Are the Jets that far into the hole next season?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Are the Jets that far into the hole next season?

Here is a projection of their 2013 cap as of right now http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

The 2013 cap will be roughly 120 million.  If they roll over the current 5 million they have in room that's a total of 125 million.  While the projected hit of 144 million is obviously over that there are a number of players they can cut fairly easily.  Eric and Jason Smith can both be cut and save 15 million.  They could also cut Pace and Scott and save another 15 million which would give them some room under the cap.  That being said they would then have to replace those 2 guys and their 2 starting safeties who are both FA after this season plus have money to sign their draft picks.  They could try and restructure Pace and Scott, but that would require guaranteeing more of their salary over a few years which might not be what they want to do since both seem to be on the decline already.  In addition they have to think about how much money it will take to resign Revis should they choose to do so after the 2013 season.

The conclusion I would draw from all of this is that given their current salary structure the Jets will not have a lot of room to maneuver this coming offseason.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

yes, yes, I've hear this story.  In fact it was just last year... and the year before that...and the year before that...and the year- well you get the idea.  Salary cap hell does not exist.  Well, sometimes when you have one 6th of your cap tied up in one player two years in a row it does.

[/QUOTE]

You are confused.  I didn't say they are in salary cap hell.  To me that means they would have to cut players they wanted to keep just to stay under the cap.  I don't think that is going to happen.  That being said I also think they aren't going to have a lot of room to make any big changes to their current roster other than through the draft or mid to low level free agents.  Perhaps you are happy with your team's current roster.  I certainly wouldn't be.

Of course I don't know why I am bothering writing a reasonable response to you since all you will do is construct yet another straw man to tear down.  You have yet to point out what part of what I said was factually incorrect.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

if true, let them keep on doing what they're doing.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

it ha sthe jets at 141 million for only their top 51 players

unrestricted free agents starters in bold:

Yeremiah Bell
    Mike DeVito
    Nick Folk
    Shonn Greene
    Dustin Keller
    Laron Landry
    Aaron Maybin
    Brandon Moore
    Chaz Schilens