Are the Patriots quitters for not putting in 60?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Are the Patriots quitters for not putting in 60?

Having just worked through the Shaughnessy thread, I noticed a few comments about the Pats not playing 60 minutes.  In fact, this was apparent earlier in the season (e.g. Jets game).  Another poster mentioned last week that he had stats to prove that the Pats were the best team for the first three quarters.  During the Miaim game (yesterday), a statistic was flashed, indicating that the Pats did not do well at the end of quarters/halves.  Ultimately, I could not help but notice that the team has been setting a nasty pattern of being up and letting down.

So, are the Pats not putting in 60 (minutes)?  If they aren't, they could easily be labeled as...(gulp) quitters, like it or not.  Personally, I never thought I see this trait from a BB team.  The fact that it's happened early on and as the season wanes, might indicate that there are some problems with this team that extend beyond coming up short a few points.

Honestly, if the team can't play hard for 60, then they are lost.  How/why do fans get criticised for jumping on the team for not playing hard?  Ironically, Brady just came out this week with a similar criticism.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Are the Patriots quitters for not putting in 60?

In Response to Are the Patriots quitters for not putting in 60?:
    Having just worked through the Shaughnessy thread, I noticed a few comments about the Pats not playing 60 minutes.  In fact, this was apparent earlier in the season (e.g. Jets game).  Another poster mentioned last week that he had stats to prove that the Pats were the best team for the first three quarters.  During the Miaim game (yesterday), a statistic was flashed, indicating that the Pats did not do well at the end of quarters/halves.  Ultimately, I could not help but notice that the team has been setting a nasty pattern of being up and letting down. So, are the Pats not putting in 60 (minutes)?   If they aren't, they could easily be labeled as...(gulp) quitters, like it or not.  Personally, I never thought I see this trait from a BB team.  The fact that it's happened early on and as the season wanes, might indicate that there are some problems with this team that extend beyond coming up short a few points. Honestly, if the team can't play hard for 60, then they are lost.   How/why do fans get criticised for jumping on the team for not playing hard?  Ironically, Brady just came out this week with a similar criticism.
    Posted by BTownExpress

True.  Their motto used to be "60-Minute Men", but nowadays, I guess they're into quickies and nooners....lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Are the Patriots quitters for not putting in 60?:
    Having just worked through the Shaughnessy thread, I noticed a few comments about the Pats not playing 60 minutes.  In fact, this was apparent earlier in the season (e.g. Jets game).  Another poster mentioned last week that he had stats to prove that the Pats were the best team for the first three quarters.  During the Miaim game (yesterday), a statistic was flashed, indicating that the Pats did not do well at the end of quarters/halves.  Ultimately, I could not help but notice that the team has been setting a nasty pattern of being up and letting down. So, are the Pats not putting in 60 (minutes)?   If they aren't, they could easily be labeled as...(gulp) quitters, like it or not.  Personally, I never thought I see this trait from a BB team.  The fact that it's happened early on and as the season wanes, might indicate that there are some problems with this team that extend beyond coming up short a few points. Honestly, if the team can't play hard for 60, then they are lost.   How/why do fans get criticised for jumping on the team for not playing hard?  Ironically, Brady just came out this week with a similar criticism.
    Posted by BTownExpress

Maybe they can get Drew Brees, Troy Polamalu, Mario Williams, Antonio Gates, and company to come help them as part of the Play-60 campaign.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

If, in fact, there is a problem getting New England Patriots to play 60, what do you beieve has gone wrong?  Is it the personnel, coaches, and/or the current state of the system?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

60 minutes for sure.after that its hard to figure out.maybe they come into some games thinking they will win hands down.or they just dont make the adjustments through the games like all the other teams do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Patriots quitters for not putting in 60?:
    If, in fact, there is a problem getting New England Patriots to play 60, what do you beieve has gone wrong?  Is it the personnel, coaches, and/or the current state of the system?
    Posted by BTownExpress

It's mental toughness.  Everybody is tired at the end of the game.  Everyone feels the pressure of the moment.  Some are able to block out the distractions and focus on the task at hand.  This Patriots team is not mentally tough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

Has anyone considered the possibilty that mental toughness is sparse due to the ridiculously strenuous training camp they had this year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

They are defiantly playing a full 60 minutes.  The problem is they really suc k during the last 30 minutes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Has anyone considered the possibilty that mental toughness is sparse due to the ridiculously strenuous training camp they had this year?
    Posted by DynastyXXXVI

I'll assume a level of sarcasm was contained that surely fills in the rough spots around your response.  After all, training camp was far, far away.   Of course, there should be no excuses here.  A BB team should not lack the effort for the duration.  If it does, then we have a big problem, Houston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

They are defiantly playing a full 60 minutes.  The problem is they really suc k during the last 30 minutes.
    Posted by K-max

Are you reading from a teleprompter?

Of course, the later half of your offering indicates that they are not going full steam for the duration.  Point made.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Well the coach is only coaching for 30 minutes, so it follows suit that the players wouldn't complete 60. Have we seen a half-time adjustment this year? We HAVE, by every team playing us...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

It has a lot to do with them losing a lot of team leaders over the last few years. Rodney, Teddy, Vrebel, Troy to name a few. No one has really stepped up to fill those leadership needs. The kind of money they paid Thomas and he brings nothing. Moss is a great play but I'd hardly call him a team leader.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Well the coach is only coaching for 30 minutes, so it follows suit that the players wouldn't complete 60. Have we seen a half-time adjustment this year? We HAVE, by every team playing us...
    Posted by jedinate

Very good point...other teams are making adjustments; Pats are forcing the same bits that aren't working, as the opposition gets back into the game.

Honestly, I never thought I'd see a BB team not play hard.  This type of cancer can ruin any team.  Ironically, most (if not all) of the players are aware of the reputation in NE for winning; running a tight ship.  It's just plain wierd to have to point out that they are not putting in 60.  Perhaps, this started a few years, ago, when they seemed to have stopped playing hard against the Giants in the second half of the SB...as though it continues to ripple through the franchise.

Sections
Shortcuts