Are the Jets the worst team to ever make the AFC Championship?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Are the Jets the worst team to ever make the AFC Championship?

Okay, obviously the Jets were clearly the least talented  team in the AFC playoffs this year. So my friends and I were trying to think of a worse team that had made the conference championship and we were coming up empty.

I guess the Colts get a free pass to the Superbowl. Hopefully I'm wrong. The Jets are starting to remind me of another overachieving team- the Giants of 07.

Plus all the pass interference that Revis normally gets away certainly wont fly against Lord Manning in a playoff game. It should be interesting. And to put things into perspective the Jets beat a mediocre Bengals team and had the Bolts game handed to them by an orginization that has defined choke.

The Jets could beat Indy or they could lose by 35. I wouln't be surprised by either. I don't know what to expect. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

Re: Are the Jets the worst team to ever make the AFC Championship?

dafoe...

You sound like a real loser, still bitter over the spanking your team took in SB 42.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Their defense is legit

Their QB might be the worse to ever make it to an AFC Championship Game, though.  It really speaks volumes for how good their defense and their running game is for them to overcome Dirty Sanchez.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

You're trying to make yourself feel better by saying the Jets dont belong here? The Patriots certainly dont belong here, the Jets do. Look at the way their defense plays! Look at their running backs! Even Sanchez wasnt bad today.

And what do we have on defense? Wilkfork and Mayo, thats about it.

Which running backs do we have? A big bust in L. Maroney, Fragile Fred and some guy named Sammy Morris. The Jets have Jones, Greene, and L. Washington, although hes hurt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

dafoe:

How does the least talented team in the AFC have the best rush offense in the league, and #1 defense?

i don't think the Colts really want to play the Jests again

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

A great defense will always beat a great offense.

Just ask the Colts 2000-2005, 2007, 2008
    Chargers 2004-2009
    Patriots 2007-2009

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I agree Spetznaz. They might be the second AFC wildcard this decade to ride their defense to the SB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

The sad thing is that we have so many holes on defense AND offense. Sure we have so many picks in the draft but havent we always? What did the draft get us in the past 3-4 years? No stud RB's, WR's, cornerbacks, linebackers. Our special teams are absolutely terrible, with the punter ranking 33rd, (theres only 32 teams).

Perhaps only Mayo and Vollmer were good picks. We havent had a rookie, 2nd or 3rd year player  make a huge play all year long.

With the recent disastrous drafts, Pats cannot be confident that they could simply draft the right guys. We never saw chung make one big play all year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

Huh? They just "took it too" the Chargers in San Diego after the Chargers had won 11 straight games. They are a very good team. Do you know anything about football? You're as good as you play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

No, the Jets were a moderately tough team by the numbers near the end of the season, and not counting those two gimmie games at the end.  So was San Diego near season's end, to the Jets' credit. 

So was Baltimore.  I think the Pats had a heartbreak problem, losing their 240+ pass completions in two seasons guy.

Going by conventional betting wisdom, there was no greater underdog than the 2001 Patriots.  At the Super Bowl they got 14 points versus the Greatest Show on Turf.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

hey spetz, there was a nice article today about the jets approach to the draft (lately): they've been moving up. and they have picked some seriously good guys.
    but i don't think they'll beat indy: as good as their defense is, manning will still score and sanchez won't keep up.

pats will have lots of seconds next draft, will bb move up to grab one impact player?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

The JETS defense is superb.  I hate the jets.

Their running game is pretty good.

Don't knock them because the Patriots are going downhill.

Sanchez has played pretty darn good in the playoffs.

Their free agent signings a lot better than the patriots.

Try to be objective.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

And they have drafted pretty darn well too.

Open your eyes, the Patriots need some serious help if they going to be elite again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

mnp3a

Yes you're right. Their past 3-4 drafts have been far superior to ours. We could have traded up and gotten Revis too, but Belichick never does it. He will continue to select quantity over quality. We have 1 player left from the 2007 draft, and one from 2006.

Look at the 2008 draft when we got Mayo.  Who else did we get in that draft? Terrance Wheatley, Shawn Crable, K. O'Connel,  Wilhite.  Two guys havent played at all in 2 years, O'Connel was cut and Wilhite was pretty aweful.

