Are The Patriots Overrated??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Are The Patriots Overrated??

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated??:
    [QUOTE]to those saying the defense looked bad against the eagles... 21-6 BY HALFTIME... the 1st half had the pats starters vs the eagles starters... dont tell me the defense sucked because we finished 27-25 after the RESERVES OF THE RESERVES OF THE RESERVES went 6-19
    Posted by lucas182[/QUOTE]

Seems like no matter how many times you tell people this, you will still get responses from people astonished that we gave up so many yards to the birds.  The funny part is that they act like this is something new that hasn't been a staple of the Pats defense all decade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated?? : Seems like no matter how many times you tell people this, you will still get responses from people astonished that we gave up so many yards to the birds.  The funny part is that they act like this is something new that hasn't been a staple of the Pats defense all decade.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

The only stat that truly matters in games is the scoreboard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated?? : The only stat that truly matters in games is the scoreboard.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]Just like my boy from the Geico commercial when he's playing tennis against Billy Jean King says "Take a look at the Scoreboard" In football its' not whose defense or offense is either gaining yardage or giving up yardage,it's who scores the most points!In most of the games that Tom Brady has played QB for the Patriots and BB has been the HC,the team with the most points has usually been the Patriots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are The Patriots Overrated?? : TEX: This team did not make the playoffs and 95% of the people here are predicting a SB win. I think this years SB champ will be a playoff team from last year. The schedule is pretty easy for NE this time around, so 12-4 is within reason.

RESPONSE: Pats have an easy schedule? Theirs is the 3rd toughest in the NFL, when you factor in the won/lost records of the teams they face, from last year. 

The lack of post season experience (over 30 players) on the roster now will eventually hurt this club. If anybody can coach um' up its BB, but that said,  I think at least one trip to the post season is reasonable before considering a Lombardi.

RESPONSE: Every Pats player left over from 2007 has your prerequisite playoff experience. Plus, newcomers  Joey Galloway, DE/LB Derrick Burgess, TE Smith, WR Greg Lewis, RB Fred Taylor, and Shawn Springs, all meet your criteria.

The O-line is not great & the DB's will cause 1/2 the teams NE plays to open up the passing game. Brady in a shoot out is a good bet, thats why 12-4.

RESPONSE: 12-4 would be acceptable...anything better would be fabulous.

In the playoffs a shoot out will not be good. Maybe 1 playoff win , no further than that though.

RESPONSE: Who beats the Pats? As you know, Indy has plenty of problems with their injury situation, and their OL. 

The Chargers couldn't beat the Pats in the playoffs in either 2006, or 2007. Theres' no way that the 2009 Chargers will be better than their 2006 edition. But, the 2009 Patriots are, at least on paper, a better team than the Patriots' 2006 team.

The Steelers repeat? Yes, Pittsburgh beat the Cassel led Pats last year on a ran slicked, frozen field. But, prior to 2008, the Pats have owned them.

Realist BTW, I dont believe Ben Reiter ( your reference) requires a razor. look at his picture,the kid is barely out of high school  
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

I repeat, Bolt...who beats the Pats? Are you expecting the Chargers to finish 13-3 or better? With their relatively easy schedule (thanks to their weak divisional opponents), they should.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

In Response to Are The Patriots Overrated??:
    [QUOTE]     For a team that had glaring deficiencies on defense last season, and an OL that gave up an average of 3 sacks per game...are the Patriots' overrated? Here's a typical gushing report on the Pats'  chances for 2009: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ben_reiter/08/18/patriots.postcard/index.html?eref=sihp .      Thoughts?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I have to say no.  Not in the slightest.  Who's overrating them?

This team went 16 and 0 two years ago.  Then they went 11-5 last season with a starting QB who hadn't started a game since high school.

Is their defense 100% solid?  No.  They have some concerns, but what team doesn't?  In the age of the salary cap, has there ever been a team without concerns who had depth at every position?

