Are the Packers racist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Are the Packers racist

I don't think anything that was said was said maliciously. But still, it's probably better not to say things like this because it reinforces stereotypes in a way that's increasingly unhelpful, regardless of the race of the speaker or the person spoken about. 

As far as double standards go that make it easier for Blacks to say things about Whites that Whites couldn't say about Blacks . . . yes, there are some--but that's only because for too long in the US racist attitudes toward blacks were embedded in law and custom in a way that severly disadvantaged blacks. Whites just have never been harmed to the same degree by racist attitudes. Yes, there has been discrimination against other groups (including, for instance, my mother's Italian ancestors), but no group except the Native Americans was for so long so severly discriminated against in the US than African Americans. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist:
    [QUOTE]There is a double standard in this society right now.  IMHO, it appears African-Amercian players can say quite a bit about a white player, like Jennings did, but if similar words were said by a white player about a black player, the "R" word would be the headline.  Unfortunate, but, this seems to be the way today!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Prolate says it good

When one race enslaved and kept another inferior for hundreds of years some of bustiong on white people type stuff of the kind Jennings is using clearly has to be accepted while if it were the other way around it is in poor taste... that's just how things work

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Are the Packers racist:
    [QUOTE]Teammate Greg Jennings and cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt say wide receiver Jordy Nelson is good for a white guy?Are these guys racist? Is it ok to be a racist as long as your not white? I will bet ESPN won't mention this. If a white player said he is smart for a black guy.That would be the lead story for ESPN all year.If it was a white coach that said something like that he would be fired.
    Posted by michaelf101[/QUOTE]

It was likely a locker room joke that Nelson is in on. Yeah, it is racist and there will be people who contend that it promotes racist attitudes, but when you have a group of people who think as a unit and this is an accepted joke, then it actually serves to promote cohesion. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

black people need to get over it- it didnt happen to them and it wasnt done by anyone living

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Prolate says it good When one race enslaved and kept another inferior for hundreds of years some of bustiong on white people type stuff of the kind Jennings is using clearly has to be accepted while if it were the other way around it is in poor taste... that's just how things work
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]black people need to get over it- it didnt happen to them and it wasnt done by anyone living In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist :
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

Blacks are still suffering the consequences of centuries of racism even if they are not direct victims today.  It's not like you keep a whole people down for 500 years then lift the restrictions and say "no harm, no foul."  It takes a while to recover from centuries of systematic and often brutal discrimination.  

By the way, I happen to have a photograph of my dad when he was a young boy standing with an elderly black man who happened to have been born a slave in my father's family.  So yeah, brutal discrimination happened a while ago--but not as long ago as you might think. My father still knew people first-hand who had been slaves to his ancestors.  

(What's always seemed weird to me, though, is that my father's family and their ex-slaves have stayed in touch all these years and go to each other's funerals and things . . . the South is a bizarre place to someone like me who grew up in the North, even if I do have Southern roots on one side of my family)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

This is ridiculous...Please take the time to READ the article. 
    Try not to MISREPRESENT what someone else said.
    You obviously need help intepreting
    See below exactly what was said.... 

So why don’t more people name this big-play threat for the best team in football when they’re listing the top receivers in the NFL? Some of Nelson’s teammates say it’s because of the color of his skin.

“They underestimate him. And honestly, he uses that to his advantage,” Packers receiver Greg Jennings told the Associated Press. “Seriously, a lot of it has to do with the fact that guys look at him and say, ‘OK, he’s the white guy, he can’t be that good.’ Well, he is that good, he’s proven to be that good and it’s because of the work and the time that he’s put in — not only on the field but in his preparation off the field.”

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said on his weekly radio show on WAUK-AM that he and cornerback Charles Woodson discussed the same topic during Monday night’s game.

“I was talking to ‘Wood’ in the fourth quarter and he said, ‘When you see Jordy out there, you think, “Oh well, he’s a white wide receiver. He won’t be very athletic.” But Jordy sort of breaks all those stereotypes,’” Rodgers said. “I am not sure why he keeps sneaking up on guys.”

