Are The Patriots An Elite Team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Are The Patriots An Elite Team?

It seems like it's been a while since they've beaten a "good" team. Can the Patriots compete with the big boys anymore?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Are The Patriots An Elite Team?

Of course

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

It will be interesting this year for sure.  I'm thinking....second tier until our D matures.  The spanking we got from the Saints last years still lingers on my mind.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots An Elite Team?:
    [QUOTE]It will be interesting this year for sure.  I'm thinking....second tier until our D matures.  The spanking we got from the Saints last years still lingers on my mind.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

I think what lingers for me is the ofense leaving points on the field, and the defense letting teams catch up in the second half. then of course the debacle in the game against the Ravens

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

No, but the media says they are just to avoid giving them additional motivation and to hedge their bets because they know that any team with Belichick and Brady can compete with almost anyone even with Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney as their top two receivers (2006-2007).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I watched the Patriots starters versus New Orleans in preseason.  Three and punt, field goal, three and punt, touchdown.  This year, can any of the big boys compete with them?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

You can't be elite if you're not complete. The defense is young and suspect.

Having said that, I do believe, because of the O, we can still compete with anyone.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely NOT! Now the Jets they're the real deal! The pats had a nice run,albeit tainted** and tarnished** but a nice run none the less.
    Posted by MasterHess-[/QUOTE]

So the Jets went 9-7 last season, and the Patriots went 10-6 (easily could have been 11-6 if they hadn't thrown the Houston game)...

So the Jets go 9-7 and the Pats go 10-6, and the Jets are now elite? Am I missing something?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Define Elite?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Define Elite?
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

hmmm, let's arbitrarily define elite as team with a .685 record  or better last season and has made the playoffs for 2 of the past 3 seasons.  Keep in mind, I have no idea if anyone might meet this criteria...lol.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GR2009. Show GR2009's posts

Leon you played football right?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i don't care. if they have to be viewed to be as ordinary as the 2001 team, for them to win another sb, then so be it.

the last thing i want members of the team to do is care that they are an elite team. i want them to care about what they need to get done week in week out - not some useless status.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]i don't care. if they have to be viewed to be as ordinary as the 2001 team, for them to win another sb, then so be it. the last thing i want members of the team to do is care that they are an elite team. i want them to care about what they need to get done week in week out - not some useless status.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  The post is less about being called "elite" and more about whether they could beat a decent team

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They're in a rebuilding mode still, I think.  So I don't expect them to be "elite." But they are still a good team that can contend for a championship.  And with all their youth, there's a good possibility that they could move back up into the elite ranks within a year or two. If nothing else, they are looking like one of those perennially good teams with an ongoing tradition of success--a team like the Steelers or Cowboys--and not like the absurd laughing-stock they were for my entire youth and childhood. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Offensively YES

Defensively NO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Elite is never being blown out of a game, that I Know....I think we havent been Elite since 07'.....Elite means you have a dominat offense and defense...IMO, and our "D" got a long way to go....It would look better if they let the young guys loose, and stop making em think so much....I mean we had Vets in this " D" that could make plays....DO you see Mayo playing the games Bruschi did in coverage, getting pics..NO, just read and react, wait for the guard to punch you 5 yards back, and then try to make a play!?!?   Im sorry, Im gonna say Bill needs to comtemporize(is that a word) this defense, and realize we dont have big physical guys anymore...I remember when I 1st saw film of Mayo in college, wearing # 7, I thought he was a safety...He is not 255 lbs...and it is showing n this 3-4
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]
    Funny your comment about Mayo is not far off. I remember watching him in College too and thought he was a little small, but the trend was having fast middle backers that could make plays sideline to sideline. Problem is we don't do that! Why are we still playing the 34 when we didn't have the pieces last year to play it? They should have focused on players that could of played the 43 because our personell is suited for it more than the 34. Mayo looks like a 43 backer, Guyton as well. Mike Wright would make a fine 43 end and Pryor a fine 43 tackle. Wilfork can play in any defense. They drafted McKenzie last year, for what!? He's a classic 43 outside linebacker. All they would of had to do was draft another 43 defensive end and they had the ammo to move around in the draft to do it. THey had 43 linebackers and with so many teams playing the 34 nowadays you wouldn't be fighting for the same players of teams picking in front of you.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

I remember the Bowl years and we had a running game. Recently we lost games in the 2nd halk because the D's weren't tired and we left too much time on the clock for the team to come back down and get the go ahead score. The team is "one-dimensional". Depsite that TB can get a hell of a lot done but he gets beat up by blitzes. Need an FB and run I formations and off-set and get some heat off of TB. The D will need to gel. I remember a bunch of nail biters in the early 2000's. That is why Vinatieri was a star.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Ask the players.... if they think they are, that's all that matters.  They're the ones that play the game.  Our opinions mean bupkiss!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]hmmm, let's arbitrarily define elite as team with a .685 record  or better last season and has made the playoffs for 2 of the past 3 seasons.  Keep in mind, I have no idea if anyone might meet this criteria...lol.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]
    Yes, they can beat the big boys and no, they are not elite.

By your definition of elite, only Indy qualifies. By patsfan76's definition (having a dominant offense and defense) noone qualifies.

Parity is alive and well in the NFL. The Bengals go from 4-11-1 in '08 to 10-6 last year. The Panthers went from 12-4 in '08 to 8-8 last year. The Saints were a last place team in '08 and won the super bowl in '09. There are many more examples like these.

The Patriots and Colts are the only teams to remain consistantly good year after year in the salary cap era. What these two teams have done is remarkable compared to the rest of the NFL.

This year both teams will struggle to match that feat. They both have elite offenses while their defenses have major questions. Compound that with tough schedules, this could be a down year for both teams.

But I'll believe it when I see it.