Look at is this way,  who is better?   The Pats aren't perfect but what team matches up with this offense.  What team has enough weapons on offense that they can outscore the Patriots?   

This Patriots team will be vulnerable against the run but be excellent pass rushers.  They has to prove their ability at cornerback, but I feel they are more solid than last season already.   For a team to beat the Patriots they will have to control the clock, not turn the ball over AND hold the Patriots offense to less than 20 points.  Last season this team averaged 36 or so, WITHOUT BRADY.

They're not perfect, but when you look at their schedule, it's hard not to put them in the AFC title game, barring any crazy injuries. (knock on wood).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoochiemgg. Show hoochiemgg's posts

Let's see.......The Pats have been to four super bowls this decade and have won three of them. In that time they've had the longest winning streak in the game and they also had a perfect regular season. They were a miracle helmet catch away from their fourth title. They lost arguably the MVP of the entire league last year and still mustered up an 11-5 season. The fact that they didn't make the playoffs actually works in their favor. For a change, the season ended early and the Patriots were allowed to have a nice long off season while other playoff teams were still clubbing each other. Adding Tom Brady to last years team makes them better by leaps and bounds. We're talking 12 to 14 wins easily. Now, let's analyse the competition. The Steelers are tough but everyone will be gunning for them. It's always a tough go to repeat and your off season is short. The Colts are now minus Dungy. They still have Payton which makes them a contender. The Titans are looking good. The Ravens are tough. That's where it ends. History shows that the Pat's have done very well against these teams and their Achilles heel, the Donkeys, have no shot. Now, the Dollfish won the division on the tiebreaker last year but they won't be surprising anyone with their trick plays this time around. They will finish at about .500 or so. The Chargers don't scare anyone. They play in a soft division and you win games on the field, not on paper. They have a coach that is made to turn bum franchises around but not to win super bowls. Anyone with knowledge of the game would have to list the Pat's as one of the top three teams in the league to take it all. That is a fact that most of the experts across country agree upon. This alone tells me that they are not over rated. To disagree simply means that you don't like them and they've been crushing the team you do root for. Too bad !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fargo. Show Fargo's posts

Merc:  Enjoy 8-8 this year.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

[QUOTE]Merc:  Enjoy 8-8 this year.  
    Posted by Fargo[/QUOTE]
    We'll see about 8-8. The Patriots ARE overrated without question. Their defense is suspect to say the least. Brady is coming off major knee surgery and they still don't have anyone on defense that is a legitimate game changer. This team is soft in the middle and please stop with the Fred Taylor's, Shawn Springs, and the 50 year old Joey Galloway. The Patriots are going to have problems with physical teams who control the clock and are effective at sacking the Qb. They have 20 Rb's rotating in the backfield none of whom are exactly Walter Payton back there.This never works because no one can get into a rhythm with the offense if you keep platooning them. They ran the ball effectively when they had one featured back(Corey Dillion) not 5 of them. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fargo. Show Fargo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated?? : We'll see about 8-8. The Patriots ARE overrated without question. Their defense is suspect to say the least. Brady is coming off major knee surgery and they still don't have anyone on defense that is a legitimate game changer. This team is soft in the middle and please stop with the Fred Taylor's, Shawn Springs, and the 50 year old Joey Galloway. The Patriots are going to have problems with physical teams who control the clock and are effective at sacking the Qb. They have 20 Rb's rotating in the backfield none of whom are exactly Walter Payton back there.This never works because no one can get into a rhythm with the offense if you keep platooning them. They ran the ball effectively when they had one featured back(Corey Dillion) not 5 of them. 
    Posted by perfect72[/QUOTE]

Yeah, good point. Call it 9-7. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE-decade-of-my-dreams. Show NE-decade-of-my-dreams's posts