In that draft we could've had  Chris Johnson, Eddie Royal, Ray Rice, Desean Jackson

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good aggressive defense makes the Jets a legitimate contender.  I don't think the Jets have what it takes to beat the Colts, but who knows now?  Jets in the Super Bowl is a real possibility.  Much as it hurts, I'll probably root for the Jets over the Colts next week.  But in the Super Bowl, I'm rooting for the NFC--Saints, I hope, but even Favre and the Vikings are more attractive champions than the Colts or Jets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankdawop. Show frankdawop's posts

The irony if the Jets beat the Colts is this: 

If the Colts had played them seriously and beat them during the regular season instead of resting their players, the end result would have been that the Jets wouldnt even be IN the playoffs.

I sort of want the Jets to beat Indy for this very reason ... chances are they wont, but the comedic value of the whole thing is what they make movies about ... classic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Spetz - defense wins championships, but not in the absence of offenses.  That said, the Jets have a nice running game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

defense is good.  offense is fairly offensive to me.  lets face it, the chargers kept handing them the ball in good scoring position.  not too scared of them, dont think they will make it past the Colts, but if they do, I enjoy the irony of THAT.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Jets the worst team to ever make the AFC Championship?:
    Enough of BB jack$@s antics.  Jets are playing good ball at the right time of the year and just might ride this thing all the way to the SB.
    Posted by tommyspats

You smell like Leon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

Not sure if they're the worst, but they definitely have the coach with the biggest mouth and most obnoxious attitude...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I almost hope the Jets can win so that I can believe that defense and a running game are not dead in the NFL.  What do New Orleans, Indianapolis and Minnesota have in common?  They are all dome teams and they all had first round byes.  Only 2 top ten rushing teams are still in the Playoffs (NO and NYJ).  Jets are the only top five Defense still in the Playoffs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

Here are a couple teams that were a bit suspect when they played in the conference title game, and I expanded to include both the NFC and AFC:

95' Colts were 9-7 and lost to the Steelers in the AFCCG.  The most explosive offensive player they had was Sean Dawkins, and a medicore QB in Harbaugh.

79' Rams were 9-7, solid on D with Youngblood and Drier on the D-line, and had a solid QB in Ferragamo.  No real standout phase of their game.

2008 CARDS! 9-7, same type of team as Jets, dominant in one phase of the game only, and medicore in other phases.  The Cards appeared more dominant because when they caught fire, their offense put up huge points, whic is gaudy, but no more effective than a number 1 D that shuts a team down and wins by a slimmer margin.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I really love the "If you don't agree with my OPINION , then you are an idiot" rhetoric. Very mature and articulate.

The Jets defense is good. Okay? That's it. It's not great. They are not going to shut out the Colts. They are not the second coming of the 85 Bears. They are a good defense. Nothing more. Get a grip.

Their offense on the other hand, is middle of the pack. The passing game is non existent. And it is proven that when a good defense focuses on the Jets running game and forces Sanchez to throw the ball, the Jets can't win.

They were clearly the least talented team in the AFC playoffs. It's just that simple. They were 9-7 for a reason. They just happened to peak at the right time (ala the Giants- who haven't done anything since) and got lucky enough to draw the Chargers who outplayed them and then gave the game away. Which is what the Chargers do every January. Now the Colts don't have to face their nemesis.

And for all the posts. All the self proclaimed "football experts" with their panties in a bunch. Not a single person has offered a suggestion as to what team has ever made it to the AFC Championship game with less talent. The title of the thread is: "Are the Jets the worst team to ever make the AFC Championship?" Not "The Jets are a terrible team." Which is what some of you Jets lovers have twisted it into. 

It just kills me to think the Colts are going to another Superbowl I'm trying to talk myself into it. But I just don't see this team beating the Colts on the road. At least San Diego had a good chance. For all the choking, they seem to have the Colts number 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

Dafoe:

Dude, read the post right above yours.  I named the 95' colts as a team that made it to the AFCCG with less talent.  They were fairly mediocore in all phases and were just a scrappy team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

spetznaz;

Hindsight is always 20-20, especially regarding the NFL draft.

Sure we could have gotten revis. So could the other 30 teams who didn't.  Given the number of high round draft picks the jets have had over the last 5-6 years, they were bound to strike gold somewhere. But, they've certainly drafted more duds in rounds 1-3 than any other team I know of. 

I noticed #50, one vernon ghoulston on the sidelines. maybe he's special teamer but i didn't see him play one down on defense. How's that #6 overall pick working out for ya jets?

Only four of the 31 jests high draft picks (round 1-3) over the past 10 years have made it to the pro-bowl so I wouldn't exactly be holding them up as draft day geniuses.

Sections
Shortcuts