Are Patriots Just an Afterthought in the AFC East?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Are Patriots Just an Afterthought in the AFC East?

At least one sports publication thinks so...as it has ranked the Patriots 3rd in their division, behind the Jets and the Dolphins: http://www.athlonsports.com/pro-football/19254/nfl-2010-afc-east-wrap-up 

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Are Patriots Just an Afterthought in the AFC East?

To the publications, we are an after thought.  I dont think I have read any that show us winning the division.  Most have us in 2nd or 3rd.  However, I think that will be different in reality.  I think it was 2007 that Miami was predicted to win the division, we all saw how that went.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Is CappersAccess just an afterthought in the world of sports publications?  At least one writer seems to think so:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9687Discussion%3a25c3764f-81ba-4687-93e6-1211d3e0d7a8

Thoughts?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

If I had started a thread with that title, I would have been killed for it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Are Patriots Just an Afterthought in the AFC East?:
    Is CappersAccess just an afterthought in the world of sports publications?  At least one writer seems to think so: http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9687Discussion%3a25c3764f-81ba-4687-93e6-1211d3e0d7a8 Thoughts?
    Posted by themightypatriotz

LOL!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Good, I'm glad the Patriots aren't the sexy pick anymore.  The roster turnover and youth may actually be a good thing moving forward.  Everyone wanted to hand the Pats the division not too long ago; I'd rather be the underdog any day of the week.  Let Ryan and the Jets get all of the preseason hype, who cares. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

A. publication or no publication...anyone who says the pats are an afterthought is on some serious meds
    B. anyone who picked miami to win the division in 07 was also, very...very heavily medicated...aj feeley scared no one who's opinion matters

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

The Pats need to sign T.O. otherwise they may just end up in 3rd place in the AFC east.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

The Pats are a tough team to judge right now.

- Last year Brady looked human espeically in the 2nd half. Was it injuries, play calling, rust from missing a season, age?

- Running game while good in-consistent during some games, plus injuries and Maroney's fumbling issues late in the season?

- Welker's status, Moss another year older, how will Torry Holt play this year, then the youngsters?

- TE how will veteran Crumpler and the rookies fare this year?

- Oline how will Vollmer hold up in his first full year as starter, plus the age of Light and Neal both with injury problems last year, then the Mankins situation?

- D-Line can the Pats replace Seymour?

- Linebackers questions on just about every spot other than Mayo?

- DB's, how will young Butler and McCourty do at CB, who will win the SS spot?

- Coaching how will O'Brien do year 2?

So a lot of questions and a young team too boot. Still never underestimate BB and Tom Brady. If Brady is on his A game this season the Pats will win the division.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Are Patriots Just an Afterthought in the AFC East?:
         At least one sports publication thinks so...as it has ranked the Patriots 3rd in their division, behind the Jets and the Dolphins: http://www.athlonsports.com/pro-football/19254/nfl-2010-afc-east-wrap-up           Thoughts?
    Posted by TexasPat3

Last time we were an afterthought was the first year we had a Super Bowl win. I'm good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

The Pats need to sign T.O. otherwise they may just end up in 3rd place in the AFC east.
    Posted by Grogan77

PLEASE!!!!!!!! You are not serious.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearsacup. Show hortonhearsacup's posts

like I have said on the patriots threads before I  am a steelers fan, but I would say that it would definately be a mistake to underestimate a team coached by bill belichek and led by Tom Brady. the jets definately have a good team but lets remember that now that Mark Sanchize is a second year players those turnovers, will get him ripped in new york he is good leader , but  he is about half as good as brady at this point in his career and to sign some of these big names ,the jets had to replace one of the best guards in history with a rookie, and let's not even bring up a team lead by chad henne . So relax who cares who these so called experts pick to win the divisions it matters who wins the big one and the pats have as good of a chance as any team out there

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

Since Belichick became coach the Patriots have had some of their best years when going into a season as an "afterthought". I think that this year will be no different. With all of the youth and another draft next year with multiple early picks, the Patriots are going to improve every year. The 2009 draft looks to be a very good draft for the Patriots and though we wont know for some time, the 2010 draft has potential to be even better. Heard the same thing before the 2003 season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Good, I'm glad the Patriots aren't the sexy pick anymore.  The roster turnover and youth may actually be a good thing moving forward.  Everyone wanted to hand the Pats the division not too long ago; I'd rather be the underdog any day of the week.  Let Ryan and the Jets get all of the preseason hype, who cares. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

It's funny though, because most of the articles saying the Pats will fall list age as a reason. However, they all mention that the team is too old, specifically on defense. If they had any clue they would know the Pats are now extremely young, especially on defense. The only old defensive players I can think of are Banta-Cain (29), Burgess (31), Warren (29), and Damoine Lewis (32). I only see two players over 30 on the defense, and the older guys like Wilfork and Bodden are at a prime age of 28. These "experts" have been saying the same thing about the pats for the last three years, while missing the youth they've added to the team.

Yes, it does seem like the Pats are an afterthought. I see it as a good thing because now they have something to prove. It's what happens at the end of the season that counts, not the media hype before training camp.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

These guys think the Pats are finishing 3rd because we are rebuilding.