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]This is ridiculous...Please take the time to READ the article.  Try not to MISREPRESENT what someone else said. You obviously need help intepreting See below exactly what was said....  *************************** So why don’t more people name this big-play threat for the best team in football when they’re listing the top receivers in the NFL? Some of Nelson’s teammates say it’s because of the color of his skin. “They underestimate him. And honestly, he uses that to his advantage,” Packers receiver Greg Jennings told the Associated Press. “Seriously, a lot of it has to do with the fact that guys look at him and say, ‘ OK, he’s the white guy, he can’t be that good .’ Well, he is that good, he’s proven to be that good and it’s because of the work and the time that he’s put in — not only on the field but in his preparation off the field.” Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said on his weekly radio show on WAUK-AM that he and cornerback Charles Woodson discussed the same topic during Monday night’s game. “I was talking to ‘Wood’ in the fourth quarter and he said, ‘When you see Jordy out there, you think, “Oh well, he’s a white wide receiver. He won’t be very athletic.” But Jordy sort of breaks all those stereotypes,’” Rodgers said. “I am not sure why he keeps sneaking up on guys.”
    Posted by geoffchox[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting the comment . . . in context it's totally different since they're calling out others for making assumptions about Nelson based on stereotypes about Whites. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

No the packers are not racist for saying this.  I think you guys are over reacting.  I doubt the man was ashamed or hurt in any way by the comment.  It's not like he's being denied the job of wide receiver because he's white.  there may be times to bring up this point but this is not one of them.  There is way too much dissection about race as it is in our country.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Blacks are still suffering the consequences of centuries of racism even if they are not direct victims today.  It's not like you keep a whole people down for 500 years then lift the restrictions and say "no harm, no foul."  It takes a while to recover from centuries of systematic and often brutal discrimination.   By the way, I happen to have a photograph of my dad when he was a young boy standing with an elderly black man who happened to have been born a slave in my father's family.  So yeah, brutal discrimination happened a while ago--but not as long ago as you might think. My father still knew people first-hand who had been slaves to his ancestors.   (What's always seemed weird to me, though, is that my father's family and their ex-slaves have stayed in touch all these years and go to each other's funerals and things . . . the South is a bizarre place to someone like me who grew up in the North, even if I do have Southern roots on one side of my family)  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Except that the majority of white Americans families were never involed in the slave trade or even owned slaves and yet are generally blamed for slavery. My family came from Ireland suffering from British rule for centuries then had to deal with American racism. Actual a popular name for the Irish coming over in the 19th centaury was "white negr0".  There have been numerous cultures who had to fight hard for acceptance. Crying foul unjustly on either side when there is no actual reason to or saying that one side or the other deserves more because of the past only serves to divide the races further. It does nothing but breed contempt and when actual racism occurs it's often under scepticism or denial. Call it the boy who called wolf syndrome, which is sad and shouldn't happen

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NonChalant1. Show NonChalant1's posts

Call me "racist" for this if you want, it would fit in perfect with the theme going on in here (but it'd be hilarious to anyone that knows me).  It's crazy that this is a New England sports board and you guys are so ignorant of racial issues.  So let me say this, outside of about 3 people, you guys sound like a bunch of unexposed white guys that know nothing about race relations in this country and used cliched arguments like "but my parents didn't own slaves" to ignore the racial climate in the United States of America.  Stereotypes that exist until this day.  Thank goodness I was raised in a racially diverse area with people and friends of every socioeconomic status.  Went to poor schools and some of the most elite this nation has to offer.  I can never think like you people.  Do you realize that a black guy with the same credentials as his white counterpart gets paid less on average for doing the same job?  It gets worse when it's a women.  Do you realize that a black guy is 3x as likely to get pulled over while driving his car as a white guy, but a white guy is 2x as likely to be caught with something.  Do you know nothing about racial profiling and how in 95% of arrests/stops,etc....the person did nothing?  Did you miss the big story on that out of New York last year?

Did you miss when African-Americans migrated North after integration and white guys fled the neighborhoods (concept of white flight) and the jobs left with them?  Those jobs never came back.  The predecessor to a lot of what we have today?  Do you guys know anything about race in America at all?  That is specifically to the guy that said black people should get over it.  The African-American community has a lot of problems, sure.  Much of them self-inflicted.  I see it when I work in low-income communities doing pro-bono work all the time.  That's another conversation and one I wish African-Americans would have.  It's time to look internally in a lot of instances.

But to sit here and pretend that these stigmas don't exist and that race is no longer an issue in America is insane.  Most little black girls when tested still pick the white barbie doll when asked which better represents beauty.  I didn't realize that happened in the 21st century until two years ago.  So obviously the complexion and depictions of African-Americans is much more negative than it is of perhaps of any other group in this country.

