Are the Packers racist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Are the Packers racist

I'm going to make one more comment on this thread and probably not say any more (though I reserve the right to change my mind). I don't think it's possible to change opinions, but heck, it's an important issue so I'll make these few points and then shut up and get back to football:

• Racial stereotypes are bad when they limit the opportunities available to individuals within the stereotyped racial group
    • The stereotype about White people being slow is therefore damaging to those White individuals who are seeking to pursue opportunities where elite speed is required. Preconceptions that White people can't run may prevent White people who actually can run from being considered for opportunities that they would otherwise be fit for.  This stereotype affects only a small number of White people, however, since not many people are pursuing opportunities where elite speed is required. It also limits White people in only a small number of pursuits, since most things that we value in our society don't require elite athletic ability. Most employers won't turn you down because you can't run a 4.3 40-yard dash. So while this stereotype is damaging to a few White athletes, it has almost no effect on the vast majority of Whites.     
    • The stereotype about Black people being less intelligent than others (and that is the key racial stereotype that hurts Blacks) damages Black individuals who are pursuing opportunities that require intelligence. Most mid- to high-paying jobs--and even many low-paying jobs--require intelligence.  Therefore, the stereotype against Blacks affects a large number of Blacks and limits them in a large number of opportunities. Furthermore, this stereotype has been around for centuries, so it has been affecting Black families for generations.  The damage on Black communities is widespread, long-lasting and serious. 
    • Both stereotypes are bad because they disadvantage people
    • The second stereotype (against Blacks), however, has far greater negative impact on the stereotyped race. 
    • Because of this, we tend--as we should--to take comments that reinforce the second stereotype more seriously than we do comments that reinforce the first stereotype.  Yes, there is a double standard, since all stereotypes can be damaging.  But the double standard is not unjustified, because stereotype two is far more damaging to far more people than stereotype one. 
    All that said, the Packers who made the comments were really just saying that other players were stereotyping their teammate as slow because he is White. They weren't calling White people slow--they were just obeserving that others assumed that.  I don't see anything racist here . . . and I sort of wonder now why the original poster brought this up at all.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to make one more comment on this thread and probably not say any more (though I reserve the right to change my mind). I don't think it's possible to change opinions, but heck, it's an important issue so I'll make these few points and then shut up and get back to football: Racial stereotypes are bad when they limit the opportunities available to individuals within the stereotyped racial group The stereotype about White people being slow is therefore damaging to those White individuals who are seeking to pursue opportunities where elite speed is required. Preconceptions that White people can't run may prevent White people who actually can run from being considered for opportunities that they would otherwise be fit for.  This stereotype affects only a small number of White people, however, since not many people are pursuing opportunities where elite speed is required. It also limits White people in only a small number of pursuits, since most things that we value in our society don't require elite athletic ability. Most employers won't turn you down because you can't run a 4.3 40-yard dash. So while this stereotype is damaging to a few White athletes, it has almost no effect on the vast majority of Whites.      The stereotype about Black people being less intelligent than others (and that is the key racial stereotype that hurts Blacks) damages Black individuals who are pursuing opportunities that require intelligence. Most mid- to high-paying jobs--and even many low-paying jobs--require intelligence.  Therefore, the stereotype against Blacks affects a large number of Blacks and limits them in a large number of opportunities. Furthermore, this stereotype has been around for centuries, so it has been affecting Black families for generations.  The damage on Black communities is widespread, long-lasting and serious.  Both stereotypes are bad because they disadvantage people The second stereotype (against Blacks), however, has far greater negative impact on the stereotyped race.  Because of this, we tend--as we should--to take comments that reinforce the second stereotype more seriously than we do comments that reinforce the first stereotype.  Yes, there is a double standard, since all stereotypes can be damaging.  But the double standard is not unjustified, because stereotype two is far more damaging to far more people than stereotype one.  All that said, the Packers who made the comments were really just saying that other players were stereotyping their teammate as slow because he is White. They weren't calling White people slow--they were just obeserving that others assumed that.  I don't see anything racist here . . . and I sort of wonder now why the original poster brought this up at all.   
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

This is very well said indeed. Well done Pro

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : This is very well said indeed. Well done Pro
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Thanks PatsEng.  

