Are The Patriots Better Today..?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Are The Patriots Better Today..?

versus last season's team? Yes, it's early in free agency and the draft hasn't happened yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Are The Patriots Better Today..?

Well lets break it down by players acquired verses players lost

Gregory - Gregory is an improvement at FS over whoever was placed back there short of McCourty

Anderson - /> Scott - This one might be a loss. Scott is still an unknown. He has the ability to produce like Anderson last year but at this point he's still an unknown

Fanene - /> Ellis/G Warren - No matter how you look at this Fanene will be an upgrade over either

BJGE - He is a loss as a stable go to back that doesn't turn the ball over. However, since Vereen and Ridley are still unknowns their improvement and larger involvement could actually turn into a plus

Lloyd - /> Branch - Yes I know Branch is still on the team but Branch will no longer be the Z/X WR. That position has been upgraded by Lloyd

Gallery - /> Welch - I know it's depth but given we need depth this is an upgrade

Carter - It's unknown whether Carter will be back or not, but if not this is a fairly big loss

Fells - This is an upgrade to Solder as the #3 TE in a heavy base or 3 TE set. The main reason is because Fells can catch. With Solder no one figured he would be going out for any passes, now they have to contend with 3 possible receiving TE's in a play action

Most of the other people signed are just decent depth that will replace decent depth or be camp bodies. But from the initial stand point, the O should improve and the D at worst should remain about the same. Overall I'd say they are better but they still need some quality depth at the S position, they need a RE, and they need another pass rusher

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the Pats are a very good team, but I dont see significant improvement over last years team.
    I think Lloyd is potentially a nice upgrade, and Fanene is good rotational depth.
    I like Benny, but agree the Pats needed to pass on the $$ needed to sign him.
    Not sure when Carter can pass a physical, and also not sure last season can be duplicated given his age and the rumor of Pats changing defensive fronts again.
    I expect Fells to make the team, but realistically look for him to have between 10-20 catches as the potential 8th or 9th option.
    I think if Gregory is the starter, the defensive back field is still a weakness.
    I like Cole as a ST player, but at best he is a 5 or 6th DB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

I think the Pats have obviously upgraded their offense, Im thinking out Defense is slightly better but not by a large margin.  I dont think its possible for us not to be a better team after the draft.  Im hoping we shore up the rest of the defensive loose ends in the draft.  Id like to see OLB, DE, and Safety addressed with our first 3-4 selections.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I think they are absolutely better. Look at the way Spikes was playing at the end of the year. McCourty cant be as bad as he was last year. Ras-I should play a role on the defense this year. Sterling Moore can play anywhere as a D-back and in the Superbowl he was our best DB. Offense will better throwing the ball and we have yet to have a draft. Two places that we down graded from last year are RB and pass rush. Not so worried about the RB's but it would be nice to get a good front 7 guy in the draft. It all comes down to if we can actually stay healthy this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlgvt48. Show mlgvt48's posts

If you look at personnel only the Pats are only a bit better, with the pickup of Lloyd being the biggest improvement. Having 4 picks early in the draft should help some but these can be a crap shoot as you all know. The one way to improve these chances is to move up in the draft which BB rarely does. I still see holes at C and RB on offense and DL, S and CB on defense.

But the bigest improvement should come from the team getting more experienced. The defense is still quite young and you could see the improvement during the season. This should continue through next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

As a general assessment, Pats are already better personnel-wise than last year.  And this with potential to sign another F/A or two and with the draft still ahead.  Departures of BJGE and Anderson, although losses, do not degrade the team to the extent that they are not more than offset by the recent acquisitions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Better Today..?:
    As a general assessment, Pats are already better personnel-wise than last year.  And this with potential to sign another F/A or two and with the draft still ahead.  Departures of BJGE and Anderson, although losses, do not degrade the team to the extent that they are not more than offset by the recent acquisitions.
    Posted by ATJ

ATJ,

werent you the guy jumping up and down because they signed Anderson, Carter, Albert, Ellis, Ocho and D Patton?
    I see a team that still has not addressed its need for a playmaker at the S position, nor has it addressed its ability to pressure the QB, even more so with Carter, Wright and Anderson no longer in the fold, and Pryor coming off of IR.
    I thought the need for a KR was obvious, and this also has not been addressed. 
    I do think ST in general has been strengthened with all of the additions made, and I like the Slater/WHite signings, as well as Cole. 
    I still feel they havent properly addressed the WR position, and while they have strength in numbers, an upgrade is still needed imo. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The Pats often upgrade simply by having a talent wash.

Meaning they might lose a guy or replace a guy/letting someone walk simply because the talent level is the same but the new guy is younger AND/OR cheaper.

Allowing them greater overall flexibility.

