Are The Patriots Overrated??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Are The Patriots Overrated??

For a team that had glaring deficiencies on defense last season, and an OL that gave up an average of 3 sacks per game...are the Patriots' overrated? Here's a typical gushing report on the Pats'  chances for 2009: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ben_reiter/08/18/patriots.postcard/index.html?eref=sihp.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

Re: Are The Patriots Overrated??

In Response to Are The Patriots Overrated??:
    [QUOTE]     For a team that had glaring deficiencies on defense last season, and an OL that gave up an average of 3 sacks per game...are the Patriots' overrated? Here's a typical gushing report on the Pats'  chances for 2009: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ben_reiter/08/18/patriots.postcard/index.html?eref=sihp .      Thoughts?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

YES THEY ARE.  most teams are over, or underrated.  but as it stands, the defense looked sloppy against the eagles and the offense needs to prove they can help themselves from devolving into a run and shoot.  there are serious concerns with depth at linebacker...an essential element to a 3-4.  and if they play 4-3, who comes off the edge?  4-3 ends are about the size of AD and burgess.  can they both apply pressure from that position?  are bodden and springs for real?
    if moss gets taken away deep, how do we respond?  many, many, questions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I would say we are just as overrated as the Colts and the Steelers or anyone else. There are overrated teams and there are underrated teams. When you win people overrate you. And no one wins as much as we do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I think Ben Reiter just wet his pants over his giddiness for the pats.  But then again how could anyone control themselves, let alone a reporter with field access, in the presence of such greatness. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]     For a team that had glaring deficiencies on defense last season, and an OL that gave up an average of 3 sacks per game...are the Patriots' overrated? Here's a typical gushing report on the Pats'  chances for 2009: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ben_reiter/08/18/patriots.postcard/index.html?eref=sihp .      Thoughts?

I wish that we could be labeled as overrated as that is typically the kind of fuel Belicheck likes to throw in the fire to give the team a little extra something, but realistictly there is no way a team that has the history we have and continually builds through the draft and free agency can be deemed overrated. No matter how many sports writers or fans give us glowing reports from the watching of a few practices. I would go the other way by saying we are underrated (if that is possible) by the constant questioning of "will Tom Brady be the same QB" or "can this offensive line get better after there collapse in 2007" As Patriot fans we know these are not realistic questions considering Tom brady was the best Qb in football before he had great receivers on the roster and our o-line is one of the best coached(donte s) cohesive units in the league. The only viable critisizim is of the defense which appeared gassed at the end of each of the last 4 seasons. With the recent injection of youth in our secondary and even at linebacker I say the Pats have no where to go but up. Then again anything can happen in a 17 week season but that is this patriot fans opinion!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated??:
    [QUOTE]I think Ben Reiter just wet his pants over his giddiness for the pats.  But then again how could anyone control themselves, let alone a reporter with field access, in the presence of such greatness. 
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Sometimes sarcasm is hard to convey in print.

But not this time.Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mercury22-The-Undefeated. Show Mercury22-The-Undefeated's posts

It is a virtual impossibility for the Patriots to be overrated.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Not yet.  However, they might become overrated, after the first 5-6 games- just like they did a few seasons, ago.  The need to get mad; get mean.  Then, they need to run up the scores, until they win the prize, simply put.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated?? : Sometimes sarcasm is hard to convey in print. But not this time.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

prairiemike..wow, I'm a little slow I guess....that was sarcasm, huh? I just thought underdogggg had finally seen the inevitable light...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Monkey - I thought I was beginning to see the light too, but my team having won 4 of the last 5 just kept getting in the way. 