So jokingly saying someone is "pretty athletic for a white guy" is not going to have the same affect as saying "he's pretty smart for a black guy."  One is a joke and is not a reflection on the entirety of one's "racial group" (race is a social construct so I don't buy into all that much...you guys have already pointed out Irish, Italians, etc...but that's another historical argument).  The other sparks connotations to the historical argument that the black guy just isn't as smart as the white guy.  Some stereotypes are more hurtful than others, and this false equivalency so many of you are espousing is ridiculous.

Oh and I played football in high school in a very diverse area, this type of joke would've offended no one.  If something like this bothers you then that speaks volumes to your experience in this country.  One of my friends used to jokingly say "I'm white" when asked how he got As and we'd all laugh about it.  Just like how the other guys on the Michigan team when they had the Fab 5 used to laugh when J. Rose used to say they were on the team to inflate the team GPA.  This is a non-issue.  But of course it's made huge and real racism and sexism is glossed over again.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

yawn

[QUOTE]Call me "racist" for this if you want, it would fit in perfect with the theme going on in here (but it'd be hilarious to anyone that knows me).  It's crazy that this is a New England sports board and you guys are so ignorant of racial issues.  So let me say this, outside of about 3 people, you guys sound like a bunch of unexposed white guys that know nothing about race relations in this country and used cliched arguments like "but my parents didn't own slaves" to ignore the racial climate in the United States of America.  Stereotypes that exist until this day.  Thank goodness I was raised in a racially diverse area with people and friends of every socioeconomic status.  Went to poor schools and some of the most elite this nation has to offer.  I can never think like you people.  Do you realize that a black guy with the same credentials as his white counterpart gets paid less on average for doing the same job?  It gets worse when it's a women.  Do you realize that a black guy is 3x as likely to get pulled over while driving his car as a white guy, but a white guy is 2x as likely to be caught with something.  Do you know nothing about racial profiling and how in 95% of arrests/stops,etc....the person did nothing?  Did you miss the big story on that out of New York last year? Did you miss when African-Americans migrated North after integration and white guys fled the neighborhoods (concept of white flight) and the jobs left with them?  Those jobs never came back.  The predecessor to a lot of what we have today?  Do you guys know anything about race in America at all?  That is specifically to the guy that said black people should get over it.  The African-American community has a lot of problems, sure.  Much of them self-inflicted.  I see it when I work in low-income communities doing pro-bono work all the time.  That's another conversation and one I wish African-Americans would have.  It's time to look internally in a lot of instances. But to sit here and pretend that these stigmas don't exist and that race is no longer an issue in America is insane.  Most little black girls when tested still pick the white barbie doll when asked which better represents beauty.  I didn't realize that happened in the 21st century until two years ago.  So obviously the complexion and depictions of African-Americans is much more negative than it is of perhaps of any other group in this country. So jokingly saying someone is "pretty athletic for a white guy" is not going to have the same affect as saying "he's pretty smart for a black guy."  One is a joke and is not a reflection on the entirety of one's "racial group" (race is a social construct so I don't buy into all that much...you guys have already pointed out Irish, Italians, etc...but that's another historical argument).  The other sparks connotations to the historical argument that the black guy just isn't as smart as the white guy.  Some stereotypes are more hurtful than others, and this false equivalency so many of you are espousing is ridiculous. Oh and I played football in high school in a very diverse area, this type of joke would've offended no one.  If something like this bothers you then that speaks volumes to your experience in this country.  One of my friends used to jokingly say "I'm white" when asked how he got As and we'd all laugh about it.  Just like how the other guys on the Michigan team when they had the Fab 5 used to laugh when J. Rose used to say they were on the team to inflate the team GPA.  This is a non-issue.  But of course it's made huge and real racism and sexism is glossed over again.    
    Posted by NonChalant1[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Except that the majority of white Americans families were never involed in the slave trade or even owned slaves and yet are generally blamed for slavery. My family came from Ireland suffering from British rule for centuries then had to deal with American racism. Actual a popular name for the Irish coming over in the 19th centaury was "white negr0".  There have been numerous cultures who had to fight hard for acceptance. Crying foul unjustly on either side when there is no actual reason to or saying that one side or the other deserves more because of the past only serves to divide the races further. It does nothing but breed contempt and when actual racism occurs it's often under scepticism or denial. Call it the boy who called wolf syndrome, which is sad and shouldn't happen
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

The majority of Americans may not have owned slaves, but they did support--or at least accept--discriminatory laws and customs that persisted in the United States until well into the 1960s. Slavery, Jim Crow, and a host of other discriminatory laws, practices, and customs would not have existed so long without at least the tacit support of the majority of Americans. 