Just another smart thing they do that lends to the agument that BB or the organization is NOT average. All the little things add up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Well, so far so good. They could put a decent team on the field now but once the final product is done they will be much improved depth wise at the very least and I think the DB's are even back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Better Today..? : ATJ, werent you the guy jumping up and down because they signed Anderson, Carter, Albert, Ellis, Ocho and D Patton? I see a team that still has not addressed its need for a playmaker at the S position, nor has it addressed its ability to pressure the QB, even more so with Carter, Wright and Anderson no longer in the fold, and Pryor coming off of IR. I thought the need for a KR was obvious, and this also has not been addressed.  I do think ST in general has been strengthened with all of the additions made, and I like the Slater/WHite signings, as well as Cole.  I still feel they havent properly addressed the WR position, and while they have strength in numbers, an upgrade is still needed imo.   
    Posted by rkarp

In answer to you question, no I am not the guy who you've noted jumping up and down over those signings or any others.  Not really my style to be particularly enthusiastic or critical of any particular move.  If I'm in favor of something I'll say so; if I'm uncertain of the rationale behind a particular move I'll say so. 

With respect to the other points that you made, I don't really disagree with you but I was responding to the basic question asked which was are they better now than last year's team.  And I think they are.  Do I think they've addressed all of their needs?  That's a very different quetion and my answer to that is a very definite 'no they have not.'

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Of course they look better having a year more experience and a deep playoff run but then again, who could have forseen the drop in Devin McCourty's play at this time last year? Nothing is given in the NFL! I expect them to win another 12/13 games and make another run at the Super bowl...god I love this team!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

No. They already threw for over 5,00 yards and 39 td's but have added big name WR? They had a RB that rand for over 1,700 yards and 23 tds without a fumble in the past 2 seasons but now have 2 unkowns?

I like the additions of gallery,Scott,Fanine and Fells for depth but...

The defense was suspect in the secondary and has serious depth problems on the D-line plus a need for another Good-great D-linemen. We have done little to correct that problem.

With all of that said we were a SB team last year and I think BB will address a few of those issues and get us over the hump this year...it just hasn't happened yet imo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

as far as defense....are we gambling on the draft?
    an area of need but not really addressed with any sense of urgency in FA. Interesting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Oh, I don't know.  May not exactly be household names but I wouldn't say that it went unaddressed:

DL Jonathan Fanene
    S Steve Gregory
    DE/LB Trevor Scott
    CB Will Allen

CB Marquice Cole

Game changers?  Hardly but there's been some work done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Slightly better. If you look at what other teams within the division have done you could argue only Buffalo has done more and that's primarily due to signing Mario Williams (the big splash signing for the AFC East.....so far). The Jets have once again created another media circus that is all sizzle, little or no steak. They could lose LT and Greene will have to be the answer; did the Jets sign a safety?. Miami continues to look like a mess (Marshall gone) with Matt Moore at QB. Belichick solidified the WR corps (Lloyd....now all he has to do is eventually drop Chad, Branch, and Stallworth in 2013 and extend Hernandez and Gronk). Most of the D signings seem low-risk with a potential decent return. I am still lost with the FB signings; does Belichick need someone to block in Faulk's absence or are the Pats looking for another 3rd down back or what else?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I think the Pats are a very good team, but I dont see significant improvement over last years team. I think Lloyd is potentially a nice upgrade, and Fanene is good rotational depth. I like Benny, but agree the Pats needed to pass on the $$ needed to sign him. Not sure when Carter can pass a physical, and also not sure last season can be duplicated given his age and the rumor of Pats changing defensive fronts again. I expect Fells to make the team, but realistically look for him to have between 10-20 catches as the potential 8th or 9th option. I think if Gregory is the starter, the defensive back field is still a weakness. I like Cole as a ST player, but at best he is a 5 or 6th DB
    Posted by rkarp

With all due respect the biggest deficiency on O last year was not having a threat at WR (outside of slot). And Lloyd has always had acknowledged talent and has been VERY productive for a couple of years and has some rapore with the offense and the OC. I think this is a real significant upgrade at a critical position. Adding Stallworth is less sure but his speed (do not forget how fast this guy is) and his earlier success with the Pats and Brady in 2007 adds meaningful depth and a second threat to stetch the field. Thank whoever the GM is for this big catch.

I also think Gallery is a very significant catch - thank you again GM, whoever you are.

I do agree with you about much of the acquisitions being as much about depth as anything but the fact of the matter is that depth translates into on field talent over a 16 game season and the playoffs. Look, for example, what happened to the Jets when they lost their starting C last year for a few games. They fell apart!!!! But look what happened to the Pats when they lost their starting C for the season... AND THEN lost their second C for a couple of games. They kept right on chugging and ended up 13-3. THANK YOU GM - whoever you are. Many of us know you don't get credit for "depth" but thank you for knowing better than those fans who look at it and think FANTASY football and all they can talk about is the QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes some of this is depth. But that does not mean it is not meaningful improvement.

