Are the Patriots too old?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Are the Patriots too old?

Been hearing this a lot with pickups of Ellis, Carter, Waters, and Haynesworth (who really isn't old, turned 30 last month).  And I was thinking about the guys that left and here is what I came up with which shows a younger team.  I tried to line the positions up the best I could but some differences like 3 QB's and 2 TE's made it impossible.  I think you could reasonably say I showed the replacements for players that left.

OUT                    IN                difference
    Morris     34      Ridley   22      Y
    Taylor     35     Vereen   22      Y
    Tate        23     Ocho     33      O
    Kaczur    32      Solder    23     Y
    Levoir     29      Wendell  25     Y
    Bussey    26      Cannon  23     Y
    Neal       34       Waters   34     S
    Deaderick 24     Love      24      S
    TBC          31    Tarpinian 23     Y
    Murrell     26     Anderson 28     O
    Meri         27     Barrett     26    Y
    Page        26      Brown     23    Y
    Wheatley  26      Molden    26    S
    Wilhite      27      Dowling   23   Y
    Sanders    27     Idehigbo   27   S
    Ingram     26      Dearth     35   O
    Warren     30      Haynesw  30   S
    Weston     24      Carter      32   O
    Cohen       25      Ellis         34   O
    Crumpler   33      Mallett     23   Y

So in 20 positions they are younger in 10, Older in 5, and the same in 5.  It also struck me how many roster changes there were.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Are the Patriots too old?

Only position we're really old in is the dline and at WRs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

BB will fix it next draft

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

If Price steps up then WR's are more then fine if injury occurs. 

Our dline has 10 players.. age don't matter there.

Simple as that to me. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good info, well done.

Just goes to show that while keeping young talent in some areas to develop long term BB has decided on the "get a ring this year" approach for this season by bringing in older vets in other areas due to the very short off season.  I like it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Patriots too old?:
    [QUOTE]BB has decided on the "get a ring this year" Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayclay. Show rayclay's posts

That's insane. We spent the last few years getting younger at almost every position and it continued this year.  The addition of a few vets that can put us over the top, most of them on one year deals, doesn't make us too old.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

In a word,no! The only older position is the defensive line and none of them have to be fulltime players with the really terrific depth they have there.Plus with Deadrick and Bruce still under their control(along with Love and Pryor)there is some young depth and Anderson isjlust 28.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

Actually, the list seems to have confirmed the Pats got younger.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i think in a lot of key positions...there are season vets... there is enough youth spread through out the team and BB has definately infused youth...over last 3 years...

but this year he went with veterans over youth... not doubt about it...  yeatman smith austin tate maneri all potentially good players...but i guess we will have to see how it all plays out...  seems other gms are getting wise to bill

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

goldilocks would dig this team

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

We refurbished the O LIne (Vollmer, Cannon, Solder Mankins signing). And now Waters gives experience and more depth. The Patriots are old at WR (Branch and Chad), but Gronk and Hernandez mean weare set at TE. Signing Welker becomes a priority in the off-season. Young at RB (Law Firm, Ridley, Vereen). D line could be dark horse pick in 2012 (Haynesworth and Ellis are old.....ish). Spikes and Mayo make a good young ILB tandem. We rebuilt on the fly and did a pretty good job.

Sections
Shortcuts