Wait let me take off my glasses...Nope.  That 4 of 5 is still there.  Its like a stain of indelible ink.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

First of all rating whether it's  over or under is subjective! I happen too disagree with what the poster beastplant states that the Defense was sloppy against the Eagles,in the first quarter with most of the starters on the field pleas tell me how many points Donovan McNabb and the Eagles offense put on the board? 6 wow that sounds like a lot,right? The Eagles offense managed 2 field goals against the Patriots best defensive unit(without Springs).While the Patriots Offense put up 14 points against the Eagles Defense,I'm not adding in the punt return even though the S/T's are part of the Defense.By the way most ranking agencies rank the Eagles Defense amongst the top 3 in the NFL and if you are going by rankings the Patriots by most accounts are the #10 Defense in the NFL,so like I said all rankings are subjective.I believe that this team barring major injuries could concieveably out perform the 2007 Patriots based on indivigual statistics,especially since the Patriots upgraded in several different areas during the off season.The most notable upgrades are Fred Taylor,Joey Galloway,Baker and Smith,on offense and on Defense they added Burgess,Bodden,Springs,TBC,McGowan,Lenon,Ninkovich and others to an already improving Defense from last year.So in my opinion the Patriots unless they are ranked as the top D and the top O,they are vastly underrated.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are The Patriots Overrated?? : Not yet.  However, they might become overrated, after the first 5-6 games- just like they did a few seasons, ago.  The need to get mad; get mean.  Then, they need to run up the scores, until they win the prize, simply put.
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

Amen. What the Pats need to do is to do what they did in 2007. But this time...finish the job. Tom Brady says that, "the Patriots are on a mission". We'll soon see: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/08/brady_no_place.html 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]It is a virtual impossibility for the Patriots to be overrated.   
    Posted by Mercury22-The-Undefeated[/QUOTE] yea, those fins sure did this past year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are The Patriots Overrated?? : YES THEY ARE.  most teams are over, or underrated.  but as it stands, the defense looked sloppy against the eagles and the offense needs to prove they can help themselves from devolving into a run and shoot.  there are serious concerns with depth at linebacker...an essential element to a 3-4.  and if they play 4-3, who comes off the edge?  4-3 ends are about the size of AD and burgess.  can they both apply pressure from that position?  are bodden and springs for real? if moss gets taken away deep, how do we respond?  many, many, questions.
    Posted by beastplant[/QUOTE]

Yep. So true. Colts are way overrated also.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chesterburnet. Show chesterburnet's posts

NO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

TEX:
    This team did not make the playoffs and 95% of the people here are predicting a SB win. I think this years SB champ will be a playoff team from last year. The schedule is pretty easy for NE this time around, so 12-4 is within reason. The lack of post season experience (over 30 players) on the roster now will eventually hurt this club. If anybody can coach um' up its BB, but that said,  I think at least one trip to the post season is reasonable before considering a Lombardi. The O-line is not great & the DB's will cause 1/2 the teams NE plays to open up the passing game. Brady in a shoot out is a good bet, thats why 12-4. In the playoffs a shoot out will not be good. Maybe 1 playoff win , no further than that though. Realist

BTW, I dont believe Ben Reiter ( your reference) requires a razor. look at his picture,the kid is barely out of high schoool  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

I have been trying to think of a good response to this question but all I could come up with was NO WAY!!! I know it's not profound or detailed but it is what it is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE] When you win people overrate you.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  Two additions, though.

Does everyone overrate the Pats from 2 years ago = heavily overrated, or do they remember last year when the Pats were merely one of a number of tough teams down the stretch?  I think people are looking at last year. 

The 2009 Patriots are rather new.  We're about to see a new defensive backfield, at least one new linebacker, a new third, fourth and fifth receivers (pick your own favorites), a new tight end or two, a new defensive tackle in the rotation, a new run-package safety, you get the picture.  11 new free agents who can play, 12 new draft picks including 6 in the first three rounds, some of whom might play.  New players have zero victories, just like the Detroit Lions.  They are generally underrated.

Given all that, I suspect that the Pats are underrated right now.  Vegas gives them 11 1/2 victories this season.  Three or four early death star performances may change that sentiment.