I'm well aware that the Irish faced some discrimination (as did many immigrant groups in the past and as many immigrant groups--such as Hispanics--continue to face today).  But it's absurd to claim that the Irish suffered as much from discrimination and racism in America as did Blacks or to argue that the 400 plus years of systematic discrimination and racism that Blacks faced in North America from the 1500s through the late 1900s leaves no lingering effects on Blacks today.  Such arguments are so blatantly and obviously absurd that I can't help wondering if they are motivated by something other than a desire to find truth. If anything, they succeed only in convincing me that racism is maybe more alive today than we like to think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Are the Packers racist:
    [QUOTE]Teammate Greg Jennings and cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt say wide receiver Jordy Nelson is good for a white guy?Are these guys racist? Is it ok to be a racist as long as your not white? I will bet ESPN won't mention this. If a white player said he is smart for a black guy.That would be the lead story for ESPN all year.If it was a white coach that said something like that he would be fired.
    Posted by michaelf101[/QUOTE]loosen up! i'm more concerned about jolly being railroaded! 6 years when a lindsey lohan gets chance after chance after chance.. thats real racism that has more of an impact than this crappp! long as whites are the majority with far more power, get used to a little ribbing. tiger had to put up with chicken and watermelon jokes all the time, same with the williams sisters. sure woody hears it as a white running back, same with welker esp after that 99 y ard bomb... how many white cornerbacks are there? sehorn got it all the time even from his own teammates. called ribbing, no evil intent here.. jody is the ONLY white receiver i know off at this time who can routinly torch black corners now that brandon stokely is retired or AWOL.. keep it real! not every racial comment or stereotyoe is RACIST!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Moronic thread. Stupid premise based on a lazy reading of the original quotes and a complete lack of context. Incites the mentally infirm, as usual.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : The majority of Americans may not have owned slaves, but they did support--or at least accept--discriminatory laws and customs that persisted in the United States until well into the 1960s. Slavery, Jim Crow, and a host of other discriminatory laws, practices, and customs would not have existed so long without at least the tacit support of the majority of Americans.  I'm well aware that the Irish faced some discrimination (as did many immigrant groups in the past and as many immigrant groups--such as Hispanics--continue to face today).  But it's absurd to claim that the Irish suffered as much from discrimination and racism in America as did Blacks or to argue that the 400 plus years of systematic discrimination and racism that Blacks faced in North America from the 1500s through the late 1900s leaves no lingering effects on Blacks today.  Such arguments are so blatantly and obviously absurd that I can't help wondering if they are motivated by something other than a desire to find truth. If anything, they succeed only in convincing me that racism is maybe more alive today than we like to think.

Unless most Americans are in their late 70's they did not support the laws of the 60's. And most of those that are that old apparently didn't support them either which is why those laws are gone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : The majority of Americans may not have owned slaves, but they did support--or at least accept--discriminatory laws and customs that persisted in the United States until well into the 1960s. Slavery, Jim Crow, and a host of other discriminatory laws, practices, and customs would not have existed so long without at least the tacit support of the majority of Americans.  I'm well aware that the Irish faced some discrimination (as did many immigrant groups in the past and as many immigrant groups--such as Hispanics--continue to face today).  But it's absurd to claim that the Irish suffered as much from discrimination and racism in America as did Blacks or to argue that the 400 plus years of systematic discrimination and racism that Blacks faced in North America from the 1500s through the late 1900s leaves no lingering effects on Blacks today.  Such arguments are so blatantly and obviously absurd that I can't help wondering if they are motivated by something other than a desire to find truth. If anything, they succeed only in convincing me that racism is maybe more alive today than we like to think.

Yes because discrimination and slavery from the British from the 1100's to even modern day of the Irish is in no way similiar to the plight of the black race in America. And a majority of white Americans completely accepted the racist laws and not a single one tried to help or march against or gave black americans a chance to survive in society before the 60's. You are right you've prove racism is alive today

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

that doesn't mean anything.... not racist at all... its 2011, not 1950..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Yawn...

The players did not say that he is good for a white guy, they said they think he gets underestimated because people do not expect him to be as athletic as he is. They are making an observation as to why they think he is underestimated by defenses. How did you turn that into the the Packers being racist?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Blacks are still suffering the consequences of centuries of racism even if they are not direct victims today. 

A black man can become the President of the United States. That makes him basically the most powerful person on the planet. I'd say his days of oppression are over. You just have to work for it. Too bad so many young black people would rather be aspiring rap stars

It's not like you keep a whole people down for 500 years then lift the restrictions and say "no harm, no foul."   

