Are The Patriots Too Dependent On Tom Brady?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Are The Patriots Too Dependent On Tom Brady?

Brief article accompanied by video from ESPN Boston.  And the answer is yes!

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4720426/are-pats-too-dependent-on-brady

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Are The Patriots Too Dependent On Tom Brady?

They are a better team when they don't depend on Brady so much. It makes Brady even better too. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Yes. We need Vareen and Ridley to help change that this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Sure, who wouldn't want a more  balanced attack?

Amore consistent RB effort would be nice too...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yes they are.  There have been games where they have had a balanced offense but the problem is the Patriots do not have a big time running threat.  Until they can put someone in the backfield that scares defenses then a balanced attack isn't going to do anything for this offense.  Let's see some good running from Vareem and Ridley and the whole offense will open up.  I would like to bring in a legit RB threat and this offense would be unreal.  Talk about offensive records being broken.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

With regards to the passing game I find Tom has to throw into much smaller windows than most other 'elite' quarterbacks....The talent outside the hashes has been decidedly sub-par since 2007, I rewatched the 1st half of the superbowl a few days ago and when they went to a 3 wide look they had Branch and Edelman outside the hashes.  There is no team in the NFL that is concerned about that, and not surprisingly neither player did a thing that game.  So yes, I do think they ask a bit too much of him.  Hopefully Lloyd can change that, and if we're really lucky either Stallworth or Chad will make a legitimate impact this season.  I respect Deion Branch an enormous amount for the contributions he's made to this franchise, but the guy just can't separate anymore.  He shouldn't be on the field in 2 wide packages if you ask me.  Not to mention having a legitimate outside the numbers presence will force safeties to play farther outside the hashes, which should open things up for the running game, the TEs, and Wes.  It sounds so good on paper don't it Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

This is why I don't come here anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Yes. It is quite obvious that he takes way more chances when he feels he has to hang 40+ points every week to win, without the help of a running game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Too Dependent On Tom Brady?:
    Yes. It is quite obvious that he takes way more chances when he feels he has to hang 40+ points every week to win, without the help of a running game.
    Posted by FishTaco64

the team wouldn't have to hang 40 if their defense could win some games....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Most definetly yes. Too dependant on him and the air it out all the time offense. No bigtime running back to close out games or any semblance of a dominating defense. Been the same since 2007. Once again in FA the Pats have loaded up on wide receivers and appear to want to go with the air it out everywhere approach. Works well in the regular season where all sorts of records are set but seems to fail at crunch time in the post season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah, but teams like the Jets are too dependent on guys like Mark Sanchez. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Great point prolate0sheroid!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Not by design, but when the defense is a sieve somebody has to score points to win. Unfortunately, lately if they aren't relying on Brady to win games then they're not winning games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

No Brady, QB who hasn't started since high school, and still an 11-5 record. Do not see any dependency here. Taking WW out of the picture for the last 3 or 4 years may have been more damaging. Patriots philosophy NEXT MAN UP.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Most definetly yes. Too dependant on him and the air it out all the time offense. No bigtime running back to close out games or any semblance of a dominating defense. Been the same since 2007. Once again in FA the Pats have loaded up on wide receivers and appear to want to go with the air it out everywhere approach. Works well in the regular season where all sorts of records are set but seems to fail at crunch time in the post season.
    Posted by Brad34

Hopefully they will use most of the draft picks to load up with young
    defensive talent. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by MoreRings

Vereen and Ridley are not the answer. The Patriots will add a quality RB either through trade (Stephen Jackson??), or through the draft. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The star system is firmly in place in NE.  Its not just Brady although his contract is the biggest drain on the cap, but Wilfork, Mankins, and now a large tag for Welker.  Restructuring currently puts these 4 at about 33 mill for 2012, but 2013 will be a more difficult year. 

Due to restruc - Brady's cap 21.8, mank 10, wilf 10.6, welker?? that's over 42 mill for 3 players. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Quite frankly I don't think it matters who the Pats have at RB.  The way the running game was done last year was odd to me.  BJGE would have a terrific series then wouldn't be seen until the 2nd half some time.  No consistency. 

