Are the Packers racist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

Are the Packers racist

Teammate Greg Jennings and cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt say wide receiver Jordy Nelson is good for a white guy?Are these guys racist? Is it ok to be a racist as long as your not white? I will bet ESPN won't mention this. If a white player said he is smart for a black guy.That would be the lead story for ESPN all year.If it was a white coach that said something like that he would be fired.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Are the Packers racist

I'm tired of the word racist.  It gets used to cover too many things.  I've met some true racists, people who were just down on another race across the board no matter what.  Lets reserve the title for people who truly are, not for people who point out that there aren't a lot of white wide receivers.  Because there aren't a lot of white wide receivers.  Why?  I dont know, but the proof is in the pudding.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

Pointing out there are not alot of white wide receivers is one think. Saying he is good for a white guy is another.Why would a teammate even think about that unless he is down on another persons race? Joe Whitt is a coach a person of authority and he warns players not to be fooled by him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist:
    Pointing out there are not alot of white wide receivers is one think. Saying he is good for a white guy is another.Why would a teammate even think about that unless he is down on another persons race? Joe Whitt is a coach a person of authority and he warns players not to be fooled by him?
    Posted by michaelf101

IMO context is the key element here.  Were they joking around?  On paper, sounds bad - in the proper context - who knows?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Here's an article on that http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/19/teammates-say-jordy-nelson-is-underestimated-because-hes-white/ I wouldn't take anything they said as racist.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

We can presume they love their teammate and have the kind of relationship that allows them to make such joking statements. 

A lot of my friends are of different ethic/racial  origins.  Over the years I have been called "Arayan", "Nazi", "Blond-haired, blued-eyed devil", "Gringo" and so forth, and not just a little.  I don't like it, but I don't let it bother me, either.  I know they like or love me as a friend and it is their way of teasing me, and people that feel comfortable teasing you usually really like you.  

I love my wife, but I occassionally tease her about her thick accent when she is trying to pronounce words such as "asparagus".  She says, "ASPER-ER-GAAS".  It is really quite adorable.  I probably shouldn't tease her, and if she protests, I point out that her English is actually excellent for just four years speaking, and that I am completely talentless in trying to learn even a tiny bit of her native language.

All the same, it was stupid for Jennings and Whitt to say it publicly, and yeah, their is a double-standard.  But let's not protest in the streets over it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

There is a double standard in this society right now.  IMHO, it appears African-Amercian players can say quite a bit about a white player, like Jennings did, but if similar words were said by a white player about a black player, the "R" word would be the headline.  Unfortunate, but, this seems to be the way today!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

reminds me of those fools Dennis Rodman and Isiah Thomas saying the same thing about Larry Bird during the NBA finals (think it was 1987?) "Overrated because he is white...)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Are the Packers racist:
    Teammate Greg Jennings and cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt say wide receiver Jordy Nelson is good for a white guy?Are these guys racist? Is it ok to be a racist as long as your not white? I will bet ESPN won't mention this. If a white player said he is smart for a black guy.That would be the lead story for ESPN all year.If it was a white coach that said something like that he would be fired.
    Posted by michaelf101

...nothing better to do than post about this? (...painfully obvious that you have NOT spent any time in a mixed racial locker room...)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Are the Packers racist : ...nothing better to do than post about this? (...painfully obvious that you have NOT spent any time in a mixed racial locker room...)
    Posted by WesternOregon

Nothing better to do than say "...nothing better to do than post about this? (...painfully obvious that you have NOT spent any time in a mixed racial locker room...)"?  