1619 The first African slaves arrive in Virginia. 1863 President Lincoln issues the Emancipation Proclamation. 1865 The Civil War ends. Lincoln is assassinated. The Thirteenth Amendment abolishes slavery throughout the United States. Basically HALF of your claim of 500 years

It takes a while to recover from centuries of systematic and often brutal discrimination.

Well, it's been 146 years since slavery ended. Racism is still alive & well on both sides, but again, a young black man can become ANYTHING from a school teacher, blue collar union worker, Mayor, Senator, up to & including the President of the United States, so time to stop the whining ! Every barrier has been torn down. It's up to the individual.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from weloveme2. Show weloveme2's posts

there is only one true minority in the world and that is the native populations unlike any of the major races,groups like the native american are disappering not in the past but today every other race is the majority somewhere I'm native american and we are the only true minorities.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist :
    Posted by hang3xc[/QUOTE]
    In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Blacks are still suffering the consequences of centuries of racism even if they are not direct victims today.  

A black man can become the President of the United States. That makes him basically the most powerful person on the planet. I'd say his days of oppression are over. You just have to work for it. Too bad so many young black people would rather be aspiring rap stars. 

First of all, thank you for being ignorant by saying the rap stars thing. With that, I'll classify you as an idiot out the gate. Now, Obama worked hard, no questions asked, but don't act like he never suffered opposition. He received more death threats in his year campaigning that Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr received in their entire time in office. Almost 30 a day. Now, how many Black kids do you know that gives you the insight that they just want to be rap-stars with no other aspiration? -_-...

It's not like you keep a whole people down for 500 years then lift the restrictions and say "no harm, no foul."    

1619 The first African slaves arrive in Virginia. 1863 President Lincoln issues the Emancipation Proclamation. 1865 The Civil War ends. Lincoln is assassinated. The Thirteenth Amendment abolishes slavery throughout the United States. Basically HALF of your claim of 500 years

I guess you learned history out of a Republican history book. I forgot how well whites and blacks got along after slavery. Blacks weren't mistreated at all after that, it was blue skies and sunshine. What about Jim Crowe laws? -_-...

It takes a while to recover from centuries of systematic and often brutal discrimination. 

Well, it's been 146 years since slavery ended. Racism is still alive & well on both sides, but again, a young black man can become ANYTHING from a school teacher, blue collar union worker, Mayor, Senator, up to & including the President of the United States, so time to stop the whining ! Every barrier has been torn down. It's up to the individual. 

146 years ago? That's a really long time, almost TWO whole generations ago (depending on how old you are, your Grandfather or Great-Grandfather). Ridiculous, someone just posted an entire post explaining that it's not a leveled playing field. Even when it comes to Affirmative Action, Caucasian females benefit the most from it, but Blacks get the snide remarks that they're only in successful positions because of Affirmative Action. Level playing field? I think not, but do blacks need to work harder in this country? Yes. Please, get some black friends. They won't bite or try to rob you, I promise. You need to learn about other cultures. See how the other side lives. 

Nice, Woodhead is your favorite Patriots. Let me guess, along with Brady, Welker, Gronkowski, Mike Wright, Russ Vetrone and Jeff Tarparian? Wouldn't surprise me, bro. ; )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

