case closed.

Sure, I'd agree with that. All I'm arguing against is the hyperbole.  BB has done a very good job, but there are a number of other good GMs around too who have done comparably good jobs. Newsome is one, but Thompson, Reese, Colbert, etc., have done pretty well too.  And in judging BB as GM you need to take into account his bad moves as well as his good ones.  You also have to consider the fact that he has (in my opinion) the league's best coach working for him and one of the league's top QBs.

Absolutely agree.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Bottom line when all is said and done BB will go down as the best coach of all time and a great GM regardless what a writer thinks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Yet another thread hijacked and turned into Brady bashing by the village imbecile. Some things never change.

Lets see as of the post to which I am responding, you have posted 13 times on this thread to Rusty's 5 and have more posts than anyone else.  Who's hijacking what? 

You have an agenda that is completely contrary to Rusty's, yet you possess the same personality as Rusty.  Everyone gets your agenda and baiting ways.  You are fooling no one. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well I think he's no better and no worse than anyone else...he's made mistakes over the last five years that I think cost us a Super Bowl, but he is the best coach I've ever seen. I think this whole organization has gotten caught up in the "we are smarter than you" mind set, when they really aren't. Brady has given them all huge egos and false senses of security, without him we'd be in the same boat as everyone else. I imagine little Jonathan Kraft will find that out soon enough.

RESPONSE:

Yes...all GMs make mistakes. You're absolutely right about Brady's greatness, and BB's greatness as a coach, camoflauging his drafting mistakes. Check out this graveyard list of high draft choices that BB has squandered since 2006:

RB Laurence Maroney (21st overall, 2006), WR Chad Jackson (36th overall 2006), TE David Thomas (86th overall 2006), S Brandon Meriweather (24th overall 2007), CB Terrence Wheatley (62nd overall, 2008), LB Shawn Crable (78th overall, 2008), QB Kevin O'Connell (94th overall, 2008), SS Patrick Chung (34th overall, 2009), DT Ron Brace (40th overall, 2009), CB Darius Butler (41st overall, 2009), WR Brandon Tate (83rd overall, 2009), LB Tyrone McKenzie (97th overall [pick, 2009), DE/LB Jermaine Cunningham (53rd overall pick, 2010), WR Taylor Price (90th overall pick, 2010), CB Ras-I Dowling (33rd overall pick, 2011), SS Tavon Wilson 48th overall pick, 2012), and DE Jake Bequette (90th overall pick, 2012).

How many years has it been now that the Pats have been trying to fix their secondary? The homers here bash me because I am critical of BB's drafts. But, if you're a true fan of this team, how can you not be critical?

Fans come in two flavors. The mindless zombie type, and the real fan. Real fans criticize what is obviously harming the team. And there is NO QUESTION these many many poor draft choices have hurt this team. There is no question also that if the drafting had been better, the dynasty would have continued and the accomplishments would have paled anything the NFL has ever seen before. If more fans had grumbled over the years probably adjustments could have been made.

So, don't blame BB. Because ultimately it's the zombies fault.

Yes zombies, YOU caused our fall from grace!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Yet another thread hijacked and turned into Brady bashing by the village imbecile. Some things never change.

Lets see as of the post to which I am responding, you have posted 13 times on this thread to Rusty's 5 and have more posts than anyone else.  Who's hijacking what? 

You have an agenda that is completely contrary to Rusty's, yet you possess the same personality as Rusty.  Everyone gets your agenda and baiting ways.  You are fooling no one. 

Are you completely daft troll? Do ya think the creator of a thread might respond to the participants in the thread he created? DO YA THINK? Your level of cluelessness rivals the village imbecile's.

I am fooling no one? As if a hated troll is going to speak for those who despise him. LMAO@U troll.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Bottom line when all is said and done BB will go down as the best coach of all time and a great GM regardless what a writer thinks.

Don't count on that. Time has a way of stripping away the BS and allowing only a hard look at the facts. The facts are that BB the GM after 2004 and the aging of his inherited defensive stars has a record much more like Levy than Lombardi.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to bredbruu's comment:

agree with some of babes point in original post

What's funny is that I didn't make any points. I simply offered some quotes from Reiss. Yet trolls prance in and want to shoot the messenger. If BB himself told them he has made far too many poor draft choices, they would want to string HIM up!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

BB has come close to nailing his D Line picks (Jones, Wilfork, Dreaderick) and O Line picks (Solder, Vollmer, Mankins Cannon) and LBs (Hightower, Mayo, Spikes) one is the soul of the defense, the other is the soul of the offense. I think there have been deficiencies in the past in drafting DBs (Wheatley, Hobbs, Wilhite etc...) . In the past most would have extended that criticism to WRs, but the acqusition of Welker and drafting of Hernandez and Gronk offsets misses in Jackson and Ocho. Obviously with Dobson and Boyce the jury is still out. I also think BB has done a good job drafting or signing (Law Firm) or acquiring RBs; I like Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Washington, and Blount.

The 2013 draft sees BB flying in the face of his critics by drafting WRs and DBs who he believes will help his team. I will refrain from any criticism until I see these kids play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

IMHO - there is a lot of luck in the drafting process.  If that many good players drafted actually made a difference to the team that drafted them, why is it the teams that routinely draft high every year hardly seem to make it out of that position?  Pats are always in the bottom of the draft order and compete year in and year out.  Seems too many folks look for a "name" draftee, who generally comes with a high price tag, versus what BB may be looking for - a player who can be a great team fit at a price the Pats want to pay.  It is about team and not about the one player or two.