It would be nice if the defense stepped it up a notch.  Dumping safetys and CBs during the season is not the way to build a defense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Posted by MoreRings

Agreed, with Vareen, Ridley,Woodhed, and the new additions of FB's Larsen and Fiammetta I do not see any additions to that area of offence. The team would not have invested a 2nd and 3rd pick last yr. at RB only to bury them in the depth chart behind other teams cast offs or expensive FA problems. I also would not have expected them to let BJGE walk, especially for about 3 mill a year if they wanted someone to start before Ridley or Vereen. And If the injury bug becomes a factor serviceable RB's are always available.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Are The Patriots Too Dependent On Tom Brady?":
    The star system is firmly in place in NE.  Its not just Brady although his contract is the biggest drain on the cap, but Wilfork, Mankins, and now a large tag for Welker.  Restructuring currently puts these 4 at about 33 mill for 2012, but 2013 will be a more difficult year.  Due to restruc - Brady's cap 21.8, mank 10, wilf 10.6, welker?? that's over 42 mill for 3 players.  Posted by UD6
    8.5, and 9 mil is what I saw for 2013 on Wilfork and Mankins but regardless the nfl tv contract expires after this year and the new contract is expected to be higher and in turn the cap is expected to increase significantly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Too Dependent On Tom Brady? :      Vereen and Ridley are not the answer. The Patriots will add a quality RB either through trade (Stephen Jackson??), or through the draft. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Honestly, who can the Pats draft that will come in as a rookie and be better than
    Ridley or Vareen this season?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Too Dependent On Tom Brady? : Agreed, with Vareen, Ridley,Woodhed, and the new additions of FB's Larsen and Fiammetta I do not see any additions to that area of offence. The team would not have invested a 2nd and 3rd pick last yr. at RB only to bury them in the depth chart behind other teams cast offs or expensive FA problems. I also would not have expected them to let BJGE walk, especially for about 3 mill a year if they wanted someone to start before Ridley or Vereen. And If the injury bug becomes a factor serviceable RB's are always available.
    Posted by part-timer

Exactly, with a full pre-season and one year under their belts (albeit a short one for Vareen) someone should step up and make eveyone forget about Benny.  I hope Ridley holds onto the ball this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Quite frankly I don't think it matters who the Pats have at RB.  The way the running game was done last year was odd to me.  BJGE would have a terrific series then wouldn't be seen until the 2nd half some time.  No consistency.  It would be nice if the defense stepped it up a notch.  Dumping safetys and CBs during the season is not the way to build a defense.
    Posted by garytx

According to a comment I heard on NFL radio this morning when talking contracts, neither do the pats.  They have specifically chosen to not make it an important position from a financial perspective.  This is much the same as the colts did with Linebackers until they paid Brackett.  All others came and went. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Too Dependent On Tom Brady? : Honestly, who can the Pats draft that will come in as a rookie and be better than Ridley or Vareen this season?
    Posted by MoreRings

Doug Martin, Chris Bolk, Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Isiah Pead, Robert Turbin. Vereen is an unknown quantity. Ridley showed flashes. But, seriously, do you feel comfortable with him as the #1 RB? Both Vereen and Woodhead are complimentary/3rd down type RBs. The Pats need another guy who can run off-tackle.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to Re: Are The Patriots Too Dependent On Tom Brady? :      Doug Martin, Chris Bolk, Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Isiah Pead, Robert Turbin. Vereen is an unknown quantity. Ridley showed flashes. But, seriously, do you feel comfortable with him as the #1 RB? Both Vereen and Woodhead are complimentary/3rd down type RBs. The Pats need another guy who can run off-tackle.
    Posted by TexasPat3

Yes, there is concern.  Just not sure the guys you mentioned just step in and
    make everything better.  Not to mention the picks we would use up on
    RB's the last 2 years just doesnt make sense.

Sections
Shortcuts