So - I do think Lloyd is the big catch. But I think all those other names will translate into at least some significant roster spots and will eventually end up helping us win 2,3 or 4 games during the year and that is a big swing in won lost record. And hugely meaningful in the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

I'd say the offense is better, but the defense is pretty much even. Of course, the coaches and personnel guys know a lot more about some of these "questionable" guys. Lloyd is definitely a good pick up, Stallworth is camp competition or insurance. I wish they could have kept BJGE, but maybe Vereen and Ridley will do fine. Hopefully Ridley learns how to hold onto the ball! He won't see much playing time if he can't. The defense has done alright in gathering depth to offset losses. I still think we'll miss Anderson. So there's still the draft and any cuts later on. Could BB be planning to move up and target someone for D? I'd feel a lot better if they had a veteran pass rusher, as that would help the secondary. So I'd say yes overall, but only due to signing some WRs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I think the O is more solid depending on if Light and Waters return.  The D certainly lost some pass rushing, possibly most of the pass rush if Carter isnt back.  We gained some depth on D, some nice potential too, but overall I think we lost something on D unless we add or draft some real pass rush and maybe another DB or 2

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Remember a couple years ago when BB took the pictures off the walls to make the players earn their own? Well, a lot of the young guys are starting to earn those pictures. We have more young guys coming in that we don't know about yet, and we have already upgraded some areas.

QB: Same
    RB: Unknown - One of the second year guys could make an impact. Law Firm, imo, isn't going to be that much of a loss.
    WR: Upgraded - Duh
    OL: Unknown - I'm sure Mankins will have a better year. Light is probably gone, but the young guys are stepping it up and Vollmer should be healthy now. Canon is finally healthy as well. Connoly didn't miss a beat. Gallery should help.
    TE: Upgraded -  Nice to have more depth

DL: Unknown - Lost some, picked some up
    LBs: Upgraded through experience. Hopefully Cunningham does something...
    CB: Upgraded by the addition of players, injured players returning, and experience.
    S: Upgraded - Will McCourty keep playing safety? Will Chung play more than half the season? Is Sterling Moore the real deal? Is Gregory going to be decent? Questions... but overall I say upgraded due to experience and the addition of Gregory.

ST: Upgraded if Woodhead is no longer returning kicks.

The draft will add some spice...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Ras-I, Vareen + Lloyd, Fanene + Draft = Better team !

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Better Today..? : ATJ, werent you the guy jumping up and down because they signed Anderson, Carter, Albert, Ellis, Ocho and D Patton? I see a team that still has not addressed its need for a playmaker at the S position, nor has it addressed its ability to pressure the QB, even more so with Carter, Wright and Anderson no longer in the fold, and Pryor coming off of IR. I thought the need for a KR was obvious, and this also has not been addressed.  I do think ST in general has been strengthened with all of the additions made, and I like the Slater/WHite signings, as well as Cole.  I still feel they havent properly addressed the WR position, and while they have strength in numbers, an upgrade is still needed imo.   
    Posted by rkarp

I agree with you.  When White and Slater were re-signed, I thought it would be icing on the cake to pick up a kick/punt returner who could run the ball back with some authority.

In addition, without improving in the secondary, pass rush, and the running game - the Patriots will continue to lose against teams like last year's Giants.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't know how much they could improve didn't they finish 2nd overall last year? If that's the case and you are only looking too improve by 1 game,ask yourself did any or all of the acquisitions add up to one more win? Does Lloyd make the catch on the ball that WW dropped? Does Will Allen have a better shot at tackling Cruz,his yac yardage last year against the slot receivers was the best in the NFL 0.85 yards per catch,he doesn't play the whole game anymore but he is a quality nickel back.For those who think Anderson was a big loss,I give you Trevor Scott who before his injury with the Raiders was their leading sack guy with 10.5 sacks,ironically the same number Anderson put up for the Patriots.I can't predict what the signing of the two FB's translates into,but if you have Fiamatta blocking for Vereen the running game will be improved and Larsen isn't just a FB he also is a ST and LB.BB's favorite word versatility.....In all I would guess the GM/HC is probably brewing up some sort of hybrid offense that has probably never been seen,and we all know he prefers his patented 3-4 defense and both Anderson and Carter are 4-3 guys.Fanene played in the 3-4 as did Scott..I think they will bring back Warren he performed extremely well,I don't know if Big Cat Ellis returns. So after all this tripe my answer is I think they have improved by one game,but we will have too watch to find out if the Hoodie has returned...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I guess the mistake that I made was answering the question that was posed:  Are the Patriots better today than last year's team?  It seems that the question many posters want answered is:  Have the Patriots addressed all of their perceived deficiencies? 

With respect to the question originally posed:  Yes, they have made some improvements and I think they are better, certainly not done, but better.

With respect to the question that many seem to want answered:  Of course not.

Sections
Shortcuts