Philly is a good team.  Didja see their first team buckle under 21-6 by halftime?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[QUOTE]Monkey - I thought I was beginning to see the light too, but my team having won 4 of the last 5 just kept getting in the way.  Wait let me take off my glasses...Nope.  That 4 of 5 is still there.  Its like a stain of indelible ink.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Yeah but your still only 13-32 against us all time :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are The Patriots Overrated?? : TEX: This team did not make the playoffs and 95% of the people here are predicting a SB win. I think this years SB champ will be a playoff team from last year. The schedule is pretty easy for NE this time around, so 12-4 is within reason. The lack of post season experience (over 30 players) on the roster now will eventually hurt this club. If anybody can coach um' up its BB, but that said,  I think at least one trip to the post season is reasonable before considering a Lombardi. The O-line is not great & the DB's will cause 1/2 the teams NE plays to open up the passing game. Brady in a shoot out is a good bet, thats why 12-4. In the playoffs a shoot out will not be good. Maybe 1 playoff win , no further than that though. Realist BTW, I dont believe Ben Reiter ( your reference) requires a razor. look at his picture,the kid is barely out of high schoool  
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE You better check the Patriots schedule again it was ranked by the ESPN has one of the top 3 toughest scedules while San Diego's was as one of the easiest schedules ever.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Let's see now.  Yes, they missed the playoffs.  However, they had the same record as the division winner and a better record than the winner of your division.  We call that a tie-breaker.

Also, they did this without Brady for the entire season.  Brady is back now!

I predict 13-3 for this year.  I see us in the Super Bowl and, once there, my bet is on Brady.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are The Patriots Overrated?? : TEX: This team did not make the playoffs and 95% of the people here are predicting a SB win. I think this years SB champ will be a playoff team from last year. The schedule is pretty easy for NE this time around, so 12-4 is within reason. The lack of post season experience (over 30 players) on the roster now will eventually hurt this club. If anybody can coach um' up its BB, but that said,  I think at least one trip to the post season is reasonable before considering a Lombardi. The O-line is not great & the DB's will cause 1/2 the teams NE plays to open up the passing game. Brady in a shoot out is a good bet, thats why 12-4. In the playoffs a shoot out will not be good. Maybe 1 playoff win , no further than that though. Realist BTW, I dont believe Ben Reiter ( your reference) requires a razor. look at his picture,the kid is barely out of high schoool  
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

I like how you appear to remain objective in your post but upon further review you have key phrases which clearly portray your general hatred for this team and it has obviously swayed your "realist" opinion.

"This team did not make the playoffs and 95% of the people here are predicting a SB win. I think this years SB champ will be a playoff team from last year."

This is the same team from last year? With the best Qb in football coming back are you really saying this is the same team from last year?

"The schedule is pretty easy for NE this time around, so 12-4 is within reason."

The schedule is pretty easy? We had the easiest schedule in football last year this year we play 7 games against playoff teams and 5 games against teams that were right on the bubble last year.

"I think at least one trip to the post season is reasonable before considering a Lombardi."

We went 18-0 and lost in the last 2 minutes of the superbowl in 2007 with the same team but this year we are younger faster and have more depth why is a superbowl prediction inrealistic?

"Maybe 1 playoff win , no further than that though."

And let me guess who you think is gonna beat the pats in the playoffs. The Chargers Good one Dolt!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucas182. Show lucas182's posts

to those saying the defense looked bad against the eagles...

21-6 BY HALFTIME...

the 1st half had the pats starters vs the eagles starters...

dont tell me the defense sucked because we finished 27-25 after the RESERVES OF THE RESERVES OF THE RESERVES went 6-19

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wafostermisionero. Show wafostermisionero's posts

jbolt...just a quick question? Has San Diego ever won a championship in anything at all?

Answer: No!

San Diego has never won anything in the history of sports in their city!

And what was their record last year? in the AFC West no less...pitiful, hey buddy when your team actually wins a championship then you can talk big.

A healthy Brady = SB berth...like Sheldong said "My bet is on Brady" to finish the mission!

Sections
Shortcuts