The Chargers w/o LT (no longer a productive back) will finish 7-9 this year and win their division, beating out Miami who finishes 9-7 by virtue of their division championship. what a joke. Patriots however will finish 14-2 winning the superbowl and begining their new dynasty of the 2010's. Any non-believers?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated?? : I like how you appear to remain objective in your post but upon further review you have key phrases which clearly portray your general hatred for this team and it has obviously swayed your "realist" opinion.No, with all the 1st and 2nd year players with no playoff experience, I think my opinion is more accurate "This team did not make the playoffs and 95% of the people here are predicting a SB win. I think this years SB champ will be a playoff team from last year." This is the same team from last year? With the best Qb in football coming back are you really saying this is the same team from last year?  even the best QB cant win a SB with that Oline, sorry"The schedule is pretty easy for NE this time around, so 12-4 is within reason." The schedule is pretty easy? yes ,buf nyj & Mia 2x's and the rest because the earned 2nd place schedule We had the easiest schedule in football last year and did not make the postseason  andthis year we play 7 games aainst playoff teams and 5 games against teams that were right on the bubble last year. "I think at least one trip to the post season is reasonable before considering a Lombardi." We went 18-0 and lost in the last 2 minutes of the superbowl in 2007 go back to 2001 why dont yawith the same team but this year we are younger [inexperienced]faster [have to be to try and make for the inexperience] and have more depth [old used up depth] why is a superbowl prediction inrealistic? "Maybe 1 playoff win , no further than that though." And let me guess who you think is gonna beat the pats in the playoffs. The Chargers Good one Dolt!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]     For a team that had glaring deficiencies on defense last season, and an OL that gave up an average of 3 sacks per game...are the Patriots' overrated? Here's a typical gushing report on the Pats'  chances for 2009: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ben_reiter/08/18/patriots.postcard/index.html?eref=sihp .      Thoughts?
    Texas, were you trolling for trolls with this post? Fishing seems to be great today, I see you've already hooked a half dozen haters.
    I saw nothing untrue in the article but that's just one man's opinion. When people start with the hypotheticals, i.e., "what if brady if injured again" or "what if moss goes down", predictions become meaningless. Take an MVP caliber player away from any team and they're going to loose competiveness big time.
    Clearly, the Pats have rebuilt their major weakness and are ready to roll with their future HOF QB leading the way. Odds are another SB appearance is in the works. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Are you saying that you think that the Pats didn't fix their secondary? 

You do realize that the Pats have improved their O-line in the draft and by just having Brady back, right?

They are not overrated since I am constantly seeing Pitt being picked to win the SB again.  Pitt and Indy are definately overrated.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are The Patriots Overrated?? : TEX: This team did not make the playoffs and 95% of the people here are predicting a SB win. I think this years SB champ will be a playoff team from last year. The schedule is pretty easy for NE this time around, so 12-4 is within reason. Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Boltie always hangs his hat on last year and that fact that the bolts squeaked into the playoffs at 8-8 in the weakest division in football. As if that assures them a spot this year.
    Patriot fans realize that last year is last year and means absolutely nothing this year. This is 2009. 2008 is irrelevant. As DeNiro said in the Deerhunter " this is this, this ain't something else".
    So, let the games begin! I wish the Pats were playing in SD this year because I live here and that's the only Pats game I'd be likely to see live.
    BTW, the pats have the 3rd toughest schedule in football this year. Again.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4027503

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Let's see.......The Pats have been to four super bowls this decade and have won three of them. In that time they've had the longest winning streak in the game and they also had a perfect regular season. They were a miracle helmet catch away from their fourth title. They lost arguably the MVP of the entire league last year and still mustered up an 11-5 season. The fact that they didn't make the playoffs actually works in their favor. For a change, the season ended early and the Patriots were allowed to have a nice long off season while other playoff teams were still clubbing each other. Adding Tom Brady to last years team makes them better by leaps and bounds. We're talking 12 to 14 wins easily. Now, let's analyse the competition. The Steelers are tough but everyone will be gunning for them. It's always a tough go to repeat and your off season is short. The Colts are now minus Dungy. They still have Payton which makes them a contender. The Titans are looking good. The Ravens are tough. That's where it ends. History shows that the Pat's have done very well against these teams and their Achilles heel, the Donkeys, have no shot. Now, the Dollfish won the division on the tiebreaker last year but they won't be surprising anyone with their trick plays this time around. They will finish at about .500 or so. The Chargers don't scare anyone. They play in a soft division and you win games on the field, not on paper. They have a coach that is made to turn bum franchises around but not to win super bowls. Anyone with knowledge of the game would have to list the Pat's as one of the top three teams in the league to take it all. That is a fact that most of the experts across country agree upon. This alone tells me that they are not over rated. To disagree simply means that you don't like them and they've been crushing the team you do root for. Too bad !!!
    Posted by hoochiemgg[/QUOTE]