the idea of obama having to fight racism to get to the white house is ridiculous

if you change his skin color to white no one would ever have heard of him

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : In Response to Re: Are the Packers racist : Blacks are still suffering the consequences of centuries of racism even if they are not direct victims today.   A black man can become the President of the United States. That makes him basically the most powerful person on the planet. I'd say his days of oppression are over. You just have to work for it. Too bad so many young black people would rather be aspiring rap stars.  First of all,   thank you for being ignorant by saying the rap stars thing. With that, I'll classify you as an idiot out the gate. Now, Obama worked hard, no questions asked, but don't act like he never suffered opposition. He received more death threats in his year campaigning that Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr received in their entire time in office. Almost 30 a day. Now, how many Black kids do you know that gives you the insight that they just want to be rap-stars with no other aspiration? -_-... It's not like you keep a whole people down for 500 years then lift the restrictions and say "no harm, no foul."     1619 The first African slaves arrive in Virginia. 1863 President Lincoln issues the Emancipation Proclamation. 1865 The Civil War ends. Lincoln is assassinated. The Thirteenth Amendment abolishes slavery throughout the United States.   Basically HALF of your claim of 500 years I guess you learned history out of a Republican history book. I forgot how well whites and blacks got along after slavery. Blacks weren't mistreated at all after that, it was blue skies and sunshine. What about Jim Crowe laws? -_-... It takes a while to recover from centuries of systematic and often brutal discrimination.  Well, it's been 146 years since slavery ended. Racism is still alive & well on both sides, but again, a young black man can become ANYTHING from a school teacher, blue collar union worker, Mayor, Senator, up to & including the President of the United States, so time to stop the whining ! Every barrier has been torn down. It's up to the individual.  146 years ago? That's a really long time, almost TWO whole generations ago (depending on how old you are, your Grandfather or Great-Grandfather). Ridiculous, someone just posted an entire post explaining that it's not a leveled playing field. Even when it comes to Affirmative Action, Caucasian females benefit the most from it, but Blacks get the snide remarks that they're only in successful positions because of Affirmative Action. Level playing field? I think not, but do blacks need to work harder in this country? Yes. Please, get some black friends. They won't bite or try to rob you, I promise. You need to learn about other cultures. See how the other side lives.  Nice, Woodhead is your favorite Patriots. Let me guess, along with Brady, Welker, Gronkowski, Mike Wright, Russ Vetrone and Jeff Tarparian? Wouldn't surprise me, bro. ; )
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

Really, Pat Nations.  Stop it.  Pats are a better team when they wear their Blue.  Give me a break.  How about Pats whip the Jets a*** twice this year.  GOOOOOOO Pats.   C'mon folks

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Is it crazy this crap is made a big deal of. Why does this still go on today. I don't care if a guy is white, black or hispanic, at the end of the day the only color that matters is the color of WIN.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

[QUOTE]Call me "racist" for this if you want, it would fit in perfect with the theme going on in here (but it'd be hilarious to anyone that knows me).  It's crazy that this is a New England sports board and you guys are so ignorant of racial issues.  So let me say this, outside of about 3 people, you guys sound like a bunch of unexposed white guys that know nothing about race relations in this country and used cliched arguments like "but my parents didn't own slaves" to ignore the racial climate in the United States of America.  Stereotypes that exist until this day.  Thank goodness I was raised in a racially diverse area with people and friends of every socioeconomic status.  Went to poor schools and some of the most elite this nation has to offer.  I can never think like you people.  Do you realize that a black guy with the same credentials as his white counterpart gets paid less on average for doing the same job?  It gets worse when it's a women.  Do you realize that a black guy is 3x as likely to get pulled over while driving his car as a white guy, but a white guy is 2x as likely to be caught with something.  Do you know nothing about racial profiling and how in 95% of arrests/stops,etc....the person did nothing?  Did you miss the big story on that out of New York last year? Did you miss when African-Americans migrated North after integration and white guys fled the neighborhoods (concept of white flight) and the jobs left with them?  Those jobs never came back.  The predecessor to a lot of what we have today?  Do you guys know anything about race in America at all?  That is specifically to the guy that said black people should get over it.  The African-American community has a lot of problems, sure.  Much of them self-inflicted.  I see it when I work in low-income communities doing pro-bono work all the time.  That's another conversation and one I wish African-Americans would have.  It's time to look internally in a lot of instances. But to sit here and pretend that these stigmas don't exist and that race is no longer an issue in America is insane.  Most little black girls when tested still pick the white barbie doll when asked which better represents beauty.  I didn't realize that happened in the 21st century until two years ago.  So obviously the complexion and depictions of African-Americans is much more negative than it is of perhaps of any other group in this country. So jokingly saying someone is "pretty athletic for a white guy" is not going to have the same affect as saying "he's pretty smart for a black guy."  One is a joke and is not a reflection on the entirety of one's "racial group" (race is a social construct so I don't buy into all that much...you guys have already pointed out Irish, Italians, etc...but that's another historical argument).  The other sparks connotations to the historical argument that the black guy just isn't as smart as the white guy.  Some stereotypes are more hurtful than others, and this false equivalency so many of you are espousing is ridiculous. Oh and I played football in high school in a very diverse area, this type of joke would've offended no one.  If something like this bothers you then that speaks volumes to your experience in this country.  One of my friends used to jokingly say "I'm white" when asked how he got As and we'd all laugh about it.  Just like how the other guys on the Michigan team when they had the Fab 5 used to laugh when J. Rose used to say they were on the team to inflate the team GPA.  This is a non-issue.  But of course it's made huge and real racism and sexism is glossed over again.    
    Posted by NonChalant1[/QUOTE]