Are Lions Prepared to Tell Stafford/Condon to Take a Hike?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Are Lions Prepared to Tell Stafford/Condon to Take a Hike?

Throughout today, there have been rumors/articles stating that a contract agreement between the Detroit Lions and QB Matthew Stafford/agent, Tom Condon, is imminent. That the Lions have decided to go with Stafford, and are ready to shell out as much as $40mil. in guaranteed money.

However, some long lost/misplaced sanity appears to have befallen Lions' management. It has just been reported that the Lions have agreed to terms with LB Aaron Curry...and have given Stafford and Condon til Friday to accept their terms. If this is true, I congratulate Lions' management, and the long suffering Lions' fans: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/source_lions_have_aaron_curry.html.

The only thing better for Lions fans now would be for management to cut off further negotiations with Condon, and make Curry their #1 overall selection.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Are Lions Prepared to Tell Stafford/Condon to Take a Hike?

Apparently Curry has expressed an interest in signing for less in order to be the No. 1 pick for some perceived marketing benfit. My question is this: Whether or not Mathew Stafford has the goods to deliver the Lions from their perpetual abysmality (I'm pretty sure I just made that word up), can Detroit sell it's fans hope for the future in the form of an above average linebacker?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Mike:

You ask:

"Apparently Curry has expressed an interest in signing for less in order to be the No. 1 pick for some perceived marketing benfit. My question is this: Whether or not Mathew Stafford has the goods to deliver the Lions from their perpetual abysmality (I'm pretty sure I just made that word up), can Detroit sell it's fans hope for the future in the form of an above average linebacker?"

Read the comments below the above cited article in my original post. Lion fans are overwhelmingly in favor of this move, and for bypassing Stafford in favor of Curry. Even if Stafford has "the goods", is it worth $40mil. in guaranteed money to find out? 

Curry supposedly is willing to sign for less than the Dolphins paid 2008 #1 overall pick Jake Long, last year. Besides, aren't you perhaps selling Curry rather short by referring to him as an "above average LB"? He may turn out to be just that. But, his has all-pro potential. 

Which is the greater risk, money wise and talent wise...Stafford or Curry? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

He said publically that he was willing to take less than what Long got last year. They would have a great group of LBs, Julian Peterson, Ernie Sims, and Aaron Curry. Would there be a better group in the league?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

What pains me about this whole thing (well . . .  not really) is that no matter what the Lions do, you just know it's gonna blow up in their face.

You just know it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]What pains me about this whole thing (well . . .  not really) is that no matter what the Lions do, you just know it's gonna blow up in their face. You just know it.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! Could be. But, if they make a mistake on Stafford, that would set them back at least another 4-5 years.

Last year, I had a strong belief that QB Matt Ryan was the real deal, and would become a very good NFL QB. Why? Because I like his size, his strong arm, that he was pretty consistent, and the fact that he played so well at BC without much of a supporting cast on offense.

I don't have such a belief regarding Stafford. Hes' relatively short (6'2"), has a great arm, has been inconsistent. Despite having a supporting cast that included RB Knowshon Moreno and WR Mohamed Massaquoi, he only was a good college QB. He doesn't seem to be able to carry a team. 

To pay a guy that you have doubts about a guaranteed $40mil., is too great a risk.      

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The problem is that unless Curry is the best linebacker in the NFL they are getting ripped off. Curry at number one for Jake Long money makes him the richest linebacker in the NFL.

It is going to be A.J. Hawk all over again if he isn't elite-elite, with disgruntled fans feeling like a very good linebacker is somehow underperforming because he is getting paid so much.

Not that I am endorsing Stafford, but taking a QB or OT or DE up there makes a little more sense, because $11-12 million per season isn't a freakish salary. If Stafford is inked for $12 million it won't be bad if he just turns out to be only a  "good" QB and not world beating, because the salary isn't out of line in a league where the best QB's take up $15-20 million in cap space.

If either player busts, they are done.

I think they are nuts to be honest. Now one of the OT's I could understand, but Curry is no better a prospect than Pat Willis or Mayo. Or A.J. Hawk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I still think they get Stafford signed.