So the Dols and the Jets are not rebuilding?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think not, they are atill the team to beat in the AFc east 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

NE's scr#wed...  Some writer from Athlon Sports gave NE's gave NE's O-Lineman a "B" Grade, While NYJ's O-Lineman are an "A-" Grade; NE's Secondary is a "B" Grade again, While NYJ's Secondary is another "A-" Grade; NE's Receiving corp is even lower at a "B-" Grade, While The NYJ's Receiving corp gets another "A-" Grade...  Finally, Even NE's Coaching staff can't hole a candle to The Jet's Coaching, As NE gets a "B+" for Coaching, while NYJ's get a solid straight "A" for Coaching.  Honestly guys, As some of these we NE's former strong suits, And so with even GREATER grading descrepancies in favor of the Jets elsewhere, Idk... It's a dim, dim outlook for us fellas...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I like the "they won five of their last six games"  The writer forgot to include that the Colts and Bengals laid down or the Jets are not even in the playoffs.  Even Rexy was saying so.

Also, how much drama can a team stand?  Rexy has a high-risk, high-reward approach that does not last over a period of time, even defined by a season.  What will happen with a second-place schedule inwhich they play a pretty tough AFC and NFC North.  can they withstand the highs and lows?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

In Response to Are Patriots Just an Afterthought in the AFC East?:
         At least one sports publication thinks so...as it has ranked the Patriots 3rd in their division, behind the Jets and the Dolphins: http://www.athlonsports.com/pro-football/19254/nfl-2010-afc-east-wrap-up           Thoughts?
    Posted by TexasPat3

My thought is that Tom Brady needs to come out and have an unbelievable season to shut everyone up.  Otherwise, people will keep talking.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

like I have said on the patriots threads before I  am a steelers fan, but I would say that it would definately be a mistake to underestimate a team coached by bill belichek and led by Tom Brady. the jets definately have a good team but lets remember that now that Mark Sanchize is a second year players those turnovers, will get him ripped in new york he is good leader , but  he is about half as good as brady at this point in his career and to sign some of these big names ,the jets had to replace one of the best guards in history with a rookie, and let's not even bring up a team lead by chad henne . So relax who cares who these so called experts pick to win the divisions it matters who wins the big one and the pats have as good of a chance as any team out there

A team led by Chad Henne...really? Wasn't that same 23 year old Qb that beat the Pats last year? He's going to torch that Patriot "secondary" ..but I'm sure you'll be asking yourself the same question..a team led by Chad Henne did this?
    Posted by hortonhearsacup

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Are Patriots Just an Afterthought in the AFC East? : He throws on some level headed commentary from time to time so he can  play troll during others.
    Posted by russgriswold

i rock a sweet marlins hat day after day...but for the life of me...i cant figure out why you are so content to rock your dunce hat day after day after miserbale day?!?!?!?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The Pats do not have to be favorites with the media pundits to win the division, the AFC or the SB.  They just need to be our favorite team.

We revel in the team being the favorites when they are picked and grumble when they are not picked.  Who cares what Vegas or all the talking heads think?  Name a year in which picks made this early, before training camps break, that they have been right across the board?  Nothing but hunches and opinions.  Don't let this stuff get your undies up in a bunch!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Are Patriots Just an Afterthought in the AFC East? : Last time we were an afterthought was the first year we had a Super Bowl win. I'm good.
    Posted by gmbill

correction...it was at the start of the season when they won their second sb. remember, they did not even get in the playoffs on the just-concluded season.  either way, i'm like you...fine with it.

i am even fine with them winning ugly, unimpressive games on  most of their first eight games, if that's what it takes for them to be disrespected. wasn't that chip on the shoulder that drove that the team to win the first two?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The media gets distracted by anything shiny and new.  That's not the 2010 Pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

I wonder if any of the writers actually watched or followed the Pats last year to understand what they went through;   They had a horrible overall effort by the WR/TE groups They had injuries to their 1st and 2nd RB's They had the youngest D BB has ever coached at NE They had a first year OC calling plays-ugggg!  And...they had Tom Brady coming off a surgery all this and they still win the division and TB has his second best season Are we the only ones to see this misguided hype for the Jets and the Phins? Are we the only ones to see what happened to the Pats last year and how they corrected it? Is the hype all about selling seats at those venues?  I just don't get it btw-Russ, Jimmy is not a troll. He's a Phin fan that backs his team and that should be respected. He calls it the way he sees it and when the Phins lose he's here to say they lost. He doesn't spout crap all week and when they lose you can't finfd him.  This is a big sandbox and you can play the way you want but I bet if you bring it down a notch you'll agree.  
    Posted by Sam-Adams

as far as the WR/TE group goes...i think the TE got lackadaisical with the playcalling being slant to welker, welker fade, welker WR bubble screen, welker from out of the backfield, welker, welker, welker all the time welker

the running back injuries, IMO...had little to do with their success and failures because they werent used very often and were mostly running out of spread formations

brady coming off surgery was a factor...but that knee held up well and he still had a very productive year...i just think that the pats will fail to take their game to the next "level" until they return to their roots of power football and playaction passing

and thank you for the kind words of my fandom...i mean honestly...does anyone have two ricky williams jerseys unless they are a diehard fan?

Sections
Shortcuts