Are we really that bad on defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Are we really that bad on defense?

I just do not have an explanation how this team could be this so bad on defense. Maybe it is just the decline of pass defenses overall?

Worst in NFL history with over 50% 3rd down conversion.
    2nd worst in NFL history in terms of yards allowed per game

You ask who is the only other team worse in terms of passing yards allowed pg?

2010 Houston Texans

3rd on the list behind the Pats?

2010 Washington Redskins

So what  do we have here,  bad  defenses or simply decline of pass defenses overall. It is mind boggling to see a Bill Belichick team field one of the worst defenses in NFL history statistically. Hard to believe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Are we really that bad on defense?

Rules have been -- and are continuing to be -- skewed overwhelmingly in favor of offense, so it's not really surprising to see these statistics showing current teams at the bottom of the heap. The Pats defense plays the way it does to make the best use of the personnel it has, but I would be interested to see what these numbers looked like if you could introduce some kind of "garbage time" metric.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Furthermore, I'd argue that a good portion of those yards came with the game out of reach for our opponents.  Roethlisberger threw for 300 yards, most of which came with the Pats up 20 points in prevent defense.  Same goes for Carson Palmer, who stunk when it mattered and put up yardage when the Pats had the game put away.

We're alright on defense, and for the time being we make enough plays when it matters to win games and be 8-2.  Hopefully they keep improving.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

In Response to Re: Are we really that bad on defense?:
    Furthermore, I'd argue that a good portion of those yards came with the game out of reach for our opponents.  Roethlisberger threw for 300 yards, most of which came with the Pats up 20 points in prevent defense.  Same goes for Carson Palmer, who stunk when it mattered and put up yardage when the Pats had the game put away. We're alright on defense, and for the time being we make enough plays when it matters to win games and be 8-2.  Hopefully they keep improving.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

The question is why do the Pats go to a prevent defense in 4th quarter? You do not go into a prevent offense against Peyton Manning. He will just go down the field in 2 minutes and score.  So in the end, what will the prevent accomplish? It is like letting them score at ease.  The same thing against the Chargers and Steelers. It was a close call in SD and we were a field goal from losing the game. Why not just play the game like they played it for  3 quarters and just take your chances. 

When you look back at the 2001-2005 Pats defenses, it just makes you appreciate them on.  How did they hold a younger Peyton Manning with Wayne and Harrison in their prime,  to 3 points  is astonishing.   Defenses just do not dominate the same way anymore.  I think if you put those  defenses on the field today, they wouldnt dominate as much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Posted by themightypatriotz

I am not a troll, just asking a legitimate question.

Relax!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Are we really that bad on defense? : How did they hold a younger Peyton Manning with Wayne and Harrison in their prime,  to 3 points  is astonishing.   Defenses just do not dominate the same way anymore.  I think if you put those  defenses on the field today, they wouldnt dominate as much.
    Posted by Spetznaz24

Well, Spetz, one of the problems is that teams are simply not allowed, by rule, to play defense the way those Patriot teams did. Physical play in the secondary has all but been abolished.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

We actually aren't all that bad on defense. Don't look at yards/game and look at points/game. Since the game is decided by the team with the most points and not the most yards it's a much better judge of a defenses performance. In points we rank 23rd. Now you have to figure that we've had at least 4 games I know of that the D held the opponent up until the 4th when they went into a prevent defense (which is frustrating but they still won regardless of how many points the gave up in that prevent). In reality looking just at points and taking into account the amount of points they gave up in the prevent I would put the Pats in the middle of the pact in defense. They haven't been great but no where near where people think they are either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

In Response to Re: Are we really that bad on defense? : Well, Spetz, one of the problems is that teams are simply not allowed, by rule, to play defense the way those Patriot teams did. Physical play in the secondary has all but been abolished.
    Posted by p-mike

That's probably the case and it is  frustrating.  What you have in the league now is even the best defensive teams look lost against a good passing attack.  Who hasn't been torched this year on multiple times?  Even the Bills managed to get 400 yds of offense against the Ravens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbruce9. Show sbruce9's posts

In Response to Re: Are we really that bad on defense? : Well, Spetz, one of the problems is that teams are simply not allowed, by rule, to play defense the way those Patriot teams did. Physical play in the secondary has all but been abolished.
    Posted by p-mike

I miss those days.  I am in favor of some of the new rules against helmet to helmet contact (if they were enforced impartially), but I wish the DB's and LB's
    still had the ability to rough up the receivers before the pass.  Pass coverage has become almost taboo.  The only teams that get a pass are teams that historically play a rougher style of defense (i.e. Steelers).

Sections
Shortcuts