I can't see the Curry thing as more than a leverage ploy unless he is dead serious about a bigtime discount.

I imagine the Lions are offering Stafford a contract like Matt Ryan's, and Stafford's agent is saying "what?!?!?!" because Stafford is a #1 overall. My gut tells me they will get it hammered out though. Every pick that Stafford drops loses him millions, and none of the teams directly beneath the Lions are in dire need of a QB. St. Louis, big maybe. The Seahawks might, but with a healthy Hasselbeck and surprising Seneca Wallace, they could go elsewhere.

Stafford stands to lose too much money to play games, and I don't think the Lions can be thrilled with taking a Lber at #1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

All I keep hearing is that Seattle is drooling over Sanchez, which I suppose makes sense if you believe Hasselbeck is nearing the precipice (he is) and that Seneca Wallace is no answer (he isn't). But if Detroit doesn't take Stafford we might see another Aaron Rodgers scenario where Stafford plummets out of sight and the entire first round looks nothing like what anybody has forseen to this point.

To me, this would be the best thing that could happen for people like me who watch the draft merely for entertainment purposes. I like to see weird stuff happen. I like to listen to the Human Haircut backpedal furiously (although he rarely does).

All that said, my two cents is that the Lions brain trust is stupid if it doesn't work out a deal with and select Jason Smith. Stafford is not the goods and Curry doesn't offer enough bang for the buck and Detroit would be better served to build some interior strength (on both sides of the ball) and look for their quarterback next year, when more and better qb's will be available.

Either that or I am entirely wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]...if Detroit doesn't take Stafford we might see another Aaron Rodgers scenario where Stafford plummets out of sight and the entire first round looks nothing like what anybody has forseen to this point. To me, this would be the best thing that could happen for people like me who watch the draft merely for entertainment purposes. I like to see weird stuff happen. I like to listen to the Human Haircut backpedal furiously (although he rarely does). All that said, my two cents is that the Lions brain trust is stupid if it doesn't work out a deal with and select Jason Smith. Stafford is not the goods and Curry doesn't offer enough bang for the buck and Detroit would be better served to build some interior strength (on both sides of the ball) and look for their quarterback next year, when more and better qb's will be available. Either that or I am entirely wrong.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Mike:

The problem with negotiating with Smith is that he is represented by the same group of agents as Stafford.

That said, I agree with the idea that negotiating with DT BJ Raji, or a top OL like Monroe or Andre Smith, makes more sense than signing Curry.

But, this is all academic. The Lions' management wants Stafford, and will reach a deal with him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Are the Lions prepared to tell Stafford/Condon to take a hike? Apparently not. Rumor...and I stress RUMOR, has it that Stafford will sign for an insane $80mil. deal, with $40mil. guaranteed: http://www.faniq.com/blog/Matt-Stafford-Will-Sign-With-The-Detroit-Lions-For-80-Million-40-Million-Guaranteed-Blog-22694

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Tex:

For what it's worth, I think Sanchez will have a more productive NFL career then Stafford. I watched most of SC's games last year and he (Sanchez) has talent, more so IMO than Stafford. Over the long haul I'll take Sanchez. A little bit more mobile & a better passer IMO. Conjecture yes, but, isn't all this anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Of course Sanchez will be the better pro. Makes better decisions, more accurate, more consistent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]     Throughout today, there have been rumors/articles stating that a contract agreement between the Detroit Lions and QB Matthew Stafford/agent, Tom Condon, is imminent. That the Lions have decided to go with Stafford, and are ready to shell out as much as $40mil. in guaranteed money.      However, some long lost/misplaced sanity appears to have befallen Lions' management. It has just been reported that the Lions have agreed to terms with LB Aaron Curry...and have given Stafford and Condon til Friday to accept their terms. If this is true, I congratulate Lions' management, and the long suffering Lions' fans: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/source_lions_have_aaron_curry.html .      The only thing better for Lions fans now would be for management to cut off further negotiations with Condon, and make Curry their #1 overall selection.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/24/lions-staffords-the-guy/
    well it looks to be stafford.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/24/lions-staffords-the-guy/ well it looks to be stafford.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

No real surprise.

Sections
Shortcuts