Are these jersey numbers retired?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Are these jersey numbers retired?

For example: 78, 57, 56, 73.

I've never taken the time to see if these players (and we all know who they were) had their numbers OFFICIALLY retired by the team. So, does anyone know if they are completely off limits, or is it just UNDERSTOOD that no Patriots wear these numbers?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Are these jersey numbers retired?

There's not much info on the net, at least what I could find, but I found this in 'Ask Reiss' back in 2006:

A: Because they already have seven retired numbers, it's quite possible the Patriots can't afford to not issue those numbers (Vinatieri and McGinest). This topic came up in a casual conversation with a team official during the 2005 season about how to deal with such a problem in the future. One possibility is creating a Ring of Honor -- similar to what is seen in other stadiums, like Denver -- without retiring a number. The Patriots' retired numbers are Gino Cappelletti (20), Mike Haynes (40), Steve Nelson (57), John Hannah (73), Bruce Armstrong (78), Jim Lee Hunt (79) and Bob Dee (89). It's possible if some of those numbers go in a possible Ring of Fame, they could be re-issued to current players. If nothing changes with the Patriots' plans on retiring numbers, given those numbers already retired, I'd say No. 4 and No. 55 should join them.

And this from wikipedia:

In addition to the seven players above, QB Steve Grogan (14), QB Babe Parilli (15), LB Andre Tippett (56) and LB Nick Buoniconti (85) were inducted into the Patriots' Hall of Fame. Although their numbers have not been officially retired, none were worn by Patriots players in the 2005 season. However, in the 2006 season, #14 is currently being worn by Vinny Testaverde and #15 by Ken Walter. Doug Gabriel wore #85 during the 2006 season until his release.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

IPF, I found this hope it helps.

New England Patriots Retired Numbers

Listed below are the retired football jersey numbers of former New England Patriots players.

New England Patriots Retired Numbers
    NumPlayer
    20Gino Cappelletti
    40Mike Haynes
    56Andre Tippett
    57Steve Nelson
    73John Hannah
    78Bruce Armstrong
    79Jim Hunt
    89Bob Dee

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

That's a good question Patsfan. Julius had a great 16 year career with New England. I have fond memories of him and Sugar Ray Hamilton on the D-line. He deserves to be in the Patriots HOF.