(I get the feeling that a bit of a tempest has been stirred up in teapot with this thread.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]I'm going to make one more comment on this thread and probably not say any more (though I reserve the right to change my mind). I don't think it's possible to change opinions, but heck, it's an important issue so I'll make these few points and then shut up and get back to football: Racial stereotypes are bad when they limit the opportunities available to individuals within the stereotyped racial group The stereotype about White people being slow is therefore damaging to those White individuals who are seeking to pursue opportunities where elite speed is required. Preconceptions that White people can't run may prevent White people who actually can run from being considered for opportunities that they would otherwise be fit for.  This stereotype affects only a small number of White people, however, since not many people are pursuing opportunities where elite speed is required. It also limits White people in only a small number of pursuits, since most things that we value in our society don't require elite athletic ability. Most employers won't turn you down because you can't run a 4.3 40-yard dash. So while this stereotype is damaging to a few White athletes, it has almost no effect on the vast majority of Whites.      The stereotype about Black people being less intelligent than others (and that is the key racial stereotype that hurts Blacks) damages Black individuals who are pursuing opportunities that require intelligence. Most mid- to high-paying jobs--and even many low-paying jobs--require intelligence.  Therefore, the stereotype against Blacks affects a large number of Blacks and limits them in a large number of opportunities. Furthermore, this stereotype has been around for centuries, so it has been affecting Black families for generations.  The damage on Black communities is widespread, long-lasting and serious.  Both stereotypes are bad because they disadvantage people The second stereotype (against Blacks), however, has far greater negative impact on the stereotyped race.  Because of this, we tend--as we should--to take comments that reinforce the second stereotype more seriously than we do comments that reinforce the first stereotype.  Yes, there is a double standard, since all stereotypes can be damaging.  But the double standard is not unjustified, because stereotype two is far more damaging to far more people than stereotype one.  All that said, the Packers who made the comments were really just saying that other players were stereotyping their teammate as slow because he is White. They weren't calling White people slow--they were just obeserving that others assumed that.  I don't see anything racist here . . . and I sort of wonder now why the original poster brought this up at all.   

Ok, I'll agree with this Pro.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from condognh. Show condognh's posts

I thought the redskins were the racist team

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

White players get discriminated against.  There are precious few RBs, WRs, and DBs that are white in the NFL.  72.4% of the population is white and none of them play these positions?  Has to be racism.

I'm still waiting for ESPN's outside the lines to do an hour on that subject.  After all, we were forced to hear how the lack of Black QBs and Coaches was because America is full of racists.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Are the Packers racist:
    [QUOTE]Teammate Greg Jennings and cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt say wide receiver Jordy Nelson is good for a white guy?Are these guys racist? Is it ok to be a racist as long as your not white? I will bet ESPN won't mention this. If a white player said he is smart for a black guy.That would be the lead story for ESPN all year.If it was a white coach that said something like that he would be fired.
    Posted by michaelf101[/QUOTE]

Go away. It's meaningless. We've had the benefit of having the best 'pretty good for a white guy' in sports play for us--Larry Bird

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

Justify it how you want . That is what aggravates people you can be a racist as long as you are not white. Race quotas to get jobs and college acceptance only affects white kids in a negative way. You ignore things like that so  you can justify to yourself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Come on. If the guy who says it isn't racist how is it a racist remark? It's an old joke and it's meant as a compliment. Maybe people shouldn't bother wasting their time caring what the media says.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]Justify it how you want . That is what aggravates people you can be a racist as long as you are not white. Race quotas to get jobs and college acceptance only affects white kids in a negative way. You ignore things like that so  you can justify to yourself.

Sigh, please present facts. 83% of all College students are of Caucasian descent. It's been proven that people with African American names are 50% less likely to get a called for an interview than a person with a caucasian name even if they have the same credentials as the person with the Caucasian name. Please, try to present facts or SHUT UP! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]White players get discriminated against.  There are precious few RBs, WRs, and DBs that are white in the NFL.  72.4% of the population is white and none of them play these positions?  Has to be racism. I'm still waiting for ESPN's outside the lines to do an hour on that subject.  After all, we were forced to hear how the lack of Black QBs and Coaches was because America is full of racists.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Another idiot, so many on these boards. 100% of the owners are Caucasian, 88% of the HCs are Caucasian. Sounds like white-on-white crime to me. If HCs want to see more Caucasians in that positions, put them there. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

unless we are talking about the presidency- in that case your credentials can be much less impressive and you get the job

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Sigh, please present facts. 83% of all College students are of Caucasian descent. It's been proven that people with African American names are 50% less likely to get a called for an interview than a person with a caucasian name even if they have the same credentials as the person with the Caucasian name. Please, try to present facts or SHUT UP! 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

[QUOTE]Teammate Greg Jennings and cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt say wide receiver Jordy Nelson is good for a white guy?Are these guys racist? Is it ok to be a racist as long as your not white? I will bet ESPN won't mention this. If a white player said he is smart for a black guy.That would be the lead story for ESPN all year.If it was a white coach that said something like that he would be fired.
    Agree if the boot was on the other foot it would be a major story. Imagine people like Mike Wilborn going off about it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]unless we are talking about the presidency- in that case your credentials can be much less impressive and you get the job In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist :
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming that that's a jab towards Obama? Not really and Obama fan. I hate to have to defend him, but Obama's credential compared to Bush makes him OVER-qualified. Compared to Palin, Perry and Cain, it's beneath him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Another idiot, so many on these boards. 100% of the owners are Caucasian, 88% of the HCs are Caucasian. Sounds like white-on-white crime to me. If HCs want to see more Caucasians in that positions, put them there. 