Painfully obvious you have NOT spent any time on this board...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm tired of the word racist.  It gets used to cover too many things.  I've met some true racists, people who were just down on another race across the board no matter what.  Lets reserve the title for people who truly are, not for people who point out that there aren't a lot of white wide receivers.  Because there aren't a lot of white wide receivers.  Why?  I dont know, but the proof is in the pudding.  
    Posted by Davedsone

I agree that racist is tossed out way to often. It's being over used which leads to more of a division of the races then actual racism itself sometimes. For example, how most people feel about the race baitor Sharpton. It also leads most people to roll their eyes when a athlete comes out claiming racist as they are being paid millions. To me the over use of racist card it's only hindering the progress made to unify the races and only serves to hide the real cases of racism that need to be addressed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Are the Packers racist:
    Posted by michaelf101

I think the distribution of non-QB skill players shows what the Bell Curve already proved: that black people are far more likely to have more Type-A (and Type-B) fast twitch muscle fiber.  If both races were equally likely to produce explosive athletes, the non-QB skill position players would reflect (at least within 5%) the overall population of the country, but far cry it doesn't

It's not racist.  It's fact.  There are exceptions, but the whole racism thing is a bleeding heart self righteous holier than thou excuse for ignoring the fundamental physiological/chemical/DNA differences between people

And Jordy Nelson is one of those exceptions.  He's just as explosive as anyone else, just as agile.  But he's also a much rarer case, ergo people underestimating him because they go off of the white person average instead of giving HIM (specifically) due props

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Racist? No.. not at all.. BUT if a WHITE guy said "he's good for a black guy" in hockey then there would be a shyt storm....(You're right about that 101, just not racist, but not the right thing to say.)

There is absolutely a double standard when it comes to this matter(Even though most hate ESPN on here, I'd like to hear Skip Bayless debate this).

Dwayne Wade dresses up like Timberlake with a scary white powdered face and people think it's "creative", but the NHL guy dresses up like Jay Z and he get's ridiculed and some suggest 'racial'.  He had to apologize..............BS

This shyt makes me sick. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

There obviously is a double standard. But then some will point out that whites were not discriminated against for hundreds of years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

well if you said something similar about a black guy- excuse me african-american- it would be racist but it is not- in fact- racist- so welcome to 21st century america

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

There is a double standard in this society right now.  IMHO, it appears African-Amercian players can say quite a bit about a white player, like Jennings did, but if similar words were said by a white player about a black player, the "R" word would be the headline.  Unfortunate, but, this seems to be the way today!
    Posted by agcsbill

Because it's so hard being white in this country, oh wait. It rocks to be white. Calm down. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

There obviously is a double standard. But then some will point out that whites were not discriminated against for hundreds of years.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Okay..... and what's your point?  That makes it ok?  Isn't that a double standard in itself...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

or a triple standard?

In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Okay..... and what's your point?  That makes it ok?  Isn't that a double standard in itself...
    Posted by Getzo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

or a triple standard? In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist :
    Posted by patthepatriot666

You just gave me an aneurism with that one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

Tell that to my Irish fore fathers. They were discriminated against in this country and were the first slaves owned by the british for hundreds of years

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Tell that to my Irish fore fathers. They were discriminated against in this country and were the first slaves owned by the british for hundreds of years
    Posted by PatsEng

They weren't allowed to check the White box when they first arrived to Ellis Island. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

reminds me of those fools Dennis Rodman and Isiah Thomas saying the same thing about Larry Bird during the NBA finals (think it was 1987?) "Overrated because he is white...)
    Posted by Quagmire3

If he was a black player he'd be average. Isiah had to apologize, But wasn't a racist? Bird had to accept it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Tell that to my Irish fore fathers. They were discriminated against in this country and were the first slaves owned by the british for hundreds of years
    Posted by PatsEng

My grandparents came from Killarney. Hibernophobia was even more severe than discrimination against blacks, for a relatively short time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

The Armenians and Jewish were in the process of being exterminated.... don't think that could be topped. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The Armenians and Jewish were in the process of being exterminated.... don't think that could be topped. 
    Posted by Getzo

Don't forget the Christians were almost exterminated by the Jewish, Romans, and Armenians too.

Not to mention that back in the 11th and 12th centuries the English wanted to exterminate the Irish for their land, well that was until they decided it was better to use them as slave labor to cultivate their new pasture land for over 600 years.

History is full of discrimination and attempted/successful exterminations. We really are a hateful violent species

Sections
Shortcuts