Aqib Talib and the AFC contenders.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Aqib Talib and the AFC contenders.

I have not watched enough tape of Talib, but the first thing I thought of when we got him was NYG. Didn't watch the game, but I do know both Cruz and Nicks went off on the bucs defense.

THIS GUY IS NOT A SHUT DOWN CORNERBACK.

That being said, he doesn't need to be. There are 5 teams (1 being the pats) are almost virtually a lock for the playoffs. Next to them, I've listed their top 2 receiving threats.

Baltimore- Torrey Smith, Anquan Boldin

Houston-Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels

Steelers- Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace

Denver- Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker

Don't expect Talib to shut down guys like Thomas, Brown, Wallace, and maybe Andre...but outside of these guys, those teams don't have strong receivers.

Talib doesn't need to be great, he just needs to not suck

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Aqib Talib and the AFC contenders.

One could argue there are no shutdown corners in the NFL. If there are then they are just a handful. Good QBs and their receivers are going to get their yards. I don't care who's covering them. That said, Talib should be a good signing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Well, the defense clearly needs some help w/ either pass coverage or pass rush - glad BB is taking a chance.  Only time will tell if the deal is helpful or not.

I would have preferred a DE/OLB who could have met Jones productivity, but this will do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Good point, he doesn't have to be great...he just can't suck. When you think about it, we have been winning with guys that DO suck, so getting a guy that doesn't would be a boost this team hasn't had on defense in a while.

I really think for this defense to be at a level that will win us a Super Bowl a couple of things will need to happen. For one we will need Hightower to be a guy that can do multiple things for us...rush, cover and be a big run stuffer on the edge. I also think we will need someone to be able to pass rush from the inside - they wanted Fenene to do it - it didn't happen, I think if Pryor could do it, it would be huge. They needed a corner...hopefully they have one now. And they need Dennard to play like a second round talent, because all these second round secondary players haven't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

I have not watched enough tape of Talib, but the first thing I thought of when we got him was NYG. Didn't watch the game, but I do know both Cruz and Nicks went off on the bucs defense.

That being said, he doesn't need to be. There are 5 teams (1 being the pats) are almost virtually a lock for the playoffs. Next to them, I've listed their top 2 receiving threats.

Don't expect Talib to shut down guys like Thomas, Brown, Wallace, and maybe Andre...but outside of these guys, those teams don't have strong receivers.

daPats, every time I've seen him play, he has impressed me as a big corner who can both play physical and cover. It's just that he's a world-class d!ckk.

Hopefully, being around the Patriots organization...

We'll see.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

Well, the defense clearly needs some help w/ either pass coverage or pass rush - glad BB is taking a chance.  Only time will tell if the deal is helpful or not.

I would have preferred a DE/OLB who could have met Jones productivity, but this will do.

Any news on Andre Carter;-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

Any news on Andre Carter;-)

he signed with oakland wasnt it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I wouldnt base Talibs whole body of work on one game. After all in that game he had 8 solo tackles and 4 passes defensed. We have CBs that dont have 4 PD's all year! Also Manning threw for 394 of his 510 yards on blitzes. Quick releases, can't put all that entirely on the DB's. Might not be a hsutdown corner but I think he is an upgrade over what we have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

I wouldnt base Talibs whole body of work on one game. After all in that game he had 8 solo tackles and 4 passes defensed. We have CBs that dont have 4 PD's all year! Also Manning threw for 394 of his 510 yards on blitzes. Quick releases, can't put all that entirely on the DB's. Might not be a hsutdown corner but I think he is an upgrade over what we have.

ding diing ding! we have a winner.

hes the best corner on our team instantly.

and may help us win a sb if we keep him out of trouble.

so i wouldnt p@@ p@@ it too early.

man i didnt know p@@ was such an offensive word......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

I think that is the point... He is an upgrade (skill wise at least) over the guys we have been putting out there. He cannot practice with (or even report to) the team until after the Buffalo game. My only concerns are that he is in good enough shape after five weeks off and can learn the defense fast enough to contribute.

Sections
Shortcuts