Your numbers are wrong. 22% of coaches are black. 12% of the population is black, therefore blacks are actually overly represented. You should be worried about Asians I suppose.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : First of all,   thank you for being ignorant by saying the rap stars thing. With that, I'll classify you as an idiot out the gate.

I'm an idiot for recognizing that the dream of many many black youth is to be a rap star??? I would guess that far more black kids want to be JayZ, Kenye, or whoever else is big in that field than they want to be President.

As a kid I would rather have been a rock star than a politician. So whatever. I am not an idiot

Now, Obama worked hard, no questions asked, but don't act like he never suffered opposition. He received more death threats in his year campaigning that Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr received in their entire time in office. Almost 30 a day.

Imagine that, all those obstacles and he STILL made it. Just PROVES that NOTHING can keep a determined, hard working black person from  achieving their goals... so they should stop with the racism crap!

Now, how many Black kids do you know that gives you the insight that they just want to be rap-stars with no other aspiration?

Everytime I read the paper regarding a black kid who killed someone or got killed, that's almost all they ever say. He was an aspiring rapper who had recently turned his life around. It's like a broken record. The boiler plate answer

There is a reason stereotypes exist, because they are generally true.

I forgot how well whites and blacks got along after slavery. Blacks weren't mistreated at all after that, it was blue skies and sunshine.

I never said it was all "blue skies and sunshine". It STILL isn't "blue skies and sunshine" I said that a black person can do whatever they want these days up to and including becoming the President of the United States, basically the most powerful human on the planet. Now that this is true, stop whining about racism and get to work!!!

The "man" isn't holding you down anymore. In fact you are being propped up thanks to "Affirmative Action". Blacks getting jobs when they are less qualified is WRONG! Getting into a college with lower test scores than others is WRONG! Any special consideration due solely to race is WRONG !

You want in? Earn it like everyone else!

You need to learn about other cultures. See how the other side lives. 

Oh, my city has plenty of culture. I purposely stay away from where the "other side" lives because they kill people there all the time

Nice, Woodhead is your favorite Patriots.

Yeah, because we are about the same height. He's an inspiration to little guys everywhere. It is nice to see a little guy like myself do well in a game made up of such freakishly huge people

Let me guess, along with Brady, Welker, Gronkowski, Mike Wright, Russ Vetrone and Jeff Tarparian? Wouldn't surprise me, bro. ; )

Yeah, Imagine.... A favorite player of mine being the likes of Brady, arguably the best QB to EVER play the game. Welker, best at his position possibly EVER. Gronkowski, a BEAST who leads the league for TE's in TD's since he entered the league and is just amazing to watch. How could I think much of those guys???

Wright was looking promising as a sack machine till he got hurt... twice, so he's out. Ventrone & Tarp... uh, no

Coincidentally I DON'T think much of Branch or Ocho. Has NOTHING to do with RACE either.

Branch has lost a step or two and is easily taken out of games. Not the difference maker he used to be, though he still shows a flash on occasion. Ocho just isn't performing. However, he IS is my favorite PERSON on the team. Hard worker, compassionate, and humble (though he doesn't play it that way, he IS humble) The guy is a great human being

Does it count that I like Hernandez ;-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Your numbers are wrong. 22% of coaches are black. 12% of the population is black, therefore blacks are actually overly represented. You should be worried about Asians I suppose.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Are you...are you serious? 0_o...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

[QUOTE]White players get discriminated against.  There are precious few RBs, WRs, and DBs that are white in the NFL.  72.4% of the population is white and none of them play these positions?  Has to be racism. I'm still waiting for ESPN's outside the lines to do an hour on that subject.  After all, we were forced to hear how the lack of Black QBs and Coaches was because America is full of racists.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

In the last couple of years there was crying about how there weren't as many black players in MLB as in the past. Racism was cited. The rise of Hispanic players, that were more talented & taking those jobs, was the real reason for the decline in black American players. As soon as someone cries racism the media backs off. This country needs to get its priorities straight & stop coddling people. Give them an inch & they take a mile. Jobs should go to the best qualified, not some outdated quota system.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Every time I'm in Boston I'm just amazed at how all the downtown offices and all the college classrooms are just filled to the brim with Black people.  You don't see a single White person in school or in a job any more . . . 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptorpete. Show raptorpete's posts

I can remember years ago when Isiah Thomas of the Detroit Pistons made a comment, on National TV, about Boston Celtic Larry Bird to the effect that people were saying that Larry Bird was an outstanding basketball player to which Thomas replied that if he were black he would only be an average player. In either case I think that you just have to consider the source.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

Will agree, well written Prolate0, well done!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Their total racists they have never had one eskimo on the team....  ever!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Their total racists they have never had one eskimo on the team....  ever!
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

Worse, they stole the Eskimo's colours . . .