Twice!  they beat the record, then beat their own record.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are The Patriots Overrated?? : TEX: This team did not make the playoffs and 95% of the people here are predicting a SB win. ....believe Ben Reiter ( your reference) requires a razor. look at his picture,the kid is barely out of high schoool  

So, JBolt... you are saying your 8 - 8 Chargers from 2008, who ONLY made the playoffs because of the the division they were in , the AFC WORST, are more deserving of being SB favorites than the Pats?  Please do not use that "we beat your a**" mantra from last year.  I guess all the 8 teams that beat your Chargers last year could use that too?  Until your Chargers PROVE they can make it through the playoffs, at least once, in all these years of being hyped as a SB contender, I think Pats fans have more to hope for than you do!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EdwSox. Show EdwSox's posts

To set the facts straight wafostermisionero, in 1963 SD beat the Boston Pats 51-10 in the AFL Championship game.....In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated??:
    [QUOTE]jbolt...just a quick question? Has San Diego ever won a championship in anything at all? Answer: No! San Diego has never won anything in the history of sports in their city! And what was their record last year? in the AFC West no less...pitiful, hey buddy when your team actually wins a championship then you can talk big. A healthy Brady = SB berth...like Sheldong said "My bet is on Brady" to finish the mission!
    Posted by wafostermisionero[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated?? : Yeah, good point. Call it 9-7. 
    Posted by Fargo[/QUOTE]
    I probably think they will win 9 games this year. The question wasn't about Miami was it? Thanks for the tip Tony

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated?? : Boltie always hangs his hat on last year and that fact that the bolts squeaked into the playoffs at 8-8 in the weakest division in football. As if that assures them a spot this year. Patriot fans realize that last year is last year and means absolutely nothing this year. This is 2009. 2008 is irrelevant. As DeNiro said in the Deerhunter " this is this, this ain't something else". So, let the games begin! I wish the Pats were playing in SD this year because I live here and that's the only Pats game I'd be likely to see live. BTW, the pats have the 3rd toughest schedule in football this year. Again. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4027503
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Well said Uncle alfie anytime you can throw in a quote from the deer hunter and bash trolls upside there head at the same time its always entertaining.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated?? : Boltie always hangs his hat on last year and that fact that the bolts squeaked into the playoffs at 8-8 in the weakest division in football. As if that assures them a spot this year. Patriot fans realize that last year is last year and means absolutely nothing this year. This is 2009. 2008 is irrelevant. As DeNiro said in the Deerhunter " this is this, this ain't something else". So, let the games begin! I wish the Pats were playing in SD this year because I live here and that's the only Pats game I'd be likely to see live. BTW, the pats have the 3rd toughest schedule in football this year. Again. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4027503
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

what a croc, thats all what most everybody here does. going off the 3 of the past. resting on the pre Ellis Hobbs days. I'm not drinkin the Patriot coolaid sorry.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Overrated?? : what a croc, thats all what most everybody here does. going off the 3 of the past. resting on the pre Ellis Hobbs days. I'm not drinkin the Patriot coolaid sorry.  

Thats not coolaid superdolt thats Samuel Adams Boston Lager and you sandiego guys couldnt handle it anyway!

Sections
Shortcuts